HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A New Jersey vs. Phoenix Final.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
  #201
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I think the ratings for the Final will be the lowest in a while no matter who gets there at this point. Unless the conference final rounds are amazing, I don't expect much for ratings in the Final.
Given that LA/NY are two of the biggest media markets in the world, I think the NHL would be very happy with an LA/NY final.

Number8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
  #202
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
If the Rangers don't make it to the finals, we could have the worst ratings for a finals in a very, very long time, if not the worst ratings ever.

Simply put, nobody cares about Phoenix, Los Angeles or New Jersey. All three are "nothing" teams, and nobody outside of their hometowns cares about them. They play boring hockey. Hell, at this point, the playoffs can only be negative for the game. Soccer on ice? Eww. No thanks.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:30 PM
  #203
Jossipov
Patty's Better
 
Jossipov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Arlington, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
If the Rangers don't make it to the finals, we could have the worst ratings for a finals in a very, very long time, if not the worst ratings ever.

Simply put, nobody cares about Phoenix, Los Angeles or New Jersey. All three are "nothing" teams, and nobody outside of their hometowns cares about them. They play boring hockey. Hell, at this point, the playoffs can only be negative for the game. Soccer on ice? Eww. No thanks.
Kind of lame that you're Canadian and seem to know nothing about Hockey...Have you even watched a game this season

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:36 PM
  #204
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I think it's funny that he holds the Rangers up as the only example of a team not playing boring hockey.

If you want exciting hockey in the Final, you want LA-NJ. Simple as that.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:45 PM
  #205
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
Kind of lame that you're Canadian and seem to know nothing about Hockey...Have you even watched a game this season


You're a funny one!

I know a lot about hockey. I'd say that I know more about the game than 99% of people. I've watched this game excessively for as long as I can remember. I've spent countless hours learning about player development, coaching styles, all the rules, the CBA, etc, etc.

The fact is, New Jersey had a following in the early 2000's and late 1990's, but that has long died out. Phoenix and Los Angeles have two of the lowest followings in the league, and Jersey isn't far behind.

This is BAD for the sport. What hockey needed was the opposite of what happened. A Nashville vs Philadelphia final would have been fantastic. The Predators have grown to have a fairly strong following, especially with most Thrashers fans having moved to the Preds. Philadelphia is one of the most popular teams in the league.

Ideally, though, the BEST finals for the league would be Toronto or Montreal vs Vancouver or Edmonton.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:46 PM
  #206
snapurna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
If you want exciting hockey in the Final, you want LA-NJ. Simple as that.
Agree with this. I think an LA/NJ final would be pretty exciting.

snapurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
  #207
snapurna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Phoenix and Los Angeles have two of the lowest followings in the league, and Jersey isn't far behind.

lolwut?

snapurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
  #208
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapurna View Post
lolwut?
Los Angeles is a nothing team. Nobody outside of Los Angeles gives a damn about them. Honestly? I don't think most people would even notice if they disappeared.

Simple fact. The Kings are one of the most irrelevant franchises in pro sports.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
  #209
AverysPurse
Registered User
 
AverysPurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kutztown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AverysPurse
stupidity in this thread > the ratings on tv no matter who is in the SCF

AverysPurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
  #210
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapurna View Post
lolwut?
1. jealousy
2. anger (for various reasons, most likely favorite team is no longer relevant this season)
3. America doesn't like us anymore / when will Canada win another Cup?

Or combination of the 3


ps: and don't worry CN, America still likes Canada. We really, really do. You're still our favorite neighbor.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
  #211
snapurna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
ps: and don't worry CN, America still likes Canada. We really, really do. You're still our favorite neighbor.
Viva Mexico.

snapurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
  #212
The Big Giant Head
Registered User
 
The Big Giant Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Slow Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post


You're a funny one!

I know a lot about hockey. I'd say that I know more about the game than 99% of people. I've watched this game excessively for as long as I can remember. I've spent countless hours learning about player development, coaching styles, all the rules, the CBA, etc, etc.

The fact is, New Jersey had a following in the early 2000's and late 1990's, but that has long died out. Phoenix and Los Angeles have two of the lowest followings in the league, and Jersey isn't far behind.

This is BAD for the sport. What hockey needed was the opposite of what happened. A Nashville vs Philadelphia final would have been fantastic. The Predators have grown to have a fairly strong following, especially with most Thrashers fans having moved to the Preds. Philadelphia is one of the most popular teams in the league.

Ideally, though, the BEST finals for the league would be Toronto or Montreal vs Vancouver or Edmonton.

You're an expert so i wont go through the hassle of pulling information up you already "know" but go back and review the attendance numbers for at least Los Angeles and you'll see the LA has had strong attendance since the early 90's thus you never hear talks about LA moving. LA has Strong ownership because their a profitable organization due to a strong loyal fan base.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
  #213
OK Computer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Los Angeles is a nothing team. Nobody outside of Los Angeles gives a damn about them. Honestly? I don't think most people would even notice if they disappeared.

Simple fact. The Kings are one of the most irrelevant franchises in pro sports.
Talking about irrelevancy and nobody outside the area caring about a team while sporting a ****ing Oil Kings avatar... brilliant.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:49 PM
  #214
LordsCup*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Would the Devils even be able to fill up their arena with that matchup?

I mean with no Philly or Ranger fans to help fill 30-50% of the building up they might have a tough time.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
  #215
Kensu
Registered User
 
Kensu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Would the Devils even be able to fill up their arena with that matchup?

I mean with no Philly or Ranger fans to help fill 30-50% of the building up they might have a tough time.
sold out every game in the first and second series.

nice try.

Kensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
  #216
Cruel11
Son, just don't.
 
Cruel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 15,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Los Angeles is a nothing team. Nobody outside of Los Angeles gives a damn about them. Honestly? I don't think most people would even notice if they disappeared.

Simple fact. The Kings are one of the most irrelevant franchises in pro sports.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:06 PM
  #217
donkers*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Los Angeles is a nothing team. Nobody outside of Los Angeles gives a damn about them. Honestly? I don't think most people would even notice if they disappeared.

Simple fact. The Kings are one of the most irrelevant franchises in pro sports.
Please keep talking out of your @$$ some more.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:08 PM
  #218
AverysPurse
Registered User
 
AverysPurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kutztown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AverysPurse
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Would the Devils even be able to fill up their arena with that matchup?

I mean with no Philly or Ranger fans to help fill 30-50% of the building up they might have a tough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysPurse View Post
stupidity in this thread > the ratings on tv no matter who is in the SCF

AverysPurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:11 PM
  #219
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
You're an expert so i wont go through the hassle of pulling information up you already "know" but go back and review the attendance numbers for at least Los Angeles and you'll see the LA has had strong attendance since the early 90's thus you never hear talks about LA moving. LA has Strong ownership because their a profitable organization due to a strong loyal fan base.
He was talking about the interest of the teams outside of where they are hosted. LA is a huge city, the question is if there will be good enough TV ratings inside of LA to cover up for the lack of outside of it.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:21 PM
  #220
rajuabju
Registered User
 
rajuabju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
LA-NJ, LA-NYR would be a great final for both the league and NBC.

Everyone thinking LA has no fan base is just ignorant. LA County has close to TEN MILLION people living here. Combine that with nearby counties of Ventura, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc... the population here is massive. You can add in fans (and haters) from Orange County and San Diego. Even if a small PERCENTAGE of people follow hockey compared to say, Winnipeg or Edmonton or Calgary or Ottawa, the actual number of people is still going to be huge.

The same goes for New Jersey. Huge population # to draw fans from (and root against).

In fact, I'm willing to bet there are more hockey fans in California than in Alberta.

Sad to think so many people simply dont know any better.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:48 PM
  #221
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
He was talking about the interest of the teams outside of where they are hosted. LA is a huge city, the question is if there will be good enough TV ratings inside of LA to cover up for the lack of outside of it.
Thank you. It amazes me that people using a message board can't even read the posts they're replying to.

Obviously LA can fill the building. Tons of wealthy people in one of the most densely populated areas in the world.

Outside of LA? People hear "LA Kings" and just laugh. No interest whatsoever. Again, one of the most irrelevant franchises in all of professional sports. People only know LA as "the team Gretzky played for after he left Edmonton".

As for the guy who said something about my avatar: There's a pretty massive difference between junior hockey and the best hockey league in the world. Junior hockey is certainly very regional. Hell, in Fort Mac, the AJHL is king. In Gwinnett, the ECHL is extremely popular. Most people outside of those areas would have trouble naming a single team in either league.

You can't compare apples and oranges.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:04 PM
  #222
NJD21
Registered User
 
NJD21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
I love reading dumb posts.

Mr. Jealously Jealous is a little angry his team blows and can't even make the playoffs.

NJD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:07 PM
  #223
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
LA-NJ, LA-NYR would be a great final for both the league and NBC.

Everyone thinking LA has no fan base is just ignorant. LA County has close to TEN MILLION people living here. Combine that with nearby counties of Ventura, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc... the population here is massive. You can add in fans (and haters) from Orange County and San Diego. Even if a small PERCENTAGE of people follow hockey compared to say, Winnipeg or Edmonton or Calgary or Ottawa, the actual number of people is still going to be huge.

The same goes for New Jersey. Huge population # to draw fans from (and root against).

In fact, I'm willing to bet there are more hockey fans in California than in Alberta.

Sad to think so many people simply dont know any better.
your point is good.

but why did you decide to capitalize PERCENTAGE? seems out of place, lol.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
  #224
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD21 View Post
I love reading dumb posts.

Mr. Jealously Jealous is a little angry his team blows and can't even make the playoffs.
I love how everyone thinks I'm jealous

I called the Jets missing the playoffs from the very beginning of the year. In fact, I predicted that they'd be even worse than they were.

I also just watched my hometown junior team win the WHL Championship. I have nothing to be jealous about. I love that my favorite team is exciting, even if they do suck. I've supported a team that's been mediocre at best since 1999. You get used to losing, and it stops bothering you after a while.

However, here's a fact:

Memorial Cup > Stanley Cup this year. Can't wait to watch Edmonton, Saint John, London and Shawinigan put on a show.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
  #225
Jossipov
Patty's Better
 
Jossipov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Arlington, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Thank you. It amazes me that people using a message board can't even read the posts they're replying to.

Obviously LA can fill the building. Tons of wealthy people in one of the most densely populated areas in the world.

Outside of LA? People hear "LA Kings" and just laugh. No interest whatsoever. Again, one of the most irrelevant franchises in all of professional sports. People only know LA as "the team Gretzky played for after he left Edmonton".
Ok....but why exactly do you think that people outside the New York area are going to care especially about the Rangers but not the Kings? (or the Yotes or Devils for that matter)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
I know a lot about hockey
Most of your comments suggest otherwise.

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.