HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Russia

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 11:30 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
For Russia's view I hope this won'd do the same thing that Kostitsyn and Radulov did to Nashville's chemistry. Not necessarily their fault but it could happen.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Namba 17

I hope BILL KNOWS, but I don't understand why do we need Ovi and Semin now? It works, don't fix it I can find only two guys, who can be replaced - Shirokov and Zerdev, but will Ovi and Semin do defence as these two do?

Old
05-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Who knows... It depends on what the Russian coaching staff believes, if they believe Dale Hunters side of why not to put Orlov in, then not a chance in hell. He got scratched the entire playoffs for one turn over in the last game of the season.
For Russian players, that's the price to be paid for going to the NHL. They are going to focus on any mistake you make, blame you for not winning, accuse you of being lazy and shying away from the physical games. Except for a few individuals like yourself, the public is willing to accept criticisms of Russians that they would never tolerate for Canadian or American players like Sidney Crosby. A lot of the press and bloggers were criticizing Malkin for the Penguins early elimination, but there was no criticism at all of Crosby, who didn't contribute any more than Malkin. To the fans, Crosby is considered off limits, and no TV commentator or reporter would dare criticize him.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namba 17 View Post
I hope BILL KNOWS, but I don't understand why do we need Ovi and Semin now? It works, don't fix it I can find only two guys, who can be replaced - Shirokov and Zerdev, but will Ovi and Semin do defence as these two do?
Coach Bill obviously has a system going, and the question is will Ovi and Semin be able to quickly learn it and buy into it. I believe Russia's success to date is based on defense.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:21 PM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
For Russian players, that's the price to be paid for going to the NHL. They are going to focus on any mistake you make, blame you for not winning, accuse you of being lazy and shying away from the physical games. Except for a few individuals like yourself, the public is willing to accept criticisms of Russians that they would never tolerate for Canadian or American players like Sidney Crosby. A lot of the press and bloggers were criticizing Malkin for the Penguins early elimination, but there was no criticism at all of Crosby, who didn't contribute any more than Malkin. To the fans, Crosby is considered off limits, and no TV commentator or reporter would dare criticize him.
Not all Pens fans are/were blaming Malkin. Agreed, he did take a lot of blame in the press ... but there were also some members of the press who more accurately put the loss on the entire team, not just one player. As for the fans, many, myself included, are truly appreciative of his efforts and don't blame Geno for our first round exit, but see it as a combination of factors.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
Ovechkin should be put with Datsyuk, Malkin's line has been killing it while Datsyuk's line has been silent so it can't hurt to put Ovechkin with him.
It Could work, but for some reason it backfired in Olympics. We'll see...

Old
05-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Ilyeu

I think it would be crazy to put Semin and Oveckhin in the top line right off the bat. I haven`t watched the chemistry, but I would put each of them individually in separate lines 2-3 or put them in the 3rd line. ? Considering Russia seems to be doing fine.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
VladNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
For Russia's view I hope this won'd do the same thing that Kostitsyn and Radulov did to Nashville's chemistry. Not necessarily their fault but it could happen.
What a bunch of nonsense!

Old
05-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
that's borderline trolling, irrelevant and provocational

Old
05-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Not all Pens fans are/were blaming Malkin. Agreed, he did take a lot of blame in the press ... but there were also some members of the press who more accurately put the loss on the entire team, not just one player. As for the fans, many, myself included, are truly appreciative of his efforts and don't blame Geno for our first round exit, but see it as a combination of factors.
That is true. Marc-Andre Fleury got some of the criticism. It wasn't by any means his fault, IMO, but he didn't win games for the Pens in goal.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Paxton Fettel

I'd rather have Shirokov than Syomin!

Zherdev = Syomin = worthless

Old
05-13-2012, 04:48 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
I'd rather have Shirokov than Syomin!

Zherdev = Syomin = worthless
I actually think Syomin is better for the team than Ovechkin. Ovie can't do anything for the national team.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:59 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
What a bunch of nonsense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
that's borderline trolling, irrelevant and provocational
Quote:
I didn't take that example because of Radulov's a Russian, just the first one that came to my mind. IMO Nashville didn't play as well after Radulov joined.

Not trying to provoke or troll at all unless you consider saying 'Russia's team chemistry might suffer because these players come', to be that.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Chimp

Alexandr Ovetjkin and Syomin will probably be good additions to the Russian team. They are more gritty players than before, well, at least Ovetjkin. He's bought into the Cap grind model of self sacrifice. Hey, he's even throwing himself in front of shots and he's always a wrecking machine. Like suggested, why not on a 3rd line?

Syomin... well. He disappeared a little in the playoffs, because he faced such skilled defensive teams like the Bruins and the Rangers, who were equally as good defensively as the Caps, who are also a very defensive minded team. They gave him no space and that's what he needs. And when he did, he got robbed by excellent goaltending. Big ice will improve his room for his great shot, I think. His wrister is deadly.

My prediction? The Russian and Swedish team play eachother in the Finals. I think they're the two best teams in the tournament, now that Sweden will get Bäckström. Although Swedish goaltending is a question mark, Mårts is refusing to give Enroth the chance, despite Fasth playing really shaky.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:22 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Alexandr Ovetjkin and Syomin will probably be good additions to the Russian team. They are more gritty players than before, well, at least Ovetjkin. He's bought into the Cap grind model of self sacrifice. Hey, he's even throwing himself in front of shots and he's always a wrecking machine. Like suggested, why not on a 3rd line?

Syomin... well. He disappeared a little in the playoffs, because he faced such skilled defensive teams like the Bruins and the Rangers, who were equally as good defensively as the Caps, who are also a very defensive minded team. They gave him no space and that's what he needs. And when he did, he got robbed by excellent goaltending. Big ice will improve his room for his great shot, I think. His wrister is deadly.

My prediction? The Russian and Swedish team play eachother in the Finals. I think they're the two best teams in the tournament, now that Sweden will get Bäckström. Although Swedish goaltending is a question mark, Mårts is refusing to give Enroth the chance, despite Fasth playing really shaky.
Third line for Ovechkin? A man with 8 major individual NHl awards? You're off your rocker.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:45 AM
CSKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
Third line for Ovechkin? A man with 8 major individual NHl awards? You're off your rocker.
If Bil thinks the same way as you ....than goodbay Russia

Old
05-14-2012, 03:04 AM
sivert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Alexandr Ovetjkin
By the way, why do you call him Ovetjkin? Is it some way to show no respect for him or simply weird spelling? No offense, just interesting.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:14 AM
Cuddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivert View Post
By the way, why do you call him Ovetjkin? Is it some way to show no respect for him or simply weird spelling? No offense, just interesting.
Every Latin alphabet language have different ways of writing names which origin is in the Cyrillic script. You can check out Ovechkin on Wikipedia and check different language.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:18 AM
MaxV

For those that think Semin is worthless, he actually has MUCH better history of play for Team Russia then Ovechkin.

Semin is actually a very capable penalty killer.

Now as far as which lines to put them on, I think Malkin's line should remain intact, every other line could be changed.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:26 AM
World Is Not Phaneuf

Quote:
Ovetjkin is the Swedish transliteration of Овечкин.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Trotzig

Quote:
I like the french transliteration: Ovetchkine

It's the same discrepancy for Emelin/Yemelin and a lot of other russian names.

Old
05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Hockeysemin

After todays games it looks like Bilya will play Ovechkin and Semin with Datsyuk and move down Kulemin and Kuznetsov with Svitov

Popov - Malkin - Perezhogin
Ovechkin- Datsyuk - Semin
Zherdev - Tereschenko - Shirokov
Kulemin - Svitov - Kuznetsov

Old
05-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulle View Post
After todays games it looks like Bilya will play Ovechkin and Semin with Datsyuk and move down Kulemin and Kuznetsov with Svitov

Popov - Malkin - Perezhogin
Ovechkin- Datsyuk - Semin
Zherdev - Tereschenko - Shirokov
Kulemin - Svitov - Kuznetsov
I remember that's how the Olympics 1st line looked. It didn't work. Ovi and Datsyuk did not click at all. I hope things have changed, and I hope it was the coaching/tactics.

It is a very logical line though, but doesn't always work in life.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
the

Bring back Alexei Kovalev!

Old
05-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Siberian

This is so wrong to bring Ovechkin and Semin right now on so many levels. Let me list them:

1. Chemistry right now is undeniable. The team gelled really well, why play with it now?

2. Ovechkin never performed well for team Russia on any levels. He is easily shut down by top defensive teams. The only important goal he scored for team Russia which I remember was in 2006 versus Canada. That was more than 6 years ago. One can say that he dished an assist to Semin against Canada in 2008 final but it was just an assist.

3. Ovechkin and Malkin on the same team have never been successful.

4. The only time Ovechkin won anything was when he was playing secondary roles on team Russia.

5. Every time team Russia relied on him as an offensive weapon team Russia failed (2005 Juniors, bunch of WC's)

6. Travelling to Europe from North America is much tougher than travelling from Europe to North America due to time change going ahead, which is my own observation. Russia's NHL'ers who joined team Russia on short notice after NHL playoffs rarely perform well for some exceptions (Kovalchuk and Bryzgalov in 2009).

7. How invested can both Semin and Ovechkin be after these playoffs? Sometimes people are just spent and there is nothing can help outside of long rest.

8. Both Ovechkin and Semin showed below average average speed. I thought they were the slowest players on the whole Caps roster. I can't stand watching Ovechkin who without the puck just stops skating, that is what allows him to play those long shifts, his work output is just nowhere close to an average NHLer. Any player on team Russia right now has been working hard, I do not believe Ovechkin can match that.

Closed Thread