HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this season officially a success?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 08:40 AM
  #1
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Is this season officially a success?

Torts has been saying all along that this team is a work in progress and that they've arrived earlier than expected. I tend to agree with him and think that these next 2-3 years are going to be the window of opportunity. That being said, its impossible to say if they're going to get a better shot than right now. Pittsburgh is out. Boston is out. Vancouver is out. They're the highest seed left...

I think I'm at peace with whatever happens from here on out.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
  #2
BringBackLibertys
Registered User
 
BringBackLibertys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middlesex, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
If they lose to the Devils I would be disappointed, for about a week. Then I would remember that we would have all been happy with just one playoff round win coming into the season and I would be happy for what the season became. I think the problem is when you see them do well you up your expectations. A lot of people were talking 6-8 with this team before they year started, and even worse after the Euro-funk start to the year.

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:52 AM
  #3
irishlaxburger2
Registered User
 
irishlaxburger2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,972
vCash: 500
Going into the regular season, I predicted to finish between 3rd and 6th in the ECF in points. We obviously finished 1st. Huge success there.

In terms of playoffs, I thought a realistic expectation was Eastern Conference finals. If you look at past Cup winners, most winners make a decent run to at least the Conference Finals before winning the Cup the following year. It's not a rule by any means, but it seems to happen quite often. This Ranger team hasn't had a playoff run in a while and kinda lacked playoff experience, so I thought it was tantamount we make at least the ECF this year so next year (with basically the exact same team back, plus a full year of Kreider) we could really make a run at the Cup. So in terms of that, again this has been a success.

That said, the way the playoffs have played out, we have a TREMENDOUS opportunity in front of us. The three teams that scared me match-up wise were Pitt, Wash, and Ottawa and they're all gone. On paper, I think we're better than any of the other 3 left, plus I think we match up favorably against all 3. Hell, somehow we're the best offensive team statistically left, and that's our biggest weakness. Not to mention it would be absolutely heartbreaking to have the year we had and still finish behind the Devils.

So we'll see. Generally, I see this year as a huge success but we also have a tremendous opportunity in front of us - one we may not see again for God knows how long. I don't want to squander it, nor do I want to lose to the Devils at any cost.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:54 AM
  #4
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,856
vCash: 500
Personally I cant think about this until the season is over.

Did I expect this team to win the cup at the beginning of the season? No. Did I expect a #1 seeding? No.

But also, did I expect a Stanley Cup run that could take us through the #6,7,8 seeds in the east, and potentiall the #8 seed out west? No.

The opportunity is right there, 8 wins away.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:55 AM
  #5
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Personally I cant think about this until the season is over.

Did I expect this team to win the cup at the beginning of the season? No. Did I expect a #1 seeding? No.

But also, did I expect a Stanley Cup run that could take us through the #6,7,8 seeds in the east, and potentiall the #8 seed out west? No.

The opportunity is right there, 8 wins away.
This. The road to the Stanley Cup goes through Madison Square Garden, playing teams we are superior to.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
  #6
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,154
vCash: 500
Without a doubt, yes.

Now let's keep it going.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
  #7
RangerFan09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 168
vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Personally I cant think about this until the season is over.

Did I expect this team to win the cup at the beginning of the season? No. Did I expect a #1 seeding? No.

But also, did I expect a Stanley Cup run that could take us through the #6,7,8 seeds in the east, and potentiall the #8 seed out west? No.

The opportunity is right there, 8 wins away.
Sums it up for me in a heartbeat

RangerFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:59 AM
  #8
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 500
Not with the road that is being presented to this team. They have a chance to do something special. Us fans thought Pittsburgh or Boston/Philly would be there to take our season from us, and they are teeing off sometime in the next couple of hours.

Things change, and making it to the ECF was my happy point. Now it's different.

This season will not be a success unless they make the Cup. No fan of the Rangers will be happy losing to the Devils at this point in time. Make the Finals and I'll be happy.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 08:59 AM
  #9
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now
 
TonyTheGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Morris County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Overall season wise, yes it is a success. I had said at the beginning of the year, that I just wanted to get deep into the 2nd round. I could've handled a 6 game round 2 loss (as long as it wasn't to Washington again). But now we're here, and now that the Devils have made it further than anyone expected them to. We can't lose to them. If we do, their fans will be merciless with the whole, "all this talk about how you were so good, and how you were gonna win a cup and we knocked you out as the 6 seed" s**t. So in my opinion, in order to validate everything in this area, we need to beat the Devils. Even if we don't the Cup, losing to them is really not an option in my eyes. I know people we'll feel different, but with what I have to put up with from people..it's the way I feel. From a shut the F up stand point, we need to beat them.


Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 05-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:02 AM
  #10
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Overall season wise, it is a success. I had said at the beginning of the year, that I just wanted to get deep into the 2nd round. I could've handled a 6 game round to loss (as long as it wasn't to Washington again). But now we're here, and now that the Devils have made it further than anyone expected them to. We can't lose to them. If we do, their fans will be merciless with the whole, "all this talk about how you were so good, and how you were gonna win a cup and we knocked you out as the 6 seed" ****. So in my opinion, in order to validate everything in this area, we need to beat the Devils. Even if we don't the Cup, losing to them is really not an option in my eyes. I know people we'll feel different, but with what I have to put up with from people..it's the way I feel. From a shut the F up stand point, we need to beat them.
When did any of us say we were going to win the cup? Yeah, obviously it would suck to lose to the Devils...but this team has certainly far exceeded the expectations this season.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:04 AM
  #11
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Not with the road that is being presented to this team. They have a chance to do something special. Us fans thought Pittsburgh or Boston/Philly would be there to take our season from us, and they are teeing off sometime in the next couple of hours.

Things change, and making it to the ECF was my happy point. Now it's different.

This season will not be a success unless they make the Cup. No fan of the Rangers will be happy losing to the Devils at this point in time. Make the Finals and I'll be happy.
No you won't. Face it none of us will. If we get to the finals then it's going to be that we have to win. The more success we have the more you expect. Hell, if we win the cup this year people will expect one next year.

I find it hard to believe that if we make it to the finals and lose we'll be happy.

I find this season a great success compared to what we expected and the fact that we didn't expect this team to make a push for another year or two. We've made it this far, we need to push a little bit farther.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
  #12
coasterbill
Registered User
 
coasterbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
This team has exceeded everyone's expectations but I don't want to start reflecting on the season until it's over.

coasterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:10 AM
  #13
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now
 
TonyTheGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Morris County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
When did any of us say we were going to win the cup? Yeah, obviously it would suck to lose to the Devils...but this team has certainly far exceeded the expectations this season.
Oh please, lots of us have...not necessarily people here. But come on, you're gonna tell me you haven't come across that one guy who's a little on the d*uchy side that said we we're winning the cup in the middle of the year? Cause I know have. Hell, I know people that we're predicting we would destroy the Devils before this series was even official. Fans s**t talk all the time.

It absolutely has exceeded expectations. And I will not be disappointed in them one bit if they don't get through this round. But from a rivalry stand point, we need to beat them. Same with the Yankees not wanting to lose to the Red Sox or something like that.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:14 AM
  #14
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
No you won't. Face it none of us will. If we get to the finals then it's going to be that we have to win. The more success we have the more you expect. Hell, if we win the cup this year people will expect one next year.

I find it hard to believe that if we make it to the finals and lose we'll be happy.

I find this season a great success compared to what we expected and the fact that we didn't expect this team to make a push for another year or two. We've made it this far, we need to push a little bit farther.
Will I initially be upset? Sure. Everyone will be. I'm talking about 1-2 weeks after it ends. I'd be extremely excited about the team and what they can do next season. How they can improve and what moves can they make to get this team to the next level. I did that with the Jets until this past season. After being disappointing losing in the ACF Championship, I was happy to know that I have a team that I can follow and have something to look forward to the following season.

If they lose to the Devils it will be a tough pill to swallow. If LA keeps going like they are, losing to them will not be as tough. Losing to Phoenix would be rough though, but I could get over it.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:17 AM
  #15
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Oh please, lots of us have...not necessarily people here. But come on, you're gonna tell me you haven't come across that one guy who's a little on the d*uchy side that said we we're winning the cup in the middle of the year? Cause I know have. Hell, I know people that we're predicting we would destroy the Devils before this series was even official. Fans s**t talk all the time.

It absolutely has exceeded expectations. And I will not be disappointed in them one bit if they don't get through this round. But from a rivalry stand point, we need to beat them. Same with the Yankees not wanting to lose to the Red Sox or something like that.
Well I'm sure there were fans in Columbus who thought they were going to win the cup this year. lol So yeah, I'm sure a few Rangers fans were talking crap...but the reality is most of us were expecting an improvement from backing into the 8th seed on last day of the season. I know I was predicting a 5/6/7 finish...I don't think any of us were honestly expecting 1st in the East.

I totally agree that we don't want our rivals keeping us from the SCF. That would definitely suck. But regardless, the season is already a success. That said, I'm hoping for 8 more wins.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:48 AM
  #16
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,856
vCash: 500
I have to be honest - I find the amount of "Im Proud of this team" or "This Season was a Success No Matter What" -type threads to be mind-boggling right in the middle of a playoff run. Whats wrong with living in the moment and enjoying the ride to its completion? There will be plenty of time for season analysis and whether you're happy or not during the summer.

But for goodness sake, just make sure you enjoy what you have right now - because, trust me, it doesnt come along too often with this organization.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
  #17
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
I want the Devils heads on a plate. THE END. Hate this team.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:51 AM
  #18
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I have to be honest - I find the amount of "Im Proud of this team" or "This Season was a Success No Matter What" -type threads to be mind-boggling right in the middle of a playoff run. Whats wrong with living in the moment and enjoying the ride to its completion? There will be plenty of time for season analysis and whether you're happy or not during the summer.

But for goodness sake, just make sure you enjoy what you have right now - because, trust me, it doesnt come along too often with this organization.


Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Great post.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
  #19
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!
 
WhatThePuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,681
vCash: 500
They have exceeded my expectations but if they lose to the hated Devils.......I just won't feel like this season was a complete sucess .
Losing to Marty and seeing the Devils in the SCF would irritate me to no end.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:00 AM
  #20
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 19,748
vCash: 500
Enjoying the **** out of this run, but I would have to say anything beyond round one is a success for this team, especially after a 1st in the East finish.

Of course people will argue that a team first in the East should at least make it to the finals, but we all know that's not how it works.

It has been a great year and can still get even better. Loving this team.

DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:06 AM
  #21
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor
 
SixGoalieSystem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 983
Success is winning the cup. Period.

If our season ends with NJD they won't have been successful, but they will have had a very good season that exceeded most of our expectations.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
  #22
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
A successful season doesn't end with a loss...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
  #23
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM
 
BigDaddyNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hartford
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
A success? yes

A complete success on this monday morning? No

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:32 AM
  #24
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I want the Devils heads on a plate. THE END. Hate this team.
This. I want the Rangers to keep being the team that the Devils can't beat in the playoffs (except that one year we won't talk about). I want Henke to own Marty again. I want my Devils fan friends to be crying into their beers. I want Captain Cally to be the best, young American born captain in the game. I want Clarkson to get his face beaten in. And most importantly I want the Rangers to go to the Cup Finals!!!

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:36 AM
  #25
Cliffy1814
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Enjoying the **** out of this run, but I would have to say anything beyond round one is a success for this team, especially after a 1st in the East finish.

Of course people will argue that a team first in the East should at least make it to the finals, but we all know that's not how it works.

It has been a great year and can still get even better. Loving this team.
Totally agree with this.
This team is easy to love and should only get better.
94 had several hired guns on it and really was not built for long term success despite some good young players. This team should compete for ahwhile.

If they go out, how they go out will have a bearing. If they blow a 3-1 series lead and lose that would leave a sour taste. If they play another one of these nip and tuck series and get beat by a goal in game 7, I will embrace what they have done and look forward to next season.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.