HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dale Hunter Stepping Down Today

Old
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
Would any of you trade a first-round pick for a coach currently coaching elsewhere? If so, who?
There are people here that would trade 5 1st round picks to Anaheim for their staff, but would never give up a single pick for a 2C.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
nki

Quote:
I guess you can't argue with success, but Lombardi is a tool. Made public disparaging comments about jack johnson 2 years ago when johnson was still central to team's plans, and was rude and arrogant with kovalchuk when he visited for interview. I wouldnt take a page from lombardi regarding anything. And yes, yes, i know his team is marching to cup finals. Still.
He didn't make any disparaging comments about Johnson but Michigan's development program, and he never wanted Kovalchuk to begin with, that was forced on him by ownership. Though it is his weakness that he doesn't always know when to keep his mouth shut. Ironically I think you guys need a coach in the vein of Darryl Sutter and building a team and your salary cap around a winger, no matter how good he is, is always a futile exercise in my eyes.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
There are people here that would trade 5 1st round picks to Anaheim for their staff, but would never give up a single pick for a 2C.
What? Like who?

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
butters8814

Ovi will have a big year next year, if they get a attacking coach. This team's style is attacking, not playing prevent D.

butters8814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
He didn't make any disparaging comments about Johnson but Michigan's development program, and he never wanted Kovalchuk to begin with, that was forced on him by ownership. Though it is his weakness that he doesn't always know when to keep his mouth shut. Ironically I think you guys need a coach in the vein of Darryl Sutter and building a team and your salary cap around a winger, no matter how good he is, is always a mistake in my eyes.
I'm curious to hear your solution to this.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Dallas Eakins - long time fans recognize him as a capitals draft pick. If he traps up in TO, George probably won't want him. We prefer no experience at what they will do, thank you.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halpysback

Quote:
He didn't make any disparaging comments about Johnson but Michigan's development program, and he never wanted Kovalchuk to begin with, that was forced on him by ownership. Though it is his weakness that he doesn't always know when to keep his mouth shut. Ironically I think you guys need a coach in the vein of Darryl Sutter and building a team and your salary cap around a winger, no matter how good he is, is always a futile exercise in my eyes.
Yeah, the Devils and Coyotes certainly are regretting building around wingers right now.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

What if GMGM takes the coaching role? I mean he clearly knows the game, he's in it. So why not GMGM?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:38 PM
tycoonheart

Tarik El-Bashir
At end of the players' meeting with Hunter, Brooks Laich said Hunter told them, "It's in your hands now." #Caps

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Yeah, I don't think it's a situation that needs solving. There's plenty of cap space to build around that player. Whether management is bold enough to do it properly is another discussion entirely.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Do what the Penguins did.

1. Get a Top 5 pick for like 6 years by claiming your team is in trouble.
2. Get an owner who is in bed with the league.
3. Draft a Center, every time.
4. Profit.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Tarik El-Bashir
At end of the players' meeting with Hunter, Brooks Laich said Hunter told them, "It's in your hands now." #Caps
The more that comes out, the more I'm led to believe the job was always temporary from Hunter's perspective.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Tarik El-Bashir
The blood?

Old
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
ForzaItalia

Here is some info on Dallas Eakins:

Quote:
As for what he brings to the table, Eakins makes no bones about the style of hockey he coaches.

"I am a defence-first coach," Eakins explained. "I want the players to contest the puck when we don't have it in all zones. For me, the second best way to defend is to have the puck and be a real strong cycle team. When we don't have the puck we are at full speed trying to get it back. And when we do get it back, we're not looking to kill you off the rush; we're looking to get the puck down deep and wear you down by hanging on to the puck looking for our scoring chances that way.

"I know one thing about hockey; if we have the puck on our stick in your zone, you are not going to score on our net. Our guys have bought into that here. Our back pressure, especially from our forwards when we don't have the puck, is as good as I've seen in this league."

Eakins said it really hasn't been a hard sell to get his players to buy into his approach.

"We don't just look for that first scoring chance and be a one-and-done team," he said. "We want multiple chances off cycles. Our guys hold on and fight for the puck. You have to explain to your players that because we are asking you to play so hard defensively and to contest the puck immediately in every zone, we're not looking to take offence away from you. We're trying to get the puck back so you can have fun. The offensive part of hockey is the fun side of the game. It's fun and it's hard."
Plus he has a hot wife:

Link

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I was hell-bent on NHL experience last time, but at this point, after watching the improvements in Muller's and Dineen's teams, I just want a good coach.

If Eakins is that guy, I'd be fine with it.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The more that comes out, the more I'm led to believe the job was always temporary from Hunter's perspective.
agreed.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
I was hell-bent on NHL experience last time, but at this point, after watching the improvements in Muller's and Dineen's teams, I just want a good coach.

If Eakins is that guy, I'd be fine with it.
meh. Caps improved under Boudreau and in some ways even under Hunter. It's the next level that I want, and I still think that means NHL experience AND prior success.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Maybe the hard work sticks. The team was committed to team play and overcame some adversity. If that stays he was a godsend

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Here's the comments on Johnson. You be the judge whether they were disparaging. Johnson certainly thought so. But more importantly, what on earth was the point of making ANY of those comments, about Johnson or Berenson or anyone? They did nothing except alienate two important hockey people. Was it really so important to give Gann Matsuda an in-depth interview for his blog?

"This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan],” Lombardi said. “Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.”

During his two seasons at the University of Michigan, Johnson played as a rover, rather than as a defenseman, even though that was his official position.

“Jack was a thoroughbred out there,” Lombardi explained. “But he was all over the place. He was awful as a hockey player. As an athlete, you’re going, wow! Look at the way he skates, shoots, he can pass. But he had no idea where he was going.”

“At times, he was playing forward at Michigan,” Lombardi elaborated. “You had no idea what position he was playing. But he had always been the star and he always got his numbers. Then he turns pro and for the first time, we’re telling him ‘whoa, just make the first pass and learn to play in your own end.’ How about making a read in your own end about the right guy to pick up? He was awful.”

As to meeting with Kovalchuk, even if the idea was foisted on him by ownership, you can still be civil and respectful. Lombardi put his feet up on his desk right in Ilya's face and started pointing out errors he thought Kovalchuk had made in recent games.

It's like all the NYR fans saying, 'Well of course Torts is rude and dismissive with the media. They are asking stupid questions.' So what? You can still be professional. Just because you believe you are smarter than everyone else doesn't entitle you to be a **** about it.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
this!..as a favor to the club.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Capitlols

Wow if that's Eakins' wife, cross him off the list. OV would be all over that.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Here's the comments on Johnson. You be the judge whether they were disparaging. Johnson certainly thought so. But more importantly, what on earth was the point of making ANY of those comments, about Johnson or Berenson or anyone?

"This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan],” Lombardi said. “Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.”

During his two seasons at the University of Michigan, Johnson played as a rover, rather than as a defenseman, even though that was his official position.

“Jack was a thoroughbred out there,” Lombardi explained. “But he was all over the place. He was awful as a hockey player. As an athlete, you’re going, wow! Look at the way he skates, shoots, he can pass. But he had no idea where he was going.”

“At times, he was playing forward at Michigan,” Lombardi elaborated. “You had no idea what position he was playing. But he had always been the star and he always got his numbers. Then he turns pro and for the first time, we’re telling him ‘whoa, just make the first pass and learn to play in your own end.’ How about making a read in your own end about the right guy to pick up? He was awful.”

As to meeting with Kovalchuk, even if the idea was foisted on him by ownership, you can still be civil and respectful. Lombardi put his feet up on his desk right in Ilya's face and started pointing out errors he thought Kovalchuk had made in recent games.

It's like all the NYR fans saying, 'Well of course Torts is rude and dismissive with the media. They are asking stupid questions.' So what? You can still be professional. Just because you believe you are smarter than everyone else doesn't entitle you to be a **** about it.
He also trolled Frolov and Voynov a ton if I recall. All around jackass.

Wonder what the opinion of Torts is if we won this coin flip.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post

Plus he has a hot wife:

Link
Like what I read, but will you like like what you'll hear in every game from Joe B. Cody Eakins, no relation . . ..

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:02 PM
nki

Quote:
Here's the comments on Johnson. You be the judge whether they were disparaging. Johnson certainly thought so. But more importantly, what on earth was the point of making ANY of those comments, about Johnson or Berenson or anyone? They did nothing except alienate two important hockey people. Was it really so important to give Gann Matsuda an in-depth interview for his blog?

My bad, for some reason it stuck in my memory that he really went off about their program not Jack, but he did say some harsh words there about him as well, even though let's face it they were true if unnecessary. As far as Kovalchuk goes frankly I don't know what was said, I remember reading that Kovalchuk was disappointed by LA's management but don't remember much more than that. Like I said he doesn't always know when to keep his mouth shut, but i think he's a very good GM and if that's his weakness I don't really give a flying ****.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post

Plus he has a hot wife:

Link
/Hired