HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards hired as Head Coach

Old
05-14-2012, 12:25 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Howson just confirmed they contacted no one.... told guys interested that contacted them that they "Weren't ready to go external yet."
Do we have a link or the rest of the context for this quote?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Do we have a link or the rest of the context for this quote?
It was from the press conference.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:50 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

The problem isn't that Howson hired Richards.
It's that Howson is still in a position to hire anyone.

Obviously this would not be done without consulting ownership, which means ownership will not be firing Howson any time soon.

This is the real story here.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

On the Richards Signing

I think, honestly, that we'll find out how Todd Richards will be as the head coach of our team, once we see how Ryan Johansen progresses next year. The coach's handling of him was questionable at times, and with a team that will be focused on building with youth during his tenure here, the development of players like Johansen will be absolutely necessary for his, and the team's success.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:20 PM
jacketsinDC

glad to see a coach who can succeed with this roster signed for next year. unless roster changes are being made? oh...

I was hoping to see johansen have a breakout year but the best choice now is to trade him. maybe for another few former wild players who can't score even at a 4th liners' pace. i hope mason is in goal next year too.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Good choice. We weren't going to do any better.
How so? Because nobody would want the job or because nobody else was out there? I can see nobody wanting the job because of Priest's version of the Wunderlick test but how does Howson not at least sit down with some of these guys with thousands of games of experience and hear what they have to say? what their opinions are as to the direction they would take the club? maybe howson could have stole some of their ideas or SOMETHING!

Keenan, MacTavish, Wilson, Crawford, Hartley, Maurice all seem like leaps and bounds better than a guy with zero playoff games as a head coach and a lifetime .500 record...and the way he handled Johansen was baffling at best

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I figured this would probably happen.

So, where does that leave Brad Berry and Dan Hinote? Those were Arniel hirings, so will Richards clean house and hire guys he wants? I've got to think there are upgrades available, ie Haviland (if he doesn't get a HC offer).
I hope he cleans them out and brings in SOMEBODY with experience since we have none in the entire organization except Patrick. I wonder what his thoughts are on this...

Old
05-14-2012, 01:27 PM
cbjfaninmo
Jarmo von Raschke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Mike Milbury
Sadly, this organization is in such sad shape, that he would be an improvement.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Kev22

Can't disagree with most of things said here. I love HFBoards, but it has become insufferable lately. It's hard work rooting for a team this bad.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Let the record reflect that, in Minnesota, Todd Richards' Wild teams had 84 and 86 points. Mike Yeo had 81 this past year, and Jacques Lemaire had 89 the year before Richards stepped in.

It's also worth pointing out that the biggest change from Lemaire's last year there to Richards' first year is the departure of Marian Gaborik, and the loss of Pierre-Marc Bouchard for 81 of 82 games. It would seem to me that losing Gaborik and Bouchard would have caused worse than a 5-point drop, and that the Wild doing slightly worse this year than last would seem to indicate that a bigger problem was who was on the ice rather than who was behind the bench.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:35 PM
FlaggerX

We don't know what the Jackets did, but the one thing this franchise has proven itself good at is keeping its mouth shut. I don't mind Richards at all, it offers stability when change is coming, and he won't be a bad coach like Arniel turned out to be. The contract is short, so the team didn't marry him.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
How so? Because nobody would want the job or because nobody else was out there?
Probably more the former.

Quote:
I can see nobody wanting the job because of Priest's version of the Wunderlick test
You people are dwelling on that tidbit way too much.

Quote:
Keenan, MacTavish, Wilson, Crawford, Hartley, Maurice all seem like leaps and bounds better than a guy with zero playoff games as a head coach and a lifetime .500 record...and the way he handled Johansen was baffling at best
I'd rather have Richards then any of the retreads you mentioned, given what next year will likely be.

Any my only response to the Johansen stuff is to ask another question.

Did Ryan Johansen show us anything to suggest that he deserved a bigger role?

I'm not concerned about an anti-youth bias. Atkinson, Moore, and Savard, all of whom played better than Johansen, got decent ice time.

05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

I like it, the players seemed to like him, and our team was horrible and he was almost .500. Time will tell. This is Howson's last chance though.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
This is Howson's last chance though.
With who? You? Howson is like the manager we had where I work. He was rumored to be leaving for years, to no avail. When Howson is gone, I will actually believe that he is in any trouble.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Doug19

My god, I can't believe they went with this idiot. He went almost 500? Whoopie, he also got canned by Minnesota after only two years. I can't believe they are going with this guy, oh actually yes I can, who else would have any desire to work with Howson and Priest..And the joke just continues...

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Roadman
Moving On

I wonder how well he got along with Harding, and if that gives a better or worse chance on signing him via free agency?

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:59 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I can say that I am not excited by this, but the more I think about it I am ok with it. I really don't see anyone out there that is better and I did not want them to go and hire another Arniel.

The Johansen stuff cracks me up. I am a big fan of him and really what him to turn into a 1st line center but that is not going to happen with without a good work ethic that Richards seems to be trying to instill in him. I read on this board all of the time about how our young players are just give jobs without earning it. Well it seems to me that Richards is going to make Johansen earn it.

05-14-2012, 01:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
#CBJ GM Scott Howson heard from 8-10 coaches interested in #CBJ job, but did not hold formal interviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
who else would have any desire to work with Howson and Priest..
Apparently 8-10 other coaches. I'm pretty sure you didn't actually believe what you typed, however.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:00 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
My god, I can't believe they went with this idiot. He went almost 500? Whoopie, he also got canned by Minnesota after only two years. I can't believe they are going with this guy, oh actually yes I can, who else would have any desire to work with Howson and Priest..And the joke just continues...
You think management will let him make ANOTHER decision if this one fails? Richards will get his two years as HC, and if he does well then great, and if not he and Howson will go. Just my .02

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:01 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
Nothing really surprises me anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Commitment to mediocrity
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
No interviews. Wonderful. As to be expected.Heck if Priest and Howson can hold their jobs after what they have done, how could it be expected to be different with the HC. Way to take more drama out of the off season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Sadly, very little that this organization does impresses me anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I don't care who called, I care who Howson called. If the answer is "no one" that's pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Howson just confirmed they contacted no one.... told guys interested that contacted them that they "Weren't ready to go external yet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This does nothing to stoke my enthusiasm for next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post

I think, honestly, that we'll find out how Todd Richards will be as the head coach of our team, once we see how Ryan Johansen progresses next year. The coach's handling of him was questionable at times, and with a team that will be focused on building with youth during his tenure here, the development of players like Johansen will be absolutely necessary for his, and the team's success.
A summary of my feelings. Hopefully the devil we know

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I wonder how well he got along with Harding, and if that gives a better or worse chance on signing him via free agency?
Always got the impression he was a players coach. Probably doesn't hurt our chances with most players. As far as Harding, in general? Good question.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Todd Richards was my private choice of whipping boy going into the year, considering his apparent results at Minnesota, apparent sense of disorganization there, similar symptoms showing up in the early Jackets, and Mike Yeo's seemingly spectacular work with that same roster.

Having seen Arniel's meltdown, though, and having seen the Wild fall apart in epic, historymaking fashion, and how the team played with him and JMFJ basically in charge... I'll give him a second chance. I'm not exactly thrilled, but frankly no coaching hire short of Mike Babcock would have thrilled me, and there were lots of possibilities that would have disgusted me.

Frankly, I think the second year is window dressing anyways.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
It doesn't matter who called. If you have a job opening you conduct interviews. Also, those are only coaches who called Columbus. We could have called our own coaches to see if they wanted to interview. The point isn't who could have been interviewed. It is that we didn't even conduct any interviews.
Exactly, corporations know who's out there and when an opening comes up they place the call to have a sit down interview. It's appalling that the worst team in the league, who have changed coaches yearly practically, wouldn't have a more exhaustive search to find a coach that can be here a decade.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
EDM

I am really looking forward to All Star weekend. At least there will be a few rays of sunshine in Columbus for one weekend this winter. As for the rest of next season, I have already given up.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The reason I like this is that they can start the rebuild now with a coach who knows the team, knows the players strengths & weaknesses and can make moves based on that, rather than waiting until mid-summer and having to start from scratch with a new coach.

The players know what Richards is expecting from them in training camp. They better be ready.

Richards isn't the greatest coach, but he can get the job done. Now Howson needs to get him the players he needs.
"he can get the job done" ???? he's never made the playoffs...what gives you the impression he can "get the job done?"