HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The transformation of NHL coverage

Old
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
PavelBure9

vCash: 500
The transformation of NHL coverage

It's just amazing what OLN has become. I'm sure everyone here was pissed off after the Lockout that the NHL decided to go with an entity that only provided Outdoor life things when they first started. Hockey fans wished we would have stayed with ESPN, a known commodity and the gold standard in sports. Even though they low-balled us, most hockey fans were wishing in 2005 that we had stuck with ESPN, even though the coverage would have still been terrible from a hockey fan's perspective.

Fast forward through the Versus years, where there were some up and downs with some of the coverage but any hockey fan could see that at least there was an effort to improve the coverage of the NHL. They were also addig new programs such as the UFC and other programs and trying to make it a legitimate channel in terms of sports.

Now, in 2012, I can honestly say in my 12 years of watching, that the NBC Sports Network has done a fantastic job with coverage we have of the game. All the first round games and, while I would love to have Gary Thorne and Joe Michelleti be the ones to do the commentating, it just baffles me to where the NHL on the OLN has become. And give credit to Gary Bettman, for making the tough choice of switching to an unknown channel. In the short term, it sucked, but in the long term this leage will prosper because of it. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

PavelBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:38 PM
frankthefrowner

The big thing is NBC Bought ComCast. Which changed the complexion of TV let alone the NHL. I also love the commitment they made with the 10 year deal. They coulda made a 5 year deal. But this really just showed no matter what for a decade the NHL will be the flag ship of NBC Sports.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
The big thing is NBC Bought ComCast. Which changed the complexion of TV let alone the NHL. I also love the commitment they made with the 10 year deal. They coulda made a 5 year deal. But this really just showed no matter what for a decade the NHL will be the flag ship of NBC Sports.

It's the other way around. Comcast purchased NBC.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure9 View Post
Hockey fans wished we would have stayed with ESPN, a known commodity and the gold standard in sports.
That's not true at all. Everyone I know who follows the game closely was happy they left ESPN. Their hockey coverage was a joke. The way they covered hockey was hurting the NHL.

You can't have a TV partner that ignores you and makes fun of you all the time. It starts to hurt your brand after a while, and in business, your brand is all you have. The NHL had to leave ESPN to protect their brand.

I do agree with you about NBCSN though. They are the best TV partners the NHL has even had in the United States.

Ignoramus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Hemi-Cuda

after watching a few weekend afternoon games these playoffs on NBC, i really wish we got NBC Sports in Canada. watching the Philly/NJ series with Bob Cole calling was ******* painful, Hughson is alright now that the Canucks are out, but still i much prefer the broadcasting teams on NBC to anyone at CBC. TSN is still the gold standard for hockey broadcasts IMO, but NBC is right there with them now

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:25 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

NBC has done a fantastic job thus far. LOVING IT.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Osprey

I love the "Olympic" treatment, where hockey can be shown on any of three different channels (NBCSN, CNBC & NBC), even simultaneously. It was awesome in the 1st round being able to choose which game to watch, instead of the choice being made for us. In years past, I could miss all but one game of a series because it happened to usually be on when more interesting games (as decided by the network) were on.

They'll even take over CNBC unexpectedly, like they did last week, when they started showing the Western game on CNBC because the Eastern game on NBCSN went to OT. Also, it's nice that the coverage is uniform across all of the networks, instead of having completely different-looking coverage between OLN/Versus and NBC.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:53 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelbure9 View Post
and give credit to gary bettman

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:55 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
after watching a few weekend afternoon games these playoffs on NBC, i really wish we got NBC Sports in Canada. watching the Philly/NJ series with Bob Cole calling was ******* painful, Hughson is alright now that the Canucks are out, but still i much prefer the broadcasting teams on NBC to anyone at CBC. TSN is still the gold standard for hockey broadcasts IMO, but NBC is right there with them now
I like Cole, haha. He misses names but his voice and calling of the game definitively has a classic feel to it.

CBC would be a bit better if they didn't have guys like PJ Stock giving their 2 cents on air, though.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:17 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I'm happy. Aside from a few games there were only on the NHL Network in the first round, I've been able to see each and every game these playoffs besides three or four that I missed due to just being busy with other things.

Here's hoping this treatment continues.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
I really liked tonight's commenting trio of Dave Strader, Darren Pang, and Brian Engblom. Those three are some of the best names in hockey broadcasting in my opinion. Pang was one of the few people I liked from the ESPN days too.

Damn I wish the Wild would go out and get someone of even half of those guys caliber for their broadcasts.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:32 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I really liked tonight's commenting trio of Dave Strader, Darren Pang, and Brian Engblom. Those three are some of the best names in hockey broadcasting in my opinion. Pang was one of the few people I liked from the ESPN days too.
Agreed, Pang is awesome. Wish they'd pair him with Emrick, bring us back to the 'NHL Faceoff' days

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:33 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Yeah, I liked the change to OLN from ESPN myself. It was a bit of a risky move, but you no longer had to hope whatever they were showing beforehand would end just so you could see their one game a week. I do miss Buccigross on NHL2Nite & Thorne + Clement losing their minds during long playoff games.

I also like how they've even started to include coverage of the World's as well. They had shown a few games here and there before but starting last year and more so this season they're showing all the US games and the finals

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
They can certainly improve on the "analysts" they have, but yeah, I'm very impressed with NBCSN's coverage of hockey.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:49 AM
saffronleaf

I agree bro. I absolutely love NBC Sports.

Look, I think Milbury is an idiot and so on and so forth.

But I just love how they actually dig the NHL and make it their main thing.

Well done on both sides. I know it's merely a mutual-interest business transaction, but whatever, it makes me happy.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:51 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
YES! Ha, whenever I get the chance I watch NBC Sports / NBC over the joke that is CBC.

To me, it's TSN > NBC Sports / NBC > CBC

You Americans should watch some TSN at some point. It's got a slight edge on NBC, in my opinion.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:55 AM
saffronleaf

You think NBC could ever pluck Thorne & Clement from ESPN?

Old
05-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
NBC has done a fantastic job thus far. LOVING IT.

I stated in another thread...EVERY game is on TV. That's the best coverage you can have.

NBC in general has stepped up...going to be great to watch the Summer Olympics on multiple channels (including NBCSN). CBS has moved into a full on sports network but all they have is Jim Rome and replays of college games. NBC is at least competing with FOX in terms of network and cable sports coverage. ABC/ESPN is still the king (unfortunately).

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post

Is Clement even at ESPN anymore? He started at OLN as the studio host and actually did a few outdoor shows.

Thorne does some ESPN but his main gig is doing play-by-play for the Orioles on MASN.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Getting in on the ground floor with OLN and riding up with them as VS, then getting to the penthouse as NBC Sports (now that's an extended metaphor!) was a great move by the league, but I don't think either side saw this endpoint at the start. A lot fell into place just right.

The next step is to dial down the damn matinees, but afternoon sports seems too ingrained in the American culture for that to happen. Still, I'd like to see them try.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Agreed, Pang is awesome. Wish they'd pair him with Emrick, bring us back to the 'NHL Faceoff' days
I actually like Strader more than I like Emrick. In fact Strader/Pang/Engblom >>> Emrick/Olcyzk(or however his damned name is spelled)/McGuire and its not even close in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Getting in on the ground floor with OLN and riding up with them as VS, then getting to the penthouse as NBC Sports (now that's an extended metaphor!) was a great move by the league, but I don't think either side saw this endpoint at the start. A lot fell into place just right.

The next step is to dial down the damn matinees, but afternoon sports seems too ingrained in the American culture for that to happen. Still, I'd like to see them try.
At least move the matinees from noon to something reasonable like 3pm. And They need to man up and get some Sunday night prime time games on NBC proper before the Cup Finals round. Maybe a few Saturday night prime time games too. It's not like NBC has lucrative original programming on Saturday nights in prime time. No one does.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
I agree bro. I absolutely love NBC Sports.
Look, I think Milbury is an idiot and so on and so forth.

But I just love how they actually dig the NHL and make it their main thing.

Well done on both sides. I know it's merely a mutual-interest business transaction, but whatever, it makes me happy.
They even got me watching the California Tour or whatever that bike race is called.

That's intoxicating stuff.

Totally serious. And bike racing > poker and WNBA(is that still around?), AINEC.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Is Clement even at ESPN anymore? He started at OLN as the studio host and actually did a few outdoor shows.

Thorne does some ESPN but his main gig is doing play-by-play for the Orioles on MASN.
It's unfortunate he's with the orioles, he was a fantastic hockey play by play guy. Clement did well with him too. Some of the calls they made were epic (and funny).

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post

Isn't Clement with the Flyers?

And yeah, Thorne has a lot of hats over at ESPN. Doesn't he still do college and little league world series? And I think he may have picked up a college football game or two this past season.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote