HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A New Jersey vs. Phoenix Final.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
NJD21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
Most of your comments suggest otherwise.
He's all about the Memorial Cup so he obviously knows a lot about hockey

NJD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
I love how everyone thinks I'm jealous

I called the Jets missing the playoffs from the very beginning of the year. In fact, I predicted that they'd be even worse than they were.

I also just watched my hometown junior team win the WHL Championship. I have nothing to be jealous about. I love that my favorite team is exciting, even if they do suck. I've supported a team that's been mediocre at best since 1999. You get used to losing, and it stops bothering you after a while.

However, here's a fact:

Memorial Cup > Stanley Cup this year. Can't wait to watch Edmonton, Saint John, London and Shawinigan put on a show.
Wow...you must be the next Nostradamus to have called that. Or maybe it was the intense research you put into hockey that makes you smarter than the other 99% of hockey fans.

Fact is, you have no real evidence you can provide any one here to support what you're saying and your coming off as arrogant. I certainly dont think its a jealousy thing i think its a boredom and self-entitlement thing. Your "Canadian north" and you dont believe hockey belongs in the south west or any warmer client regions. You're team isnt in the playoffs so YOU have no particular interest in the Stanley Cup. Plenty of other hockey fans who arent in the cup do so let it go. You're not interested, then dont watch, its that simple.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 06:00 PM
The Big Giant Head

NBC Sports Network says Game 1 of Kings-Coyotes delivered record ratings in LA and PHX. NBCSN was the highest-rated cable network in both

http://twitter.com/#!/helenenothelen...69217406087168

Imagine LA/NYR or PHX/NYR?

Old
05-14-2012, 07:15 PM
towely

vCash: 1050
Quote:

You're a funny one!

I know a lot about hockey. I'd say that I know more about the game than 99% of people. I've watched this game excessively for as long as I can remember. I've spent countless hours learning about player development, coaching styles, all the rules, the CBA, etc, etc.

The fact is, New Jersey had a following in the early 2000's and late 1990's, but that has long died out. Phoenix and Los Angeles have two of the lowest followings in the league, and Jersey isn't far behind.

This is BAD for the sport. What hockey needed was the opposite of what happened. A Nashville vs Philadelphia final would have been fantastic. The Predators have grown to have a fairly strong following, especially with most Thrashers fans having moved to the Preds. Philadelphia is one of the most popular teams in the league.

Ideally, though, the BEST finals for the league would be Toronto or Montreal vs Vancouver or Edmonton.
as far as followings go the devils could win 10 cups and it won't matter because there are too many ranger fans and the cup years in my opinion were bleak in comparison to other teams.
i am not saying the devils have bad fans or nothing because all the devil fans i know are dedicated and know the team and the sport it's simply that there are not enough of them.
i live in jersey and i know they have tried and it is not for lack of effort it is just that there are only so many hockey fans in jersey and a lot of them were ranger fans first.

it is tough to compete in a area that has ranger fans, islander fans then you got philly fans in south jersey plus you got buffalo and then not too far out of the area you got pit,bos,wash.

it is a lot of hockey in a small region compared to out west.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Deuce Awesome

Ive lost interest in the playoffs entirely after Philly was eliminated, but I do keep an ear to the LA games. I love how they reunited Richards and Carter, and Dustin Brown is playing like a man posessed.

Rooting for them, and I am outside of LA. Outside of the continental US actually.

Can't stand the Rangers, I wish Slats would light that cigar and that damn goal song makes me want to punch someone.

Phoenix I know nothing about.

NJ, well, beat the Rangers.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 05:11 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Kings/Rangers or I'm not watching either
same here. I'm not watching any of the conference finals either.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
same here. I'm not watching any of the conference finals either.
Cool. You're a fan?

Bondys Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:59 AM
TimeParadox*

Just absurd.
NJ needs to pass by King Henrik.

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:01 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

This thread is comedy gold.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
TimeParadox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
hate to break it to ya, but the Devils are in the same market as the Rangers.

in 03 the Ducks-Devils final was the highest of all time, pretty sure it still isn't but it was at one point. Plus if the Devils make it Ranger fans will still watch and root for the yotes, and vice versa
I don't think the Devils are in the same market. A cursory glance at the NY papers will prove it.
The Rangers are the market, the NY market that is.

TimeParadox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgame View Post
I don't think the Devils are in the same market. A cursory glance at the NY papers will prove it.
The Rangers are the market, the NY market that is.
This is false. Devils play 8 miles away from Manhattan. 1 train stop away from MSG. 10 min car ride.

The papers surely include the Devils, they just cover the Rangers slightly more because they have been around longer and have more fans. But believe me, when the Rangers do poorly & the Devils play well, the Rangers are quickly forgotten, like those 8 or so years they missed the playoffs.

Contrary to popular belief the Devils have a decent amount of fans. It's great they missed the playoffs last year because the NYC area took the excellence of the Devils for granted. Now people are really showing up, and it's it's great for the franchise.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
Your "Canadian north" and you dont believe hockey belongs in the south west or any warmer client regions. You're team isnt in the playoffs so YOU have no particular interest in the Stanley Cup. Plenty of other hockey fans who arent in the cup do so let it go. You're not interested, then dont watch, its that simple.
I ignored the rest of your ridiculous post because I've already responded to the exact same trash before, but this one got me.

Firstly, Canadian North is the name of the airline that I worked for at the time that I last changed my name. Secondly, I definitely think LA deserves to have a hockey team. Same goes for San Jose and Anaheim. All three cities do a great job of supporting their teams. All I'm stating is the simple fact that, outside of California, those teams are entirely irrelevant. How many Kings fans would you find in Vancouver? How about Toronto? Montreal? New York? Boston? Little to none. As for Phoenix, the numbers speak for themselves. There aren't even a decent amount of fans in Arizona, let alone anywhere else in the world. As for Jersey, one poster explained it earlier. It's a saturated market. With the Rangers, an original six team with the kind of history that they have, being so close to the Devils, it's hard for them to draw a strong fan base. In addition to that, the Islanders, Bruins, Sabres...even the Flyers and Penguins aren't very far from New Jersey.

The Rangers are the only team left with a strong fanbase throughout North America and Europe. Original six team, one of the most wealthy teams in the NHL, they play at MSG, they have this habit of signing everybody's favorite player at some point, etc.

Anyways, I think I'm through with arguing the same points over and over. You folks enjoy the boring hockey, if the Kings and Coyotes style can even be considered "hockey". I'll spend the next couple of weeks watching good hockey

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Los Angeles is a nothing team. Nobody outside of Los Angeles gives a damn about them. Honestly? I don't think most people would even notice if they disappeared.

Simple fact. The Kings are one of the most irrelevant franchises in pro sports.
Pittsburgh Pirates
Baltimore Orioles
Seattle Mariners
Kansas City Royals
Charlotte Bobcats
Washington Wizards
Sacramento Kings
Cleveland Cavs (post-Lebron)
Golden State Warriors
Jackonville Jaguars
Cleveland Browns
Buffalo Bills
NY Islanders
Columbus Blue Jackets

When I think of "irrelevant" those are the teams I think of. I don't think the Kings are even close to any of those teams.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:27 AM
donkers*

Quote:
I ignored the rest of your ridiculous post because I've already responded to the exact same trash before, but this one got me.

Firstly, Canadian North is the name of the airline that I worked for at the time that I last changed my name. Secondly, I definitely think LA deserves to have a hockey team. Same goes for San Jose and Anaheim. All three cities do a great job of supporting their teams. All I'm stating is the simple fact that, outside of California, those teams are entirely irrelevant. How many Kings fans would you find in Vancouver? How about Toronto? Montreal? New York? Boston? Little to none. As for Phoenix, the numbers speak for themselves. There aren't even a decent amount of fans in Arizona, let alone anywhere else in the world. As for Jersey, one poster explained it earlier. It's a saturated market. With the Rangers, an original six team with the kind of history that they have, being so close to the Devils, it's hard for them to draw a strong fan base. In addition to that, the Islanders, Bruins, Sabres...even the Flyers and Penguins aren't very far from New Jersey.

The Rangers are the only team left with a strong fanbase throughout North America and Europe. Original six team, one of the most wealthy teams in the NHL, they play at MSG, they have this habit of signing everybody's favorite player at some point, etc.

Anyways, I think I'm through with arguing the same points over and over. You folks enjoy the boring hockey, if the Kings and Coyotes style can even be considered "hockey". I'll spend the next couple of weeks watching good hockey
That's a pretty bold assumption. Care to back it up with any sort of facts? Or are you one of those people who make up numbers to support their arguments.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:

casual fan = "I'll watch the NHL only when I approve of the teams playing and those teams have enough fans."

Good for you.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:03 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
And what star players on the NYR or the LAK is this hypothetical hayseed going to recognize and tune in for?
Know what, this is the reason people think New Yorkers are arrogant and self absorbed, hell the Devils play IN the New York Metro Area, maybe instead of crapping on them every chance the local media could try building them up.
The Rangers dont need to appeal or be recognizable to anybody outside of New York. Their local numbers alone make them desirable to ad execs.

Same with the Kings.

The Devils dont draw locally as well as the NYR or LAK. They dont draw nationally as well as the NYR or LAK.

If the Devils had a recognizable star like a Crosby or Ovechkin, it might help.

It has nothing to do with arrogance. It's business. Simply stating that a NY-LA SCF would generate more buzz and money isnt being arrogant.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:12 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
And Susie NoName in Bumble****, Middle America cares about Stu Bickel cause it says New York on his jersey? No, she doesn't.

Of all the dozens of people I see around town and on facebook bangwagoning for the Rangers this year, not a single one of them can attest to watching a second of the postseason this year. They'll boast that Rangers logo as loud and hard as they can, but they don't give enough of a damn to actually tune in. Save for those that happened to be in a bar at the same time they chose to broadcast a game.

Those with the intention to watch the Stanley Cup Final will do so whether it includes the superstar Rangers or the lowly Coyotes.

Just because the teams are based in New York or Los Angeles will not inspire any average joe to tune into NBCSN to watch a hockey game than if a smaller market appeared.
It's HOCKEY, we're all irrelevant in this game.
The NHL doesnt want to appeal to its dedicated fanbase. They dont even want to appeal to the casual fan. They want to be appealing to the fence sitters, especially fence sitters in smaller markets. New York vs LA is a geographically-appealing sell for broadcasters.

NBC's money makers isnt sports. It's prime time shows. They would be more inclined to use prime time ad space to pump up a NY-LA SCF, than use that ad space for a NJD-PHX SCF.

Again, the Rangers dont need to appeal to anybody outside of NYC-metro because their local ratings not only beat the Devils 100 times out of 100, but make up for whatever national lack of interest there may be.

Devils fans need to get over their insecurities when it comes to off-ice stuff.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:14 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I think it's funny that he holds the Rangers up as the only example of a team not playing boring hockey.

If you want exciting hockey in the Final, you want LA-NJ. Simple as that.
NBC and their sponsors could care less about the quality of hockey. Simple as that.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
DickSmehlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
NBC and their sponsors could care less about the quality of hockey. Simple as that.
I think they care about quality of hockey. An exciting series would certainly generate more buzz and more viewers, it's just big markets > quality of hockey.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:00 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:

Maybe because all those cities already have teams with their own fans? And just to go a step further, i would say every (not an over exaggeration) away game the Kings played (i can only speak for them), the kings broadcasts always single out and show Kings fans in opposing teams arenas during intermissions so there that is.. you're basically just talking out of your ass. I'll admit the following isnt as big as say Detroit...but there arent meany teams in the NHL that have the same fan base as Detriot...Their the NY Yankee's of hockey.

Us less educated hockey fans will enjoy watching Stanley Cup "hockey"... And you have fun with the Memorial cup, you wont be missed

Last edited by The Big Giant Head: 05-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post
I think they care about quality of hockey. An exciting series would certainly generate more buzz and more viewers, it's just big markets > quality of hockey.
There's no real way to prove that fans will start watching a series because they hear it's "exciting"

Chances are, fence-sitting fans will tune in if and only if they are bored with other sports, or other teams they root for in other sports are losing/eliminated.