HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nassau County Updates ***Post 500 Monti News***

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Ziggy16

vCash: 500
Nassau County Updates ***Post 500 Monti News***

Mangano said Friday that within the next month, he will have a proposal for the site that could compete for state funds and meet the June 15 deadline. But those funds, to be divided among 10 regions across the state, would provide only a fraction of what's needed to build a new arena, make infrastructure improvements and provide for parking. The entire Long Island region will receive a maximum of $25 million for capital projects.

Council co-vice chairman Kevin Law said a "real plan with commitments" must be in place by the end of 2012.

Mangano said Friday that he stopped the RFP effort when Picker said in mid-February that Wang would not bid on the RFP

"It would summarily end any opportunity to keep the Islanders," Mangano said Friday of an RFP without the team's involvement. "We really would not have accomplished our primary goal, which is still to retain the Islanders and to create a sports entertainment destination."

Since then, said Rabinowitz, "it's been very quiet."

Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray, meanwhile, said the town will be flexible. "Once a developer is designated, we're ready, willing and able to sit down and have a conversation and try to work this out so that the Islanders stay and we get good development once and for all," she said.

Law said there have been recent conversations and efforts to develop a new plan, but the discussions have occurred out of the public eye.

Sources with knowledge of discussions about other potential local sites said the Coliseum's current location is not the only Long Island option. Belmont Racetrack and spots in Suffolk County, including Suffolk Community College's Brentwood campus, are not off the table, they said.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/p...-say-1.3715942

Old
05-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Islanderfan17

Very interesting stuff....

Good to hear something about keepin' em on LI in the news, its been quiet for a bit too long. Would love to see the Isles out in Suffolk too!

Old
05-14-2012, 01:14 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

Would much rather see them in Brooklyn over Suffolk. However I just hope that they can get something done where they are. I am so sick of this, its really holding the entire franchise back.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Ziggy16

in case your curious, that suffolk site mentioned already has mass transit set up: a bus line that takes you to that location is already there ( for the college, but anyone can use it) and a train line already in the ground that can be reopened if it gets built there (currently the line is closed off since nothing is there)

so suffolk has the mass transit option already in place, and they would also have another part of the puzzle ; PARKING SPACES -- something brooklyn DOESNT have.

this is what they are actually have been trying to build there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=payoIQLD-lw
but theres some wiggle room for a stadium if you will hehehe

Old
05-14-2012, 04:47 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
in case your curious, that suffolk site mentioned already has mass transit set up: a bus line that takes you to that location is already there ( for the college, but anyone can use it) and a train line already in the ground that can be reopened if it gets built there (currently the line is closed off since nothing is there)

so suffolk has the mass transit option already in place, and they would also have another part of the puzzle ; PARKING SPACES -- something brooklyn DOESNT have.

this is what they are actually have been trying to build there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=payoIQLD-lw
Been away from the Island for quite awhile but my office was located in an industrial park in Edgewood right on the outskirts of the old Pilgrim State land...

There is also a train stop right there within walking distance. The only possible downside I can see to that area is no real main roads coming in, that would have to be changed. Anybody know what is going on with that area nowadays?

I do think it's a bit ridiculous (even though myself and this article brought it up) to discuss new sites. There is no way anything can get done in time for a 2015 season opener.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Mangano said Friday that within the next month, he will have a proposal for the site that could compete for state funds and meet the June 15 deadline. But those funds, to be divided among 10 regions across the state, would provide only a fraction of what's needed to build a new arena, make infrastructure improvements and provide for parking. The entire Long Island region will receive a maximum of $25 million for capital projects.

Council co-vice chairman Kevin Law said a "real plan with commitments" must be in place by the end of 2012.

Mangano said Friday that he stopped the RFP effort when Picker said in mid-February that Wang would not bid on the RFP

"It would summarily end any opportunity to keep the Islanders," Mangano said Friday of an RFP without the team's involvement. "We really would not have accomplished our primary goal, which is still to retain the Islanders and to create a sports entertainment destination."

Since then, said Rabinowitz, "it's been very quiet."

Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray, meanwhile, said the town will be flexible. "Once a developer is designated, we're ready, willing and able to sit down and have a conversation and try to work this out so that the Islanders stay and we get good development once and for all," she said.

Law said there have been recent conversations and efforts to develop a new plan, but the discussions have occurred out of the public eye.

Sources with knowledge of discussions about other potential local sites said the Coliseum's current location is not the only Long Island option. Belmont Racetrack and spots in Suffolk County, including Suffolk Community College's Brentwood campus, are not off the table, they said.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/p...-say-1.3715942
So, that's what he's been up to with all the extra time he has since he doestn' have to make GDTs anymore.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Ziggy16

they can pull a nets .. play in brooklyn a year then move to a new stadium when its ready.. either way.. NVMC is done in 2015..

Old
05-14-2012, 06:27 AM
lorwood

Don't know that there is any good or bad news in this entire article. Sounds like more of the same old, same old.

The only real nugget I came away with is that the entire L.I. region has a 25 mil dollar cap for state funding and that Nassau has no proposal to submit to the state and is hoping to have something at the last minute. (Sounds like my kids homework) This, I would not consider good news for Nassau.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:37 AM
bstash19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Been away from the Island for quite awhile but my office was located in an industrial park in Edgewood right on the outskirts of the old Pilgrim State land...

There is also a train stop right there within walking distance. The only possible downside I can see to that area is no real main roads coming in, that would have to be changed. Anybody know what is going on with that area nowadays?

I do think it's a bit ridiculous (even though myself and this article brought it up) to discuss new sites. There is no way anything can get done in time for a 2015 season opener.
isnt that property located right off of the sagtikos parkway. (which is accessible from the northern state, LIE, sunrise and southern state parkway)

Old
05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Symon Asher

Nothing to get excited about. Law and Murray are playing the political BS. Wang is out. NYS will put up 25m.
The only question I have is in 2016 will Quebec charge for parking at the annual Draft Party?

Old
05-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Would much rather see them in Brooklyn over Suffolk. However I just hope that they can get something done where they are. I am so sick of this, its really holding the entire franchise back.
Suffolk would be 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000 times better them brooklyn

Old
05-14-2012, 08:19 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Suffolk would be 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000 times better them brooklyn
Suffolk is in just as bad financial shape as Nassau and has the same NIMBY mentality. I would not hold my breath for Suffolk, which would be a million times more convenient for me personally.

NYC is the only local region that can get this done.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Suffolk is in just as bad financial shape as Nassau and has the same NIMBY mentality. I would not hold my breath for Suffolk, which would be a million times more convenient for me personally.

NYC is the only local region that can get this done.
This, while I disagree though with you on how bad Suffolk is financially(they are definitely on their way to being as bad financially they just aren't there yet) and especially with news that Broadridge might be leaving the Heartland area to go to VA or FL there could possibly be some slight panic in the eyes on Suffolk politicians where they make some type of concessions to bring the Islanders out to Suffolk to save face on potentially losing another big company to another state.

Old
05-14-2012, 08:36 AM
StrongIslanders90

Not really news imo...Its everything we have already heard and know...We know time is running out and we know that "everybodys" goal is to keep the Islanders. We know we know we know....

Old
05-14-2012, 08:46 AM
JJ18Sniper

All of the posts are discussing Suffolk and of course Barclays in Brooklyn, but what about the mention of Belmont?

Old
05-14-2012, 09:14 AM
denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ18Sniper View Post
All of the posts are discussing Suffolk and of course Barclays in Brooklyn, but what about the mention of Belmont?
Belmont fixes nothing because it is still in Hempstead. Doesn't address the who is going to pay for it question. The town almost certainly won't allow the Lighthouse there any more than they would have in Uniondale. The Shinecocks? Nope. They are still barred by federal law from the type of land swap that would take it out of Murray's zoning clutches. If it were even a possibility, it would mean starting from step one of a whole new process, with environmental studies and zoning hearings putting a shovel into the ground years, and maybe decades away. The fact that it is mentioned puts everything else in the article in the throwing stuff against the wall category.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
denis

Quote:

Heartland and the Brentwood campus of SCCC are different properties. The piece of land they are talking about sits just south of the LIE, and east of the Sagtikos; Heartland is nearby, but west of the Sagtikos. There is parking, but no existing mass transportation aside from buses.

Old
05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
AGREE!!!

and this coming from someone who commutes through Atlantic Terminal everyday. BK would be great for me personally, but Suffolk would be better and cooler for the franchise and the fan base. They would become a truly niche organization which is rare these days.

Like the green bay packers

Old
05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

I cannot see either Nassau or Suffolk County at this time becoming the destination for the NY Islanders and it pains me to say it.

Nassau too may empty suits... predominantly CLOWN suits involved.

Mangano is in so far over his head he makes the Titanic look like its resting in a puddle.

Kate Murray flexible? Perhaps in he food intake but other then that, she nor anyone else on the TOH board understands a thing about economics and policy that can actually make lives you know *better. TOH pols are 100% about 1 thing how to line their own pockets which is why TOH public locations are pretty dumpy.

The only township in Nassau that seems to have its crap together is Oyster Bay... so if a location in that Township is found, I think that township could get something organized.

But the bigger issue and it made me chuckle as Mangano said he would kick in County funds Nassau County cannot make any financial decisions without NIFA. The County has pretty much no long-term or financial decision making power. So someone explain to me, how the County will kick in anything but a loud belch of hot air.

Suffolk County is as financial dead as Nassau County. And as someone who was involved in Suffolk politics it is just as bad as Nassau. Brentwood is intriguing... Even the old Pilgrim State location could be a curious possible site but again, how is it being financed by a County that is financially dead.

Queens or Brooklyn are the last best hopes for the Islanders and I would take either with a happy face.

There are so many who say Wang should pay for it. He offered it. Love him or hate him he did offer to build it. TOH said F-off.

In the end this will be about one thing and one thing only.

Which deal gets Wang the best financial windfall? Can he get a top deal out of Brooklyn in terms of revenue sharing, concessions and TV? He would have a bigger possible audience, new audience, hip crowd looking to fill a shiny new building. In Queens, he would get the same thing. The idea that we should go further into the boonies is not going to be a revenue winner for the Islanders hate to say it, but it is going to be tough to engage a dying base of support where in Queens or Brooklyn there could be a possible re-birth of the franchise with new fans.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Let me guess... This article goes on to say time is running out we need to get a plan out there soon. All the politicians chime in saying they are aware of the situation and are still trying to put something together but can't comment on any of it. Brooklyn, Queens, Suffolk and other out of the area municipalities are mentioned. And there is absolutely nothing not repeated a thousand times and 0 new news about the situation stated.... Am I close?

Old
05-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I cannot see either Nassau or Suffolk County at this time becoming the destination for the NY Islanders and it pains me to say it.

Nassau too may empty suits... predominantly CLOWN suits involved.

Mangano is in so far over his head he makes the Titanic look like its resting in a puddle.

Kate Murray flexible? Perhaps in he food intake but other then that, she nor anyone else on the TOH board understands a thing about economics and policy that can actually make lives you know *better. TOH pols are 100% about 1 thing how to line their own pockets which is why TOH public locations are pretty dumpy.

The only township in Nassau that seems to have its crap together is Oyster Bay... so if a location in that Township is found, I think that township could get something organized.

But the bigger issue and it made me chuckle as Mangano said he would kick in County funds Nassau County cannot make any financial decisions without NIFA. The County has pretty much no long-term or financial decision making power. So someone explain to me, how the County will kick in anything but a loud belch of hot air.

Suffolk County is as financial dead as Nassau County. And as someone who was involved in Suffolk politics it is just as bad as Nassau. Brentwood is intriguing... Even the old Pilgrim State location could be a curious possible site but again, how is it being financed by a County that is financially dead.

Queens or Brooklyn are the last best hopes for the Islanders and I would take either with a happy face.

There are so many who say Wang should pay for it. He offered it. Love him or hate him he did offer to build it. TOH said F-off.

In the end this will be about one thing and one thing only.

Which deal gets Wang the best financial windfall? Can he get a top deal out of Brooklyn in terms of revenue sharing, concessions and TV? He would have a bigger possible audience, new audience, hip crowd looking to fill a shiny new building. In Queens, he would get the same thing. The idea that we should go further into the boonies is not going to be a revenue winner for the Islanders hate to say it, but it is going to be tough to engage a dying base of support where in Queens or Brooklyn there could be a possible re-birth of the franchise with new fans.
Good point. Mangano may possibly get up to 50M approved (that may also be a stretch) but NIFA will likely kill any funding over that amount.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Can anyone post a link explaining why 1/10 of the $750M will not be $75M for the NVMC but instead $25M as mentioned above? (see: lorwood post on cap for LI, #8)

In terms of the vital nature or PRESERVING economic benefit (tax revenue) as well as creating (construction, additional jobs and increased gross revenue for building - thus MORE TAXES), this project has to be immensely more important than a Coy pond in Wyandanch or whatever other politico project gets presented for LI.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Bones45

LETS GO SUFFOLK!!!

LETS GO SUFFOLK!!!!!!

If you root for the Isles to move to Brooklyn, its like rooting for the Rangers.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Pnut

I told you so....

I said this a few times at the start of this year......to watch out for not only Brooklyn, but Queens and Suffolk. Now there was some chatter super recently about Queens and now there could be Suffolk.

On a personal note my P/T IT position might become F/T soon and the place might be moving up on the Sag onto the LIE. I know the SCCC campus well, I used to go there in the 1990s and driving through BS and Brentwood to get to an Isles game would be a dream come true. I would instantaneously become a partial season ticket holder if this came true. I would cry tears of joy

But to stick to my original premise that the ovatures of Brooklyn + Queens + Suffolk in more solid terms (read: with Wangs involvement) will lead to Nassau getting off their ***** and doing something.

The more and more things (are starting to) play out, the more I am convinced they/Wang will stay in Nassau. For better or worse in the worst county, Nassau.

Pnut

Old
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

And I agree with Pnut.

Closed Thread