HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this season officially a success?

Old
05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I want the Devils heads on a plate. THE END. Hate this team.
So this. **** the Devils. They are our blood rival. BEAT THEM. PLAY FOR CUP. WIN CUP. ENJOY PARADE.

Destroy Fatso make him want to retire.

8-6 the rest of the way wins a cup.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
dmjt4160

Yes. The team has taken that next step. They did so in a big way during the regular season and now we are on the final four in the playoffs. I don't think I will look back on this season a month from now, 6 months from now, a year from now etc. and say differently.

This team is so young and this experience is just going to be huge for us going forward if we continue this progression and ultimately win a cup (or two) within the next few years.

dmjt4160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Dangleberry

At this point I'd have to say yes. I was satisfied after getting past the first round, but my expectations changed when I found out we were facing the Caps. They're on my top 5 list of hated teams.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjt4160 View Post
The team has taken that next step.
Not sure about that. They have made it past the first round twice Sather has taken over. I think that they are taking the right steps. But still have a ways to go. They need to establish a record of excellence.

Having said that, when you are this close, it would be hard to pump your chest if you could not beat the Devils.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
ohbaby

Is this season officially a success?

Not if we get swept by the Debbies. No sir.
If we were to go 7 games and lose in triple OT,... then maybe the season was a wash.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:55 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Success for sure, now we're playing with house money. No doubt the team sees this as a great opportunity and will do everything humanly possible to get to that cup

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I want the Devils heads on a plate. THE END. Hate this team.
Oh totally. It will not be easy. But I want to beat this team so bad. Friends with a lot them, married to one of them and she's awesome. But I'm so tired of the constant obsession over our team, and the constant bashing of Lundvist..cause ya know, heaven for bid should anyone even be mentioned in the same breath as the great Mar-Tan.

Beat them. And shut the idiots in their fanbase up.

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 05-14-2012 at 12:06 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

No season is a success unless you win the Cup.

That said, losing to the Devils would be a big disappointment and so would losing in the finals.

Cup or bust.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
It is, but we have to beat the Devils. I don't think anyone can "clinch" a successful year. You have to beat every team you should. Going into the season, I would have called a ECF appearance a success, but I thought we would face the Penguins and lose. Now, we somehow have home ice. We have to win this series.

05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Bardof425*

Yes it is. We still have significant holes in our lineup. We have 4 defenseman we can count on and two 4th lines. Our PP is awful and we just do not score enough. So, based on those things we have done a great job with largely a system and hard work. It's all gravy from here says my head but my heart wants the cup!

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:13 PM
SnowblindNYR

I wanted us to take that next step that I've never really seen the team take (my dad told me I watched the Rangers in the ECF and finals in 94 but I don't remember and I didn't follow them in 97). I honestly think no matter how far we go, we'll be looking at this team in the coming years and laugh at how we overachieved with us having so many grinders and such a poor PP. #1 in the east and conference finals for a team that has 2 4th lines and an embarrassing PP. We'll be better in coming years.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Yes it has been and this team has taken the next step. Not many young teams win the Cup without making a deep run first. This certainly qualifies as a deep run. Hopefully it doesn't end this round.

I have to admit, Devils fans are a bunch of mouth breathing mongoloids, so losing would s@ck. I don't want the Rangers losing but regardless this team makes you proud to watch them. They do almost everything the right way, except give us fans, heart attacks.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:29 PM
eco's bones

As is--the year is a big success--but it will be disappointing if we don't win it all. Already some teams seem to be mimicking the way we play.

As far as repeating--we have a young team and our D should get better and then there is Henrik--and who knows maybe we'll pick up another scorer for next year. That being said--the idea of a dynasty seems like a thing of the past. IMO the Bruins withered in the 2nd half because they finally hit the wall. It's tough play 4 long hard brutal series--have a short summer and then start all over again with everybody looking at you as the team to test themselves against. A lot more of their guys are older than ours but IMO they're better balanced as far as offense/defence than we are. That doesn't mean I think they're better but they're better in some areas.

Anyway I would have a problem losing against the Devils. Of all the teams in this year's playoffs I don't want to see win the cup it would be 1) Pittsburgh 2) New Jersey 3)Washington 4) Philadelphia.

One of the great things about these playoffs for us though is all our young players getting all these games in. Invaluable for the future.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

As far as season success, yes it is by a landslide. I think we are significantly ahead of schedule in terms of what this organization wants to achieve.

That said, I will be very disappointed(not angry) with our team if we lose to our most hated rivals in the ECF.

I wouldn't get too mad if we got to the SCF and lost to like the Kings. At the end of the day, this team has holes that need to be addressed.

However, they can still prove me wrong. So far they have achieved what I thought they could, now its up to them.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
NikC

I don’t think its premature to say that the “season” was successful.
We’re having a pretty good post season run because of a strong season.

This team has made good strides in terms of identity, team work, structure, consistency,
However it has a long way to go on the offensive end of the game. We desperately need more
5-5 scoring and a functional powerplay. We need to bring in more offense and start dominating opponents.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

pointing out the seeds is ridiculous imho. before this season started the Caps were almost universally picked as the 2nd best team in the East. The Kings were a cup contender, and the Rangers would be luck to be in the 4-6 range.

Devils were the #7 seed only because of the way the points gave the suckier division winner points.

4 best teams in the East during the RS were all from the Atlantic Division. Rangers beat em all out.

This season was a success before the playoffs started...no long losing streaks the entire damn season. winning the winter classic, winning game after game after game withotu getting much in the way of goalscoring. Losing Staal to start the season, losing Sauer midway, playing guys like Eminger, Bickel, Woywitka and Stralman big minutes.

IMHO we've been in bonus time since the minute we won round 1.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
pointing out the seeds is ridiculous imho. before this season started the Caps were almost universally picked as the 2nd best team in the East. The Kings were a cup contender, and the Rangers would be luck to be in the 4-6 range.

Devils were the #7 seed only because of the way the points gave the suckier division winner points.

4 best teams in the East during the RS were all from the Atlantic Division. Rangers beat em all out.

This season was a success before the playoffs started...no long losing streaks the entire damn season. winning the winter classic, winning game after game after game withotu getting much in the way of goalscoring. Losing Staal to start the season, losing Sauer midway, playing guys like Eminger, Bickel, Woywitka and Stralman big minutes.

IMHO we've been in bonus time since the minute we won round 1.

excellent. well done. As a fan of this team, i'm not really sure how you can complain given what this team has accomplished this season.
People say they want the cup and no less, and I understand that, but we've arrived on the scene a little early for that.

I've resigned myself to the way this team has played and won this season. maybe this round we'll be able to score more goals. I think we will against NJ. Going forward into next season we've had a great year to build on regardless. This team with more offensive power is going to contend for at least 3-5 years imo.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
When I saw them in preseason in Europe I never would have believed that we can go to the Eastern Finals. I was wondering where the goals were going to come from. This was before I understood that Dubie is not going to score any goals either.

So Clearly the team D is the best in the league and scoring 2 goals and winning consistantly games is something we are very good at. Never a dull game, we were almost always in games een when we lost.

So I say this season has been a thrill so far!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm in the middle. While I think that "just making the playoffs" doesn't count as a successful season, I also think that if you don't win the cup you can still have a successful season. As a team with a growing core of young players, this is a substantial step in the right direction.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
I said in the offseason that if we signed Brad Richards it was an indication the team believes they're Cup-ready. It has been a great season, and there would be nothing to be ashamed of if we fall short...however, we're capable and I'm optimistic about our chances.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
By expectations set before the season began, I would count making it to the east finals a successful year. HOWEVER, it is always unacceptable to me for the Rangers to lose to the Devils in the playoffs. So basically, it would be the worst possible way for the team to lose in the ECF, but that's still making it to the ECF.

I basically called the season a success the moment we ousted Washington. It's been so long since we've gotten out of the second round and I'm definitely sick of being beaten by the caps.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:32 PM
bigbluebird

Lol, I love threads like these. Maybe I'm a pessimist (?), but I find it therapeutic before every round to sit down for a long, hard moment and evaluate how I will re-collect myself if we lose ahaha.

That being said, I feel extremely proud of this team and very optimistic for the future. No matter if we lose--if the effort's there--I'll feel good about it. (After a good, hard cry ahaha).

Two big buts coming...

1) As others have mentioned, our opponents, first the Caps, and now the Devils, kind of necessitate a win in my mind, just because I hate these teams (for different reasons). Especially considering how big this rivalry is in this area (I literally go to grad school in jersey right now), it would be insufferable to lose to these guys.

2) Call me a delusional, or a homer, but I've just had this feeling that this 'our year' for a while now. So, in that sense, I would be crushed, because I feel so good about our team, about this moment.

Okay, so cathartic moment over--LGR!

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We're here, aren't we?

Nosed our way out of the first two rounds... you never know, no matter how good your team is, even if its getting better... how many chances at this point you are going to get.

Have to make the most out of this season, now. I will be very disappointed if we're stopped here, now, by this team.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:05 PM
thewaitingisover

Yes. Win or lose, our boys treated us to a great season and I'm proud. We can only get better from here.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackLibertys View Post
If they lose to the Devils I would be disappointed, for about a week. Then I would remember that we would have all been happy with just one playoff round win coming into the season and I would be happy for what the season became. I think the problem is when you see them do well you up your expectations. A lot of people were talking 6-8 with this team before they year started, and even worse after the Euro-funk start to the year.
I get what you're saying but as fan for 50+ years( where I've been witness firsthand to many disappointments and failures) and with the circumstances that have presented themselves(Pens, Bruins, Canucks, Wings, Hawks out of playoffs), we need to seize the opportunity that has presented itself because you never know if/when it will come around again.
That being said, anything less than a win vs the Devils(7 games of course) and a win for the cup vs the Kings or Yotes would be a major disappointment and an abject failure.
We gotta get this done whatever it takes! LGR!!!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote