HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

WCF Gm#1 5/13/12 : KINGS defeat COYOTES 4-2, Lead Series 1-0 ...

Old
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Okay then which feed do you recommend? Or is it same same where ever I go. The other series against Blues were a (cbs, nbc??) feed and those guys did not like the Kings and now the tsn crew were a lot anti Kings. Is it the same theme going on the CBS now as before, (blues) phoenix should do this and that? If so then I'm staying with TSN.

One of these guys on tsn really hates everything involving Kings and their players.
Excellent!

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Been saying this for weeks.

How is Jeff Carter still playing over Brown on the #1 PP. This is the only decision Sutter has made thus far that is a total head scratcher.

Brown and Kopitar play so well together, would love to see what they could do on the PP right now. And Carter just isn't producing at all.
why the top unit hasn't had net presence for 30 games is anyones guess. They dont produce any chances, the 2nd unit produces way more chances, because Brown and Stoll both like to go to the front of the net and cause havoc. The top unit is just a joke from top to bottom.

First problem being Carter doesnt seem to have a purpose out there. Second problem is Richards and Kopitar both like to play the same position, so just get in each others way more than anything. third problem is that Doughty plays top point while Martinez plays left point, so they cant even 1 time passes to each other. That is easily the most baffling aspect of it, the fact that your 2 point men are on the wrong side to shoot so everytime the puck comes to Martinez in space due to all the pk being drawn over to Kopitar, he has to take a touch before doing anything. Just swap him and Doughty and suddenly Doughty has acres of space to 1 time passes.

It really is pathetic that the best our pp has been in recent years was when the gameplan was feed Stoll for 1 timers over and over again

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The first PP unit just needs to pass to Richards along the goal line. Let him fire pucks from there. Richards already has 2 PP goals from the same spot.

Kings haven't trailed in a game since the first period of the first game against St. Louis.

Kings have 8 straight road playoff wins over the past two seasons. NHL record is 9. Kings can tie it tomorrow.

Hopefully the Kings won't be able to break the record until the Stanley Cup finals.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:49 PM
drbob

some observations re: Game 1:

1) refs blew a few calls, particularly early in the 1st when the puck touched the Coyote who had just come onto the ice near the bench while the player he was replacing was still on, but Kings fought off the bad call(s),

2) Kings were faster and more aggressive on their forecheck, dominated the game, dominated ice time in their zone as well as shots and attempted shots,

3) Coach Tippett on the post game was somber, realizing and talking about how the Kings played dominating hockey that shut them down, implying that if his players don't step it up bigtime, they will lose badly, but Coyotes have to be better in game 2, couldn't be as bad,

4) Quick was rusty early but did get better as the game went along, made that highlight save with his glove while on his back late and he will be fine tomorrow, will be back on form,

5) Brown is better than I ever thought he would be, and is now a Superstar,

6) Kopitar is one of the very best two way forwards in the league,

7) our D, especially Mitchell, Voynov and now Doughty, are playing the best they ever have, and Greene and Martinez are doing well,
with our PK firing on all cylinders,

8) is it my imagination or is Jeff Carter pretty invisible? If he steps it up, we are almost unbeatable,

9) Richards is a true warrior, especially for his size, glad we got him even if he doesn't score a lot, he's a very good two way guy,

10) gotta love those other young guys, King and Nolan, with King showing us a lot, he's kicked it up a notch, as has Lewis,

11) Coach Sutter is a great coach for this team, and Lombardi has to be credited with getting him,

12) Kings will win this series in 5 or 6 games,

and then onward to the Stanley Cup Finals, where we will win it for the 1st time EVER !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by drbob: 05-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:04 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
My bad.. didn't realize that. At least we don't have to hear Tyson Nash say "full on yard sale, brah" in his surfer voice. That guy could be the most annoying color guy in the NHL.
Strader is a professional. He's been doing national games involving the Kings for years, going back to his days as the #2 guy at ESPN. Nash is unbearable though.

OLN/Versus/NBC Sports just took the same guys that were doing NHL games at ESPN, other than Thorne/Emrick. Now the Devils are in the conference finals, and Emrick will be doing the games for NBC. Emrick no longer works for the Devils though, he's the #1 guy at NBC.

It's just the luck of the draw. Strader, Pang, Engblom, they've been doing national games in the western conference for like 20 years. At least one of them would usually work Kings games on ESPN, sometimes two of the three. Now they do it for NBC.

Other than using the Comcast feed during a Sharks or Hawks game, which is sort of cheap, I don't believe that NBC has used any home town announcers during games. They had the CBC stuff, but technically that's a national broadcast. I don't think Pang did any Blues game in the playoffs. So they wouldn't bring in Fox to do a Kings game or anything.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
The long and short of Game 1 was this:

Kings played to win.

Coyotes played not to lose.

Look at how the Kings scored their goals, and how the Coyotes got theirs. Phoenix got a fluke goal from center ice, and jumped on a turnover behind the net.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I just got back from the weekend in LA. We went to the Kings watch party at ESPN Zone and I just wanted to applaud the Kings PR people on making it so fun! There was a great number of people there (they had to open up the upstairs for the overflow), they had a great raffle (if you bought a raffle ticket, you got a Kings car flag), gave out black beads, noise makers and Kings paper napkins and coasters. The Ice Crew and Jay Flats weren't annoying like I thought they would be. They had all the Staples sounds of the game going and really got the crowd pumping. My husband and I took my mom (who's a huge Kings fan) and she also had a blast. What an awesome day!

As for the game, sooo awesome!!!!!!!!! I will say, I still think it's a weird feeling to be on this ride and not feel panicked when the other team scores.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

LOL, on the phone. It must've been her first hockey game ever.

Original:

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm loving the LA Kings twitter page:
http://twitter.com/#!/LAKings/status/202150851379339266
Quote:
During practice Slava Voynovs stick snapped on a slapshot and flew into the stands. Sadly media personal were quick to get out of the way.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:15 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Okay to get things straight.

Now I watched my first and only tsn feed of these playoffs and was hearing stuff like Brown embellishing and a lot of other stuff (that I can't recall right now) that really set the tone as they were not in to the Kings at all and it was all about Doan and the Coyotes and you have to understand that I was expecting a HOMEFEED and especially one of the commentators were going against the Kings a lot. (the guy had a higher pitch to his voice and to me it sounded like he was on the left side, well that is how it sounded through my "home theater?")

Secondly watching games in the morning before going to work makes you to skip the commercials and intermissions so I have no idea of what has been said outside the playing time.

So what I heard was a lot of anti Kings talk. Yeah they give the Kings credit when it is obvious to everyone but they were sure talking a lot of pro Phoenix that wasn't deserved and sometimes they even gave credit to guys not even on ice for plays that weren't anything special.

Last this is the feed I will go with.

Don't forget that I'm used to listening to Jim and Bob.
Just because an announcer points out a Kings player embellishing a hit, doesn't mean they are anti-Kings, they do the same for both teams. And for every time they talked about how good Doan is, they said the same thing about Brown and Kopitar just as much, if not more. There is only one Bob and Jim so when you watch neutral broadcasts you're going to get a view from both sides of the coin, not just pro Kings. And that's how it should be.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm loving the LA Kings twitter page:
http://twitter.com/#!/LAKings/status/202150851379339266

the tweets for Kopi over Giroux for NHL 13 cover are gold aswell

such as

Quote:
Kopitar scored the first goal of the conf finals, Giroux is at home
Quote:
Giroux has manned a t-shirt cannon at a Nickelback concert, Kopitar has not
Quote:
Kopitar holds all NHL records for a Slovenian, Giroux does not

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
It really is pathetic that the best our pp has been in recent years was when the gameplan was feed Stoll for 1 timers over and over again
You know what helps ... just think of the Kings Power Play as like a 2 minute time out but with the team skating around a bit on the ice and working on some passing it helps give the the team a breather for when they really have to play 5 on 5 or on the Penalty Kill

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Been saying this for weeks.

How is Jeff Carter still playing over Brown on the #1 PP. This is the only decision Sutter has made thus far that is a total head scratcher.

Brown and Kopitar play so well together, would love to see what they could do on the PP right now. And Carter just isn't producing at all.
Right now, Carter produces room for the other players and he's slicker with the puck. Right now, that's enough. Especially since he looks like he's skating on one leg.

Brown needs a rest since he hits more and harder than anyone else on the team. He's a better threat on the PK.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

The thing about these broadcasts....

they are neither home nor away. Like Buddy mentioned with Engblom playing up story lines like Doan, or the Blues figuring it out, or the play of Backes...

THEY HAVE TO DO THAT. It's not just us, our fans, our people watching these games. You've got Coyotes fans and a bunch of neutral fans watching as well.

Do you honestly think they should just sit there and sing glory praises about every person on our bench and talk about how bad the other team is playing? No. It's a neutral, national broadcast. If they did that they truly would be terrible. They have to call the game as if both fanbases are watching, and they have been. If the Coyotes are down and out and getting thumped, they HAVE to talk about something about the team. I've heard Jim Fox and Bob do the SAME EXACT THING in bad losses by the Kings. They don't just sit and jerk off the players on the other team, they say "Well beside the score line I think line xyz has been good." or "player A has been good"

They take turns gushing and playing up story lines for BOTH teams. Last night it was Doan being a captain and trying to rally his team. It was no different then Backes and the Blues, and it's honestly no different then what they say about Brown.

Jesus I mean hayward was ALL up on Jonathan Quick in the last series and called him everything shy of a God.

Some of you expect too much homerism from a neutral national broadcast.

I think the broadcast teams, for what they are, have been just fine.

But I guess we all have to have something to ***** and complain about because...well...you can't do it about anything on this team right now.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:34 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Sucks that I am going to miss game 2. Bought Dodgers tickets about a month ago, when none of us believed they would get this far.

Dwight King will be on NHL Live in a few minutes.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Sucks that I am going to miss game 2. Bought Dodgers tickets about a month ago, when none of us believed they would get this far.

Kings are making team history and you are going to go to a baseball game?

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
Kings are making team history and you are going to go to a baseball game?
I know huh ... I havn't been able to get into Baseball since ... wow, well ...

... I know I just dated myself ... I'm old what can I say

Old
05-14-2012, 06:09 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Great article on Penner with new quotes from Penner and Sutter: http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...tw-penner-0514

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:12 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Record ratings for NBCSN's game 1 in the LA market. I'll have some actual #s shortly.

Edit: here they are...
KINGS-COYOTES GAME 1
Last night’s Western Conference Final Game 1 between the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes delivered record ratings for both local markets. The NBC Sports Network was the highest-rated cable network in both local markets during the telecast of the game.
• In Los Angeles, Game 1 received a 2.14 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network.
• In Phoenix, Game 1 received a 5.56 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network.
Final national ratings will be available shortly.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Record ratings for NBCSN's game 1 in the LA market. I'll have some actual #s shortly.

KINGS-COYOTES GAME 1
Last night’s Western Conference Final Game 1 between the Los Angeles Kings and Phoenix Coyotes delivered record ratings for both local markets. The NBC Sports Network was the highest-rated cable network in both local markets during the telecast of the game.
• In Los Angeles, Game 1 received a 2.14 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network.
• In Phoenix, Game 1 received a 5.56 HH rating, the highest local rating ever in the market for a NHL game on the NBC Sports Network.
2.14 is a great rating for LA.

W00T!

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

KINGS-COYOTES GAME 1
Numbers would have been better but my friend could not get the game to show on his Dish Network!

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:05 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

ya, this Doan hate is really proof of how effective and good a player he is. He's doing what Brown is doing to other teams. Like someone said earlier, Doan and Backes are awesome. I'd take them in a heart beat. In fact, I'd pay a pretty heavy price to get players like these, at a MINIMUM what we gave up for Carter. They completely fit in with Kings hockey.

Think about it, outside of Brown, Kopitar, and Richards, who would you rather have in your forward lineup over Doan or Backes?

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:26 PM
DocWest
Knee Specialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post

Sell the tickets, problem solved. It took the Kings 19 years to get here, who knows when it will happen again. The Dodgers still have 2,362,343.03 games left to play this season.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:29 PM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
2.14 is a great rating for LA.

W00T!
Nice!

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Think about it, outside of Brown, Kopitar, and Richards, who would you rather have in your forward lineup over Doan or Backes?
Ohhh ... Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Bobby Ryan, Patrick Sharp, Jonathan Toews, Gabriel Landeskog, Jamie Benn, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Logan Couture, Joe Pavelski, Cal Clutterbuck, Milan Lucic, Patrice Bergeron, Eric Staal, Tomas Fleischmann, Zach Parise, David Clarkson, Ryan Callahan, Jason Spezza, Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell, James van Riemsdyk, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, James Neal, Jordan Staal, Martin St Louis, Steven Stamkos, Nicklas Backstrom, Alex Ovechkin, Andrew Ladd ... just to name a few

... but yeah IF they came cheap enough (cheaper than the above other guys) I'd welcome Doan or Backes to the Kings also