HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Comparing the '94 team to this years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
  #26
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Nemchinov has some similarities to Anisimov, in my mind.

There are a number of distinctions, i'll start off the top of my head...

The back 7. We had a rotation going with Doug Lidster, a slower, tougher dman beating out Karpovtsev who was more of a finesse dman for the #6 spot. Others were Leetch, Zubov (Rarely played together, was a defensive disaster even on the power play) Beuk, Lowe, and Wells. Wells was on the 3rd pairing with Lidster/Karpovtsev and Lowe was a steadying factor for Zubov on the 2nd pairing.

If I was to draw comparisons i'd say Staal is our Lowe. That is about as close as it gets. Wells would be a Michael Sauer-type.

Obviously its fun to draw a Richards-Messier comparison although Richards is not the same caliber of player by a significant margin.

Richter and Hank could not be more different in terms of goaltending style, Richter was just too small to butterfly and he had to make almost every save acrobatic because of his small stature. Devils fans complain about Henrik's pad size but Richter made Brodeur look like a giant.

Tikkanen was a pain in the ass gritty player... if you wanted to draw a comparison with Dubinsky...

Kovalev with Gaborik...
Graves with Callahan...
Matteau with Fedotenko

It really is hard to do, in my opinion. Very different sides. I think this ranger team has better 3rd and 4th lines, especially at the center position.

I think that the 94 team had a more offensive minded back 6, but the only real distinction is that Zubov and Leetch are miles better than Stralman and Del Zotto.
Excellent post.

Was blessed to go to many of the reg season games back then and a few playoff games. As many said 2 diff eras... 94 incredible offense, '12 incredible D.

I love the graves - Callahan comparison. I still laugh at the post game pressors with Adam where he gave credit to anyone but him...

Esse...lol....the sane version of Avery....

Leetchy, IMHO, is the incomparable player. We have Brian Cambpell down here who is a prototype, but still no where near leetch. Leetch was the engine of those teams.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:14 PM
  #27
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,679
vCash: 50
^ I can only imagine what it was like live. In the games that I've gotten a chance to see through DVD's and such, I can say that Leetch is one of the best skaters I have ever seen.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:16 AM
  #28
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I'm not gonna star this debate or try and picks fights just give my opinion. He might be technically better than Richter who knows but Richter is still the #1 goalie in the modern era for the Rangers until Henrik surpasses his accomplishments.
Yeah, I agree. I LOVE Hank, but people like to diminish how well Richter played in the playoffs for some reason. He was amazing. Without Richter playing spectacularly in game six at New Jersey, Messier's hat trick never happens and we lose 6-2.

If you didn't see it or were in diapers at the time, watch the '94 games again. Richter was incredible throughout.

And I agree this should not be a Richter/Hank debate. Let's just say they were/are both amazing.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
  #29
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Yeah, I agree. I LOVE Hank, but people like to diminish how well Richter played in the playoffs for some reason. He was amazing. Without Richter playing spectacularly in game six at New Jersey, Messier's hat trick never happens and we lose 6-2.

If you didn't see it or were in diapers at the time, watch the '94 games again. Richter was incredible throughout.

And I agree this should not be a Richter/Hank debate. Let's just say they were/are both amazing.
Also see richter save on Bure in 94 finals...

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
  #30
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue
 
N9Y4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Gold Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark11 View Post
15 years eh, seeing how that dvd hasnt been out for 15 years i know your lieing
Settle down, guess it hasn't been that long. But don't be a DB. You get my drift, my bad time gets lost.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
  #31
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not much to compare.
Oh, you can compare. But this team compares much more to the team the '94 Rangers beat than the Rangers themselves.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
  #32
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,797
vCash: 500
Everyone is just dying to find parallels, but when it comes to style of play, the 94 and 2012 Rangers couldnt be much further apart.

