HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who is the MVP of the playoffs thus far?

View Poll Results: Who's the MVP (remaining players)
Lundqvist 71 14.17%
Brad Richards 20 3.99%
Kovalchuk 22 4.39%
Zajac 11 2.20%
Quick 101 20.16%
Brown 194 38.72%
Mike Smith 80 15.97%
Vermette 2 0.40%
Voters: 501. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

vCash: 500
Don't really care who's leading at this point. With the goalies left though, be shocked if the eventual winner wasn't the goalie of the Cup winning team.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:40 PM
bland

Smith, hands down.

Dustin Brown is the runner-up. He's been the catalyst for the Kings intense pressure and constraint. When they needed him, Quick's been there every time. However, the way the Kings are winning has been dictated by the way their forwards have come out and set the tone every night. Brown has set that pace every night, and he hasn't let up yet.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Mad Max

It's between Smith and Lundqvist. Quick has been playing very well, but the Kings are also averaging over 3 goals a game.

Lundqvist may be 8-6 in 14 games, but he also has a 1.68 GAA and a .937 SV%. In the Rangers' 8 wins, they won by scores of 1-0 or 2-1 in literally half of them. They're struggling just to average 2 goals a game. The Rangers will go as far as Lundqvist takes them.

Smith has a 1.77 GAA and a .948 SV%. He's made huge saves, even more so than Lundqvist.

The difference comes down to facing shots. Smith faces an average of 33.8 shots per 60 minutes. Lundqvist faces an average of 26.6 shots per 60 minutes.

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'm going with Brown.

And I'll probably be in a very small minority, but I'll take Mike Richards over Quick. Quick has been phenomenal when they needed him to be, but I really like the way Richards has stepped up in these playoffs.

Also, while there's no chance in hell that he would actually make one of these lists, I take McDonagh ahead of Brad Richards. McDonagh has been insanely good on the back end.

Right now, overall ranks:

Brown
Smith
Kovalchuk
M. Richards
Lundqvist
McDonagh
Quick
Zajac
Parise
Kopitar
B. Richards
Vermette
Boedker

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:57 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Not saying either is the leading candidate right now, but I'd take Zajac over Kovalchuk. Almost as many points, and playing excellent defense, as well. Zajac was one of te biggest reasons Giroux didn't do anything at even strength against NJ

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
It's between Smith and Lundqvist. Quick has been playing very well, but the Kings are also averaging over 3 goals a game.

Lundqvist may be 8-6 in 14 games, but he also has a 1.68 GAA and a .937 SV%. In the Rangers' 8 wins, they won by scores of 1-0 or 2-1 in literally half of them. They're struggling just to average 2 goals a game. The Rangers will go as far as Lundqvist takes them.

Smith has a 1.77 GAA and a .948 SV%. He's made huge saves, even more so than Lundqvist.

The difference comes down to facing shots. Smith faces an average of 33.8 shots per 60 minutes. Lundqvist faces an average of 26.6 shots per 60 minutes.

Very good analysis. Lundqvist has played his best though, in Game 7s and OTs. Smith has played OTs.

Quick has not been close to the best goalie in the playoffs.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Shareefruck

If you look at which users voted for who, the biases shown is pretty hilarious.

Even the teams who got knocked out by one of the choices are voting for someone from that choice, and even nationality seems to be lining up together.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Duodenum

Have to go with Mike Smith. Nobody has been better than him these playoffs.

Duodenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:28 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quick, Smith, Kovalchuk and Lundqvist.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Slads
Can't-stand-ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Smith is literally carrying his team at the moment.
Maybe metaphorically?

Slads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I think with the great goaltending happening, it almost seems unspecial. So for me, Brown is the stand out. Big goals, great play on both ends, there is no one playing like him these playoffs.

05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
eldiablo17

Dustin Brown has been the best player so far IMO, but for MVP its a toss up between him and Smith who has had far less help.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
This is what im saying.

Lundqvist and Smith have been more impressive these playoffs keeping their teams in games and the saves theyre making.

Quick isnt even the MVP of his team or the reason the Kings are where they are. Thats Brown.
That might be true.

But you must have something against Quick. This is not healthy anymore. I think meanwhile everyone knows what you have been saying the past few weeks but its not going to change people's opinion. You can stop now.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Dustin Brown.

Smith and Quick have done it all season. Dustin Brown is at another level right now.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Pi

Quick or Smith. Coin toss. Heads won so I chose Quick!

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Chimp

Among the goalies, which I think are the MVPs, Lundqvist. The reason? The Rangers have been substantially outchanced against both the Senators and the Caps. The defense is usually solid, the problem are created mistakes that result in scoring chances. Without and especially with the puck. With the chances Lundqvist has faced, it's a darn miracle the team has only allowed 1,68 GAA. "Well, so has Smith and Quick."

Yes, well, then there is this argument that is the same as to why so many think Quick deserved the Hart MVP over Lundqvist. Rangers have scored 2,07 GF/G in these 14 games, which is 11th of all teams in the playoffs. So? Well, here's the kicker. Teams 6th-16th have all been eliminated, except for the lone island Rangers. For a team that has been so outchanced, with the number of quality saves Lundqvist has had to make. Add to that the pressure of not getting much goal support at all. Quick did it in the regular season, Lundqvist is doing it in the playoffs.

Smith has been outstanding, but he has better goal support. Quick has had fantastic goal support and the team hasn't really forced him to make so many quality saves, they've outplayed their opponents.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quick, and the only one who comes remotely close is Brown. Quick has only allowed 3 goals once these playoffs. For comparison, Lundqvist has allowed 3 goals 4 times, Smith has 3 times (and has allowed 4 goals once), and Brodeur 5 times (including 4 goals twice).

Lundqvist has been good, but he's also looked like he doesn't have any confidence out there. He's been good enough to get his team to the conference final, but I think a lot of that is because of the team in front of him.

Smith is not a particularly good goalie. He's strong down low, but when you get the puck rising on him he's just weak. The Coyotes have been ridiculously fortunate on a lot of calls besides. More than any other goalie in the league, Smith is a product of the system in front of him. He's also relying on his team to score enough to keep him in it as well. In Phoenix's 8 wins, only 2 were by more than a goal. In the playoffs in total, he's only 2-2 when Phoenix scores fewer than 3 goals.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Wooty

Dustin Brown is the best player in the NHL right now.
Kovalchuck is 1/2 the player Kopitar is.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:16 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Quick, and the only one who comes remotely close is Brown. Quick has only allowed 3 goals once these playoffs. For comparison, Lundqvist has allowed 3 goals 4 times, Smith has 3 times (and has allowed 4 goals once), and Brodeur 5 times (including 4 goals twice).

Lundqvist has been good, but he's also looked like he doesn't have any confidence out there. He's been good enough to get his team to the conference final, but I think a lot of that is because of the team in front of him.

Smith is not a particularly good goalie. He's strong down low, but when you get the puck rising on him he's just weak. The Coyotes have been ridiculously fortunate on a lot of calls besides. More than any other goalie in the league, Smith is a product of the system in front of him. He's also relying on his team to score enough to keep him in it as well. In Phoenix's 8 wins, only 2 were by more than a goal. In the playoffs in total, he's only 2-2 when Phoenix scores fewer than 3 goals.
Lundqvist has a 1.68 GAA and a .938 SV %.....The New York Rangers have allowed 3 or fewer goals in each of their first 14 playoff games, an NHL record but Lundqvist has no confidence ?????

Last edited by WhatThePuck: 05-13-2012 at 11:28 PM.
WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:26 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Why does Brown have so many votes? Elevating your game the most isn't the same as being the most valuable player.

Lundqvist or Smith deserves this. I'd give it to Lundqvist.

Last edited by 5RingsAndABeer: 05-13-2012 at 11:39 PM.
5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
How does Brown have so many votes? Elevating your game the most isn't the same as being the most valuable player.

Lundqvist or Smith deserves this. I'd give it to Lundqvist.
Because it is a vote and people think different then you.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:37 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
While I think there's a few candidates spread around on a few teams at this point of the playoffs, however this statment makes absolutely no sense.

Have you only watched highlights of the other teams scoring on him? That's the only reasoning I can think of for such a ridiculous assessment. Then again it is just your opinion...

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:39 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
Because it is a vote and people think different then you.
Fine, changed it to "Why?"

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Fine, changed it to "Why?"
For me it is the same as my earlier post. He is the best player in the NHL right now. Dustin Brown is on a tear. The amazing thing is that really, Anze Kopitar is as good and some say better then DB and is also scoring.

Some of the people in the poll don't belong there and of course they should be replaced by others. Sometimes you don't need to balance things out, it is possible one team has every possible candidate

I am looking to the ECF to see who catches my eye. Someone may popup!

And of course, at this point of course, things can change!
For me, with 2 rounds to go, picking a goalie is way to premature.

Old
05-14-2012, 12:11 AM
JimEIV

IMO Zajac has been the best Devil....I would say by a fairly large margin.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote