HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who do Islander, Flyer and Penguins fans want to see win the ECF?

View Poll Results: Who do Islander, Flyer and Penguin fans want to see win the ECF?
New Jersey Devils 160 70.80%
New York Rangers 66 29.20%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
  #101
JWells16
Registered User
 
JWells16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The enemy of my enemy of my enemy is my friend was obviously the way this thread/poll was going to go down. No matter...just the way it is when you play in the cultural hub and entertainment capital of the world. And there is obviously alot of jealousy and envy from Devil and Isle fans due to all the attention Rangers get warranted or unwarrented...just the way it is. The haters are simply going to hate

If shoe was on other foot, no way in hell could I choose between Pens/Devils/Flyer or even Islanders...hate them all with deep passion.

Ironic thing about this all is I read alot of our rival fans message boards(Flyers,Jersey,Isles,Pens and Bruins) in particularly and this year I have never read so many complimentary statements about the Rangers("they really are good...we just can't beat them" said plenty of Flyer fans this year, "they are actually doing it the right way afterall" said many Devil fans during the year, "they remind me of our team when we won the Cup" said plenty of Bruin fans, "gotta admit Rags don't look like same old Rags" said plenty of Pens fans this year.

Bottom line: Rangers are easy to say publicly that you hate them cause that's the "cool thing" to do and say and it runs with the crowd. But deep down, alot of our rival fan bases are actually admiring how this team has done things and despite our coach acting grouchy at times, I've never seen Rangers respected as much as they have EVER!!
Along this note... I don't like the franchise. I can't; they're in the Atlantic. That being said, the players on their team are hard not to root for. They give everything. I'm a huge fan of Callahan, Staal, Richards, McDonagh, Lunqvist, Rupp, etc. It's annoying liking so many players on a rival.

JWells16 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:24 AM
  #102
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossgalov View Post
Ideally, I want whomever wins this series to get killed by Los Angeles!
Indeed. In fact, I'm almost half-rooting for the Rangers since I think a LA-NYR final would be fun from a hype standpoint.

Tasty Biscuits is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:25 AM
  #103
Helm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 88 Broad Street
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The enemy of my enemy of my enemy is my friend was obviously the way this thread/poll was going to go down. No matter...just the way it is when you play in the cultural hub and entertainment capital of the world. And there is obviously alot of jealousy and envy from Devil and Isle fans due to all the attention Rangers get warranted or unwarrented...just the way it is. The haters are simply going to hate

If shoe was on other foot, no way in hell could I choose between Pens/Devils/Flyer or even Islanders...hate them all with deep passion.

Ironic thing about this all is I read alot of our rival fans message boards(Flyers,Jersey,Isles,Pens and Bruins) in particularly and this year I have never read so many complimentary statements about the Rangers("they really are good...we just can't beat them" said plenty of Flyer fans this year, "they are actually doing it the right way afterall" said many Devil fans during the year, "they remind me of our team when we won the Cup" said plenty of Bruin fans, "gotta admit Rags don't look like same old Rags" said plenty of Pens fans this year.

Bottom line: Rangers are easy to say publicly that you hate them cause that's the "cool thing" to do and say and it runs with the crowd. But deep down, alot of our rival fan bases are actually admiring how this team has done things and despite our coach acting grouchy at times, I've never seen Rangers respected as much as they have EVER!!
You're new to hockey if you think hating the Rangers "is the cool thing to do" and that's the only reason why you're getting hate mail in here.

Helm is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:29 AM
  #104
Maximus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Along this note... I don't like the franchise. I can't; they're in the Atlantic. That being said, the players on their team are hard not to root for. They give everything. I'm a huge fan of Callahan, Staal, Richards, McDonagh, Lunqvist, Rupp, etc. It's annoying liking so many players on a rival.

I hear ya loud and clear. I feel "dirty" at times that I happen to like rivals like Giroux,Simmonds,Malkin,Letang, Parise, Henrique,Tavares,Streit,Seguin,Chara...etc. I have to shower extra for a few days afterwards just to wash the dirt off...

Maximus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:37 AM
  #105
Maximus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGinOdrDos View Post
You're new to hockey if you think hating the Rangers "is the cool thing to do" and that's the only reason why you're getting hate mail in here.
Actually my friend, played the sport and have followed hockey for over 40 years which I'll bet makes me older than you and likely 90% of the posters here at HF. So no rookie here. When I say "cool". I don't mean it literally...I mean if figurativly. I understand why our rival fan bases hate on us and why fans even in far away spots like San Jose or Anaheim might but sure seems at times that there is pack mentality when it comes to rooting against the Rangers. I think it's a NY thing and most fans around the country root against NY in anything or any sport. So if it's a NJ vs NY thing, yeah 75% or so will go against NY. Ironic thing is and which I touched on, more people are throwing props on the Rangers than ever from rival fan bases but we'll still get trounced in any poll which is more than fine...just sayin

Maximus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
  #106
onefatsurfer
I speak in code
 
onefatsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 9,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The enemy of my enemy of my enemy is my friend was obviously the way this thread/poll was going to go down. No matter...just the way it is when you play in the cultural hub and entertainment capital of the world. And there is obviously alot of jealousy and envy from Devil and Isle fans due to all the attention Rangers get warranted or unwarrented...just the way it is. The haters are simply going to hate

If shoe was on other foot, no way in hell could I choose between Pens/Devils/Flyer or even Islanders...hate them all with deep passion.

Ironic thing about this all is I read alot of our rival fans message boards(Flyers,Jersey,Isles,Pens and Bruins) in particularly and this year I have never read so many complimentary statements about the Rangers("they really are good...we just can't beat them" said plenty of Flyer fans this year, "they are actually doing it the right way afterall" said many Devil fans during the year, "they remind me of our team when we won the Cup" said plenty of Bruin fans, "gotta admit Rags don't look like same old Rags" said plenty of Pens fans this year.

Bottom line: Rangers are easy to say publicly that you hate them cause that's the "cool thing" to do and say and it runs with the crowd. But deep down, alot of our rival fan bases are actually admiring how this team has done things and despite our coach acting grouchy at times, I've never seen Rangers respected as much as they have EVER!!
1. The Devils have never gotten media attention, and the Rangers aren't getting media attention now. Nobody will give a rat's ass about the Rangers the week after they get knocked out or win the cup. It's just the way it is with hockey in the NY/NJ area.
2. I don't think the Rangers play like the Devils cup teams. Those teams had offensive skill as well as a strong defense and a hall of fame goaltender. The Rangers lay down on the ice to block shots, and that's about it.
3. I ****ing hate the Rangers. I don't give a **** whether it's cool to do or not.
4. My team has won 3 cups since the Rangers last won. Why would I admire them? That whole organization is a piece of ****.


Last edited by piqued: 05-15-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: over the top
onefatsurfer is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:42 AM
  #107
Helm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 88 Broad Street
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Actually my friend, played the sport and have followed hockey for over 40 years which I'll bet makes me older than you and likely 90% of the posters here at HF. So no rookie here. When I say "cool". I don't mean it literally...I mean if figurativly. I understand why our rival fan bases hate on us and why fans even in far away spots like San Jose or Anaheim might but sure seems at times that there is pack mentality when it comes to rooting against the Rangers. I think it's a NY thing and most fans around the country root against NY in anything or any sport. So if it's a NJ vs NY thing, yeah 75% or so will go against NY. Ironic thing is and which I touched on, more people are throwing props on the Rangers than ever from rival fan bases but we'll still get trounced in any poll which is more than fine...just sayin
I actually don't care what you think as long as you don't think you are hated because you are so good. Because you aren't. You're hated for different reasons. That was all I meant.

Helm is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
  #108
Church1766
Rookie User
 
Church1766's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGinOdrDos View Post
I actually don't care what you think as long as you don't think you are hated because you are so good. Because you aren't. You're hated for different reasons. That was all I meant.
Then why trash on him in the first place? You said that he obviously doesn't watch hockey and you were wrong.

Church1766 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 11:27 AM
  #109
Maximus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church1766 View Post
Then why trash on him in the first place? You said that he obviously doesn't watch hockey and you were wrong.
Exactly but it's not suprising as even if a Ranger fan such as myself attempts to have a somewhat intelligent interaction with our brothers from the other side of the Hudson, somehow someway words get construed the wrong way...whatever. No biggie but thanks though for having my back as all I was saying was our boys are hated cause of all the attention we get warranted and unwarranted.

Maximus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #110
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
The Devils without regard to their success in past years are an irrelevant team. Irrelevant teams are not often hated. How many people hate the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Columbus Blue Jackets?

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 11:32 AM
  #111
NHLsnipers
Registered User
 
NHLsnipers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,021
vCash: 500
Rangers. I hate everything Devils.

NHLsnipers is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
  #112
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
say what?
Torts talks too much; yes. But Brodeur is a diver, a drama queen and a big time whiner when things don't go his way. Lundvquist is none of those things.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
  #113
Maximus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan118 View Post
...

I don't take what you are saying personally...trust me. At 45 years old, I'm pretty level headed and have been through alot of Ranger wars over the years with our main rivals mainly with your Devils but quite a bit with the Flyers,Pens and Islander fan bases...so nothing fazes me these days. I do agree a bit with what you say about some of us here in Rangerland having a somewhat "smug" attitude at times. What I think it stems from and not sure if my fellow Ranger brethern agree with this but this is my own personal opinion. I think due to the fact that we have not had alot of success on the ice as far as Cups or even getting deep into the playoffs and our main rivals having either made deep runs or won Cups other than the Islanders of course, I think there is a kind of "us against the world" mentality that alot of us have. And so when we finally have the kind of success we are having this year, the frustration comes out and often times in not very flattering ways and than the "**** you's" to all the haters come out as well. Don't forget as well most of the fan base here on the HF boards are also very likely 17-25 or so years old. I'm probably one of the older Ranger fans who comes on here. So there is a kind of maturity and wisdom that comes with age. But I recall like it was yesterday when I was in college and every ****en year the Islander were ruining our seasons beating us every single year in the playoffs. I thought them smug and arrogant as well but they had earned it with all the Cups they won. Hopefully with our team alot more likeable than most other past Ranger teams and likely more success to come as the future looks bright, our fan base we'll act a little less arrogant and more like "been there done that"


Last edited by piqued: 05-15-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: qdp
Maximus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
  #114
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Man, what a loaded question.

Dangleberry is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
  #115
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The enemy of my enemy of my enemy is my friend was obviously the way this thread/poll was going to go down. No matter...just the way it is when you play in the cultural hub and entertainment capital of the world. And there is obviously alot of jealousy and envy from Devil and Isle fans due to all the attention Rangers get warranted or unwarrented...just the way it is. The haters are simply going to hate

If shoe was on other foot, no way in hell could I choose between Pens/Devils/Flyer or even Islanders...hate them all with deep passion.

Ironic thing about this all is I read alot of our rival fans message boards(Flyers,Jersey,Isles,Pens and Bruins) in particularly and this year I have never read so many complimentary statements about the Rangers("they really are good...we just can't beat them" said plenty of Flyer fans this year, "they are actually doing it the right way afterall" said many Devil fans during the year, "they remind me of our team when we won the Cup" said plenty of Bruin fans, "gotta admit Rags don't look like same old Rags" said plenty of Pens fans this year.

Bottom line: Rangers are easy to say publicly that you hate them cause that's the "cool thing" to do and say and it runs with the crowd. But deep down, alot of our rival fan bases are actually admiring how this team has done things and despite our coach acting grouchy at times, I've never seen Rangers respected as much as they have EVER!!
I personally could give a damn about how much attention the Rangers get, I've said it a billion times and I'll say it again, the main reason I hate the Rangers is because the majority of their fans that I come across just suck. I've seen it echoed by many non-Ranger fans around here, and even Ranger fans themselves, for me it really has nothing to do with the team. This years Rangers are a hard working bunch and they have a number of admirable players, but I still hate them as much as I always have and will. Others may agree or disagree with me, and thats fine, but a lot of the Rangers fan base is very egotistical and act like their team is the best as if they are the Yankees of the NHL.

The reality is they are the Mets

So you're right about the respect thing, I think the team has earned it. But the attention being the reason everyone hates the Ranger? I personally don't think so, if you guys had a classy and tolerable fan base then I wouldn't harbor nearly as much hate as I do, then the term would be "dislike" and it would only be because you guys are cross town rivals.

Edit: To sum it up perfectly, I saw a Ranger fan say the other day about most Ranger fans that, if he were a fan of another team, "I'd hate us too"

Islanderfan17 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 12:20 PM
  #116
Maximus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 668
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I personally could give a damn about how much attention the Rangers get, I've said it a billion times and I'll say it again, the main reason I hate the Rangers is because the majority of their fans that I come across just suck. I've seen it echoed by many non-Ranger fans around here, and even Ranger fans themselves, for me it really has nothing to do with the team. This years Rangers are a hard working bunch and they have a number of admirable players, but I still hate them as much as I always have and will. Others may agree or disagree with me, and thats fine, but a lot of the Rangers fan base is very egotistical and act like their team is the best as if they are the Yankees of the NHL.

The reality is they are the Mets

So you're right about the respect thing, I think the team has earned it. But the attention being the reason everyone hates the Ranger? I personally don't think so, if you guys had a classy and tolerable fan base then I wouldn't harbor nearly as much hate as I do, then the term would be "dislike" and it would only be because you guys are cross town rivals.

Edit: To sum it up perfectly, I saw a Ranger fan say the other day about most Ranger fans that, if he were a fan of another team, "I'd hate us too"

To this day I still haven't quite figured out the rating and ranking system that apparently exists that quantifies who has the most intolerable or tolerable fanbases in the NHL...really I don't. Maybe it's just me and I never received the memo but what makes one fan base more intolerable than others? Sure there are posters I read on the Penguins,Flyers,Devils and yes even your board in Islander country who I just shake my head and I'm like "wtf is that dude talking about"? On the other hand in those same boards, there are posters who say some good stuff and make some logical sense in their posts. Its that way in life. As I said, I think there is definitly an inferiority complex thing going on especially in the metro area from the Isles and Devil fan bases seeing Rangers get so much attention and I'll be honest, alot of it is undeserved and it is not based on success on the ice. So there is natural resentment. Hey it's OK to admit it. The media perpetuates it too. Irony of this is that finally after what seems like forever, Rangers finally have something to actually crow about and respect is actually being earned the right way....on the ice!!!

Maximus is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
  #117
Inklings
and you feel shame
 
Inklings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I never understood why Pens fans consider the Rangers a rival. They're always irrelevent (outside of this season), and I find Lundquist pretty likable. Devils already had too much success. Not a fan of either, voted for NJ, but ultimately I won't be upset at whichever teams makes the finals.

In the finals, however, I want nothing but failure for both clubs.

Id like to say i dont hold grudges but im not that big of a man i guess.


Inklings is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
  #118
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
This poll is similar to asking "Would you rather have cancer or AIDS?"

Broad Street Elite is online now  
Old
05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
  #119
virothepyro
#lydia2012
 
virothepyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Devils and it is not even close

virothepyro is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
  #120
Mustang2750
Registered User
 
Mustang2750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by virothepyro View Post
Devils and it is not even close
This bc although I hate both teams the majority of devils fans i meet in the tri state area tend to be knowledgeable and polite while the majority or Rangers fans here tend to be loud, obnoxious, and void of hockey knowledge.

With that said...Kings for the Cup!!!

Mustang2750 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
  #121
Flyers845
Registered User
 
Flyers845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Devils so maybe Marty will decide to retire on top and stop killing the flyers

Flyers845 is online now  
Old
05-14-2012, 02:55 PM
  #122
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!
 
dr robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,419
vCash: 500
Pens fan and I want the Devils to win. Not cause I hate the Rangers, but I tend to like NJ more and Brodeur should be able to go out on top if he does choose to retire.

If I really got my choice, the West would win it all

dr robbie is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:09 PM
  #123
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,872
vCash: 234
Not even close for me I'm pulling for Devils all the way.

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:21 PM
  #124
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Ranger fans still don't quite get why Devils & Islanders fans hate them. It's not at all close to jealousy or feeling irrelvant.

It's like having an obnoxious older brother who still lives at home in mom's basement, yet bangs down your door to tell you how much better he is because he's older and has more facebook friends.

Then when he finally finds a job that requires a tie instead of a drive-thru headset, he cries and whines that you don't respect his accomplishments enough. And that he totally has more twitter followers than you now.


It's this day in and day out that drives us mad - and it's not the entire fanbase obviously, but there are enough of you that it becomes a goddamned epidemic of obnoxiousness.
It can't be described any better than this. It's the sense of entitlement amongst the Ranger fanbase that is extremely obnoxious, and I can understand why level headed Ranger fans may have trouble seeing this...you guys are biased, you love your team and you may not be one of "those fans" that I'm referring too. I don't blame you at all, there is a good chance I'd be the same way if I was a Ranger fan. With that being said though, it doesn't take away the fact that a large portion of the Ranger fanbase is absolutely unbearable.


Last edited by Islanderfan17: 05-14-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Islanderfan17 is offline  
Old
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
  #125
Mustang2750
Registered User
 
Mustang2750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
Thank God most Piles, Flygirls, and Whiners fans are rooting for the Devils. I'd probably puke if they were rooting for the Rangers
Thats ok. We would all puke if we had to be associated with the dirtiness of Rangers fans.

Mustang2750 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.