HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 12:22 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I wonder how renovations at Penn Station are going to help us as well.
They are renovating Penn?

05-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
They are renovating Penn?
Moving part of it to the Farley post office.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Moving part of it to the Farley post office.
I had thought that plan fell through a while back.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Yeah, pretty sure that idea died when the Garden wasn't going to relocate.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, pretty sure that idea died when the Garden wasn't going to relocate.
Well, there are signs up about the project out in front of the post office on 8th Ave, so it may be happening in some limited form. I haven't read much about it lately.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:03 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagsSwag View Post
Can someone please tell me what sections (and rows if possible) have obstructed view? Trying to get into MSG cheap for the Devs series but not trying to have my top of the arena view further hampered by obstruction. Thank you.
Avoid 410-418 in rows D and back, avoid 428 and 401, and there are some seats in the last row or two in 406 and 405 that may be obstructed as well.

05-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
I thought part of Penn was going to where they made that bar close down.

05-13-2012, 04:53 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Renovation is supposed to be a 17 week window that starts in June and ends in later October. Probably means a) a longer road trip at the start of the season (as if anyone cares about that), b) less actually completed by next opening night and c) perhaps some alteration of the scope of work. I would assume all attention will be on the seating bowl since work on everything else can progress throughout the year.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Renovation is supposed to be a 17 week window that starts in June and ends in later October. Probably means a) a longer road trip at the start of the season (as if anyone cares about that), b) less actually completed by next opening night and c) perhaps some alteration of the scope of work. I would assume all attention will be on the seating bowl since work on everything else can progress throughout the year.
Its alot of heavy work this year. The whole upper level needs to be demolished, then they have to set the luxury boxes that will wrap around, and then build the new upper bowl on top of that. Also the new 8th floor concourse has to be done which will go all around. Based on that transformation show, they have a boatload of crews working at once, and plan for this...should be interesting.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:36 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Its alot of heavy work this year. The whole upper level needs to be demolished, then they have to set the luxury boxes that will wrap around, and then build the new upper bowl on top of that. Also the new 8th floor concourse has to be done which will go all around. Based on that transformation show, they have a boatload of crews working at once, and plan for this...should be interesting.
Multi week road trip coming up to start the '12-13 season

Old
05-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Kane One

I'm not sure if it's been discussed here, but the NHL Premiere Games in Europe have been cancelled, so we may have to go on a longer road-trip and probably have no pre-season games at the MSG this year (like last year, but this time in North America).

Old
05-14-2012, 01:55 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
A state-of-the-art refrigeration system & ice plant at arena floor level would be nice...
I remember a tweet where one of the Devils said the best surface they'd played on this season was at the Garden.

He might've been kidding of course.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:55 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'm not sure if it's been discussed here, but the NHL Premiere Games in Europe have been cancelled, so we may have to go on a longer road-trip and probably have no pre-season games at the MSG this year (like last year, but this time in North America).
There's no preseason at MSG for both 2012-13 and for 2013-14

Old
05-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Kane One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
There's no preseason at MSG for both 2012-13 and for 2013-14
I know. Now our games will be played on the road. Last season we had "home" games but in Europe. We also had two (I think) regular season games in Europe. Now we will just be playing our games on the road in North America.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:24 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Rangers vs Islanders in Albany, and Rangers vs Denver in Kansas City so far.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
nyrmetros

http://www.progressiverailroading.co...Skanska--30987

Some information on the Penn Station project.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:27 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
take a look around tonight and wednesday.. pretty much any area that has temporary walls, all of the area behind it i bet they're doing as much work as they can now. those end suites and the madison club under the new 300's are probably all built out at this point.

if you look at the floor on teh 7th, 8th and 9th floors, theres spray paint with numbers and other writing in some areas. they're ready to tear the place apart

Old
05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
The upper level is not being demolished. There will be some demolition lower in the bowl whetre the new suites are going but above the suite level, the new seating will sit on top of the current infrastructure. If you look closely at the side of the current rebuilt 300 sections, you can see how it works. The 8th floor concourse would be the bigger concern for me. Curious how construction is going there.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:44 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
take a look around tonight and wednesday.. pretty much any area that has temporary walls, all of the area behind it i bet they're doing as much work as they can now. those end suites and the madison club under the new 300's are probably all built out at this point.

if you look at the floor on teh 7th, 8th and 9th floors, theres spray paint with numbers and other writing in some areas. they're ready to tear the place apart
Someone from NBC actually posted ice views from a new Madison Club suite this past weekend. So apparently the actual end suite structures are in place already, they're just covered by temporary wood at the moment. They'll have to be furnished, then the side suites will need to be installed and furnished, and the upper level will need to be completely re-done.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
The upper level is not being demolished. There will be some demolition lower in the bowl whetre the new suites are going but above the suite level, the new seating will sit on top of the current infrastructure. If you look closely at the side of the current rebuilt 300 sections, you can see how it works. The 8th floor concourse would be the bigger concern for me. Curious how construction is going there.
I can't see how that would be the case, there will definitely be some demolition of the upper bowl, especially where the 8th ave 400s are right now there's going to be a drop dead glass wall on either side where the old 400s wrapped around. Those 400s are being demolished for sure

Old
05-14-2012, 11:49 AM
irishlaxburger2

There absolutely needs to be some demolition and new concrete work in the upper level, otherwise sightlines wouldn't change and they obviously are. The whole upper bowl is getting steeper plus they're making more room for concourses underneith.

Literally impossible to do with the current concrete structure in place.

Old
05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Someone from NBC actually posted ice views from a new Madison Club suite this past weekend. So apparently the actual end suite structures are in place already, they're just covered by temporary wood at the moment. They'll have to be furnished, then the side suites will need to be installed and furnished, and the upper level will need to be completely re-done.
anyone think they can dig this up?

Old
05-14-2012, 12:50 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
There absolutely needs to be some demolition and new concrete work in the upper level, otherwise sightlines wouldn't change and they obviously are. The whole upper bowl is getting steeper plus they're making more room for concourses underneith.

Literally impossible to do with the current concrete structure in place.
Guys, I ain't making this stuff up. Next time you are in the Garden you can look at the ends of the rebuilt 300 section and see where they elevated the seating using metal forms over existing concrete. I am sure there will be some limited demolition and concrete work but they are not tearing out all of the concrete in the 300 and 400 levels and replacing it with new concrete. I've spoke with Garden executives and they have confirmed this. Yes they are making the seating steeper. There is a pencil drawing on The Garden site that shows how the sight lines will change when the seating is elevated.

Old
05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
anyone think they can dig this up?
https://twitter.com/#!/darrenrovell/...42130853642241

darren rovell ‏ @darrenrovell
Following

View from 1st completed Madison Level suite at Madison Square Garden. MSG CEO Hank Ratner on @cnbc at 235 pm ET http://pic.twitter.com/bEGblsTr

Old
05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Guys, I ain't making this stuff up. Next time you are in the Garden you can look at the ends of the rebuilt 300 section and see where they elevated the seating using metal forms over existing concrete. I am sure there will be some limited demolition and concrete work but they are not tearing out all of the concrete in the 300 and 400 levels and replacing it with new concrete. I've spoke with Garden executives and they have confirmed this. Yes they are making the seating steeper. There is a pencil drawing on The Garden site that shows how the sight lines will change when the seating is elevated.
My question is how will they change the sightlines/make the upper bowl steeper without actually shifting a lot of concrete around. I'm not a construction person or engineer, so I know very little on the issue, but common sense leads me to believe it's close to impossible without making a wholesale change in the concrete structure.

I've seen the cross section view comparing the old sightlines/steepness of the upper level with the new. It's a pretty drastic shift.

Closed Thread