HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nassau County Updates ***Post 500 Monti News***

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
<<<< refilling my popcorn and soda, reclining back in my seat..

Old
05-14-2012, 02:15 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Can anyone post a link explaining why 1/10 of the $750M will not be $75M for the NVMC but instead $25M as mentioned above? (see: lorwood post on cap for LI, #8)

In terms of the vital nature or PRESERVING economic benefit (tax revenue) as well as creating (construction, additional jobs and increased gross revenue for building - thus MORE TAXES), this project has to be immensely more important than a Coy pond in Wyandanch or whatever other politico project gets presented for LI.
Only a guess here but Long Island may be considered part of a larger region with areas like New York City included. (Down State)

Two important factors to consider.

One of the first criteria for an award last year was that the project had to be considered "shovel ready"

Even if the Long Island region was to get a true 1/10 or 75 mil this amount would not be awarded to one Long Island project.

So at the end of the day any State money will not have a significant impact on the finance problem

Besides the politicians will no doubt piss it away with useless hearings and rejected proposals anyway!

Old
05-14-2012, 02:29 PM
lorwood

Ok so Long Island is its own region but....

Last year Long Island was awarded 106 mil that was divided into 66 projects

http://www.longislandassociation.org...opment-funding

Old
05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
LETS GO SUFFOLK!!!

LETS GO SUFFOLK!!!!!!

If you root for the Isles to move to Brooklyn, its like rooting for the Rangers.

Funny...And I think rooting for the team to move to Suffolk is like rooting for the Isles to move to the AHL (which they're not far off from doing now).

Old
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Funny...And I think rooting for the team to move to Suffolk is like rooting for the Isles to move to the AHL (which they're not far off from doing now).
I am from nassau, but I have always felt that Suffolk is probably the strongest concentration of Isle fans on average. Not very scientific but just my opinion, based on my experience. I don't know why it has always seemed this way but maybe this was because they are further away from the city but still within driving distance of the coliseum and also because of the old LI Ducks roots out in Commack.

I don't know how likely it is to happen but IMO having a team in Western Suffolk with both parking and public transportation would not be such a bad thing. Still very reachable from Nassau and parts of Queens. It may be the only convenient commute to see a pro team regularly for a large part of Suffolk (with maybe the Mets as the next best option 25-30 miles further west or MSG via LIRR).

Old
05-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Steve55

I wonder if the business leaders in Long Island are trying anything to keep the Isles in regional Long Island even though Wang has rejected Suffolk County in the past.

http://www.fios1news.com/longisland/node/6336

Old
05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Isles Junkie

I'd hate if they moved to Suffolk. The idea here shouldn't be to make the team less relevant. and the further west they move, the more irrelevant they become.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I'd hate if they moved to Suffolk. The idea here shouldn't be to make the team less relevant. and the further west they move, the more irrelevant they become.
You meant further east, right?

Old
05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Suffolk would be 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000 times better them brooklyn
Hellll yea!

Old
05-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
You meant further east, right?
yes, my bad.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Suffolk would be awesome. Mass transit, near the LIE and Suffolk's population is growing. I think it would work. It would only be some 20 miles or so from Uniondale. This would really make the team a Long Island team. To heck with the city, they would still be called the New York Islanders.

Old
05-14-2012, 06:14 PM
startainfection

isles should move out east, somewhere on the north shore too, are whalers fans still not willing to root for anyone? put them right by a ferry and offer ferry and game ticket deals

and the concentration of isles fans is greater out there i think

Old
05-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
I cannot see either Nassau or Suffolk County at this time becoming the destination for the NY Islanders and it pains me to say it.

Nassau too may empty suits... predominantly CLOWN suits involved.

Mangano is in so far over his head he makes the Titanic look like its resting in a puddle.

Kate Murray flexible? Perhaps in he food intake but other then that, she nor anyone else on the TOH board understands a thing about economics and policy that can actually make lives you know *better. TOH pols are 100% about 1 thing how to line their own pockets which is why TOH public locations are pretty dumpy.

The only township in Nassau that seems to have its crap together is Oyster Bay... so if a location in that Township is found, I think that township could get something organized.

