2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Hockey Fan 19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Been screaming for it for 5 years now. Not sure what took so long, but this is great news. Hopefully the GNML and other organizations don't try to stand in the way, Politics should never get in the way of development.
Politics?? Get in the way?? Does that happen in the Minor Hockey?
Let's hope not and I'm sure we'll find out. The Gold Cup is certainly a step in the right direction for the northern boys.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
mike bowman

Tiger1992 , In my opinion it's not fair to try and blame the GNML for standing in the way of the minor midget situation in the NOHA . I believe I told you last year the GNML had a proposal put to the NOHA to try and address the minor midget issue within the acceptable NOHA framework . It was refused by the NOHA . This year the GNML also put forward a proposal that was well thought out and provided even more opportunity than what is apparently now in place . There are issues still to be dealt with and politics and money will be the main problems going forward . The problem was not with the GNML before and it's not now , but there are problems to overcome without a doubt . It is a start to correcting what some see as a major issue but it's far from perfect and it will take time to work it's self out .

Old
05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Hockey Fan 19

Putting the political issues aside, Minor Midget for the Northern players will finally enable more of them to be compared to their southern counterparts through participation in tournaments as a group rather than the few that were fortunate enough to make Major Midget teams. They still will be somewhat at a disadvantage though, as players in the the southern Ontario leagues are seen more often by more scouts that are a short drive away from not only tournament games but league and playoff games as well. A step in the right direction that is far better than the situation faced in previous years. Let's hope this trend continues moving forward for the kids' sake.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Hockey Fan 19

Perhaps we can turn our conversation to some of the players that may have attracted some interest in the North. The GTHL et al will get plenty of conversation closer to the draft anyway......Tiger, any players on the radar from the north this early in the game??

Old
05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foober40 View Post
Tiger1992 , In my opinion it's not fair to try and blame the GNML for standing in the way of the minor midget situation in the NOHA . I believe I told you last year the GNML had a proposal put to the NOHA to try and address the minor midget issue within the acceptable NOHA framework . It was refused by the NOHA . This year the GNML also put forward a proposal that was well thought out and provided even more opportunity than what is apparently now in place . There are issues still to be dealt with and politics and money will be the main problems going forward . The problem was not with the GNML before and it's not now , but there are problems to overcome without a doubt . It is a start to correcting what some see as a major issue but it's far from perfect and it will take time to work it's self out .
We certainly have been over this. The 95 Sudbury program was excellent for development with a high amount of draft selections. They where shunned locally for not 'working within the system'. Even denied an OHL Cup invite (imagine that). Same thing last year with Copper Cliff. My point has always been, the current system up north doesn't work. When we have seen teams like Sudbury, like Copper Cliff succeed, we should be welcoming that type of program, not shunning it like those in the north have in the past.

As an outsider, it really looks like some within the GNML are doing their best to limit programs like these from moving forward, because it hurts their relevance. Thats my opinion, thats the opinion of alot of my peers in the OHL. If thats not politics, then I don't know what is. The spin is that they are against the rules, well, if improving the amount of players that are selected by 40-50 percent happens while using a program that is against the rules, then boy, I really question those rules.

Im not from the North, I don't have any reason to hope positively or negatively on any program up there. Im pro player and pro development. When you look at the success that these programs have, and see the push back that they get, you have to wonder what the reason is. I don't get why it seems like I care more about the development of some kids up north where as those up north don't seem to share that passion. Maybe it's because I have nothing to loose? Its odd.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 05-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old
05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
mike bowman

Well Tigers1992 , I agree it is odd . I understand your point of view well and agree with you that those with talent in the north require the opportunity to develop their skills and given the chance to advance . I do live in the north however and have been active in all levels of hockey for many years . I know many of the NOHA executive personally and those behind the scenes . I also have been directly or indirectly involved in the GNML foe it's entire existence . In dealing with the establishment in the NOHA the minor midget organizations chose to ignore the rules and bypass the system . If they had followed the rules there would not have been as much negativity generated . It should be noted that some of the trouble was caused by the OHF ruling that there be a moratorium on new AAA franchise's . As a result it would have required more time and work so they chose to ignore the process . In the end it would have worked out if the organizations had chosen to follow the rules but they didn't .

Now however , the NOHA has developed a new Elite Hockey structure that will address these issues . The GNML has been working hand in hand the last two seasons with the NOHA to ensure the success of the minor midget system in the region . It will provide for development of players and advancement opportunities , as well as raising the skill level of the players who remain in the north and chose to play in the GNML . A win / win situation as they say . As I have stated , there will be issues the first few years as different groups fight to gain control of this new venture and it could lead to a messy situation . Hopefully the saner minds will keep things on the straight and narrow . If so it will be a great move forward for the minor midget aged players in the NOHA . That way more Ryan Kujawinski's , Brodie Silk's , Taylor Dupuis' and all will get to chase their dreams at the next level .

Old
05-17-2012, 09:18 AM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan 19 View Post
Perhaps we can turn our conversation to some of the players that may have attracted some interest in the North. The GTHL et al will get plenty of conversation closer to the draft anyway......Tiger, any players on the radar from the north this early in the game??
Kids to watch in the North - Soo- Blake Speers(potential 1st rounder),Jason Uhl,Adam McPhail,Andrew Barbeau,Alex Morin
Sudbury-Cameron Lizotte(potential 1st rounder),Niibin Nashkawa,Owen Fransen,Jason Bednarski,Brayden Lachance
Iroquois Falls-Brendon Locke

Old
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foober40 View Post
Well Tigers1992 , I agree it is odd . I understand your point of view well and agree with you that those with talent in the north require the opportunity to develop their skills and given the chance to advance . I do live in the north however and have been active in all levels of hockey for many years . I know many of the NOHA executive personally and those behind the scenes . I also have been directly or indirectly involved in the GNML foe it's entire existence . In dealing with the establishment in the NOHA the minor midget organizations chose to ignore the rules and bypass the system . If they had followed the rules there would not have been as much negativity generated . It should be noted that some of the trouble was caused by the OHF ruling that there be a moratorium on new AAA franchise's . As a result it would have required more time and work so they chose to ignore the process . In the end it would have worked out if the organizations had chosen to follow the rules but they didn't .

Now however , the NOHA has developed a new Elite Hockey structure that will address these issues . The GNML has been working hand in hand the last two seasons with the NOHA to ensure the success of the minor midget system in the region . It will provide for development of players and advancement opportunities , as well as raising the skill level of the players who remain in the north and chose to play in the GNML . A win / win situation as they say . As I have stated , there will be issues the first few years as different groups fight to gain control of this new venture and it could lead to a messy situation . Hopefully the saner minds will keep things on the straight and narrow . If so it will be a great move forward for the minor midget aged players in the NOHA . That way more Ryan Kujawinski's , Brodie Silk's , Taylor Dupuis' and all will get to chase their dreams at the next level .
I support Tigers response but I'm happy that they are moving forward to improving the Minor Midget program in the North...it would be nice for the GNML to allow Minor Midget teams(SOO/Sudbury)to play in their league... than critics can finally embrace the GNML...until this is done people will continue to have their opinions

Old
05-17-2012, 10:04 AM
wingman22

Any thoughts on the NHLPA Allstate 97s ?

Old
05-17-2012, 11:13 AM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Prediction top 10
Stevens,Konecny,Lizotte,Mayo,Defarias,Burns,Marner ,Bracco,Strome,Speers

Sorry I did not put a goalie ...too difficult

Old
05-17-2012, 11:15 AM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Prediction top 10

Primeau!!!

Old
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
wingman22

I believe last year they took 7 fwds and 5 d from Ontario. All Canadian so Bracco wont be on the list.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
nickels

Quote:
I believe last year they took 7 fwds and 5 d from Ontario. All Canadian so Bracco wont be on the list.
add Primeau to my top ten list delete Bracco
there you go ...Do you know when they are announcing the players?

Old
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
mike bowman

nickels
I support Tigers response but I'm happy that they are moving forward to improving the Minor Midget program in the North...it would be nice for the GNML to allow Minor Midget teams(SOO/Sudbury)to play in their league... than critics can finally embrace the GNML...until this is done people will continue to have their opinions .

Well I support Tigers response regarding player development as well . I am just saying the GNML is not to blame in this argument . The OHF and the NOHA set the rules by which minor hockey is governed not the GNML . If the process has been flawed in the past the questions should go there . As for interlocking games between teams from the league and the minor midgets , that too is an NOHA decision . As for participating in the league as franchises , it is a major midget league . There ice limitations in most centers and time constraints on league play . It would be a tough fit even if there was a decision to allow it made by the OHF and the NOHA . The NOHA is doing it's best to address the situation and I'm sure things will improve over the next few years . Out of curiosity , do any of the southern minor midget teams play in major midget leagues ?

Concerning the players to watch from the region I will concur on your selections . Speers is a a special player without a doubt but I think he will be playing for the North Stars next year if my information is correct . I have seen most of the others you mentioned at least once and they are all very good . Young Locke from IF is very good as well but the jump from A competition is a bit bigger than for some of the others . Having seen him several times though , I believe he can adapt . I understand he has skated in Timmins already with the Majors and possibly Kap as well . He is going to try for the minor team in Sudbury a well . New this year in Timmins is a AAA peewee team that will compete together . It has players from Timmins , Iroquois Falls and Kirkland Lake . Should make the Timmins AAA bantam team more competitive in a few years . The development landscape is changing in the North as I have said .

Old
05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Does anyone know if McDavid will be in this game? Ekblad was in it last year, so I figure McDavid should be in it this year. I certainly hope so. Would be great to see him on the ice with Matt Barzal.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:44 AM
wingman22

I am sure McDavid will get invited and I am sure he will attend as will the majority of top picks in the WHL Draft. The invite needs to cover the country so Q and East Coast kids will be there. Should be good talent no doubt

Old
05-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Pinch

Quote:
Prediction top 10

Don't forget Scott from Whitby, he is a kid to watch!

Old
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch View Post
Don't forget Scott from Whitby, he is a kid to watch!
Im glad you mentioned his name...I watched Whitby play a few times and a big strong forward was really good...I think he was #8 or 13 not sure if it the same kid but he definetely is a player to watch

Old
05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
nickels

Quote:
Yes...this tournament attracts many top players in the province and from the US...the schedule not out yet will post link once it comes out.
cchasports.com...97 elite schedule...Team to watch...Team No Name (Que) and West Coast Selects

Old
05-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
What's the reason on the Strong move?

I thought he was a Marlies guy through and through? Oh well, don't like that guy one bit.

Someone fill me in on the Ottawa guys. Whose the favourites? Wild right?

Old
05-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
cchasports.com...97 elite schedule...Team to watch...Team No Name (Que) and West Coast Selects
Thank you ever so kindly, Nickles.

Do you know what MFLD stands for? Is Lindsay Hofford's team that top Ontario team? Thanks for your info.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:40 PM
nickels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Thank you ever so kindly, Nickles.

Do you know what MFLD stands for? Is Lindsay Hofford's team that top Ontario team? Thanks for your info.
Not sure what MFLD means! ...He will have a good team with players from Hill Academy...probably Nikita Korostelev and Artem Suyargulov maybe Mitchell Marner...I was hoping to see a roster to find the top players.

Old
05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Pinch

Quote:
Im glad you mentioned his name...I watched Whitby play a few times and a big strong forward was really good...I think he was #8 or 13 not sure if it the same kid but he definetely is a player to watch
No, Scott is #66

Old
05-30-2012, 11:50 AM
wingman22

I believe MFLD is a typo for NFLD

Old
05-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
I believe MFLD is a typo for NFLD
That makes sense. Thank you ever so kindly, Wingman.

Closed Thread