Notices

Offseason Media Speculation

Old
05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Offseason Media Speculation

Hey,

I started this thread in hopes to cut down the number of threads (derp!). Seriously though, we could direct all offseason media threads here, just a thought for the mods.

Millions must be as bored as we are, but some of the things he speculates about (Bouwmeester, Kipper) are great for a long offseason...discuss.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...es_coach_hunt/

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iginlafan View Post
After reading Roger Million's piece how there are rumblings Jay Bouwmeester could be moved this offseason, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the matter?

I know he has the big cap hit, but it's only for 2 more seasons so there are teams who coud be interesed. Also you would have to imagine Feaster would need to either trade for or sign another defenseman that could log some of the minutes Jay Bo plays in order for this to happen.

So do you think he gets moved this summer?
Don't know if he'll see this but I'll reply here because we'll need to organize our forum a bit...

Whatever offers Feaster gets, it'll be a lot less than what Bouwmeester offers to this team. In part because of his history of inability to find that 2nd or 3rd gear, as well as the cap hit, even if it is for only 2 more years.

With Suter being a possibility in UFA, there's not going to be very much interest to pay a lot of Bouwmeester.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Can somebody fill me in on this:
"Case and point whispers that on the way out Brent Sutter muttered to confidants that John Weisbrod is the only real shining light in Flames management and that Feaster may be overshadowed. That may simply be sour grapes on Sutter's part then again, perhaps not."
I never heard about this and if true what is Sutter implying?

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:13 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
"Case and point whispers that on the way out Brent Sutter muttered to confidants that John Weisbrod is the only real shining light in Flames management and that Feaster may be overshadowed. That may simply be sour grapes on Sutter's part then again, perhaps not."
I thought that was a really poor comment because it throws Sutter under the bus a bit and it can never be backed up or authenticated at all.

Also, it is irrelevant - let's say it's true and Weisbrod is the real brains behind the Flames... How does that change anything? If you are a Weisbrod fan and you want to work with him, what difference does it make that he is the AGM? If he is "overshadowing" Feaster, then he is essentially running the show anyway.

Really silly comment IMO.

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:17 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
I hope not. I always thought Sutter was a crappy Flames coach, but never did I think he was a crappy person. Feaster couldn't have been more respectful, patient, and accommodating to Sutter, so for Sutter to talk **** about Feaster disguists me.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:18 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
I thought that was a really poor comment because it throws Sutter under the bus a bit and it can never be backed up or authenticated at all.

Also, it is irrelevant - let's say it's true and Weisbrod is the real brains behind the Flames... How does that change anything? If you are a Weisbrod fan and you want to work with him, what difference does it make that he is the AGM? If he is "overshadowing" Feaster, then he is essentially running the show anyway.

Really silly comment IMO.
Thanks for clearing that up. I am not familiar with weisbrod at all, but the moves feaster made have been good so far so I don't care who runs it as long as the moves are good.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I hope not. I always thought Sutter was a crappy Flames coach, but never did I think he was a crappy person. Feaster couldn't have been more respectful, patient, and accommodating to Sutter, so for Sutter to talk **** about Feaster disguists me.
To add to this, both Sutter and Feaster have stated publicly, and several times, that they had an excellent relationship and were good friends (so I doubt he actually said it).

I know that everyone 'says' that, but there was very clear sincerity from both of them while saying it. Plus, they didn't have to KEEP stating it, but hey did.

Old
05-11-2012, 10:25 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I am not familiar with weisbrod at all, but the moves feaster made have been good so far so I don't care who runs it as long as the moves are good.
No problem.

I like both Feaster and Weisbrod, personally. And I think they make an excellent team with complementary skills. Throw in Conroy and you have a solid team.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:19 PM
SickHandsNoShot

Ya Feaster has clearly stated that Weisbrod is the hockey mind of the operation. Admiting that he did not believe himself to be that kind of guy. I think even if the comments were true, its a non-issue, as long as Weisbrod is happy with his position.

SickHandsNoShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Regarding Sutter comments, not only Brent, but none of the Sutter's are that way. When Darryl was let go, it was obvious he was pissed but to this day he still hasn't publicly spoke about the situation or his relationship with his brother at the time. Brian is the same way to. Say what you want about the Sutter's but they do come from a hard working, character family. And it has been stated several times that both Sutter and Feaster had a great relationship together. Its no secret that Feaster isn't a traditional hockey guy, so it makes for a good rumor IMO. I think if this story has any legs, it was probably a comment Sutter said was probably taken out of context.

Regarding moving Bouwmeester, I'm sure Feaster will be shopping him this offseason to an extent. Despite him being overpaid (which irrelevant to us) he fills an enormous hole on our blueline, and larger than the one that Gio fills. Because he has under performed and is overpaid, his value in a trade is much lower than what his value is to the Flames. I think if Feaster can land a under 27 top 4 dman and above average prospect or late 1st round pick, that Bouwmeester would be moved without a doubt. I just don't see any team offering that package with how he has performed here the last 2 seasons.

In contrast, Gio costs considerably less, has performed to expectations for the most part, and is also considered extremely valuable in the trade market. His return would be much higher than Bouwmeester's for these reasons and easier for a team to fit in under their cap. Gio is way more of a character player, but he has shown he struggles when he plays as many minutes as Jbo. For this reason Gio is considered a fringe top pairing dman. Trading Bouw and not replacing his minutes would devastate our defence. I would much rather move Gio over Bouw when you consider the return of moving Gio would be substantially higher and he would be easier to replace via FA (ie. Carle).

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:09 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickHandsNoShot View Post
Ya Feaster has clearly stated that Weisbrod is the hockey mind of the operation. Admiting that he did not believe himself to be that kind of guy. I think even if the comments were true, its a non-issue, as long as Weisbrod is happy with his position.
If true which I doubt is, I'm sure he'd love his position. He is away from the spotlight, if a deal goes bad feasters gonna take the hit not Weisbrod, doesn't have to deal with the media just has to do his job. But I believe the rumor to be just that, a rumor.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:19 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Didn't Feaster hire Weisbrod? If he did and Weisbrod is the real brains than Feaster is a freaking genius .

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 01:23 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Didn't Feaster hire Weisbrod? If he did and Weisbrod is the real brains than Feaster is a freaking genius .
Exactly.

Even if Sutter said that (which I doubt, at least in the implied context), who cares?

Good on Feaster for surrounding himself with talent. That is exactly what a good leader does.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:25 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
Exactly.

Even if Sutter said that (which I doubt, at least in the implied context), who cares?

Good on Feaster for surrounding himself with talent. That is exactly what a good leader does.
Yep Feaster may not be a hockey mind but why does the GM have to do everything himself if he hires good scouts and hockey mind then he is exactly what we need.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:58 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Regarding Sutter comments, not only Brent, but none of the Sutter's are that way. When Darryl was let go, it was obvious he was pissed but to this day he still hasn't publicly spoke about the situation or his relationship with his brother at the time. Brian is the same way to. Say what you want about the Sutter's but they do come from a hard working, character family. And it has been stated several times that both Sutter and Feaster had a great relationship together. Its no secret that Feaster isn't a traditional hockey guy, so it makes for a good rumor IMO. I think if this story has any legs, it was probably a comment Sutter said was probably taken out of context.

Regarding moving Bouwmeester, I'm sure Feaster will be shopping him this offseason to an extent. Despite him being overpaid (which irrelevant to us) he fills an enormous hole on our blueline, and larger than the one that Gio fills. Because he has under performed and is overpaid, his value in a trade is much lower than what his value is to the Flames. I think if Feaster can land a under 27 top 4 dman and above average prospect or late 1st round pick, that Bouwmeester would be moved without a doubt. I just don't see any team offering that package with how he has performed here the last 2 seasons.

In contrast, Gio costs considerably less, has performed to expectations for the most part, and is also considered extremely valuable in the trade market. His return would be much higher than Bouwmeester's for these reasons and easier for a team to fit in under their cap. Gio is way more of a character player, but he has shown he struggles when he plays as many minutes as Jbo. For this reason Gio is considered a fringe top pairing dman. Trading Bouw and not replacing his minutes would devastate our defence. I would much rather move Gio over Bouw when you consider the return of moving Gio would be substantially higher and he would be easier to replace via FA (ie. Carle).
That makes good economical sense too. Don't sell low by trading Bouwmeester, yeat instead, sell high by trading Giordano. Carle would be expensive though. At least Giordano money.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
That makes good economical sense too. Don't sell low by trading Bouwmeester, yeat instead, sell high by trading Giordano. Carle would be expensive though. At least Giordano money.
Exactly, and I would be fine with paying Carle that to.

Think of it like this:

trading Gio = returning substantial assets (ie. Rattie, Cole).
sign Carle/Wideman (to replace Gio) ==> give no assets up in the process.

Even if we threw 5 million at either of those guys (which is an overpayment IMO), the extra 500k is worth it because we have added Rattie and Cole to our organization.

Gio is a character guy and he would be missed, but as much as I love him some of what he does can be replaced thru FA. We will not be signing Suter, so we would not be able to replace Bouwmeester via FA this offseason as he is a top pairing dman.

As of now our top 6 looks like this:

Butler Bouw
Gio Brodie
Smith Babchuk

By moving Gio and signing Carle it could look like this:

Butler Bouw
Carle Brodie
Smith Cole

Plus the thought of having Leach and Ramage on the way in a couple of years isn't to bad either.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Exactly, and I would be fine with paying Carle that to.

Think of it like this:

Even if we threw 5 million at either of those guys (which is an overpayment IMO), the extra 500k is worth it because we have added Rattie and Cole to our organization.

Gio is a character guy and he would be missed, but as much as I love him some of what he does can be replaced thru FA. We will not be signing Suter, so we would not be able to replace Bouwmeester via FA this offseason as he is a top pairing dman.

As of now our top 6 looks like this:

Butler Bouw
Gio Brodie
Smith Babchuk

By moving Gio and signing Carle it could look like this:

Butler Bouw
Carle Brodie
Smith Cole

Plus the thought of having Leach and Ramage on the way in a couple of years isn't to bad either.
Neither of those top 6s look good if we plan on making a run at the playoffs again. Our top six defence win have to improve if feaster wants this to be a playoff team.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

St. Louis doesn't need another offensive defenseman; they are looking for a defensive defenseman to play along side Pietrangelo.

Resign Jokinen and if that fails we can trade him. Look for another Hannan type signing for defense.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 06:09 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:

I'd much rather have Giordano over Carle or Wideman. Pass.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I'd much rather have Giordano over Carle or Wideman. Pass.
It's Carle/Wideman + A grade prospect instead of Gio. In that case, tougher choice.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:46 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
It's Carle/Wideman + A grade prospect instead of Gio. In that case, tougher choice.
Id be ok with this, but what are the realistic chances that Carle/Wideman actually sign here.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 12:53 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Id be ok with this, but what are the realistic chances that Carle/Wideman actually sign here.
Better question what are the chances giordano is the one to get traded this summer? Zero. This franchise will enter a full blown rebuild, which will not happen, before they even consider moving gio and even then I'm not sure they do. He is a great all around defenceman, one that cannot simply be replaced.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
St. Louis doesn't need another offensive defenseman; they are looking for a defensive defenseman to play along side Pietrangelo.

Resign Jokinen and if that fails we can trade him. Look for another Hannan type signing for defense.
I disagree, I think Gio would be the perfect partner for Petro. I think alot of Blues fans feel the same way to.

Old
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post

The Blues need a good LD to play with Pietrangelo period. He doesn't need to be a specific type......just better than Jackman, Colaiacovo, Russell...etc.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:26 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
The Blues need a good LD to play with Pietrangelo period. He doesn't need to be a specific type......just better than Jackman, Colaiacovo, Russell...etc.
Ok, so I have a crazy proposition:

Giordano, Babchuk (We aren't even using him), 2013 4th

for

Perron, Cole, Colaiacovo

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote