HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will LA break the Oilers Record?

Old
05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsRule2012 View Post
This happens all the time. A #7 or 8 seed that plays like gangbusters and ends up losing in the Final. See the '02 Canes, '03 Ducks, the '04 Flames, the '06 Oilers.

And this year that role is being played by the LA Kings.

The Kings will win the Cup within the next few years. But right now they're a young #8 seed and have dealt with zero adversity.

Can't the Kings play help minimize the upcoming adversity?

We'll just have to wait and see, but all I know is that it sure is exciting to watch.

And when is the last time a 7 or 8 went 6-0 on the road to begin the POs? Right, this is only the 5th time in NHL history that this has happened. This #8 run feels very different.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:33 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
An 8 seed is an 8 seed is an 8 seed. Check the history... teams that squeak into the playoffs don't win the whole thing.

The Kings will get their Cup. But they're going to have to go through some serious heartbreak first. That's the way it works.
As a Leaf fan you must just love seeing other teams heartbroken. LA has players on their team that have been one game from the Cup, they have players who have been bounced early, they have players who have been bounced late, and they have players who have won the Cup. All of your, "the team must suffer first" mumbo jumbo is bull ****. It's really a lame cliche.

Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Jarret Stoll and Rob Scuderi have all lost in the SCF. Scuderi and Penner have won it. Mitchell has been to the WCF and lost. Most of the Kings players have suffered through playoff heartbreak already. As a team, they are more prepared for this than anyone else left.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
canadianmagpie

I highly doubt they would be able to break the record.

However, I think it's rather interesting that L.A beat the #1 and #2 seeds and is facing #3. While NYR faced the #8 and #7 seeds and is currently facing the #6. Complete mirror-image of the two conferences, wonder if that's ever happened before?

canadianmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cobra427

Quote:
An 8 seed is an 8 seed is an 8 seed. Check the history... teams that squeak into the playoffs don't win the whole thing.

The Kings will get their Cup. But they're going to have to go through some serious heartbreak first. That's the way it works.
I agree with that, they were an 8 seed for a reason. They did totally outplay the coyotes last night, but it is one game and they were tied in the third period and won by only a goal, sans the empty netter. To so dominate and barely win, not sold on them in this series....

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
leafs are great*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
If anything, their heartbreak was not winning with ~10 seasons with Gretzky...

I do think the Kings will win the Cup, seeing how they've manhandled two of the favorites, and how great they've looked since the deadline, they're the favorites, I think. They've dominated, but they won't break the record.
The Devils lost a heartbreaker to the Rangers in '94 before they got their Cup.

The Red Wings lost to the Devils in '95 before they got their Cup.

The Ducks lost to the Devils in the Final before they got theirs.... the Canes lost to Detroit.... the Pens lost to Detroit... it goes on and on.

The only reason I say LA won't win it is because history says they won't. As an #8 seed and a team on an incredible high, they're doomed. Sounds crazy but it's true.

leafs are great* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
The Devils lost a heartbreaker to the Rangers in '94 before they got their Cup.

The Red Wings lost to the Devils in '95 before they got their Cup.

The Ducks lost to the Devils in the Final before they got theirs.... the Canes lost to Detroit.... the Pens lost to Detroit... it goes on and on.

The only reason I say LA won't win it is because history says they won't. As an #8 seed and a team on an incredible high, they're doomed. Sounds crazy but it's true.
as someone already said, a majority of the roster has already dealt with heartbreak

Carter, Richards, Gagne, Greene, Stoll and Sutter (doesnt really count but still) have all lost in the finals. Mitchell has lost in the conf finals. Penner, Fraser, Scuderi and Williams have won the cup. Brown, Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Martinez, Richardson, Lewis, Clifford have all lost playoff series

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmagpie View Post

However, I think it's rather interesting that L.A beat the #1 and #2 seeds and is facing #3. While NYR faced the #8 and #7 seeds and is currently facing the #6. Complete mirror-image of the two conferences, wonder if that's ever happened before?
That is pretty interesting. Also the Kings have essentially steamrolled both teams while the Ranger struggled with both. These Conference Finals will be interesting.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDevil View Post
I don't think the Kings can beat the Devils or the Rangers. I love how everyone is on the Kings bandwagon. It's good to lose a few games in the playoffs. They will get crushed in the Finals if they make it.
That's okay. Keep underestimating the Kings.

I do, however, would like an explanation on how you came up with this. Go line by line, defense to defense & goalie to goalie. I would love to hear this.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Seth Rollins
Sierra, Hotel, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Can we put an end to these ridiculous jinx threads already?
Why are there so many people around here that believe in jinx threads? Believe it or not, the outcome of the remainder of the playoffs is NOT reliant on what someone posts on a message board.

Seth Rollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
Believe it or not, the outcome of the remainder of the playoffs is NOT reliant on what someone posts on a message board.
What???? YOU LIE!!!!!!!!

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Maybe if your definition of "entertaining" is the two most boring teams in the NHL...
Man, I really feel bad for you if you're too closed minded to accept the fact that the Kings don't fit your idea of them. Anyone watching them right now can see they're anything but the boring heap of **** they were when Murray was behind the bench.

I just don't get it. Are you simply not watching, or are you just so stubborn your eyes won't let you see what's actually happening?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Why are there so many people around here that believe in jinx threads? Believe it or not, the outcome of the remainder of the playoffs is NOT reliant on what someone posts on a message board.
But what if it was?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Can we put an end to these ridiculous jinx threads already?
Yeah, now that I had my Tarot card reading, I can say without a doubt that the Kings will win the Cup. It was only confirmed by my readers look into the Crystal Ball. The Crystal Ball never lies.

Quote:
They aren't if you do your homework first. Luckily, I know a witch doctor and she is friends with Miss Cleo. All of those are equally as believable as jinxes. At any rate, see my post above to see what my sources have told me. The Kings are in good shape!

Nothing more humorous than adults getting worked up over a jinx. BTW, I apparently either jinxed the Kings or forecasted the future when I said the Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup this year. I'm pretty sure I posted it about 5 times this year. I also posted it every other season. I guess I was the reason the Kings didn't win it.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
fsanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I agree with that, they were an 8 seed for a reason. They did totally outplay the coyotes last night, but it is one game and they were tied in the third period and won by only a goal, sans the empty netter. To so dominate and barely win, not sold on them in this series....
Quick also gave up a bad goal.
More like a 3-1 game, in hockey, allowing only 1 goal, and spending all at that time in the opponents offensive zone, is pretty much an butt kicking.. And no the Kings will not break the record.

Last edited by fsanford: 05-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.
fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
I know we only got 3 pass Smith but we won 4-2 so we won by 2 goals

O yeah empty betters don't count as goals my bad

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

No, the Rangers will win at least a game thanks to luck and refs and Lundqvist of course

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmagpie View Post

I think this happened only 2 seasons ago.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:31 PM
serenity now

I have waited my whole life (I turn 50 next year!) for them to win the damn thing, I don't care if it takes them 13 more games to do it or if it only takes 7. Just do it already! Not interested in any records. Just a friggin parade and a banner that doesn't say "1980-81 Smythe Division Champions"

serenity now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
Man, I really feel bad for you if you're too closed minded to accept the fact that the Kings don't fit your idea of them. Anyone watching them right now can see they're anything but the boring heap of **** they were when Murray was behind the bench.

I just don't get it. Are you simply not watching, or are you just so stubborn your eyes won't let you see what's actually happening?
I watched the first round series with Vancouver (and yes, I also watched some games towards the end of the season, just to judge who my picks should be). It was an absolute snooze fest. Vancouver is one of the five most exciting teams in the NHL. The fault is on LA. Easily the most boring team in hockey.

A Cinderella story does NOT make a team exciting. They're dreadful.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevscup30 View Post
I think this happened only 2 seasons ago.
Flyers were 7 seed

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
Quick also gave up a bad goal.
More like a 3-1 game, in hockey, allowing only 1 goal, and spending all at that time in the opponents offensive zone, is pretty much an butt kicking.. And no the Kings will not break the record.
Brown's third period goal went under Smiths arm, soft also, not as soft as Quick's though, so 2-1, still close considering the way the kings played...

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
I watched the first round series with Vancouver. It was an absolute snooze fest. Vancouver is one of the five most exciting teams in the NHL. The fault is on LA. Easily the most boring team in hockey.

It makes absolutely no sense that you would call the Kings the most boring team in hockey even though you were on the Blues bandwagon. At least be consistent. What makes the Kings more boring than a team like the Blues?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
TheSlovenian

Quote:
I watched the first round series with Vancouver (and yes, I also watched some games towards the end of the season, just to judge who my picks should be). It was an absolute snooze fest. Vancouver is one of the five most exciting teams in the NHL. The fault is on LA. Easily the most boring team in hockey.

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Martyros

Quote:
It sucks to lose, yes, but at least the Jets are fun to watch. I'd rather be a fan of an exciting team that loses than a team that wins, but is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
Every Kings fan will say the Kings are exciting to watch right now, I don't know where you're going with this.

I liked both New Jersey's series, didn't think New York was as exciting to watch as the other 3 teams left in the Playoffs.

Maybe it's me, but I'm more excited watching my team continue to win.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
It makes absolutely no sense that you would call the Kings the most boring team in hockey even though you were on the Blues bandwagon. At least be consistent. What makes the Kings more boring than a team like the Blues?
The most exciting game of the year for the Jets was the game against the Blues. It was an incredibly well-played game. Blues fans are also some of the classiest fans in the NHL. I like a lot of their players. I didn't base my playoff support off my favorite team to watch (Which is what I did last year with Vancouver and Montreal). I based it off who I felt deserved it the most, and that was St Louis.

For the record, Hitchcock hockey is a million times more exciting than "watching paint dry" LA Kings hockey.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote