HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else excited for Holtby?

Old
04-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
Let us live or die with Holtby and Vokoun.

Put Neuvy on a plane to anywhere. (Sorry Neuvy, I love ya but I do not love your game).

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
game 1. probably so. the entire series? thats much less clear.
When is Vokoun expected back? A couple rounds?

If Holtby dominates, I assume they'll just roll with him right?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post

You kinda just answered your own question, right?

If Holtby dominates why WOULD they put someone else in?

Brian23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:36 AM
NeilYoung

I really just don't like Vokoun

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Brian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
I really just don't like Vokoun
I dunno what it is but Holtby is about the only Goalie I feel comfortable with when he's in Goal and yet...he has let in some softies that were pretty bad.

Vokoun just bugs me because if a Goal goes in he almost always seems to want to blame someone else.

Brian23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:07 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post

groin muscle on a goalie. your guess is a good as anyone's.

do you have to ask these questions? holtby gives up 3 goals in a 4 game sweep of the bruins and neuvirth starts game 1 of the second round? thanks for stopping by

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I dunno what it is but Holtby is about the only Goalie I feel comfortable with when he's in Goal and yet...he has let in some softies that were pretty bad.

Vokoun just bugs me because if a Goal goes in he almost always seems to want to blame someone else.
Yes he definitely has.

Vokoun I just haven't had any confidence in since his first game. He'll make some really amazing saves but he lets in a ton of bad goals resulting from bad mechanics. When I used to play I'd rather my goalie make all the easy saves and let in the hard ones. Letting in the easy ones is just so deflating you can't trust your goalie and you don't focus on playing the game to win not to loose.

To often this year Vokouns just looked old to me whenever he goes down and out a bit his focus is gone he doesn't have his bearings it takes him far to long to regain his bearings compared to any other goalie I've ever seen.

I believe that why he tries to stand up half the time

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:05 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Let us live or die with Holtby and Vokoun.

Put Neuvy on a plane to anywhere. (Sorry Neuvy, I love ya but I do not love your game).
Neuvirth has just recently turned 24.

He has won championships at every level and won a playoff series as a rookie goalie in the NHL. Why the heck would you give up on him now?

Kolzig struggled behind Carey and Dafoe for much of his years here and then came on later as he aged.

Kelly Chase on NHL tonite was expressing his opinion that goalies don't figure things out til about 27 or 28 years old.

Examples abound in the league.

Vokoun is gone for the playoffs anyhow and now we get to let our future experience the playoffs without a seasoned vet looking over their shoulder waiting for the first slipup to get in.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

He has won championships at every level and won a playoff series as a rookie goalie in the NHL. Why the heck would you give up on him now?

Kolzig struggled behind Carey and Dafoe for much of his years here and then came on later as he aged.

Kelly Chase on NHL tonite was expressing his opinion that goalies don't figure things out til about 27 or 28 years old.

Vokoun is gone for the playoffs anyhow and now we get to let our future experience the playoffs without a seasoned vet looking over their shoulder waiting for the first slipup to get in.
iirc

neuvirth won a memorial cup in his first shot.
in his next shot he won every series til injured where his team lost without him.
in his first ahl season he won a calder cup
in his second ahl season he won another calder cup.
in his first nhl season he won his first playoff series including two overtime games where a single mistake is an L. against, btw, a goalie widely considered the best goalie in the league.

yes...he lost v tampa bay. one series loss among all of them. a series where everyone beliefs the team in total was awful rather than his play letting his team down.

the balance of his work says that he is a playoff goalie. he can carry the load and the responsibility. that he is also NOT the weak link.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:45 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:

I caught that as well and always thought it was a pretty valid statement. I look at goalie prospects development as a longer run.

04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Atlas

Quote:

I "give up on him" because I never believed in him in the first place.

I've watched him play and Neuvy isn't very good. That's all. He's a great kid. I wish he was a great goalie. He's not.

You give the example of Olie. He had a few very good years--he was far better than Neuvy--but you're proving my point. Even Olie at his best wasn't good enough.

With all due respect, you are too passive. Caps fans as a whole are too patient with mediocrity and failure.

It is much harder to win the Stanley Cup than you think.

If you go back to the Bob Rouse days you ought to know all this.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:

I've watched him play and Neuvy isn't very good. That's all. He's a great kid. I wish he was a great goalie. He's not.

You give the example of Olie. He had a few very good years--he was far better than Neuvy--but you're proving my point. Even Olie at his best wasn't good enough.

With all due respect, you are too passive. Caps fans as a whole are too patient with mediocrity and failure.

Tinner are you going to take that!!

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:00 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I caught that as well and always thought it was a pretty valid statement. I look at goalie prospects development as a longer run.
Right. I've said it before but will repeat again...thats why you build your team "from the net on out"....in terms of durations of development goalies>dmen>centers>wingers

Quote:

1. So you admit to having bias towards Neuvirth from the start then?

2. Olaf Kolzig won a vezina trophy and could have very easily won a conn smythe if the team in front of him was anywhere close to a contender. He never had that and actually carried the team on his back in 98. He was THE reason we made it that far. And remember he outdueled the Dominator on his way there. I think he won the Vezina the following year.

3. Ok..not sure you know who you are talking to here bub! I once..was much like you..bitter..disallusioned, frustrated, crusty, doubtful, resentful etc etc...and not just you..I see LOTS of that around here. Trust me ...Usiel can vouch for that as can all the others who were around in my hey day!

However..I had an epiphany..I did a cost-benefit analysis some years ago. I watch hockey to obtain enjoyment. Enjoyment improves my life experience. I follow the Caps because they are the team I chose and I don't believe in switching teams.

Now..all those "things" (ie..bitterness/anger/frustration/resentment)..well I learned they add no value to my life experience except for putting me in a bad mood. For this reason (on a side note) I no longer watch the news or follow daily events around the world (or how much the government encroaches on our freedom everyday).

So..why put myself in a bad mood????

If the Caps win then great! If they botch it then I treat them like I would my kid who messed up. Yeah I'd be mad for a bit, but then realize they are my family and that you can't let their f ' ups linger.

Keep things in life in their proper perspective. Enjoy the highs and take the lows in stride (ie smile, laugh them off)

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Atlas

Bob Rouse,

There is no bias. It's identification. If I have a bias it's actually in favor of Neuvy because he has such a great attitude and work ethic. The only thing missing is the skill necessary to win a Cup.

As far as being bitter, I seriously doubt you believe I am bitter and miserable, but put your mind at ease if so. I am friendly, benevolent and doing well. If the Caps ever win, no one will be happier and praise the players and organization more than me. But they have to earn it with a Cup.

Ted and McPhee have earned exactly nothing so far. As it stands, we are far from a Cup.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Stewie G...

You've just been chucked into the Tinner's "negative nancy" bin...enjoy your stay there.

When you all are proven wrong I will be kind...I will allow one of you to get out of there and you will have an equal chance as any.

It will sorta be like a thunderdome situation but 30 posters enter..and only 1 leaves
The Thunderdome lineup sheet is being worked on. After our glorious victory tomorrow night you will all be informed of the brackets for the first round and who your opponent will be.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:11 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Interesting thread to read. LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
The Thunderdome lineup sheet is being worked on. After our glorious victory tomorrow night you will all be informed of the brackets for the first round and who your opponent will be.
lets have this conversation post game tomorrow night.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:28 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lets have this conversation post game tomorrow night.
That we shall my friend. I'll bring the Koolaid...

Old
05-11-2012, 09:59 PM
TimeParadox*

Yeah, he just became a father. Good luck to him tomorrow.
No, I am not a Caps fan.

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:04 PM
BamaCapsFan

Holtby! Win it for Ben!

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:29 PM
sbertram2000
Rookie User

even though the Caps lost tonight, I think you need to go into next year with Holtby as your starter.

sbertram2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:42 PM
bettercallstaal
SAMCRO

I hope this isn't too soon but I really like Holtby. He had me frustrated all series. You guys were amazing this series. Don't change a thing and you'll be top 3 next year for sure.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:40 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Don't change a thing and you'll be top 3 next year for sure.
Actually, if they don't change a thing, they are on pace for 41-41 if the playoffs are any indication.

Coinflips, just the way we like em.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote