HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Tsn: Ovechkin/Semin Join Russia

Old
05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Canuck21t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Yeah, that's what we thought in 2010 too... and they lost to the underdogs in the final.

Anyways, I'm so impressed with their passion and willingness to play for their country after the second round. I wish that was the case with Canadian players too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg1010 View Post
Yeah i never get sidney crosby or Stamkos for sitting out rather than representing your country..and helping them win gold at any tournament, i mean to be selected to go there, i would be honored if i were in there shoes and selected to go
If the Canadian fans would stop saying they don't care about this tournament, maybe the players would be more willing to participate. As it stands, I can't blame the players saying no. Why bother when nobody cares at home?

All the years Canada had won Gold, did we ever had a parade in celebration of the victories? I don't think I ever saw one. When Russia wins, it's huge over there and people go crazy on the streets. All the reason for the Russian and other European players to participate.

I was disappointed in the past whenever a Canadian player said no, but after looking at the big picture, I blame the Canadian hockey fans instead.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:44 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
That's a fair question and I don't have an answer.

I wanted Washington to beat NY and I saw nothing from OV in game 7. On the 2nd NY goal, he sat on his butt (literally) while the Rangers put the game out of reach. I saw even less than nothing from Semin.

If I was running the Caps, I would have traded Semin for a strong leader (Nash/Brown?) long ago and made HIM the Captain of the Capitals. This would allow OV to concentrate on scoring.

There is a reason OV has never won anything in his career - other than a 2nd rate World Championship. If things don't change soon, he never will.

Edit: He did win a WJR's (or 2?). However, against a strong Canadian team in North Dakota, he was (again) non existent.
whatever don

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
And who do you have in Washington after Semin and OV? Backstom and then who? Chimera is going to win you the cup? It's a team full of plugs besides the top 3 guys.
It's actually amazing to think how far the team made it, with the big drop off after the 3.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:50 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
It's actually amazing to think how far the team made it, with the big drop off after the 3.
how about Green, Johanssen?

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:59 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Are all of your 6,000 posts that simple and empty? I guess "um" sums it up nicely. Oh well, maybe it is for the best.
Oh good lord, that's pretty damn thick coming from a guy who's got about 2000
Quote:
I agree with this ...
or
Quote:
Good post
type of posts on the forums.

You say you didn't like OV in game 7? That's fine but overall he played really hard in the playoffs so why are you trying to make it seem like a bad thing that he and Semin and coming over to the World Championships? The tournament is almost at the playoffs so those guys had to make a very quick decision.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:04 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
There is a reason OV has never won anything in his career - other than a 2nd rate World Championship. If things don't change soon, he never will.
Really? And what is that reason? Ray Bourque never won anything until he was over 40... what a ****ing loser.

Last edited by BobDobolina: 05-15-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old
05-15-2012, 02:11 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Really? And what is that reason? Ray Bourque never won anything until he was over 40... what a ****ing loser.
Yup, pretty much bourque was over rated his whole career and he only won that one riding avs coat tails.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:07 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
That's a fair question and I don't have an answer.

I wanted Washington to beat NY and I saw nothing from OV in game 7. On the 2nd NY goal, he sat on his butt (literally) while the Rangers put the game out of reach. I saw even less than nothing from Semin.

If I was running the Caps, I would have traded Semin for a strong leader (Nash/Brown?) long ago and made HIM the Captain of the Capitals. This would allow OV to concentrate on scoring.

Edit: He did win a WJR's (or 2?). However, against a strong Canadian team in North Dakota, he was (again) non existent.
Maybe Ovechkin can learn from Canada's favorite Alexei Kovalev on how to be a winner. He after all accomplished the sacred goal of obtaining a Stanley Cup Trophy. True great.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:11 AM
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
the sacred goal of obtaining a Stanley Cup Trophy
One man's gold is another man's trash

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:13 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Maybe Ovechkin can learn from Canada's favorite Alexei Kovalev on how to be a winner. He after all accomplished the sacred goal of obtaining a Stanley Cup Trophy. True great.
Olympic and WJC gold too. A legendary winner.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Den

I am not really sure what is all of this here. Let us have our men, and we will use them the way we find fit. And Canadians can do whatever they want with theirs.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:28 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Kimmo Porttila ‏ @KimmoPorttila
Kysyin äsken Datsjukilta, mitä Ovetchkin ja Semin tuovat joukkueeseen. "Varusteita ja mailoja". #owned #mm2012

Translate:
I just asked Datsyuk that what Ovetchkin and Semin will bring to the team. "Equipment and sticks".

FinRuutu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 05:14 AM
russianhockey

Alexander Syomin did not extends his contract and will be a Free Agent from the 1st July on.

source: http://allhockey.ru/news/123346/

russianhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
If I was running the Caps, I would have traded Semin for a strong leader (Nash...)
Oh, this is priceless. What exactly did Nash lead and where? Columbus to a single PO appearance and being broomed? Team Canada? In OG10 he made some sporadic flashes, but was far from being "a leader." He had a total of ONE better-than-average WHC (2007). Some leader...

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Kysyin äsken Datsjukilta, mitä Ovetchkin ja Semin tuovat joukkueeseen. "Varusteita ja mailoja". #owned #mm2012

Translate:
I just asked Datsyuk that what Ovetchkin and Semin will bring to the team. "Equipment and sticks".

Lol, nice.

The greatest thing Porttila has ever done.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Oh, this is priceless. What exactly did Nash lead and where? Columbus to a single PO appearance and being broomed? Team Canada? In OG10 he made some sporadic flashes, but was far from being "a leader." He had a total of ONE better-than-average WHC (2007). Some leader...
Not that it changes your point, but Nash has had a few great stints at the World Championships and at the OG2010 his line with Richards and Toews was the best. It's ironic, but I think that Nash is like the typical Russian superstar (at least the image we have of them); he tends to play better internationally, kind of like Semin. He's a talented player who hasn't quite fulfilled expectations in the NHL.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Systemfail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post

Translate:

Dats probably actually meant: they will bring a loss in the quarterfinal or semifinal (as usual)

Systemfail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
I have a lot of respect for any player playing for his country.

I find Crosby's excuse lame. This is the second time he has had an excuse. If the Pens had beaten the Flyers he would still be playing.

Not sure about other countries but I know Hockey Canada treats the players first class all the way, even flying out their families. You can't give 2 frigging weeks to your country?

In fact I would go so far to say if a player turns down his country he doesn't play for them in the Olympics.

Just my opinion, don't beat me up

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Eh who wouldn't trade Semin for Nash? The trouble is that Columbus wouldn't take just Semin for Nash and throw in a few 1st rounders and/or another quality player and prospects it's a different proposition.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Drij

Nothing like kicking 2 players off the team for 2 new guys.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
He was responding to one of your posts, Halpysback?

If you (all) want to delude yourselves regarding OV/Semins play against NY, feel free. The freefall in OV's career will continue. Semin needs to find work in the KHL where 2-way hockey is not a priority.
Funny, up until game 7 everyone was lauding Ovechkin's and Semin's effort. Once the caps lose game 7 by one goal all of a sudden everyone does a complete 180. How soon until you're trashing Holtby as well? Oh wait, he's not Russian? Nevermind

And yeah, Semin doesn't play two way hockey? Maybe try knowing what you're talking about? Like, at all? Even the tiniest bit? Nah, probably too much to ask in your case

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Eh who wouldn't trade Semin for Nash? The trouble is that Columbus wouldn't take just Semin for Nash and throw in a few 1st rounders and/or another quality player and prospects it's a different proposition.
7.8 million for a 60-70 point player who has led his team to a first round sweep once?

Wait, he's Canadian? Sign me up!

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:12 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
how about Green, Johanssen?
green hasnt been good for awile, picked it up at the end a little. and johansson is horrible, soft as butter. you should have said carlson and alzner

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Are you crazy?
Nash has been on decline for years, he is on a long expensive contract and Semin scored at nearly same rate on a 2nd line.
Washington may give some overpaid useless scrub if they're generous in this trade.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
2005 9g + 6a=15
2008 6g + 7a=13 Tournament All-Star

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote