HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Regular vs hockey roller blades?

Old
05-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
Regular vs hockey roller blades?

Just wondering....is there a significant difference b/t hockey inline skates and regular ones? I've heard you can go faster on normal ones but you can turn better on hockey skates? I've always used normal inline ones and haven't had a huge problem but need a new pair and thinking of making the switch. The hockey roller blades seemed to be priced at a lot higher here and I've had trouble finding a size since the stores have so few of them anyways. Plus they seem uncomfortable at the top part where your leg is, they seem like they would cause your leg to get sore where the top tip of the skate is after a playing for a while unlike the inline ones which are padded at the top.

If it's a difference in wheels then not a big concern either because you can always get cheap wheels online and usually need to replace them based on the ones that come with the roller blades anyways.

This is for playing on pavement or asphalt btw. Thx

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:17 PM
AIREAYE

If you're looking to play street hockey or roller, obviously get the hockey boot. If you're just skating around, you can choose. The hockey boot has more support laterally. Yes there is a significant difference. If it fits well, there shouldn't be comfort issues with hockey boots.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:49 AM
Hank4Hart

BIG difference when you are moving laterally or doing crossovers... the ankle support on those inline skates are really flimsy.....

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Regular inline skates feel way too soft. If you're doing anything that requires you to be agile, get hockey inline skates.

Like the guys above me said, if you're looking to just skate casually, a pair of regular inlines will do.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:47 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Just wondering....is there a significant difference b/t hockey inline skates and regular ones? I've heard you can go faster on normal ones but you can turn better on hockey skates? I've always used normal inline ones and haven't had a huge problem but need a new pair and thinking of making the switch. The hockey roller blades seemed to be priced at a lot higher here and I've had trouble finding a size since the stores have so few of them anyways. Plus they seem uncomfortable at the top part where your leg is, they seem like they would cause your leg to get sore where the top tip of the skate is after a playing for a while unlike the inline ones which are padded at the top.

If it's a difference in wheels then not a big concern either because you can always get cheap wheels online and usually need to replace them based on the ones that come with the roller blades anyways.

This is for playing on pavement or asphalt btw. Thx
There's a reason why they're more expensive. They're usually constructed better.

Recreational ice skates are much cheaper than hockey ice skates too, but you'd be insane to try to play a game of hockey with these:

Rec skates just aren't built for the quick cuts, sharp turns, and hard stops that come along with hockey.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote