HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Old
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
What makes him special is he's 6'4" but he's naturally lanky. No defenseman in the NHL has the combination of size, speed and pure athleticism of Staal. He'll either out-muscle you our out-smart you.

Obviously Chara and Pronger are/were more physically dominant because they are behemoths, but I don't think either of them has as many defensive weapons as Staal. If he scored he'd get more recognition.
Appreciate Staal's total package... He's the closest comparison we have to Larry Robinson from the 1970's Canadiens dynasty in this generation. Be grateful Rangers fans, that Glen Sather drafted an elite defensive defenseman with the #12 overall pick at the 2005 Entry Draft.

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 05-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
Appreciate Staal's total package... He's the closest comparison to Larry Robinson from the 1970's Canadiens dynasty in this generation. Be grateful Rangers fans, that Glen Sather drafted an elite defensive defenseman at the 2005 Entry Draft.
I'm reading the book "The Game" by Ken Dryden and it mentioned Larry Robinson. I looked him up and thought of Staal. But Robinson was bigger, though they're the same height and far better offensively.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
...wait, what is this? Has Marc Staal finally impressed drew?!
You bet your sweet bippy he has! He was tremendous saturday nite and the way I see it, his late start to the season due to PCS has actually turned into a blessing because he is playing on fresh legs while Girardi and McD look a little worn out.
Anyway, who cares as long as Marc continues his tremendous play for another couple of rounds. I was really impressed with MDZ as well on saturday nite. Boy, I just love being wrong!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You bet your sweet bippy he has! He was tremendous saturday nite and the way I see it, his late start to the season due to PCS has actually turned into a blessing because he is playing on fresh legs while Girardi and McD look a little worn out.
Anyway, who cares as long as Marc continues his tremendous play for another couple of rounds. I was really impressed with MDZ as well on saturday nite. Boy, I just love being wrong!
My friend, this is just about happy as I get to be while saying "Told you so".

Everyone else who remembers the Staal wars, though...

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:55 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Never thought i'd see the day.

Now we just need to get you sold on MDZ and I won't have to argue with you ever!

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Staal+Boards--

Something that I noticed lately is that Staal is VERY careful in finishing his checks against the boards. So careful that it lead to a turnover last night and a scoring opportunity for the Devils. I can understand it fully; however, that's def something I'm curious if other people notice or just me thinking too much? Pay attention next game and see if you notice it. Extremely cautious. Much respect for it, but not when it leads to a scoring chance.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm reading the book "The Game" by Ken Dryden and it mentioned Larry Robinson. I looked him up and thought of Staal. But Robinson was bigger, though they're the same height and far better offensively.
Now, imagine Staal finishing checks like Robinson did to the Flyers' Gary Dornhoefer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKd4HJNSbQg).

If Staal laying out Matt Stajan in open ice was the tip of the iceberg, imagine what it will be like when he has a full training camp and returns to top form...

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That was a joke. I recall many "Trade Staal" threads. Need to give up our assets to get more snipers.

The classic Taylor Hall "how to acquire" math threads...

Last edited by TKG: 05-15-2012 at 12:15 PM.
TKG is offline   Reply With Quote