HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards hired as Head Coach

Old
05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
cbjfaninmo
Jarmo von Raschke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Howson and Priest AND RICHARDS...And the joke just continues...
Helped that just a tad....

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Probably more the former.

You people are dwelling on that tidbit way too much.

I'd rather have Richards then any of the retreads you mentioned, given what next year will likely be.

Any my only response to the Johansen stuff is to ask another question.

Did Ryan Johansen show us anything to suggest that he deserved a bigger role?

I'm not concerned about an anti-youth bias. Atkinson, Moore, and Savard, all of whom played better than Johansen, got decent ice time.
It was a wasted season and Ry Jo should have been playing his expected and natural position to learn and also show what he can do, he didn't have bad numbers for a rookie being jerked around nonstop...

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 205
I imagine the 8-10 coaches who called the Jackets to express interest lost interest in the job when they were told that they had to answer the "tree question" from Priest

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
All I can do is lmao. At least I know ahead of time we'll be picking top 5 again, so I won't be surprised this time.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 19000
Seemingly Richards has the support of JJ7, Umby18 & VP22. I'll respect their endorsements over the gloom and doom crowd.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Seemingly Richards has the support of JJ7, Umby18 & VP22. I'll respect their endorsements over the gloom and doom crowd.
Imagine that, the leadership group doing what a leadership group should do.

I don't have a major issue with Richards coming back, like some others. I'm just confused at the process that got us to this point. Beyond that, I don't really care what those three said. I didn't expect any different. They will go into next season behind Richards. That's no surprise.

We also had the leadership group tell Dougie to stick with the group going into our second year. The player don't always know what is good for them or the team.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Yeah, I remember players putting a smiley face on the Carter trade after he pouted and had to be consoled in Philly and we know how that turned out.

I don't give a crap about what anyone in the organization has to say about anything. I care about what they do to improve this team. Going status quo on the coach isn't improving, so the improvement is going to have to come elsewhere.

As it stands, we know that improvement isn't coming from better management or better coaching. Which means all improvement is going to have to come from (1) better players and/or (2) coaches getting better performances out of the same players.

At this point, there is zero reason to expect this team to be better than it was this past season. So, we'll see what happens at the draft and on July 1 to change that.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I am really looking forward to All Star weekend. At least there will be a few rays of sunshine in Columbus for one weekend this winter. As for the rest of next season, I have already given up.
Be careful or Robert will lump you with the Carter/Foote crowd with sentiments like that!

No deserters here man!

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Imagine that, the leadership group doing what a leadership group should do.

I don't have a major issue with Richards coming back, like some others. I'm just confused at the process that got us to this point. Beyond that, I don't really care what those three said. I didn't expect any different. They will go into next season behind Richards. That's no surprise.

We also had the leadership group tell Dougie to stick with the group going into our second year. The player don't always know what is good for them or the team.
True, but Prospal is also the same guy who blasted Arniel for running slow and disjointed practices, and that was with Arniel still in charge. I'd have to imagine that, in this case, there was some type of endorsement behind the scenes from multiple players.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
True, but Prospal is also the same guy who blasted Arniel for running slow and disjointed practices, and that was with Arniel still in charge. I'd have to imagine that, in this case, there was some type of endorsement behind the scenes from multiple players.
Maybe, although I don't think Prospal ever went on record with that.

At any rate, my point still stands. Who cares if the leadership group is behind him? Doesn't mean he's going to be a good HC. Not saying he is or isn't. But is it that surprising that a known players coach is liked by his players? At least some of them.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
aRussian

So much for expecting a coaching search...
Instead we choose to pick from within a losing and failing organization by a guy who would've gotten the boot in any other market...

The GOOD news is that I can plan my budget a couple more months ahead because I know exactly how much I will be spending on the Jackets this year

aRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Maybe, although I don't think Prospal ever went on record with that.

At any rate, my point still stands. Who cares if the leadership group is behind him? Doesn't mean he's going to be a good HC. Not saying he is or isn't. But is it that surprising that a known players coach is liked by his players? At least some of them.
In the next couple days, I should have the finishing touches on my study of NHL coaches. Last night, I started looking for patterns on whether a team is better or worse by retaining an interim coach on a permanent basis, sorted by whether the interim tenure actually exceeded expectations or if it just exceeded what the deposed head coach managed.

And with the news today, I think that seeing whether there's a track record of success or not with that is worthwhile.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Be careful or Robert will lump you with the Carter/Foote crowd with sentiments like that!

No deserters here man!
You're a piece of work Derby... I know Edmond, have for years.. Read what he says and you may learn something. He hasn't given up, you will know when he has because he won't be posting.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
In the next couple days, I should have the finishing touches on my study of NHL coaches. Last night, I started looking for patterns on whether a team is better or worse by retaining an interim coach on a permanent basis, sorted by whether the interim tenure actually exceeded expectations or if it just exceeded what the deposed head coach managed.

And with the news today, I think that seeing whether there's a track record of success or not with that is worthwhile.
So, if maintaining Richards after his performance is the right move, was it the wrong move for Howson to pass over Noel who had 0.542 winning percentage during his stint as interim head coach?

There were indications players also liked Claude. So, what makes the situations different?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
So, if maintaining Richards after his performance is the right move, was it the wrong move for Howson to pass over Noel who had 0.542 winning percentage during his stint as interim head coach?

There were indications players also liked Claude. So, what makes the situations different?
I haven't said that anything is the right or wrong move, simply that I'm not running for the hills. There's also a difference between a 24-game sample led by someone who had no NHL head coaching experience, and a 41-game sample led by someone who did (and was well-regarded when he was initially hired).

Obviously, there are always questions with an interim replacement. Is the new guy doing better because he's a better coach, does he simply appear better because there were players coming back from injuries, did the old coach appear inept because of injuries or a random slump, was the old coach wound too tight (or too loose) and the new guy being the opposite gave everyone a charge....you get the idea.

All I know is what I saw. The team looked substantially better during the second half of the season despite injuries galore (especially on the blueline), despite having the Jeff Carter situation for about seven weeks of that, despite having the Nash trade talks swirling, despite having no stability and no idea if he was going to be shown the door as soon as the season ended. The difference between Richards and Arniel was striking; the fact that Umberger and Brassard looked worlds better than they had, the fact that Mason put together a few good games, the fact that multiple players went through hot streaks instead of the chronic slump that the Arniel tenure seemed to be plagued with. The compete level was night and day, the ability to gain and then maintain a lead, which had been non-existent...I can keep going.

Obviously, the question is whether the comparison is between Richards and Arniel, or between Richards and the unknown. That's why I'd have to put some stock into what players said behind the scenes; Prospal has played for good coaches who have had success, Umberger has, Wisniewski has, and so on. It's not as simple as "country club, no one knows".

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 05-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Richards might not be the worst coach Howson could have hired; he did do well with a depleted CBJ roster. I'm concerned about his .500 record with the Wild after two seasons (although he did lose a few solid players) and the validity of the late season success under his tenure with no pressure on the team if they lost.. He will get one season to show his stuff, as I said we should have a good idea how good he really is by early next year.

The players Howson picks up over the summer will have an impact as well…

Last edited by Robert: 05-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Richards might not be the worst coach Howson could have hired; he did do well with a depleted CBJ roster.
We won't know Robert, because Howson was too lazy to look for another coach. It was already the worst organization in pro sports, so I can't say that's changed.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:

But he's a "learning" GM. Maybe he realized he made the wrong move last time and doing it differently this time? (forced optimism)

Regarding the player endorsements, after 11 years of mea culpas and broken promises, words no longer matter. Only wins matter.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Steamed Hams

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

That was a colossal mistake. One that doesn't get enough billing around here.

Give Howson this much credit: he at least is going into the season with a player's coach instead of a Hitchcock-style hardass.

05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
cbjfaninmo
Jarmo von Raschke

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Only wins matter.
Not if you're in Columbus. Losing is acceptable. I am continually amazed at the mismanagement of this team. To have Larry, Moe and Curly still around in May is unbelieveable....

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
651*

Richards is a good coach. I was upset the Wild let him go as quick as they did. As a MN guy I wish him, and you, the best regards.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
That was a colossal mistake. One that doesn't get enough billing around here.

Give Howson this much credit: he at least is going into the season with a player's coach instead of a Hitchcock-style hardass.
Virtually none, I was not in the "keep Noel" crowd but after a few months watching the Jets I did get a little uneasy.. Noel did a great job with that team, he came close to making the playoffs and would have had their road record been a little better.. I did like his player of the game helmet idea; the idea caught on and was used by at least one team I know of other than the Jets.

Richards is a player coach, as was Noel. I'm not excited with the process used to select our 6th head coach nor the selection but it is what it is. In the end the roster Howson puts together might be the most significant factor impacting the Blue Jackets next season.

Last edited by Robert: 05-14-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 06:00 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
"he can get the job done" ???? he's never made the playoffs...what gives you the impression he can "get the job done?"
How well the team played at the end of the season. Granted, it wasn't a playoff run, but he did okay under the circumstances, righted the boat and was headed in the right direction.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You're a piece of work Derby... I know Edmond, have for years.. Read what he says and you may learn something. He hasn't given up, you will know when he has because he won't be posting.
Settle Robert, I just pointed out you have a rather fluid definition of a quitter.

Evidently it's OK for some folks to petition and assemble and don the honorable lime green "For A New Start". Make's them a hero, right? But Nash quietly and professionally requesting the same thing "a new start" after giving his entire career to this town and team surprises you? Ever think that his request and your little protest group are fighting the same war?

Carter seems "like a good guy" to you? I guess if you like pouty and unprofessional behavior. Nash is and always has been a class act. I mostly take issue with your defending Carter and villainizing Nash. Not even close to parallel situations.

And when I responded to EDM saying he's "finished with this team"... I was having a little fun. His words, not mine.

Thas all.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Settle Robert, I just pointed out you have a rather fluid definition of a quitter.

Evidently it's OK for some folks to petition and assemble and don the honorable lime green "For A New Start". Make's them a hero, right? But Nash quietly and professionally requesting the same thing "a new start" after giving his entire career to this town and team surprises you? Ever think that his request and your little protest group are fighting the same war?

Carter seems "like a good guy" to you? I guess if you like pouty and unprofessional behavior. Nash is and always has been a class act. I mostly take issue with your defending Carter and villainizing Nash. Not even close to parallel situations.

And when I responded to EDM saying he's "finished with this team"... I was having a little fun. His words, not mine.

Thas all.
Edmond's out look and I have nothing relevant, there was no useful reason to drag me into Edmonds issue with giving up... nor is this line of debate, put away the flame thrower.

Last edited by Robert: 05-14-2012 at 06:18 PM.