HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 01:10 AM
sunnydaycrash

vCash: 500
It's funny, the one cliche Hunter got right was....it's hockey......I still like McPhee,....I think he's drafted well at least in the last 5 years, made some shrewd trades, and he's really passionate about this team,.....anyone see what kind of wreck he was watching the games up top.......give me McPhee over Tallon, Sather, Burke.....hell over every GM not named Ken Holland......it's a crap shoot most of the time, ......look at the Flyers, after the 1st round , everyone said the Cup was there's,....this after they beat the Pens who were the cup faves.....look out west, Kings beat the Canucks and Blues......this after everyone laughed at the Kings for hiring Daryl Sutter, and praised the Blues for hiring Hitchcock......again it's a crapshoot......it's not a perfect art.....mind you, there are horrid GMs like Milbury, Rejean Houle, John Ferguson, etc, but for the most part , most GMs are mediocre to good,......I think Mcphees a good GM and I'd rather a good GM over a crappy GM any day.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:14 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think McPhee is a very good GM. But he's been unable to build the team properly, and he seems to be set in the particular way he wants to do things with this set of personnel. I also think his biases for players the Caps have drafted and developed is clouding his view of how the team should be constructed.

It's time for a new perspective--a fresh set of eyes to look at this set of personnel in a new way.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Like who? Who is out there that would be an upgrade over McPhee? I don't think there is anyone who doesn't already have a GM job that would be an upgrade.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:22 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think McPhee is a very good GM. But he's been unable to build the team properly, and he seems to be set in the particular way he wants to do things with this set of personnel. I also think his biases for players the Caps have drafted and developed is clouding his view of how the team should be constructed.

It's time for a new perspective--a fresh set of eyes to look at this set of personnel in a new way.
That's what I'm afraid of Wiz.......what Carlzner said.....there is no one out there....with our luck, we'd get the next Scott Howson.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Like who? Who is out there that would be an upgrade over McPhee? I don't think there is anyone who doesn't already have a GM job that would be an upgrade.
I'm not a professional headhunter. I don't know who's out there. Jarmo Kekäläinen is a guy that's been a potential candidate for GM openings for years.

But I do know there is a larger pool than just 30 guys that can be good NHL GMs.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:16 AM
txpd

i say, lets fire him. lets let him go to columbus and take ross mahoney with him and fishman and his staff. we can start with a new gm and a new coaching staff. we can trade off several of this group's signature players and start fresh.

then when they deliver another first or second round playoff out, we can all say it has nothing to do with the past and the franchise and that this group will be different if we give them time. i remember many here saying just that about the ovechkin caps.

lets do it. i am getting old and my interest is waning. frankly next spring, i think the nationals have a decent shot at my attentions.

i'm numb

Old
05-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
That's what I'm afraid of Wiz.......what Carlzner said.....there is no one out there....with our luck, we'd get the next Scott Howson.

Mr. Howson and Mr. McPhee are essentially equal: zero Stanley Cups.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:31 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Brian Burke has a Stanley Cup, so I guess that makes him a better GM than GMGM.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:47 AM
txpd

Quote:
thats like saying that gus frettote and sonny jurgensen are essestially equal. thats just stupid.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I think you guys are insane. He took a laughingstock of a team and made them contenders.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:07 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I think you guys are insane. He took a laughingstock of a team and made them contenders.
if we didnt win the lottery in 2004 wed still be a disgrace... likely

Old
05-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Millhaus

Part of being a good GM simply acquiring talent and part of it is putting the puzzle together. McPhee is a very good talent acquirer IMO but I don't feel those pieces all fit together including the coach/style of play.

Now personally I feel acquiring talent is tougher than putting the puzzle together so I would like McPhee to stay. I've seen enough talent deficient Caps teams in my day and fear those days again more than what I have seen from McPhee since the fire sale.

If Hunter does not come back the decision on who the next coach will be will be his most important one in some time. And regardless the roster needs to be built to fit the identity McPhee and the coach wants this team to have going forward.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:10 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
that is also not remotely accurate. they get cam barker and dont start improving for a couple more seasons. that means they may end up with kane and toews instead of backstrom and alzner. i'd rather have backstrom and alzner but kane and toews have a cup now and must be better players.

Last edited by txpd: 05-13-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old
05-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
Or maybe they win the 2005 lottery instead and Crosby is a Cap. Getting Ovechkin and where this team is today did not happen in a bubble. No Ovechkin means at least the '05, '06, and '07 drafts look very different for the Caps.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:55 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Welcome to Capitals world.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:01 AM
n3ss

Quote:
Cool. Now lets get someone who can take us to the next level.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i say, lets fire him. lets let him go to columbus and take ross mahoney with him and fishman and his staff. we can start with a new gm and a new coaching staff. we can trade off several of this group's signature players and start fresh.

then when they deliver another first or second round playoff out, we can all say it has nothing to do with the past and the franchise and that this group will be different if we give them time. i remember many here saying just that about the ovechkin caps.

lets do it. i am getting old and my interest is waning. frankly next spring, i think the nationals have a decent shot at my attentions.

i'm numb
+1
I really cannot understand all the bitterness displayed towards this organization after last nights loss. It's hard to build a SC winning roster. It's hard to win the SC on the ice.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:17 AM
sycamore

Its not a matter of firing him (yet), its about Leonsis getting after him and telling "you better damn well be aggressive in the free agent market this summer, or else."

Old
05-13-2012, 09:27 AM
G3 LesPaul

I support McPhee all the way. He is a good GM. But he needs to pull a Philly and a huge questionable move this off season. I know that is not him but that's why he needs to take a risk.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:29 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Its not a matter of firing him (yet), its about Leonsis getting after him and telling "you better damn well be aggressive in the free agent market this summer, or else."
you think being aggressive is better. some think being aggressive proves they care. leonsis had been aggressive. have we forgotten already? the caps landed by far the biggest fish on the market and then one of the top free agents to play with him. the team got worse. he has forced mcphee to be aggressive. remember jagr and robert lang and how well all that went?

ive said this before. here it is again. many around here want some wheeling and dealing. they want big name free agents. they want players run out of town. they dont want to hear about patience.

ladies and gentleman i present you the philadelphia flyers. lost in 5 games in the second round. they havent won a cup since the mid 1970's.

be careful what you wish for

Old
05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I support McPhee all the way. He is a good GM. But he needs to pull a Philly and a huge questionable move this off season. I know that is not him but that's why he needs to take a risk.
where did that get the flyers? you are cool with mcphee taking a big risk and destroying the team or not getting any closer to the cup? you just want to see action.

lets trade ovechkin and mike green. what do you say?

Old
05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
you think being aggressive is better. some think being aggressive proves they care. leonsis had been aggressive. have we forgotten already? the caps landed by far the biggest fish on the market and then one of the top free agents to play with him. the team got worse. he has forced mcphee to be aggressive. remember jagr and robert lang and how well all that went?

ive said this before. here it is again. many around here want some wheeling and dealing. they want big name free agents. they want players run out of town. they dont want to hear about patience.

ladies and gentleman i present you the philadelphia flyers. lost in 5 games in the second round. they havent won a cup since the mid 1970's.

be careful what you wish for
I'd take aggressive if it was smarter aggressive. I mean, the Flyers failed but look where aggressive got the Kings (coupled with a smart coaching change, obviously).

Old
05-13-2012, 09:40 AM
um

Quote:
that is also not remotely accurate. they get cam barker and dont start improving for a couple more seasons. that means they may end up with kane and toews instead of backstrom and alzner. i'd rather have backstrom and alzner but kane and toews have a cup now and must be better players.
what if we drafted van riemsdyk and johnson or turris or staal, its unlikely that we get toews and kane

Old
05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I'd take aggressive if it was smarter aggressive. I mean, the Flyers failed but look where aggressive got the Kings (coupled with a smart coaching change, obviously).
And the Flyers also lost their best defenseman. It's very possible Pronger could have been enough of a boost to get them past the Devils. If that's happened, they'd crush the Rangers.

Even with their loss, who's looking better going forward?

Old
05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
I just did a spit take.......well then let's trade Ovechkin for Colton Orr, neither have a cup......see how that works?

Closed Thread