But the bigger issue and it made me chuckle as Mangano said he would kick in County funds Nassau County cannot make any financial decisions without NIFA. The County has pretty much no long-term or financial decision making power. So someone explain to me, how the County will kick in anything but a loud belch of hot air.

Suffolk County is as financial dead as Nassau County. And as someone who was involved in Suffolk politics it is just as bad as Nassau. Brentwood is intriguing... Even the old Pilgrim State location could be a curious possible site but again, how is it being financed by a County that is financially dead.

Queens or Brooklyn are the last best hopes for the Islanders and I would take either with a happy face.

There are so many who say Wang should pay for it. He offered it. Love him or hate him he did offer to build it. TOH said F-off.

In the end this will be about one thing and one thing only.

Which deal gets Wang the best financial windfall? Can he get a top deal out of Brooklyn in terms of revenue sharing, concessions and TV? He would have a bigger possible audience, new audience, hip crowd looking to fill a shiny new building. In Queens, he would get the same thing. The idea that we should go further into the boonies is not going to be a revenue winner for the Islanders hate to say it, but it is going to be tough to engage a dying base of support where in Queens or Brooklyn there could be a possible re-birth of the franchise with new fans.
I'd be interested in knowing what part of Suffolk politics you were involved in. Don't believe for a second it's as bad as Nassau, who has been under review for the past decade. Suffolks problems stem from Steve Levy antics, and a legislature that was too scared to rock the boat while his approval rating was through the roof.

All Suffolks problems can be solved in the span of 4-5 years with incremental tax raises. Being a "fiscal conservative" is all the rage these days, where you run on "not raising taxes", and "doing more with less". Any of this stuff sound familiar?

Well, here's the problem.... Steve Levy didn't raise taxes his entire tenure, infact, they haven't gone up a red cent in 10 years. In that time, gas prices (meaning the price of EVERYTHING) have more than tripled. I can vouch with 100 percent certainty that in at least one precinct alone, the county goes through about 20,000 gallons of fuel every other week. Do the math.

Levy got away with not raising taxes by attrition.... that is, as people retired or left the job those positions weren't filled. In turn, those positions remained in the budget.... meaning the taxpayers were still paying for those positions.

The last round of union concessions, and layoffs included the abolishment of many, if not all of those empty positions. Now you've got even lower revenue, and the cost of operation remains sky high.

The problems facing Steve Ballone is that he cannot cut the county workforce much more than it already has without severely cutting.... or outright ending some services. He's going to have to raise taxes, or find another source of incoming revenue (hmmm... maybe a sports entertainment destination could bring something?).

Suffolk County has always been a viable destination, and they've always been interested, believe that. Also, poke around at Kevin Laws prior job titles.....

Old
05-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Jester9881

You have to look at it this way, think of all the revenue a new building and sports franchise would bring to a local municipality. Take into account that in Suffolk, there is no current revenue stream from the Islanders/NVMC.

Nassau is looking at spending 400m just to keep the status quo. Suffolk would be adding all that revenue from noting.

Old
05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Boik14

They have been talking about a new coliseum since the early 80's. I have absolutely zero faith in anyone to get this done. Its beyond Kate Murray, Law or any of these other snotrag useless politicians to be able to do something productive in regards to further developing that land. It hasn't been developed in 30 years discussing it and its going to get done now? I don't care if its Suffolk or Brooklyn or Queens so long as its not Quebec or some other area we cant see our team.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:19 PM
JTforPres2012

I think all of NY knows Nassau is better than Suffolk but just to see the Isles stay local would be a great achievement for the fans of the organization. Sorry for pointing out such an obvious point, but this whole arena debacle has taken its toll on all of us.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:12 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what part of Suffolk politics you were involved in. Don't believe for a second it's as bad as Nassau, who has been under review for the past decade. Suffolks problems stem from Steve Levy antics, and a legislature that was too scared to rock the boat while his approval rating was through the roof.

All Suffolks problems can be solved in the span of 4-5 years with incremental tax raises. Being a "fiscal conservative" is all the rage these days, where you run on "not raising taxes", and "doing more with less". Any of this stuff sound familiar?

Well, here's the problem.... Steve Levy didn't raise taxes his entire tenure, infact, they haven't gone up a red cent in 10 years. In that time, gas prices (meaning the price of EVERYTHING) have more than tripled. I can vouch with 100 percent certainty that in at least one precinct alone, the county goes through about 20,000 gallons of fuel every other week. Do the math.

Levy got away with not raising taxes by attrition.... that is, as people retired or left the job those positions weren't filled. In turn, those positions remained in the budget.... meaning the taxpayers were still paying for those positions.

The last round of union concessions, and layoffs included the abolishment of many, if not all of those empty positions. Now you've got even lower revenue, and the cost of operation remains sky high.

The problems facing Steve Ballone is that he cannot cut the county workforce much more than it already has without severely cutting.... or outright ending some services. He's going to have to raise taxes, or find another source of incoming revenue (hmmm... maybe a sports entertainment destination could bring something?).

Suffolk County has always been a viable destination, and they've always been interested, believe that. Also, poke around at Kevin Laws prior job titles.....
Suffolk County has always been as corrupt as Nassau (or at least close).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boik14 View Post
They have been talking about a new coliseum since the early 80's. I have absolutely zero faith in anyone to get this done. Its beyond Kate Murray, Law or any of these other snotrag useless politicians to be able to do something productive in regards to further developing that land. It hasn't been developed in 30 years discussing it and its going to get done now? I don't care if its Suffolk or Brooklyn or Queens so long as its not Quebec or some other area we cant see our team.

This. So many people forget this. I moved off of Long Island in 97-and I remember tons of talk of a new arena. That was 15 years ago-and we're still not any closer. I'll believe it when it's in the middle of the building process. Until then-it's not going to happen.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:33 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoffspring447 View Post
isnt that property located right off of the sagtikos parkway. (which is accessible from the northern state, LIE, sunrise and southern state parkway)
yeah, it's pretty close, but what I mean is once you get off those main roads it's all really small side roads. They would have to find a logistical way to fix that issue. I'm sure it can be done, just saying it's part of the equation...

Old
05-15-2012, 09:02 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
isles should move out east, somewhere on the north shore too, are whalers fans still not willing to root for anyone? put them right by a ferry and offer ferry and game ticket deals

and the concentration of isles fans is greater out there i think
Very interesting thought!

Old
05-15-2012, 09:11 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Very interesting thought!
Agreed. It probably would attract some conn fans.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:26 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

The only location I see as viable that includes Suffolk is the 110 Corridor. I have written to Mangano concerning this location and hope to speak with Steve Bellone.

Any plan there would have to be a co county cooperative effort, but it would serve both counties well, has mass transit, corporate presence and three county/regional appeal.

Add in the 135/287 bridge proposal included in the regional plan that won $101.6 mil in state funds in 2011 and you open access to Westchester and Conn.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
for the one millionth time.. if they move to Suffolk county they will be bankrupt in 10 years!!

Lets move farther away from the biggest market in the world and make ourselves more obsolete in the NY metro area.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
yeah, it's pretty close, but what I mean is once you get off those main roads it's all really small side roads. They would have to find a logistical way to fix that issue. I'm sure it can be done, just saying it's part of the equation...
No it cant, once road work/changes are proposed you will have environmentalists going APE because it would harm the ecosystem. Your gonna need a 5 year study just for the impact.. then you got to have a vote with the towns near bye.. Good Luck with that one!!

Suffolk county wont happen!!

Old
05-15-2012, 10:13 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
The only location I see as viable that includes Suffolk is the 110 Corridor. I have written to Mangano concerning this location and hope to speak with Steve Bellone.

Any plan there would have to be a co county cooperative effort, but it would serve both counties well, has mass transit, corporate presence and three county/regional appeal.

Add in the 135/287 bridge proposal included in the regional plan that won $101.6 mil in state funds in 2011 and you open access to Westchester and Conn.
That bridge (or tunnel as also proposed at one time) is never ever going to be built. They have been talking about it since Robert Moses.

I do not see anything about this proposal in the 66 projects that were awarded money last year.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/assets/do...RDSBooklet.pdf

Old
05-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
I think all of NY knows Nassau is better than Suffolk but just to see the Isles stay local would be a great achievement for the fans of the organization. Sorry for pointing out such an obvious point, but this whole arena debacle has taken its toll on all of us.
As a guy that lives on Long Island(and hates its and NY) Nassau is a much bigger ****hole than Suffolk(not saying much though).

Closed Thread