HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2012 Canada-Russia junior summit

Old
05-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Thanks for that. Has the fact it's going to be held been reported at all?
I tend to follow the allhockey.ru website for news, and I haven't seen anything yet, but I'm sure they will. I expect there will be full reporting on it immediately before and during the series.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufon68 View Post
First of all, it's not canada's B team, there are quite a few individuals who would be A team players, then there are quite a few individuals who would be B team players and some prospects, so it's a mixed bag, but saying it's a B team suggests these are the players you would put into your B team if your A team was around, which is simply not the case.

Second of all, all medal contenders at the WC are missing players, some declined, some are still in the playoffs, so like every world championships, it's the best what's available and willing vs the best what's available and willing, it's the same for everyone.

I don't think the rest of the hockey world really gives a rat's ass about what canada follows or not, we are having fun at the world championships each year because it's a quality international hockey(from the QF onwards but also some of the group matches).
Well said! I agree 100%

Old
05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Canadians don't make excuses for the world championship because nobody cares about it... Russia should win, they ice their A team.. Canada uses it mainly as a development tournament to give their young stars international experience and more playing time... If Hockey Canada cared about winning the WC, they'd make choices differently when selecting the team.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the Russian team was an all star team while the CHL is divided into 3 league all star teams... This despite Moscow being 1/3 the size of the entire country of Canada....
Yes, I'll correct you. The Russian team was made up of MHL Selects, key and best players were not there. So it was a good team, but not an all-star team. In the end, a lot of the players from SSS did not make the WJC squad.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Not to speak for Fulcrum, but I think it is fair to say that there won't be anything near the level of interest in Russia that you will find in Canada. There is not a TSN to hype the series up, and there just isn't the same level of interest in junior hockey as there is in Canada (no country matches Canada for interest in junior hockey).
Sounds right.

There will still be hype in Russia, but it will be among experts, hardcore fans and locals (where the games are played).

It's unrealistic for Rus jr. hockey to compete with big, developed sports like football, Olympics and so on.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Thanks for that. Has the fact it's going to be held been reported at all?
There will be a lot of interest. I bet there will be sellouts (hockey in Yaroslavl is crazy popular) and TV translations. Sure our stadiums aren't as big as canadians.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:51 AM
SH15

While I acknowledge and give full credit to the Russian victories in the past two WJHC's, things will be a lot different in a 4 game series. The Russians will not want any part of the physical Canadian game by the time the puck drops for the 3rd period of Game 1, let alone Games 2-4. It will be a lot of fun to watch but I truly think Russia will be steamrolled. Call me biased though, I suppose. And I say this with all respect for Russian hockey and Canada's greatest hockey rival (anyone who says USA is nuts)

To put it in relative terms, think of the World Championships. It means everything to Russia, it is of utmost importance. For Canada, we want to win, but it's not the end of the world if we don't. Same thinking but reversed for this type of Junior Series. You can guarantee Canada will come to play right from puck drop, and it won't take long for it to become more of a fun exhibition for the Russian players. Meanwhile Canada will still be trying to put them through the endboards on every dump and chase.

The above is just my opinion and how I see it shaking out. I mean no disrespect to our Russian friends here. I don't think the Russian kids will take it nearly as seriously as Canada, and that will affect the final results.

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:54 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh15 View Post
while i acknowledge and give full credit to the russian victories in the past two wjhc's, things will be a lot different in a 4 game series. The russians will not want any part of the physical canadian game by the time the puck drops for the 3rd period of game 1, let alone games 2-4. It will be a lot of fun to watch but i truly think russia will be steamrolled. Call me biased though, i suppose. And i say this with all respect for russian hockey and canada's greatest hockey rival (anyone who says usa is nuts)

to put it in relative terms, think of the world championships. It means everything to russia, it is of utmost importance. For canada, we want to win, but it's not the end of the world if we don't. Same thinking but reversed for this type of junior series. You can guarantee canada will come to play right from puck drop, and it won't take long for it to become more of a fun exhibition for the russian players. Meanwhile canada will still be trying to put them through the endboards on every dump and chase.

The above is just my opinion and how i see it shaking out. I mean no disrespect to our russian friends here. I don't think the russian kids will take it nearly as seriously as canada, and that will affect the final results.
Canada **** yeah!!

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH15 View Post
The Russians will not want any part of the physical Canadian game by the time the puck drops for the 3rd period of Game 1, let alone Games 2-4.
Those sissies... of course they won't .. they'll hide behind their mommy's backs the same way they did in recent years.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
While I acknowledge and give full credit to the Russian victories in the past two WJHC's, things will be a lot different in a 4 game series. The Russians will not want any part of the physical Canadian game by the time the puck drops for the 3rd period of Game 1, let alone Games 2-4. It will be a lot of fun to watch but I truly think Russia will be steamrolled. Call me biased though, I suppose. And I say this with all respect for Russian hockey and Canada's greatest hockey rival (anyone who says USA is nuts)

To put it in relative terms, think of the World Championships. It means everything to Russia, it is of utmost importance. For Canada, we want to win, but it's not the end of the world if we don't. Same thinking but reversed for this type of Junior Series. You can guarantee Canada will come to play right from puck drop, and it won't take long for it to become more of a fun exhibition for the Russian players. Meanwhile Canada will still be trying to put them through the endboards on every dump and chase.

The above is just my opinion and how I see it shaking out. I mean no disrespect to our Russian friends here. I don't think the Russian kids will take it nearly as seriously as Canada, and that will affect the final results.
This is why Russians enjoy beating Canadians, and has been especially pleasant to watch Canadians eat their own words, like the ones above, and leave the game early before the final whistle covered in defeat. "Putting people through end boards", somehow doesn't win games..

Old
05-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:

I remember an exhibition game between SKA and Carolina becoming very heated 2 years ago. And how can they even not take the game seriously if Canadian players will compete hard, especially since it will last for 4 games? It's more about Russia and Canada being life-long rivals than about tournament status IMO, so I don't think our boys will take the series lightly.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:30 PM
JackSlater

If I recall correctly, after being drafted Taylor Hall skipped the summer evaluation camp because he knew he was going to be in the NHL for the year. Presumably, had a summit like this been held he would have missed it. Are there reasons to think that this could happen this year, maybe with a guy like Murray or Huberdeau?

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:13 PM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
This is why Russians enjoy beating Canadians, and has been especially pleasant to watch Canadians eat their own words, like the ones above, and leave the game early before the final whistle covered in defeat. "Putting people through end boards", somehow doesn't win games..
Against Russia it most certainly does. If Canada comes out in Game 1 and plays physically like they should, they can have the Russian players checked out of the entire series before the first game is even over. I'm sorry if this sounds insulting to your players, but this is my view supported by watching Canada/Russia junior games for my entire life.

Obviously Russians or those cheering for Russia would not agree with me. Nor should I expect you to. I tried to be respectful in stating my respect for Russian hockey and that the views were just how I see the series playing out. Obviously I did not do a good enough job since you look forward to me "eating my words". We shall see. I'll tell you this, when there is any Junior hockey event with no NHL to remove players from Canada's roster, the results are undeniable.

You cheer for Russia. I'll cheer for Canada. I have a feeling it's going to be a rough 4 games for you in every sense of the word.

Last edited by SH15: 05-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Against Russia it most certainly does. If Canada comes out in Game 1 and plays physically like they should, they can have the Russian players checked out of the entire series before the first game is even over. I'm sorry if this sounds insulting to your players, but this is my view supported by watching Canada/Russia junior games for my entire life.

Obviously Russians or those cheering for Russia would not agree with me. Nor should I expect you to. I tried to be respectful in stating my respect for Russian hockey and that the views were just how I see the series playing out. Obviously I did not do a good enough job since you look forward to me "eating my words". We shall see. I'll tell you this, when there is any Junior hockey event with no NHL to remove players from Canada's roster, the results are undeniable.

You cheer for Russia. I'll cheer for Canada. I have a feeling it's going to be a rough 4 games for you in every sense of the word.
Don Cherry? ho' ya doing old pal?

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Den

With 2 more hits per unit time, is it true to say Canada sealed victory?

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
SH15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Don Cherry? ho' ya doing old pal?
*Thumbs up!* LET'S GO! Why these junior kids haffa wear visors and everythink? Come on, LET'S GO!! *Slams desk*

All joking aside, the physical play will be a huge part of this series and essential to any success Canada will have. Especially at the Junior level and in a 4 game series.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Parise9Crosby87

hope my mackinnon tears it up

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:28 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:

I have no problem with this post.

During the last 8 game series it was disgustingly one sided. This may be the same.

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

The physical game was probably a big part of Canada's victories in 2007, but I doubt it will be much of a factor this year. First, Brent Sutter was probably Canada's best coach in recent decades in terms of getting his players to be consistently physical. He won't be coaching this year, as far as I know. Second, the Russian kids were probably surprised and taken off guard by Canada's approach, but that's not likely to happen again. Russia will have a big team, and they won't be easily pushed around.

The KHL is far more physical than the RSL back in 2007 - Canadian goons abound (Chris Simon, Gratton, Darcy Varot, Brennan, etc.). The goon game is a part of Russian hockey now, so the kids will manage it and probably give a little back for what they get. If Canada is to win, they will have to play better hockey than Russia, and Russia will have a much bigger and better team than they had in 2007.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

That's an interesting approach! "Trying to be respectful" by being disrespectful. Never thought of that.

Have your fantasies, but in my years of watching sports, nothing ever turns out the same way it did the last time. I think it will be a very close series, with neither team able to gain a dominant edge. Let's be honest, if the World Juniors are any indication, things have been tailing off a bit for Canada. There just arent that many great and dominant players in recent years. Maybe in August, who knows. I look for the Russians to acquit themselves very well.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:07 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Let's be honest, if the World Juniors are any indication, things have been tailing off a bit for Canada. There just arent that many great and dominant players in recent years.
Duchene, Skinner, Kane, Hall,Seguin.
Seguin, Nugent Hopkins, Skinner, Couturier, Johanssen.

Things are not ''tailing off'' the depth is enlargening and reaching proportions Canada has never ever seen. Would be humerous right now had those players played in the WJC we'd be talking about a 7 or 8 year repeat championship performance. Had those 8 players been on this current WC team they'd still be able to contend for a Gold Medal. That's not ''tailing off.''

Last edited by habsrule4eva3089: 05-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.
habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post

Things are not ''tailing off'' the depth is enlargening and reaching proportions Canada has never ever seen. Would be humerous right now had those players played in the WJC we'd be talking about a 7 or 8 year repeat championship performance. Had those 8 players been on this current WC team they'd still be able to contend for a Gold Medal. That's not ''tailing off.''
... but... um... Russia won two games against Canada in a row... so therefore there are no dominant Canadian junior aged players! Those guys would not have made any difference!

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

Some of the guys you named did play in the WJC, if I recall correctly (Kane, Hall, Couturier, Johansson). Regardless of what year they didn't play, they weren't dominant in the years that they did. They didn't lead Canada to Gold. It seems that your statement may be based on the fact that these kids played respectably in the NHL immediately at a young age. But that doesn't mean that they are necessarily dominant talents. Historically, it has not been unusual for teenagers to have an immediate impact in the NHL. That is especially true now, because the talent pool is stretched thin with 30 teams to staff. I don't think its a given that if a kid plays well in the NHL, he would automatically dominate in the WJC.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:

Don't forget, Russia was also missing players in the past to NHL, AHL... Guys like Burmistrov, Grachev, Kulikov, Avtsin, Loktionov

And anyway, if you compare this series to 2007, might as well compare to 1990's 1980's .. it would be just as (ir)relevant.

Completely different generation of players, system and so on..

Last edited by Fulcrum: 05-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
... but... um... Russia won two games against Canada in a row... so therefore there are no dominant Canadian junior aged players! Those guys would not have made any difference!
because they were too busy dominating the NHL against real men.

Yeah, so was Kulikov but dont pretend like he would have made a difference or is even comparable to Ryan Nugent - Hopkins.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
because they were too busy dominating the NHL against real men.

Yeah, so was Kulikov but dont pretend like he would have made a difference or is even comparable to Ryan Nugent - Hopkins.
May be not as much, but for a weaker Russian defense he would've been a HUGE boost.