HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLIII All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
googlymoogly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I'm pretty sure Phoenix' viewership numbers are terrible too. People in New York care just as much about the Coyotes as they would about a team in Quebec.
The only player I know on the Coyotes is Shane Doan. They are basically in the middle of no where. It would be better to move them to Quebec or Portland.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Looks like Dale Hunter ain't going back to Washington next year, steps down as Caps coach

Old
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Et le But

I guess even club heroes and "winners" at the Junior Hockey level can't get away with pissing off star players.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I guess even club heroes and "winners" at the Junior Hockey level can't get away with pissing off star players.
If Hunter wanted to come back pretty sure the Caps would have gladly hired him.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
If Hunter wanted to come back pretty sure the Caps would have gladly hired him.
That would've been great for the rest of the conference if he kept coaching in that style.

Old
05-14-2012, 12:07 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That would've been great for the rest of the conference if he kept coaching in that style.
Yeah because the way they play is so much more boring compared to exciting teams like the Kings and Rangers right?

Old
05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Yeah because the way they play is so much more boring compared to exciting teams like the Kings and Rangers right?

For what it's worth, they are celebrating over on the Caps board. I don't think you'd get quite the same reaction if Torts stepped down, even if I find the Rangers awful to watch.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
MathMan

Quote:
It has nothing to do with "boring" and everything to do with "ineffective".

But for the record, the Kings are a good offensive team that had a bad season on finish, and not one of those ultradefensive clubs.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
It has nothing to do with "boring" and everything to do with "ineffective".

But for the record, the Kings are a good offensive team that had a bad season on finish, and not one of those ultradefensive clubs.
The Kings aren't a good offensive team at all. They have good offensive talents in Kopitar and Doughty but they don't play an offensive style of play. At all.

If a team has a bad year offensively...they are not a good offensive team.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
MathMan

Quote:
The Kings aren't a good offensive team at all. They have good offensive talents in Kopitar and Doughty but they don't play an offensive style of play. At all.
11th-most shots in the league. If they didn't score it wasn't for lack of trying.

That said there's some evidence that their D-men took too many of their shots (at the expense of forwards) before Sutter showed up.

They are also third for most goals in the playoffs (and the highest-scoring among those remaining), and the only team to have scored three goals a game in the playoffs without facing either Bryzgalov or Fleury. No, they did this against St-Louis (least goals against in league) and Vancouver (4th least). Small samples, sure, but...

Old
05-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
11th-most shots in the league. If they didn't score it wasn't for lack of trying.

That said there's some evidence that their D-men took too many of their shots (at the expense of forwards) before Sutter showed up.

They are also third for most goals in the playoffs (and the highest-scoring among those remaining), and the only team to have scored three goals a game in the playoffs without facing either Bryzgalov or Fleury. No, they did this against St-Louis (least goals against in league) and Vancouver (4th least). Small samples, sure, but...
I'm too lazy to calculate the numbers but I'm pretty sure their offensive stats were boosted a lot with the acquisition of Carter.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm too lazy to calculate the numbers but I'm pretty sure their offensive stats were boosted a lot with the acquisition of Carter.
And the removal of a bad defenseman in Jack Johnson. Both helped.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not saying it would be more stable either, but I disagree that they'd lose viewers. I think they'd gain a lot more new viewers from Qc than they'd lose in Phx.
The Canadian dollar could be raised, but it's the same thing for Winnipeg, that didn't stop them.

As for Phoenix possibly ending up being a decent market, I think the point is that they waited as long as they could. Can't keep waiting forever.
You're right but this is the first deep run they've ever had. Hell, they never made 2nd round. It takes some success or a buzz to make it work. It's a start. They need to build on this and get momentum.

As for viewers, people in winnipeg watched hockey with or without the jets. Most people in PHX won't if they don't have a local team. The fans they actually DO have will be lost. In terms of seating and people attending games, yes, the figures will go up, but in terms of expanding the game to NEW people...it goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
never say never...

but I think it will take much MUCH more than 1 deep playoff run (even with a cup win) to turn it into even a decent market.

they've been a playoff team 3 straight years, yet this year a week before the playoffs you could still easily get lower bowl tickets for ~20$, despite the tight race to get into the playoffs/win the division.

on the sporting scene, the Sun Devils, Cardinals, Suns and Dbacks already occupy the pro sports landscape, and hockey hasn't made any kind of dent in 16 years of operation.

at some point, hoping that it will eventually catch on needs to face the reality that people in Arizona just don't really care about hockey.

I would be interested in seeing the stats on the growth in minor hockey in the phoenix area, while I know the yotes have made efforts to help with rinks, I don't think it's caught on the way it has in California, Dallas and other southern U.S markets... though that's just perception (i go to phoenix a few times/year and have ties to the sporting community down there, the "talk" is that no one cares about hockey and no one really plays it... but it could be just talk...).
PHX were just plain not good in all this time. You need a championship or at least some sort of excellence. No one wants to feel represented by losers. If PHX plays a strong 3rd round, win or lose, I think it will slightly help them.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Phoenix' viewership numbers are terrible too. People in New York care just as much about the Coyotes as they would about a team in Quebec.
Expanding on I said to Kriss above, I don't see how any of this is relevant. If anything, you are proving my point. Established markets will likely be unphased. If Quebec(the province) hasn't made you aware of hockey then a new team likely won't help.

There is 'potential' in PHX. We can argue that it's likely a hard to reach potential and I would agree with you, but the room for growth is vastly superior to that of Quebec city or any other new canadian market.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I hope Phoenix keeps it's team. As a former Expos fan, I hate seeing cities lose their teams.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Expanding on I said to Kriss above, I don't see how any of this is relevant. If anything, you are proving my point. Established markets will likely be unphased. If Quebec(the province) hasn't made you aware of hockey then a new team likely won't help.

There is 'potential' in PHX. We can argue that it's likely a hard to reach potential and I would agree with you, but the room for growth is vastly superior to that of Quebec city or any other new canadian market.
The only potential is that some young kids might see a hockey game and fall in love with the sport, and in 10-15 years we might see some more kids drafted into the NHL from Arizona. That's super long term, in the short-long term Quebec would make the league much more money, plus it wouldn't be sucking revenue sharing from other teams that could use it. Jersey sales would spike as well.

The American TV ratings wouldn't fall at all if Phoenix moved to Quebec I'd wager. Ratings went up this year even with Atlanta going to Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I hope Phoenix keeps it's team. As a former Expos fan, I hate seeing cities lose their teams.
Well Quebec had to go through that.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
The only potential is that some young kids might see a hockey game and fall in love with the sport, and in 10-15 years we might see some more kids drafted into the NHL from Arizona. That's super long term, in the short-long term Quebec would make the league much more money, plus it wouldn't be sucking revenue sharing from other teams that could use it. Jersey sales would spike as well.

The American TV ratings wouldn't fall at all if Phoenix moved to Quebec I'd wager. Ratings went up this year even with Atlanta going to Winnipeg.

Well Quebec had to go through that.
Living in Nashville for the past 8 years I was bummed when there was talk of the team leaving. Since the big rally and protest they have been on the up and up. All good. Hopefully Phoenix can reap the same rewards in the coming years. It's not a bad thing if USA markets can catch on.

Instant gratification of course with Winnipeg and possibly Quebec,but it is funny that hey, they had teams and lost them for the same reasons Atlanta and Phoenix.

I'm all for trying to expand the sport because in the States there are a lot more people then Canada . If they jumped on board it would trump Canada 20X over. Give credit where credit is due, Bettman believes and nothing comes gaurenteed but he is trying. To give up and go down the easy road with instant gratification, sure go to Quebec. Continue to give it a chance? Why not. Maybe when none of us are around anymore is when it will start paying off. That's just life, but hockey in the Southwest and The south in general is not a bad thing. I'm not going to dog it.

At least this year I didn't have to talk football all day long. People in Nashville were actually into good hard hockey talk. I like it.

Just saying........Screw Quebec for the moment, the NHL has other plans and good on them. Let them build an arena. Maybe while they wait they can fill it with American made rock bands and country bands. One hand washes the other at the end of the day.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Semin will be UFA in July:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/79...ed-free-agency

I know it's not a popular opinion but I'd take him on this team for a reasonable term. I think he and Plekanec would make a great duo. Most importantly, we'd get an elite skill asset without having to give up any youth. I'm sure he'd be willing to sign short term in order to get better stats and get better money too. He'd help the powerplay and be a game breaker. Obviously he has flaws but if it's a shorter term deal there is almost no risk.

x-Plekanec-Semin
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
x-Eller-Gionta

Because our coaching staff last season wasn't that smart we don't know whether Desharnais can make Bourque actually NHL worthy.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
Living in Nashville for the past 8 years I was bummed when there was talk of the team leaving. Since the big rally and protest they have been on the up and up. All good. Hopefully Phoenix can reap the same rewards in the coming years. It's not a bad thing if USA markets can catch on.

Instant gratification of course with Winnipeg and possibly Quebec,but it is funny that hey, they had teams and lost them for the same reasons Atlanta and Phoenix.

I'm all for trying to expand the sport because in the States there are a lot more people then Canada . If they jumped on board it would trump Canada 20X over. Give credit where credit is due, Bettman believes and nothing comes gaurenteed but he is trying. To give up and go down the easy road with instant gratification, sure go to Quebec. Continue to give it a chance? Why not. Maybe when none of us are around anymore is when it will start paying off. That's just life, but hockey in the Southwest and The south in general is not a bad thing. I'm not going to dog it.

At least this year I didn't have to talk football all day long. People in Nashville were actually into good hard hockey talk. I like it.

Just saying........Screw Quebec for the moment, the NHL has other plans and good on them. Let them build an arena. Maybe while they wait they can fill it with American made rock bands and country bands. One hand washes the other at the end of the day.

One thing to add.......NHL Canada, before you go on with replanting teams.......PLease drop Nickleback or should I say Nickelcrap from all your adds. There is nothing more that makes us down here cringe more then bad music, and that's really,really bad.

For the record, I've been a habs fan for 35 years.From Toronto and just happen to be living in Nashville now.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Clumsyhab

Another nice backcheck by Mcdo. What a skater.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

****ing Ryan McDonagh.

What could've been.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
One thing to add.......NHL Canada, before you go on with replanting teams.......PLease drop Nickleback or should I say Nickelcrap from all your adds. There is nothing more that makes us down here cringe more then bad music, and that's really,really bad.

For the record, I've been a habs fan for 35 years.From Toronto and just happen to be living in Nashville now.
Nickleback is the highest selling foreign band of all time in america, if you don't like them so much stop buying their ****!!

You think we like them?

Old
05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Andy

Man Henrique is so good. Looks like a vet.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:33 PM

I can't even watch a Rangers game without getting pissed off. Thanks Gainey.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Watching McDo makes me sad.

I mean, every team gives up on a player or two too early only to see them flourish on another team, but this one hurts for some reason.

Edit: And then Healy brings it up

Old
05-14-2012, 07:41 PM
OpenIceHit

It hurts to see how McDonagh has progressed and how good he has become. What a waste...

Closed Thread