HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This playoff showing success of the... Montreal Model

Old
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
i've been thinking the same thing since the end of the first round. but with this board's predisposition to use ad hominem, i decided against posting it. that, or just put everyting at halak's feet, like martin had nothing to do with a conference final and a team ravaged by injuries going game 7 OT against the cup champs. nope, all halak.

this year capitals = 09 montreal.

hey, maybe dumbo knew a thing or two about hockey after all

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 05-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Yeah, we got outshot pretty badly. But I still think people don't give that Habs team enough credit.

They had talented veteran centres (obviously everybody's whipping boy Gomez fell off the face of the earth next season, but whatever) that could skate both ways and contribute offensively. They had a few relatively dangerous snipers on the wings with tendencies to be clutch.

Gritty players who rose to the occasion in the playoffs and scored clutch goals like Moen and Lapierre.

Veteran defenceman that played together as an experienced, gritty unit.

That team was very dedicated, hard-working, and like all teams that win in the playoffs.. a bit lucky. But still, I wouldn't undersell them as "oh, it was all Halak". **** that, they deserved to win those series. What killed them was Markov's injury and a lack of size against the Flyers. Ironically we now have a healthy Markov, and two big wingers... the biggest reason why this regular season was so disappointing!

If Markov and Gionta had have been healthy this season, and Cammalleri and Gomez weren't lost in space, Martin wouldn't have been fired and we would have finished in 5th or 6th and could still be playing right now. ****, I hate the offseason. Come October. Please. At least we get a fresh management, up and coming new coach (better not mess this one up) and a top pick.

Okay, rant over.
thank

you

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Andy

Good post.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Wait...are you saying that Quick, Lundqvist and Smith (and Thomas) having record breaking save percentages is becaues the teams play so great defensively as opposed to us seeing 4 of the greatest goaltending performances ever?

Glad to see someone else notices...I can't believe the praise that geek Quick is getting.
Holtby outdueled Thomas and is holding his own against Lundqvist and if it weren't for a disastrous last minute penalty the Rangers would be heading home.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 02:44 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Phoenix, Los Angeles and New Jersey are much more aggressive on the fore-check than what the Habs did two years ago.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 01:05 AM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Phoenix, Los Angeles and New Jersey are much more aggressive on the fore-check than what the Habs did two years ago.
Agree, only the Caps are as passive as the Habs of two years ago. Probably even more passive (or just better) because Holtby really doesn't have to do anything outstanding for them. I watched the habs two years ago (not a fan but with the buzz and all my friends being habs fan) but I just can't watch the Caps, they are so boring.

Phoenix-Nashville were playing defense first hockey, but there were scoring chances and some speed in the play. Caps are just wait and see. Hope they loose against the Rangers so nobody could say they were better playing anti-hockey than when they were a fast tempo offensive team.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Not sure if serious.

Have you watched LA or Phoenix play? Not even close to the garbage Martin fed you and passed it off as competitive hockey.

And in the East, neither the Devils nor the Rangers are playing Martin hockey.

Where are all of the posters who were complaining about bringing up the past?

This has to go down as one of the worst threads on this Forum.......ever.
Thank you, I want to punch a wall after reading some of these posts. It's like people here watch other teams, with no concept of what is happening.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Top Corner2

I know it's boring...but it wins you games.

Fans didn't like him....but Martin was a good coach.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
I know it's boring...but it wins you games.

He still have another year of contract with the Habs. Why not... ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
You still need the goaltending to perform strongly. People forget that what really undid the Canadiens 2 years ago was not the uber-Flyers but that Halak's goaltending collapsed in the 3rd round.

For decades now tho it's been generally true that offence in general overperforms in regular season compared to defence, which shines more in playoffs. This creates "upsets" for people who don't pay attention to the defensive weaknesses of point padding offensive teams.
True, Halak turned back into a pumpkin because he lacked the endurance for a heavy load (he had a few lapses against the Caps and Pens as well), but the Habs were unable to score against a minor league goaltender, Leighton. They showed how impotent they were offensively. When they lost to the Bruins in seven games they received very good goaltending from Price but they couldn't score in the three overtime games.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 05-11-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: afterthought
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
There was a huge difference between how the Habs played in the 09-10 playoff and how they played the rest of his tenure though. They had the puck a lot more, for one...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:10 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

And the Martin Montreal model played itself out like it always has and always will with the Capitals being eliminated tonight.

Close to but not quite.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:18 PM
hockeyfan2k11

The supporters always talk about the wins against the Pens and Caps yet never mention getting obliterated by Philly.

The Caps with 0 push when the chips were down reminded me so much of the Martin Habs. Couldn't set up a rush to save their lives. I hate rope a dope hockey.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
The supporters always talk about the wins against the Pens and Caps yet never mention getting obliterated by Philly.

The Caps with 0 push when the chips were down reminded me so much of the Martin Habs. Couldn't set up a rush to save their lives. I hate rope a dope hockey.
the same Martin Habs that were trailing their serie against the Caps ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Joe Cole

What the Habs did was survive games. It was rope-a-dope hockey. It is what you do when you know you are out gunned. As cool as it was to be in the playoffs, it was the most pathetic brand of hockey to watch.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Maybe the idea is to take the model that will have success the longest. The Devils seems to know what they're doing.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:31 AM
dutchy29

I noticed the same, I guess Jacques was on to something, hes still the most boring personality in all of hockey. anyway nice post.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:15 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
the same Martin Habs that were trailing their serie against the Caps ?
You mean when Halak activated god mode and carried the team through to the next round?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Maybe the idea is to take the model that will have success the longest. The Devils seems to know what they're doing.
Reputations often outlive reality.

Jersey beat Philly by forechecking their relatively shallow D into the ground, not by trapping. It wouldn't shock me overmuch to see them do the same thing to the Rangers' D.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Reputations often outlive reality.

Jersey beat Philly by forechecking their relatively shallow D into the ground, not by trapping. It wouldn't shock me overmuch to see them do the same thing to the Rangers' D.
Agreed. I'm also expecting the Rangers' D to start showing the effects of all that shot-blocking. I'm not a fan of NJ but I can see them overpowering an over-extended, banged-up Rangers team. Lundqvist will have to be their best player (as he usually is).

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Agreed. I'm also expecting the Rangers' D to start showing the effects of all that shot-blocking. I'm not a fan of NJ but I can see them overpowering an over-extended, banged-up Rangers team. Lundqvist will have to be their best player (as he usually is).
Not just the shot-blocking but all the minutes. The Rangers' D isn't all that deep either. There's a reason why Tortorella has to overplay McDonagh-Girardi so much.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:09 AM
pachorella

if u're referring to the strategies on ice, its the JM model.
But overall, I would prefer the Rangers Model where u trade Gomez for a 1st round prospect loooooooooooool

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachorella View Post
if u're referring to the strategies on ice, its the JM model.
But overall, I would prefer the Rangers Model where u trade Gomez for a 1st round prospect loooooooooooool
As fun as that joke is: EVERYONE INVOLVED HAS BEEN FIRED.

Time for people to get over it. You cannot undo history.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Andy

My soccer team uses the Martin/Montreal model lol.

Martin was all about team defense. As long as the team can play as a cohesive unit, all moving in one direction, then the system works. The problem is that players are only ever that commited during playoff time.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Bullsmith

The Rangers are a JM fantasy team. Give them a one goal lead and they turn into 5 d. It is a lot like Montreal during our recent run, but the teams that survived this year are a lot bigger and had the tools to be tougher along the road here. Partly why we folded like a wet suit to Philly, Imo.

The thing that's really killing hockey though it what Torts called "ping pong hockey". Getting rid of the red line was supposed to enhance opportunities for speed and skill, but it's largely killed it. If someone tries to skate with puck and dump and chase, the D are now allowed to block them out. But if you rip the puck from deep in your own zone and it even grazes, or often even so much as goes near, someone on your team in the neutral zone then icing is waved off. Meaning we now see something like 50 icings a game, all legal. It's long-bomb dump and chase and it SUCKS.

The ringette line is interesting, but yet another complication. Leave it to the NHL to add more lines and more shifting, situational complexity to the game instead of simply putting the red line back in and let puck carriers and distributors become important again. Gretzky did okay with it. Lemiux, Orr, Marcel Dionne, Lafontaine. All those guys would be less useful to their teams in a ping-pong system than they were in their time, I feel.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote