HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why is MSG so poorly lit?

Old
05-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Why is MSG so poorly lit?

I understand it's an older building, but does that negate the possibility of hanging some modern lighting? Seriously, the corners of the rink are shadowy and frightening!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:41 AM
ecemleafs

so other goalies have a problem seeing the puck duh...

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I understand it's an older building, but does that negate the possibility of hanging some modern lighting? Seriously, the corners of the rink are shadowy and frightening!
1. By design. It's supposed to act like a Broadway play - all the lights on the stage. Very little light elsewhere.
2. Old lighting system which is due to be replaced this year or next with our renovation.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

frightening you say? You get scared that easily? haha

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Dangleberry

It looks way darker on tv than when you're actually there. Or maybe I'm just used to it. The Lakers copied the whole Broadway lighting scheme from the Knicks.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:47 AM
MartysBackup
Who wants Wawa?

The light bulb budget was blown on post-game streamers.

MartysBackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:50 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Itentionally done to make it harder for the opposing goaltender, that combined with intentionally keeping the ice terribad is the reason the Rangers have been so succesful this season, throw in the super secret advanced skates Dolan bought that allows them and them alone to overcome the bad ice at MSG and you wind up with being #1 in the EC.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBackup View Post
The light bulb budget was blown on post-game streamers.
Pfft...Party City actually paid us for the streamer deal.

You think Dolan wouldn't to to make a buck on that? Cmon

Dolan has pure money signs in his eyes this postseason. Guy is in heaven

Old
TonySCV
One More Time

MSG has always had **** for visuals. The crowd is in the dark and away from a lot of the glass (people > steel safety bars). Lighting for the ice isn't great in the end zones either.

The in-person atmosphere is a whole different story, but they need that lighting upgrade badly.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLinePass View Post
It looks way darker on tv than when you're actually there. Or maybe I'm just used to it. The Lakers copied the whole Broadway lighting scheme from the Knicks.
Really, it's not even that dark in the stands when you are there - though the new black chairs don't help.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
The glitter on Hank's helmet accounts for approximately 35% of the rinks illumination.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

Why the **** do you want to see the stands so much when you're watching the game? The obsession some people around here with what's going on everywhere but the ice is amazing. The ice is well lit, the stands are not. That's by design. Better question is why do your ****** teams like to light up the stands so much?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:59 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

MSG isnt that great of an arena...yeah yeah "the worlds most famous", but thats bc its the worlds oldest and in the best city in the world. The lighting and sightlines are horrible in there. Nobody can argue with the playoff atmosphere, but thats not news bc every place goes nuts then. Ill wait til all the renovations are done and check it out again, but ive always felt the main part of a hockey game was being able to see it, and theres a LOT of seats at msg where you miss things.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:02 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
Really, it's not even that dark in the stands when you are there - though the new black chairs don't help.
They're Navy blue.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
MSG isnt that great of an arena...yeah yeah "the worlds most famous", but thats bc its the worlds oldest and in the best city in the world. The lighting and sightlines are horrible in there. Nobody can argue with the playoff atmosphere, but thats not news bc every place goes nuts then. Ill wait til all the renovations are done and check it out again, but ive always felt the main part of a hockey game was being able to see it, and theres a LOT of seats at msg where you miss things.
As a Ranger fan, I think this is a really fair argument.

I always wondered why they made the building circular. Doesn't really jive with a hockey rink or basketball court. That in itself makes sightlines weird.

As you said though, the renovation *should* take care of 90% of the problems.

Old
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Why the **** do you want to see the stands so much when you're watching the game? The obsession some people around here with what's going on everywhere but the ice is amazing. The ice is well lit, the stands are not. That's by design. Better question is why do your ****** teams like to light up the stands so much?
Jeez. Some people just prefer the aesthetics of an arena like Phoenix or Philly that's brightly lit with lots bright color in the stands. I think it adds to the overall atmosphere and spectacle.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:04 AM
ssault
SW BROONS

Quote:
Good attitude.

The ice has dark spots caused by the lighting (corners specifically) - Not exactly breaking news. Just old equipment which is in the process of being renovated.

ssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:05 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Why the **** do you want to see the stands so much when you're watching the game?
To actually be able to see see fellow Ranger fans celebrating. To see something other than security guards and the ice crew standing by the glass.

It's a fishbowl on television. I realize the building has a storied history, but that doesn't absolve it from looking like crap on TV. Handrails and walking platforms should not have front row seats to the ice.

As others have said, hopefully the renovations will address the problems for good. It IS a storied building with a great atmosphere... it'd be nice to see it!

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
To actually be able to see see fellow Ranger fans celebrating. To see something other than security guards and the ice crew standing by the glass.

It's a fishbowl on television. I realize the building has a storied history, but that doesn't absolve it from looking like crap on TV. Handrails and walking platforms should not have front row seats to the ice.

As others have said, hopefully the renovations will address the problems for good. It IS a storied building with a great atmosphere... it'd be nice to see it!
The handrails and walking platforms aren't going away. They were actually a part of the renovation. That portion is finished.

MSG just decided to take seats off the glass and instead put walkways for people sitting in ice-level suites. So those people standing up against the glass are actually suite ticket holders. I much prefer the aesthetics of normal seats on the glass, but the ice-level suites are much more profitable for the organization. You see the same stuff in brand new football stadiums around the NFL, and chances are other NHL teams will do the same when new arenas are built. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:12 AM
kook10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Jeez. Some people just prefer the aesthetics of an arena like Phoenix or Philly that's brightly lit with lots bright color in the stands. I think it adds to the overall atmosphere and spectacle.
I think that is a new arena thing though. AFAICR It was only ~15 years ago that some places started keeping house lights on during the action. In the old rinks they were always dimmed for game play. I remembered the big difference it made when the Staples Center opened - it was a big change from the Forum. I always figured it was because LA sportsgoers fancied themselves more than the game.

kook10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
They're Navy blue.
Sorry didn't get to see them up close. Thank you absurd ticket prices.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:19 AM
fastvoteman

I've been to plenty of games at Rogers arena and I finally got the chance to attend a game at MSG this year. I would certainly say the lighting at MSG provides a much better experience. It is like a broadway play as one poster mentioned. It is also easier to focus on what is going on on the ice than what is going on in the stands. there is no need to light up the stands.

fastvoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Exactly as other posters have said, for effect. The lighting at MSG is supposed to spotlight the action on the ice/court like a Broadway production.

Same thing could be said for the Great Western Forum in LA when the Kings & Lakers were playing there prior to 2000. Both the Garden and Forum had similar designs (e.g. circular seating layout, lighting, ice-level concourse).

If I remember clearly, the owner of the Kings/Lakers when the Forum was first built wanted the Forum's aesthetics to resemble the Colosseum in ancient Rome. Now if you visualize NHL hockey as the modern incarnation of the gladiatorial spectacles...

(EDIT: I just noticed that Madison Square Garden was reportedly purchasing the Forum in Inglewood, CA in 2010 for refurbishing! Link here: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec...-sale-20101210)

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
1. By design. It's supposed to act like a Broadway play - all the lights on the stage. Very little light elsewhere.
I love arenas that do this - I'll always remember the first time I went to the Bell Centre. You walk into the seating bowl from the concourse, and it's pretty dark until you're within view of the ice, and you damn near need sunglasses to look at it.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:27 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Did an Isles fan just critique an arena?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote