HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards hired as Head Coach

Old
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
#CBJ GM Scott Howson heard from 8-10 coaches interested in #CBJ job, but did not hold formal interviews.
As some have said, the last public display of the coaching process did not bode well for the organization after Arniel was fired. If I was Howson I would have as much information as possible on lockdown going forward.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Right now I feel very similar to when MacLean took the interim tag off Gallant.... The fact that the league is heading into another fall with the CBA expiring also adds to this. If its true about 8-10 coaches contacting with no followups or interviews or anything, and the fact that Richards gets the 2 year deal instead of the standard 3 we usually see, this is a cost-saving measure.... Plain and Simple.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 05-14-2012 at 10:04 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
EDM

You know, I try to care, I really do. But I don't anymore. I think the lowest point as a fan is yet to come: the Nash trade

EDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:04 AM
BluejacketNut

Hearing they didnt interview anyone else is making me feel better about my decision not to renew

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:08 AM
650X2

I wonder how we will blow up our team and sign overpaid UFAs to match Richards' style?

Why is he signed for 2 years as well? Do we always want 2 coaches on payroll?

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As some have said, the last public display of the coaching process did not bode well for the organization after Arniel was fired. If I was Howson I would have as much information as possible on lockdown going forward.
The only part of the "public" part that was remotely bad, was that it was leaked out that an offer was made. If they are worried about the PR because some HC candidate turned them down, they deserve to be run of of town.

Honestly the announcement that they didn't interview is worse to me, personally, as a fan.

This decision could have been made a month or two ago. He didn't even hint that they even looked outside the org, only that they received interest.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
#CBJ GM Scott Howson heard from 8-10 coaches interested in #CBJ job, but did not hold formal interviews.
I'd like to know who those 8-10 coaches were. For all we know, they could all have been guys looking for their first NHL HC gig (which is the road we went down last time, which worked out so, so well ).

It is what it is, guys and gals. IMO, having some stability on the bench may not necessarily be a bad thing, especially given the roster changes that will be happening during the offseason, most notably Nash. After all, it's not like we're going to be Cup contenders anytime soon.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Keep the same people in place that brought you the worst season in franchise history, that's the McConnel solution. I called today to see if I could get my money back on my season ticket renewal. I was told no refunds, you're stuck with them. This organization is beyond pathetic...

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Good lord this board is one "WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" away from complete hysteria.

Could have been Barry Melrose and Gomer Pyle calling under fake names, but the whole story doesn't matter! It's the Blue Jackets! Rabblerabblerabblerabblerabble.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:17 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
Good lord this board is one "WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" away from complete hysteria.

Could have been Barry Melrose and Gomer Pyle calling under fake names, but the whole story doesn't matter! It's the Blue Jackets! Rabblerabblerabblerabblerabble.
What has the organization done to deserve our trust and faith?

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Roadman
Moving On

For Gods sake people you don't even know who called. NHL assistants, AHL coaches/asst, college guys, first timers, old timers.

Maybe Craig Patrick put the thumbs down on them, may it was Patrick who said we weren't going to do any better.

You just assume that since they weren't interviewed they should have been???

I swear The Jackets could hire Scotty ********in Bowman and there would *****ing.

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:27 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I'm so, so sorry.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

I don't find the news that disturbing. I'm interested in seeing what Richards can do this year.

Here is my take on why there was no formal search (complete speculation):

Howson has been told he has one year to turn the team around and make significant progress this year. He was told he is not able to bring in a new coach - he had made his bed with the Arniel/Richards hirings. If Richards and Howson can't right the ship, then the Jackets clean house next summer. They're only on the hook for 1 more year of Richards contract if that happens (pretty reasonable in terms of coach firings), and so that's why we see the 2-year contract instead of the standard 3.

What the benchmark for success this year is, I'm not sure. But, this hire makes sense from this perspective. If this benchmark isn't achieved, the new GM will be able to bring in their own coach.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
FANonymous

Just keep piling on.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:34 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I don't find the news that disturbing. I'm interested in seeing what Richards can do this year.

Howson has been told he has one year to turn the team around and make significant progress this year. He was told he is not able to bring in a new coach - he had made his bed with the Arniel/Richards hirings. If Richards and Howson can't right the ship, then the Jackets clean house next summer. They're only on the hook for 1 more year of Richards contract if that happens (pretty reasonable in terms of coach firings), and so that's why we see the 2-year contract instead of the standard 3.

What the benchmark for success this year is, I'm not sure. But, this hire makes sense from this perspective. If this benchmark isn't achieved, the new GM will be able to bring in their own coach.
That hypothetical new GM would still need to pay for Richards for one year. With the organization needing at least one and possibly 2 assistants plus hiring a head coach for Springfield (Reilly was fired) and possibly more staff for Springfield, and the september expiration of the CBA, this reeks of "cost-saving measure"

Old
05-14-2012, 10:36 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
For Gods sake people you don't even know who called. NHL assistants, AHL coaches/asst, college guys, first timers, old timers.

Maybe Craig Patrick put the thumbs down on them, may it was Patrick who said we weren't going to do any better.

You just assume that since they weren't interviewed they should have been???

I swear The Jackets could hire Scotty ********in Bowman and there would *****ing.
It doesn't matter who called. If you have a job opening you conduct interviews. Also, those are only coaches who called Columbus. We could have called our own coaches to see if they wanted to interview. The point isn't who could have been interviewed. It is that we didn't even conduct any interviews.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
That hypothetical new GM would still need to pay for Richards for one year. With the organization needed at least one and possibly 2 assistants plus hiring a head coach for Springfield (Reilly was fired) and possibly more staff for Springfield, and the september expiration of the CBA, this reeks of "cost-saving measure"
Seeing as Richards already had 2 years remaining on his Assistant Coach contract, he's not going to trade that in for a 1-year Head coach contract. The 2-year contract had to be done, and it's the cost of doing business if they have to pay him an extra year.

You never know, I guess Howson and Richards could catch lightning in a bottle this year and I'm guessing that is what JPMac is banking on.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

Then why not hire Richards for 1 year?

Old
05-14-2012, 10:39 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Seeing as Richards already had 2 years remaining on his Assistant Coach contract, he's not going to trade that in for a 1-year Head coach contract. The 2-year contract had to be done, and it's the cost of doing business if they have to pay him an extra year.

You never know, I guess Howson and Richards could catch lightning in a bottle this year and I'm guess that is what JPMac is banking on.
Then you tell Richards to look for a new job. I am guessing Richards would have taken a 1 year contract if it meant keeping his job.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Then you tell Richards to look for a new job. I am guessing Richards would have taken a 1 year contract if it meant keeping his job.
Even if they had fired him, they would still have had to pay him for the next 2 years. It's a guaranteed contract.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1000
Sadly, very little that this organization does impresses me anymore.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Even if they had fired him, they would still have had to pay him for the next 2 years. It's a guaranteed contract.
Yes, but I am guessing he makes more as a HC.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:47 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

You never know, I guess Howson and Richards could catch lightning in a bottle this year and I'm guessing that is what JPMac is banking on.
I'm arguing moreso that the 2 year instead of standard three year, coupled with all the things I mentioned makes this a cost saving measure. Interviewing candidates and coordinating times with them, albeit desirable, also is money and time spent.

I'm guessing this has nothing to do with Howson's security as the GM.... for now.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Wow is all I can say. You don't even bother to have interviews at all?
I think the key word is "formal". It doesn't mean that guys weren't talked to over the phone, or even face-to-face, without it being part of a truly all-encompassing search.

And for all we know, it could have been Lou Angotti, Ed Olczyk, and Rick Kehoe calling.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Yes, but I am guessing he makes more as a HC.
Yes, I bet he is, but I don't know if restructuring a deal to take off a year is even possible. It isn't possible for players (unless there is a buyout), but I don't know if coaches are governed by different rules.