Better committment to team defense, and a better goaltender...far inferior offense when it comes to the current incarnation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
  #33
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I'm not gonna star this debate or try and picks fights just give my opinion. He might be technically better than Richter who knows but Richter is still the #1 goalie in the modern era for the Rangers until Henrik surpasses his accomplishments.
Are his accomplishments the Cup? The fact that he has won one and Henke has not? Because if that is the case, then Glenn Anderson is better than Wayne Gretzky.

Richter does not compare in pure technical skill to Henrik. What he had, you cannot teach and that was amazing athleticism. One cannot teach someone how to do those splits. However, Henke is the better goaltender.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:39 AM
  #34
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Yeah, I agree. I LOVE Hank, but people like to diminish how well Richter played in the playoffs for some reason.
No one is diminishing Richter. However, without Henke, the Rangers are not playing right now. Richter was not the Rangers best player. Henrik is just that for this team.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:42 AM
  #35
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Also see richter save on Bure in 94 finals...
See Kevin Hatcher goal from 3/4's down the rink against Washington
See last minute goal given up against Jersey in game 1
See last minute goal given up against Jersey in game 7
See last minute goal given up against Vancouver in game 1

Look, I love Mike Richter - my wife lets me keep only a handful of my Rangers memorabilia in the living room and a signed picture of Richter with the cup is one of the things out there. But while he provided brilliant moments, he also was subject to bad and/or last minute goals that would've broken the back of a less superior team. Luckily, the 94 team were a special bunch - much better than this team up and down the roster.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:44 AM
  #36
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
No one is diminishing Richter. However, without Henke, the Rangers are not playing right now. Richter was not the Rangers best player. Henrik is just that for this team.
Totally agree regarding Hank. But, without Richter the Rangers do not get out of the Devils' series, we're at 72 years and counting, still hearing 1940 from all the stupidlander fans.

And at 72 years and counting, this 2012 team would be under a lot more pressure than it is now.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:53 AM
  #37
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Richter does not compare in pure technical skill to Henrik. What he had, you cannot teach and that was amazing athleticism. One cannot teach someone how to do those splits. However, Henke is the better goaltender.
Very true, but Richter did work at it though. He was tremendously, tremendously conditioned.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:14 AM
  #38
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Totally agree regarding Hank. But, without Richter the Rangers do not get out of the Devils' series, we're at 72 years and counting, still hearing 1940 from all the stupidlander fans.

And at 72 years and counting, this 2012 team would be under a lot more pressure than it is now.
One can say that about a lot of goalies. Does Buffalo win without Hasek? Does Colorado with without Roy? Do the Isles win without Smith? Heck, do the Devils win without Broduer?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:15 AM
  #39
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Very true, but Richter did work at it though. He was tremendously, tremendously conditioned.
Do not want to turn this thread into a Henke vs. Richter.....

I agree withou that he worked at it. And was incredibly conditioned. That does not change the fact that I truly believe that Lundqvist is the better goalie. Positionaly, as sound as it gets.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:24 AM
  #40
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Do not want to turn this thread into a Henke vs. Richter.....

I agree withou that he worked at it. And was incredibly conditioned. That does not change the fact that I truly believe that Lundqvist is the better goalie. Positionaly, as sound as it gets.
I dont want to turn it into that debate either, but its probably the most intriguing when comparing the 94 and 2012 team.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:29 AM
  #41
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Do not want to turn this thread into a Henke vs. Richter.....

I agree withou that he worked at it. And was incredibly conditioned. That does not change the fact that I truly believe that Lundqvist is the better goalie. Positionaly, as sound as it gets.
You could make an argument for either goalie. Lundqvist is better positionally, but he is also significantly larger than Richter was. Richter could never play the way Hank does. And vice versa.

One thing is for certain, Lundqvist is an easier goalie to watch. Watching Richter come 15 feet out of the crease to cut down shot angles and dive around used to give me nightmares.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:46 AM
  #42
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Do not want to turn this thread into a Henke vs. Richter.....

