HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who do Islander, Flyer and Penguins fans want to see win the ECF?

View Poll Results: Who do Islander, Flyer and Penguin fans want to see win the ECF?
New Jersey Devils 160 70.80%
New York Rangers 66 29.20%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Ranger fans still don't quite get why Devils & Islanders fans hate them. It's not at all close to jealousy or feeling irrelvant.

It's like having an obnoxious older brother who still lives at home in mom's basement, yet bangs down your door to tell you how much better he is because he's older and has more facebook friends.

Then when he finally finds a job that requires a tie instead of a drive-thru headset, he cries and whines that you don't respect his accomplishments enough. And that he totally has more twitter followers than you now.

It's this day in and day out that drives us mad - and it's not the entire fanbase obviously, but there are enough of you that it becomes a goddamned epidemic of obnoxiousness.
I see it another way.

Devils and Islanders fans are both little brothers. They punch big brother once in the face and proceed to get all cocky about it. In reality, they know that big brother will get up and beat little brother's ass. So they set up an allegiance of hatred against big brother.

Just my opinion.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Islanderfan17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I see it another way.

Devils and Islanders fans are both little brothers. They punch big brother once in the face and proceed to get all cocky about it. In reality, they know that big brother will get up and beat little brother's ass. So they set up an allegiance of hatred against big brother.

Just my opinion.
I'd say both views are pretty valid, all depends what side of the fence you are on.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
I see it another way.

Just my opinion.

Funny, was thinking pretty much same exact thing in response. Well said my brother.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I'd say both views are pretty valid, all depends what side of the fence you are on.
I understand the hate, I would hate the Islanders if we swapped positions. It's all part of sports really.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

Quote:
I see it another way.

Just my opinion.

Not for nothing, but what amazing accomplishments has "big brother" had that gives them this sense of superiority? Since the last time the Rangers held the cup, the Devils won it 3 times. Their records over the last 15 years doesnt exactly make the Rangers some amazing superior franchise, if anything they have been second fiddle on the ice for a long time, regardless of being first in their heads.

Even the melodrama...."Legion of Hatred"....lol

Last edited by Jossipov: 05-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Jimmy LeRieux
Hated By 29 Fanbases

Devils, just because you can't pinpoint a single city,,,like fhilthadelphia to hate. I like the rangers work ethic, just hate their coach. He is the kind of guy that farts in an elevator and ask "who farted". He is the typical arogant arse poor loser who can't make time for the press and always has an excuse ready. Funny the rangers fanbase would post his bloted ego head on the teams playoff avatar.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
eco's bones

As a Rangers fan I'm just happy my team is still around for so many people to keep hating--which is okay because I feel pretty much the same about other teams in my division--although I've let up on the hatred of the Islanders in the last few years.

Don't know if I consider us to be an arrogant fan base--I think there is enough of that to go around with just about any team--at least ones that year in year out have semi-successful/successful teams. It's been a long time since we've got this far--a long time--so I'm doing my best to take it in stride. I will say this--I'm a Rangers fan before I'm a hockey fan. When and if they're done--I'll be done--then it's time to think about the draft.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:05 PM
BCdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Very few non-Rangers fans want The Rangers to win.

OK, that's my opinion without looking at the poll or reading any of the thread.

Now I'll look:

OK, 73% devils to 23% Rangers. That looks like a landslide.

Just imagine if the Rangers had a history of winning like the Devils....talk about an evil empire!
Walked into that one....

Old
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
lost35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdevil View Post
This post is the reason why Isles/Devils fans dislike Rangers fans so much. The Islanders are a proud franchise with a ton of history and a lot of great fans who have been driven away from the NVMC for various reasons. Instead of celebrating the Rangers recent success, you're trying to kick the Isles when they're down.
haha I am an Islander fan

I just know reality and am not ashamed to speak badly about my team

the Isles are in a horrible position now, they are basically the laughingstock of the league

Rangers winning the cup will make being an Isles fan even more embarrassing, and any young prospective hockey fan on Long Island would care less about the Islanders and instead jump on the Ranger bandwagon

Old
StandingCow

Devils... lesser of two evils. Ironically.

Old
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
Obviously I'm not an impartial party, but I have never seen a fanbase on these boards ***** and moan as much as the Rangers. They were in first place in the league, and the amount of whining going on over there was amazing!

Every loss: The Refs. The post.
Every Win: Overcame the Refs.

Granted there is a huge following over there, so proportionately the amount of valid posts vs. complaining is probably the same as any other board. Don't get me wrong, they do have a solid group of knowledgeable hockey fans. They also seem to have a lot of wah-babies.
Unfortunately, that was the story for the Rangers this year. Just because Ranger fans were overly vocal about it doesn't mean all of us are trying to play the "woe is us, we never get the calls!" card, just means we were getting screwed left and right all season much, MUCH more than usual and having much, MUCH more nonsensical things called against us.

Either way, hate on the Rangers all you guys want. No skin off our backs.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post

the Isles are in a horrible position now, they are basically the laughingstock of the league

Rangers winning the cup will make being an Isles fan even more embarrassing, and any young prospective hockey fan on Long Island would care less about the Islanders and instead jump on the Ranger bandwagon
The Isles as a hockey team are far from the laughing stock of the league - that honor goes to the Blue Jackets for the foreseeable future. The Isles management and overseers are the joke, your players are far from that.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
BCdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post

D'oh! (When you assume...). I just get defensive when people knock fanbases. What is happening to the Isles is sad but could be fixed under the right circumstances. I'm just not sure what those circumstances are.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:42 PM
eco's bones

The Islanders are staying right where they are--they have a young team and I expect that if they don't blow things up again they are going to get better. Tavares is a guy you can build a team around--a young Brad Richards only even more creative and a better goal scorer. He makes players that play with him better.

If I'm looking at the entire NHL--the Pens are the only team I think that are capable of putting back to back championships together and it's primarily because of star power and those two guys are horses and Jordan Staal as well. Fleury had an uncharacteristically bad performance in this year's playoffs and I wouldn't expect that again. The thing is it's just too hard these days to win two in a row. Between cap considerations and the shortest recovery time and every team looking at you as the team to test themselves against and IMO that derailed Boston this year and Chicago the year before.

My Rangers are in great part a young team in the process of finding itself. It's greatly encouraging that they played so well this season and continue on deeper into this year's playoffs. I don't take winning against the Devils for granted--we'll have to see what happens and I'd rather not predict but I'm hopeful anyway. A day at a time and a game at a time approach is a correct one-- and even if we don't win in the end this experience should help our younger guys grow. Whether we're Rangers fans or Devils fans we happen to be what we are and at the end of the day we're just guys and gals who root for their team and it's just a game--there are more serious things and also much more that we have in common than not.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
For me it is the Rangers, no question whatsoever. I'll be openly rooting for them. The Devils, while I have respect for them as an organization, are too much of a rival, moreso than the Rangers to me, who the Flyers have not seen in the playoffs in 15 years.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Uncle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
1. The Devils have never gotten media attention, and the Rangers aren't getting media attention now. Nobody will give a rat's ass about the Rangers the week after they get knocked out or win the cup. It's just the way it is with hockey in the NY/NJ area.
2. I don't think the Rangers play like the Devils cup teams. Those teams had offensive skill as well as a strong defense and a hall of fame goaltender. The Rangers lay down on the ice to block shots, and that's about it.
3. I ****ing hate the Rangers. I don't give a **** whether it's cool to do or not. I want to **** in their throats.
4. My team has won 3 cups since the Rangers last won. Why would I admire them? That whole organization is a piece of ****.
1. Have you seen the backs of the New York papers lately? More coverage then we have gotten in a while. Care to listen to Mike Francessa or Boomer & Carton lately? Although Mike might be ignorant when it comes to hockey, the rangers have been getting attention.
2. Watch the Rangers play before you make senseless comments like this that make me think you have never paid attention to a hockey game.

Congrats on those 3 cups though, I do admire the devils from a professional stance. Great leadership from Lou down. But we are in 2011-12. No need to bring up the past.

Last edited by piqued: 05-15-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
05-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Super Schenn Bros
Hup Holland Hup!

vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Devils... lesser of two evils. Ironically.
That's gold Jerry, gold!

Old
05-14-2012, 08:35 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
I guess the Devils? Kovalchuk is my favorite non-Flyer. Neither is a great option. Normally, watching the playoffs isn't so bad even after the Flyers get eliminated just because I love hockey. But even having Game 1 of the ECF on right now it's hard to watch since I usually pick a team to root for even in individual games and I'm having a hard time committing. I'm kind of a Coyotes fan right now due to lack of options that don't leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:31 PM
River Man

As long as the winner loses to LA or Phoenix, I'll be very happy.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:29 AM
mirimon

Kings

if I have to pick one here though, it's the Rangers.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

Devils. The Rangers winning the Cup would almost be as bad as the Flyers winning.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
Id like to say i dont hold grudges but im not that big of a man i guess.

Still hate Adam Graves, luckily, we had this after:

Ronnie Francis:

Old
05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
This predictably turned into a fanbase discussion/bashing thread. Closed.

Closed Thread