HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who do Islander, Flyer and Penguins fans want to see win the ECF?

View Poll Results: Who do Islander, Flyer and Penguin fans want to see win the ECF?
New Jersey Devils 160 70.80%
New York Rangers 66 29.20%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Mr. T

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Devils, easily. Their fans aren't miserable complainers and their coach isn't a whiny loudmouth.

Every other year I'd agree entirely...and most Penguins fans don't see the Rangers as long-term rivals. It's been a one-sided non-rivalry these past few years (Rangers fans recycling 6 year old Flyer fan rhetoric that even Flyer fans gave up on while ago compared to absolutely no vitriol coming from the Pittsburgh side of things), if it can even be classified as a rivalry. The Rangers have never won more than 2 games in a playoff series against the Penguins, so we have absolutely no reason to hate them for what has happened in the past...and generally they're my least hated team in the division (the Islanders have done far more damage to the Penguins in their history)...but between Torterella and the fans...I can only root for them to crash and burn this year.

Almost any other year I'd be rooting for the Rangers over the Devils...but Devils fans haven't pissed me off in a while and they're a well-run organization (on the hockey side of things, at least) that doesn't openly make a mockery of the game like Torterella and his inane conspiracy theories and rants.

Whoever fills the third rival spot for the Penguins seems to change on a yearly basis. This year it's the Rangers, last year it was the Islanders, before that it was the Red Wings, then the Senators...
Well said.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Oilers93

vCash: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Devils, easily. Their fans aren't miserable complainers and their coach isn't a whiny loudmouth.

Every other year I'd agree entirely...and most Penguins fans don't see the Rangers as long-term rivals. It's been a one-sided non-rivalry these past few years (Rangers fans recycling 6 year old Flyer fan rhetoric that even Flyer fans gave up on while ago compared to absolutely no vitriol coming from the Pittsburgh side of things), if it can even be classified as a rivalry. The Rangers have never won more than 2 games in a playoff series against the Penguins, so we have absolutely no reason to hate them for what has happened in the past...and generally they're my least hated team in the division (the Islanders have done far more damage to the Penguins in their history)...but between Torterella and the fans...I can only root for them to crash and burn this year.

Almost any other year I'd be rooting for the Rangers over the Devils...but Devils fans haven't pissed me off in a while and they're a well-run organization (on the hockey side of things, at least) that doesn't openly make a mockery of the game like Torterella and his inane conspiracy theories and rants.

Whoever fills the third rival spot for the Penguins seems to change on a yearly basis. This year it's the Rangers, last year it was the Islanders, before that it was the Red Wings, then the Senators...
I agree with this. The Devils seem to have some integrity with how they run things, through their management (ex. DeBoer) and even some of their fans. Tortorella is a complete ******* and their fans (not all, but a good amount) must take influence from him. Go Devils, but only until the SCF.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Isles and Pens fans = rooting for Devils

Flyers fans = don't care as long as the team that advances loses to the Kings

Old
05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Very few non-Rangers fans want The Rangers to win.

OK, that's my opinion without looking at the poll or reading any of the thread.

Now I'll look:

OK, 73% devils to 23% Rangers. That looks like a landslide.

Just imagine if the Rangers had a history of winning like the Yankees....talk about an evil empire!

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 05-13-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Took a look
Old
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossgalov View Post
I agree with this. The Devils seem to have some integrity with how they run things, through their management (ex. DeBoer) and even some of their fans. Tortorella is a complete ******* and their fans (not all, but a good amount) must take influence from him. Go Devils, but only until the SCF.
Obviously I'm not an impartial party, but I have never seen a fanbase on these boards ***** and moan as much as the Rangers. They were in first place in the league, and the amount of whining going on over there was amazing!

Every loss: The Refs. The post.
Every Win: Overcame the Refs.

Granted there is a huge following over there, so proportionately the amount of valid posts vs. complaining is probably the same as any other board. Don't get me wrong, they do have a solid group of knowledgeable hockey fans. They also seem to have a lot of wah-babies.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:48 PM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

Haters gonna hate...I feel like there's a lot of likable guys on the team too. But yea, obviously Isles and Flyers fans will root for NJ.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossgalov View Post
I love that other fan bases hate Torts. For once we have a coach who doesn't take any crap from ANYONE. Not the media, not the other coaches, not the opposing players, not OUR players.

And guess what? WE are not the leagues punching bag anymore. So you can all **** off because you miss the old Rangers.

Torts is The Man.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Affinity

We do have a pretty obnoxious fanbase. I would hate us too. Shame too cos the guys on the team are pretty likable.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
We do have a pretty obnoxious fanbase. I would hate us too. Shame too cos the guys on the team are pretty likable.
the coach ruins it though.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:06 PM
rmd3003

Quote:
This... Wow, finally normal Rangers fan with common sense. Hats off.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I love that other fan bases hate Torts. For once we have a coach who doesn't take any crap from ANYONE. Not the media, not the other coaches, not the opposing players, not OUR players.

And guess what? WE are not the leagues punching bag anymore. So you can all **** off because you miss the old Rangers.

Torts is The Man.
Wow! You gotta respect Torts! Torts is the ultimate badass who overcomes the media, and refs! Hes soooo coool!

Old
05-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
the coach ruins it though.
So is our choice Tortorella as coach or more HFBoards people on our bandwagon?

...Yeah, I take the coach.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Jgboys1

1 more vote for the Devils.

Old
05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd3003 View Post
This... Wow, finally normal Rangers fan with common sense. Hats off.
Don't worry I think your fanbase is obnoxious too But for completely different reasons!

Old
05-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
I only voted for NY because I want to see a NY/LA finals. Otherwise I wouldn't have voted for them. I agree with what others have said. Whiny coach, etc etc.

As for the finals, I hope the West takes the cup this year. Anyone but NY and NJ

Old
05-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
If isles were in with any of the teams in the atlantic other than rangers I'd want them. I always go for a NY team, then I'd prefer Philly to win over devils and penguins.

I'd be freaked out if any Ranger fans cheered for us if the situation was flopped, it's blasphemy

Old
05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
I like you

Most Ranger fans get extremely defensive when I say anything of the sort, but it's just the truth and the reason why a lot of fans of outside teams don't like the Rangers. And I always say this too, that isn't anything against you not annoying and well educated Ranger fans out there. But if you look at the fanbase objectively, you may realize how annoying they can be.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I never understood why Pens fans consider the Rangers a rival. They're always irrelevent (outside of this season), and I find Lundquist pretty likable. Devils already had too much success. Not a fan of either, voted for NJ, but ultimately I won't be upset at whichever teams makes the finals.

In the finals, however, I want nothing but failure for both clubs.
How old are you? If you don't understand why the Pens consider the Rangers a rival, you've got some history to research on. Pens/Rangers were a great rivalry in the old Patrick division.

Adam Graves slash on Lemieux?

Old
05-13-2012, 10:10 PM
RoyalDuder

Every fan base is insufferable at some point for a multitude of reasons. No team is exempt from that. Typically, it's going to be the team with the most success as well, which right now is the Rangers. What makes it worse is that Rangers fans are ready to bring up all the failed claims that the team would "fall back to earth" midway through the regular season. It's like some of us feel that we have a license to talk trash because of it.

Not to say it isn't deserved, however. It has been refreshing to one up the doubters, but that does go a little far for some of us. I don't think the Ranger's success ends this post-season either so once they're routinely considered as a threat then I think most of the trash talk will cease, and with it the hate the team receives.

I could see Tortorella being a love 'em or hate 'em kind of guy and for opposing teams that choice is easy. Personally, I love him.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Pens fan here.

Honestly I don't care who wins between the Rangers and Devils. I just can't wait to watch the series. Makes me think of the old Patrick division days and what a battle it'll be.

Yeah, Torts called us classless but he says a lot of things. He says a lot of stuff and works the officials/league well. Can't take that personal. Plus, I'm a big fan of Rupper on the Rangers. Hell of a nice guy.

I'd like LA to win the cup because:

1) Seeing Scuderi raise the cup again

and

2) Richards/Carter raising the cup would troll Holmgren and the Philly media

Old
05-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
How old are you? If you don't understand why the Pens consider the Rangers a rival, you've got some history to research on. Pens/Rangers were a great rivalry in the old Patrick division.

Adam Graves slash on Lemieux?
It's funny usually this line is sarcastic, insulting and full of spite. However, this time it is an accurate legitimate question.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:27 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Brodeur whines a ton, but he doesn't accuse the league of conspiring against his team every time there's a bad call.

In other words, he doesn't wear a tinfoil hat. Tortorella and Lundqvist both do. That's what bugs me.

And Brodeur's actually won meaningful things in the NHL, whereas Lundqvist has not. (Not to diminish his Olympic gold, which is excellent but in a different arena.)
No, brodeur just throws his own players under the bus.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:44 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No, brodeur just throws his own players under the bus.
Of all the crazy claims against Brodeur.. what's this one about now?

Old
05-13-2012, 11:22 PM
VT Isles Fan

Definitely rooting for the Devils, chalk it up to our common hatred of the Rag$

However, wouldn't be surprised if the league (read refs) pull out the stops to get a LA-NY Final for NBC.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Devils for sure. Cannot stand the Rangers.

Closed Thread