I agree withou that he worked at it. And was incredibly conditioned. That does not change the fact that I truly believe that Lundqvist is the better goalie. Positionaly, as sound as it gets.
I get why you say that, but the funny thing is that one of the criticisms of Hank when he's struggling is in fact his positining...him positioning himself so deep in the net to be exact..the result is not cutting down angles and leaving him vulnerable to deflections, etc.

Oh, yeah...I LOVE Hank.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:07 AM
  #43
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
One thing is for certain, Lundqvist is an easier goalie to watch. Watching Richter come 15 feet out of the crease to cut down shot angles and dive around used to give me nightmares.
The other for certain thing is that neither could handle the puck at all.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
  #44
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
See Kevin Hatcher goal from 3/4's down the rink against Washington
See last minute goal given up against Jersey in game 1
See last minute goal given up against Jersey in game 7
See last minute goal given up against Vancouver in game 1

Look, I love Mike Richter - my wife lets me keep only a handful of my Rangers memorabilia in the living room and a signed picture of Richter with the cup is one of the things out there. But while he provided brilliant moments, he also was subject to bad and/or last minute goals that would've broken the back of a less superior team. Luckily, the 94 team were a special bunch - much better than this team up and down the roster.
I can see them by closing my eyes my friend, was at a couple of those.

Note i didnt opine who the better goalie is i wont do that. Both are awesome in their era.

My only opinion is in fact that Leetch was the most talented player on the 94 rangers.

But Richter's acrobatics were amazing, and great memories for me. As Pavel became a panther, i once asked him about it, and it still pissed him off lol.


adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:52 AM
  #45
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
See Kevin Hatcher goal from 3/4's down the rink against Washington
See last minute goal given up against Jersey in game 1
See last minute goal given up against Jersey in game 7
See last minute goal given up against Vancouver in game 1

Look, I love Mike Richter - my wife lets me keep only a handful of my Rangers memorabilia in the living room and a signed picture of Richter with the cup is one of the things out there. But while he provided brilliant moments, he also was subject to bad and/or last minute goals that would've broken the back of a less superior team. Luckily, the 94 team were a special bunch - much better than this team up and down the roster.
beat me to it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:54 AM
  #46
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
I think a better team to compare this to is the 97 team. These Rangers still have 8 wins to go to match the 94 Rangers. Only 1 to go to match the 97 Rangers. How does this team compare to the 97 team?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:54 AM
  #47
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I get why you say that, but the funny thing is that one of the criticisms of Hank when he's struggling is in fact his positining...him positioning himself so deep in the net to be exact..the result is not cutting down angles and leaving him vulnerable to deflections, etc.

Oh, yeah...I LOVE Hank.
by positioning himself deep in the net, he makes himself damn near impenetrable down low, and his stops on backdoor shots are second ton none. ying and yang. it took mike richter to do the splits to make some of those saves....henrik does em night in and night out just by being deeper in his net.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:03 AM
  #48
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I think a better team to compare this to is the 97 team. These Rangers still have 8 wins to go to match the 94 Rangers. Only 1 to go to match the 97 Rangers. How does this team compare to the 97 team?
The overall talent might be lower on this team, but they are younger and maybe more importantly healthier. That team was an absolute mess of injuries, and not just to the older players.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
  #49
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,023
vCash: 500
One difference about our 12 team is the youth ,,,although inexperienced can survive multiple 7 game sereis through3 or 4 series... something an older team like 94 could not...nor anyteam has to date...but this 12 team i think has so much youth they can pull it off..IMHO.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:23 AM
  #50
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 500
listening to dumbbell joe Benigno, comparing this team with the 94' team with Brian Leetch... ugh. This guy is terrible. Mess, leetch, blah, blah, blah... i'm not surprised he knows nothing about hockey, but you do get paid to talk sports, you should know a little bit about the sport if you're going to discuss the rangers.

Outside of the uniforms, there are no similarities. All this guy knows about the rangers is the 94' cup team.

But Briyon, deres no guy on da backend like youse waz..

and we all luv Cally but let's face it, Mess was the man!

please stop.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.