HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

"Bloomington Native Tom Gilbert" 13 years ago...

Old
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Depends which Gilbert you get. His contract year he was good with lots of potential. We signed him for too much money and the next few years he was without doubt the Oilers worst D-man. By far. Bar none. Scream in terror every time he touched the puck omfg bad. He could single handedly lose games for you regularly. This year before he got injured he looked really good. Worked with a shot coach over summer, came into camp in great shape. Was looking like he would finaly be worth his contract. From the time he came back from injury to when he was traded tho... looked much more like the bad Gilbert then the good.

Everything I have heard and seen about Shultz says the Oilers more than likely won this trade by a landslide. Steady reliable D-man. But if the good Gilbert shows up and sticks around... Minny will win in the end.

It's funny how there were alot of Gilbert fan boys who are quick to point out his strengths but can completley ignore multiple YEARS of being the worst d-man on the worst team in the NHL. The most common excuse is that Gilbert was pushed into the top pairing role too often and that playing against the oppositions top players makes it unreasonable to expect him to do well... Weak reasoning in my mind.

With Minny and the Oil doing so poorly I hope it works out for both teams.
Everything you've seen and heard from Schultz has been false. He's been abysmal this year.

That being said, he has his days, and when he's on he is a very good and solid D-man. He's a first pairing D on good days, borderline AHL on bad days. Sadly, he seemed to have more of those bad days this year.

Maybe he just needs Brent Burns.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Schultz also went to a much, much more talented team, both offensively and defensively. Gilbert's being asked to be the #1 defenseman on easily the worst team in the league right now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Everything you've seen and heard from Schultz has been false. He's been abysmal this year.

That being said, he has his days, and when he's on he is a very good and solid D-man. He's a first pairing D on good days, borderline AHL on bad days. Sadly, he seemed to have more of those bad days this year.

Except not.

Schultz is a steady, reliable second pairing shutdown guy. He was very bad to start the season (and was likely still recovering from last year's injury) but absolutely did not play like that between Christmas and the trade deadline.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Except not.

Schultz is a steady, reliable second pairing shutdown guy. He was very bad to start the season (and was likely still recovering from last year's injury) but absolutely did not play like that between Christmas and the trade deadline.
That would be the crux of my theory on why Schultz looked abnormally bad for most of the first part of the season.

He switched to the M11 and was recovering from a concussion suffered at the end of last year. How long did it take him to fully recover? I've chatted back and forth with Kris, his brother, and he implies (but does not state) that Nick had lingering concussion issues for most of the first half of the season.

He also implies (again, does not state) that Clutter has a concussion that he's been playing through.

I'd be curious to do a sit down interview with Kris Schultz, but I don't have that level of pull.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post

From what Ive seen Shultz as an Oiler so far he is as advertised. Steady, solid defensive defenseman. The ponts he is getting is an unexpected bonus.

Having half a bad year doesn't concern me really if the rest of his career he has been as good or better than he is playing right now for the Oilers.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

I went downtown Minneapolis on St. Pattys and saw Gilbert at a mexican restaurant.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:03 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Schultz also went to a much, much more talented team, both offensively and defensively. Gilbert's being asked to be the #1 defenseman on easily the worst team in the league right now.
Haha yah that's never going to work well... He's best used on the second pairing. Hope things go better next year, with a fresh new start, I hope Gilbert turns things around. I never got why he was a whipping boy in Edmonton, he's always been solid there, and also very durable. He only missed games this season because of that puke Carcillo intentionally shoved him into the boards.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Asher

Just curious to see what you guys think of this article:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ota-wild-fans/

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:11 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post

Gilbert's been unfairly crucified by the HW crowd. He played fine. It was a lateral move that swapped a redundant piece with a less-redundant one. More importantly, the Wild are shipping out the old guard and chopping down the core of veterans who were probably getting a little complacent with losing here.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post

I've never felt the folks at HW had their finger on the pulse of the majority of Wild fans. Gilbert has been pretty well-received by most fans from what I've seen and read.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:18 PM
mnwildgophers

People that aren't insanely biased like those at HW think Gilbert did a good job for the most part towards the end of the year. I thought he looked great the last 10 games or so. The question is will that translate over to next year? He was also traded for one of the longest tenured Wild players who was great in the community and stuff. I wasn't a fan of Schultz so I liked the trade.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Talk about scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel. A blog that takes the opinion of one blogger and runs with it?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:48 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Gilbert's been unfairly crucified by the HW crowd. He played fine. It was a lateral move that swapped a redundant piece with a less-redundant one. More importantly, the Wild are shipping out the old guard and chopping down the core of veterans who were probably getting a little complacent with losing here.
thats just because certain members of that crowd thought Schultz was the bestest thing ever. I always thought Gilbert was really bad in Eddy (just the impression i got from half-following them) and wasn't too sure about the move but from the second game on i've warmed steadily. he ended up our best defensemen pretty easily IMO.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

When someone calls Schultz a top 5 shutdown defenseman, I don't put much stock into their take on what they're seeing at the position...

Gilbert was a sound add. Thrilled with the trade the day it was made and still am a big fan.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote