HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joe Morrow Vs Martin Gernat

Old
05-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
The stats would state other wise of which is the more rounded D. Gernat just flashes a better skill potential. Please prove other wise!
We get it. You like to judge off score sheets.

Remember when Jeff Schultz was +50?

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:04 AM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
We get it. You like to judge off score sheets.

Remember when Jeff Schultz was +50?
What does that have to do with anything? Gernat has also looked more impressive these playoffs.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Sethis

I was begging the hockey gods to let one of Morrow or Klefbom fall to the Oilers second pick last year, then give them the good sense to take one. Both prospects are great.

Gernat's been a very, very pleasant surprise, but it's still far too early to make this comparison. Tough to say who's got the higher ceiling, Gernat's got a LOT of good things going for him if he can put it all together. But that's a huge 'if', and Morrows already put everything together. He plays a pro-style game, while Gernat's figuring it out still.

As for the other comparison, between Gernat and Marincin, I don't think their games mirror each other quite as well as you might think. Their skillsets do: big, lanky Slovaks with good offensive instincts and excellent skating. Their approaches are different from the (admittedly limited) times I've seen them though. Marincin is cut from the Eric Brewer cloth, safe, physical when needed, solid defensively, and above average offensively without putting his neck on the line too much. Gernat is much more of a high-risk, high-reward guy with excellent physical tools. Think anywhere from Paul Mara to Tom Poti to (if everything breaks right) Sandis Ozolinsh. If he makes the team I expect polarizing opinions and the occasional heart attack. Granted, I haven't seen him much in these playoffs so if his defensive game is coming along there that's great.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilyJet View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Gernat has also looked more impressive these playoffs.
My point is its easy to just look at stats and judge. The posted I quoted keeps referring to the stat sheet.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:11 PM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Was really, really hoping that Morrow was going to be the Sens pick at 24. Too bad he went 23rd...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Cam98

gernat is a beast

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I'm an Oiler fan and as much as I'd like Gernat to be better than Morrow, I'm gonna trust Renegade Styling's opinion. He's been great with that stuff in the past.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Anyone watch game 6 of the WHL finals? There they would've seen a dominant game by Joe Morrow. He was all over the ice and was a huge reason why the Winterhawks ended up winning that game. He has the ability to take over a game from the blueline.

I like Gernat, but he just doesn't have that ability like Morrow does.

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:31 AM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Anyone watch game 6 of the WHL finals? There they would've seen a dominant game by Joe Morrow. He was all over the ice and was a huge reason why the Winterhawks ended up winning that game. He has the ability to take over a game from the blueline.

I like Gernat, but he just doesn't have that ability like Morrow does.
I agree with you RE: Game 6, but Morrow cost them game 7 by being out of position. I fault him for 2 goals.

Still, he's going to be a player. I remember Brayden Coburn looked completely lost his first few years in the NHL, and he's come around.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
I agree with you RE: Game 6, but Morrow cost them game 7 by being out of position. I fault him for 2 goals.

Still, he's going to be a player. I remember Brayden Coburn looked completely lost his first few years in the NHL, and he's come around.
Gernat has a better chance of exceeding expectations only because where he was drafted This is his first year in North America so I think a credit has to be given for the language/culture shock, and the style/schedule he's had to adjust to.

That said....I'd still take Morrow. Way safer on becoming an NHL'er period. Gernat has a lot of deficiencies in his game(boom or bust I believe is the term).

I think this is a fair "vs." thread since they just went 7 games head to head and had great post draft seasons

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:23 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Looks like Gernat's team goes to the Mem cup, and Morrow goes home with nothing. All these extra games will really help Gernat develop, not to mention he will have a winning attitude.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:47 AM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Gernat has a better chance of exceeding expectations only because where he was drafted This is his first year in North America so I think a credit has to be given for the language/culture shock, and the style/schedule he's had to adjust to.

That said....I'd still take Morrow. Way safer on becoming an NHL'er period. Gernat has a lot of deficiencies in his game(boom or bust I believe is the term).

I think this is a fair "vs." thread since they just went 7 games head to head and had great post draft seasons
No I agree, it is a good thread to have. People say it isn't fair to Gernat with this comparison; I almost wonder if this thread isn't fair to Morrow?

I think Gernat was more valuable to his team than Morrow was to his this playoffs. (But even there it's probably close.) I actually would like to see a thread comparing Pulliot (probably misspelled his name) to Morrow. I thought Pulliot was actually better than Morrow was this playoffs, and could be better long term.

I agree with Renegade (and probably everyone else in this thread) that Morrow is probably the better long term option, but the middle of the first round d-men scare me. I remember when Nick Petrecki was drafted I thought he was going to be amazing. (maybe he still can be, I haven't followed him since being drafted.)

In watching the WHL playoffs the only defencemen that really ever wowed me was Pullock on the wheat kings. Morgan Reilly didn't overly impress me, nor did Reinheart. Morrow and Pulliot seem no better than Mark Pysyk (who is still a really good defencemen). Gernat impressed me with his offensive play, but defensively he never really had to make smart plays with the system the oil kings play. (They are always skating and providing an easy outlet pass). With regards to Reilly and Dumba I would accuse them of trying to do too much and not using their teammates effectively. I actually thought they made their teammates worse at the expense of trying to make themselves look better. Selfish hockey. Where as with Pullock, I thought he made everyone of his linemates better, while still standing out. I'll be curious to see how he stacks up against Jones next year. (sorry to hijack the thread, it just came to mind in comparing d-men. Thinking about Morrow and Gernat, in my head I ended up comparing both to Pullock as he has gernat's offensive flair, is better defensively than both players, and is a better puck mover than morrow, and seemed as physical.)

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote