HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Dale Hunter Stepping Down Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 11:19 AM
  #26
amjay13
Registered User
 
amjay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
There you have it....the greatest player in Caps history just made his feelings known about the state of the franchise by turning his back and walking away from this mess.


Fantastic Leonsis and McPhee....fan-friggen-tastic.
Seems like a pretty uninformed opinion to me.

Hunter never seemed confortable with the media. Coaching at the NHL level isn't for everyone. Nothing wrong with going back to his comfort zone and family while making good money.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:19 AM
  #27
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
There you have it....the greatest player in Caps history just made his feelings known about the state of the franchise by turning his back and walking away from this mess.


Fantastic Leonsis and McPhee....fan-friggen-tastic.
By most accounts he was never that interested in an NHL job in the first place. I don't know how much to read into the state of the organization about that.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
  #28
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Learn from him, both good and bad. If they can keep the mental stability he instilled while implementing a system that utilizes their strengths (and/or allows them to dictate play on their terms) they could do some damage.
Yep. The reason why you can't call this year a failure (though it arguably wasn't a success either) is that Dale made major strides in remedying the mental fragility of this group - a step that was absolutely necessary for them to have any chance of making playoff noise this year or in the future. He also gave them a sense of the commitment and work ethic needed for such success.

Did he get the most of out of the group's collective skill set -- on the D side, yeah; on the O side, there's still more to be done and because it's not clear to me that he could do it, it's not killing me that he's going. But I certainly appreciate what he did for the team.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
  #29
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
What did Mike Gartner do too?
Got traded a lot?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
  #30
amjay13
Registered User
 
amjay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
An interesting off-season just got even more interesting. Gotta figure this coaching hire is GMGM's last shot. He can't be foolish enough to hire a coach with no NHL experience again, could he?

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
  #31
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,494
vCash: 500
Add him to the list of Caps who prefer to step down rather than up.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
  #32
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
By most accounts he was never that interested in an NHL job in the first place. I don't know how much to read into the state of the organization about that.
Really, you don't read anything into a rookie coach getting his first shot, taking the team as far as it's been in the last 5 years and he simply walks away?

So much for this "new identity" BS.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
  #33
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
An interesting off-season just got even more interesting. Gotta figure this coaching hire is GMGM's last shot. He can't be foolish enough to hire a coach with no NHL experience again, could he?
I'd be fine with them naming Olie the head coach.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
  #34
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Add him to the list of Caps who prefer to step down rather than up.
Boom!

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:23 AM
  #35
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncapsfan View Post
add him to the list of caps who prefer to step down rather than up.
hahaha!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
  #36
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Really, you don't read anything into a rookie coach getting his first shot, taking the team as far as it's been in the last 5 years and he simply walks away?

So much for this "new identity" BS.
It's been pretty well known he wouldn't come back after this year for awhile now because he wanted to return to London... Guess you just missed all of that.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
  #37
WetHog
Registered User
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD - USA
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,339
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Really, you don't read anything into a rookie coach getting his first shot, taking the team as far as it's been in the last 5 years and he simply walks away?

So much for this "new identity" BS.
Not sure why you are surprised by DFH's decision. I'm not. When he was hired GMGM and DFH gave me the impression that DFH would try out being an NHL HC during his stint after BB and thats what he did. DFH would rather stick with what he has in London. NOt a big deal to me, and it certainly doesn't signal to me that the Caps organization is in shambles.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
  #38
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Years ago, Wayne Gretzky called the New Jersey Devils "a Mickey Mouse organization" which it was at the time. The Washington Capitals aren't quite that bad but like those terrible NJD teams the Caps organization is not very serious about winning Stanley Cups. Dale Hunter is serious as a heart attack about the Cup. I think he just realized he couldn't overcome the dull mediocrity of McPhee, Ted and the rest of the organization.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  #39
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,363
vCash: 50
Probably a smart move from Dale. The team has been a mess almost his entire tenure.

Maybe he sees the team that George built is not ready to win defensive hockey. George's way. That was not Dale, at least not Knights Dale

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  #40
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Seems like a pretty uninformed opinion to me.

Hunter never seemed confortable with the media. Coaching at the NHL level isn't for everyone. Nothing wrong with going back to his comfort zone and family while making good money.
Funny to call me uninformed when you're posting this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
An interesting off-season just got even more interesting. Gotta figure this coaching hire is GMGM's last shot. He can't be foolish enough to hire a coach with no NHL experience again, could he?
New fan? Seriously?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  #41
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
F word this.

I want Jim Johnson as coach then

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
  #42
WetHog
Registered User
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD - USA
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,339
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I'd be fine with them naming Olie the head coach.
I thought goalies don't make good HC's? Thought I heard that somewhere. Anyway, would definetly fit GMGM's habit of hiring HC"s with no previous HC experience in the NHL.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
  #43
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Really, you don't read anything into a rookie coach getting his first shot, taking the team as far as it's been in the last 5 years and he simply walks away?

So much for this "new identity" BS.
No, because I always got the vibe that he didn't want to be here in the first place. And because most of the "rumors" (yeah I know) were that he was heading back to London regardless of the outcome.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
  #44
troyerlaw
Life is party again
 
troyerlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Maybe he's just getting out of the way for the GMGM firing. Waiting to be invited back as coach and GM.

Kidding. I think he wants to go back home.

I hope Leonsis focuses on finding his next GM first, and then the coach.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
  #45
CapsWolverinesUSA
Registered User
 
CapsWolverinesUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
An interesting off-season just got even more interesting. Gotta figure this coaching hire is GMGM's last shot. He can't be foolish enough to hire a coach with no NHL experience again, could he?
I would be interested to see a short list of experienced NHL guys who are credible candidates. There are VERY few names that come to mind that are anything other than depressing.

Ron Wilson (lulz)
Mike Keenan (lulz)
Bob Hartley (uggg)
Michele Therrien (oh dear god)
Craig Mactavish (no track record)
Guy Carbonneau (feels weak...)
Marc Crawford ("Plan C"-type hire)
Andy Murray ("Plan D"-type hire)

It's an ugly group, folks.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:27 AM
  #46
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I thought goalies don't make good HC's? Thought I heard that somewhere. Anyway, would definetly fit GMGM's habit of hiring HC"s with no previous HC experience in the NHL.
Glen Hanlon begs to differ, LOL.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:27 AM
  #47
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Not sure why you are surprised by DFH's decision. I'm not. When he was hired GMGM and DFH gave me the impression that DFH would try out being an NHL HC during his stint after BB and thats what he did. DFH would rather stick with what he has in London. NOt a big deal to me, and it certainly doesn't signal to me that the Caps organization is in shambles.
Never once said I was surprised. In fact, I predicted this before the playoffs started. Hunter never seemed comfortable early on, but he seemed to adjust.

Fact is he's the heart and soul of the franchise (historically) and he just turned his back and walked away from a mess. I can't say I blame him.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #48
WetHog
Registered User
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD - USA
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,339
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
F word this.

I want Jim Johnson as coach then
No F word from me on this, DFH would rather be at home running his team. The guy never looked comfortable to me dealing with the media and having to deal with the BS that comes with a high profile job like an NHL HC. I appreciate him giving it a shot and wish him well.

I would also like to see Jim Johnson given a shot.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #49
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly
 
HeyMattyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Yep. The reason why you can't call this year a failure (though it arguably wasn't a success either) is that Dale made major strides in remedying the mental fragility of this group - a step that was absolutely necessary for them to have any chance of making playoff noise this year or in the future. He also gave them a sense of the commitment and work ethic needed for such success.

Did he get the most of out of the group's collective skill set -- on the D side, yeah; on the O side, there's still more to be done and because it's not clear to me that he could do it, it's not killing me that he's going. But I certainly appreciate what he did for the team.
This sums it up pretty well.

Either way, this "(Not So) Young Guns" Caps team is going to start the 2012-2013 season with their fourth coach in six years. Assuming the new coach has a new system (hopefully designed to play off the team's strengths) it will be, what, the fifth system this core has learned? I hope they pick the right guy (and the right system) for this specific lineup this time around.

But yeah, who is even out there that anybody would want?

HeyMattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  #50
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Dale Hunter is serious as a heart attack about the Cup.


Nothing says, "serious about the cup" like his ice time for Jay Beagle and Dennis Wideman.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.