HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
ban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
My question is how will they change the sightlines/make the upper bowl steeper without actually shifting a lot of concrete around. I'm not a construction person or engineer, so I know very little on the issue, but common sense leads me to believe it's close to impossible without making a wholesale change in the concrete structure.

I've seen the cross section view comparing the old sightlines/steepness of the upper level with the new. It's a pretty drastic shift.

They can just build up on top of what is already there.

I think that is what he is saying.

Take any arena, you can add 3 ft to first row, 4 to second and so forth, and right there you have changed the angle/sight lines. But at MSG they are also moving forward over current walkway. So they will be starting at edge of walkway, with luxury boxes underneath (sitting directly on current walkway), then build up ON TOP OF current structure, making steeper as you go. No need to remove current structure, just cover it up, using it as a foundation for new seats.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:39 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban View Post
They can just build up on top of what is already there.

I think that is what he is saying.

Take any arena, you can add 3 ft to first row, 4 to second and so forth, and right there you have changed the angle/sight lines. But at MSG they are also moving forward over current walkway. So they will be starting at edge of walkway, with luxury boxes underneath (sitting directly on current walkway), then build up ON TOP OF current structure, making steeper as you go. No need to remove current structure, just cover it up, using it as a foundation for new seats.
In that case, where are you going to get the additional room for new, much wider concourses? They won't just form out of thin air. You need to carve them out of the underside of the existing concrete structure. So in that case, you're taking some out of the bottom for the concourses and adding some new to the top for new sightlines.

It's not a complete overhaul, but still a lot of concrete work - both removal and new addition. In terms of actual structural change, this is easily the most complicated and shape-shifting of the three phases.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:49 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's not a complete overhaul, but still a lot of concrete work - both removal and new addition. In terms of actual structural change, this is easily the most complicated and shape-shifting of the three phases.
Yeah, there will have to be some demo of the current 300s, and lots of demo from the sideline 400s. Those are getting obliterated for sure

Old
05-14-2012, 02:02 PM
ban

Quote:
In that case, where are you going to get the additional room for new, much wider concourses? They won't just form out of thin air. You need to carve them out of the underside of the existing concrete structure. So in that case, you're taking some out of the bottom for the concourses and adding some new to the top for new sightlines.

Not an architect, and no inside knowledge, but there has to be a lot of "wasted" space in current set up. New arrangement will have entrances for 300 up at least one level (entering bowl mid way, instead of at front), so I think they will just be able to use a lot more of what they have (with weight bearing structure intact) for wider concourses.

Any way they do it, I am sure they have a plan, and I am psyched! Moving from Row B (where sight line is not the best when Row A leans forward on wall or 200's stand up) to Row 3! My personal viewing will be greatly improved!

Was talking to a Union construction guy, and he said prior to game 7 they had meeting (not about MSG, just general Union meeting) and they (union) were rooting for Rangers to lose so the jobs can start. The plan was for them to be fully working by now. Do not know if new plan is more workers to expedite, later start of home season, or leaving things unfinished, but it is a concern.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
they (union) were rooting for Rangers to lose so the jobs can start. The plan was for them to be fully working by now.
Who hired local-Newark on this job, anyways?

Old
05-14-2012, 02:09 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
http://www.progressiverailroading.co...Skanska--30987

Some information on the Penn Station project.
So Penn will basically double in size in a few years.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
So Penn will basically double in size in a few years.
isn't the post office building going to be only for amtrak and NJT?

Old
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
nyrmetros

Curious to see if the lirr gets more leg room there.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:08 AM
nyrmetros

Any renovation updates from last night?

Old
05-15-2012, 10:12 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Any renovation updates from last night?
Yes, the Devils were demolished

Old
05-15-2012, 10:30 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Yes, the Devils were demolished
Hank was a concrete wall

Old
05-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I see what he is saying about matching up to the new 300s that were in place this year, but the entire 300s and 400s will have to be demolished because the sightlines have to change. New concrete is going to have to be poured just like it was in the lower bowl and new 300s last summer. It is going to matchup with the new 300s that are currently on the goal ends, but the sides will need drastic change

Old
05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Happy holidays! :)

Whatever they can do on the slope front, they should... Because people still insist on standing up and entering/exiting during play. And it feels worse than it's ever been.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Whatever they can do on the slope front, they should... Because people still insist on standing up and entering/exiting during play. And it feels worse than it's ever been.
Yeah, it is. I once bought tickets from broadwayblue in his seats in the 300's and people just walk back and forth over there right in front. The only time I get out of my seat is before and after the game. During the 2.5 hours it takes to play a hockey game (including intermission), I'm always in my seat.

05-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

As an aside:

Not happy with Meyers parking. This is the lot that the Parking Discount Coupons are for. $10.00 off for STH's.

OK, I get that they raise their rates for the playoffs, that's par for the course, but last night those SOB's tried to shake me down for an extra $20.00 for "valet" service. I will most definitely be complaining to MSG, The Rangers management as well as the City of New York. Pure gouging by the attendants.

Here's the kicker, and why I'm so PO'ed: While I was trying to get the straight story from the attendant about whether there were any spaces left on upper floors ( I was on 2 at the time), he's trying to tell me in very vague terms that I have to do valet for $20.00, and guy comes walking along and indicates he's leaving, and I could have the space right in front of me. So I tell the attendant "never mind, I've got a space" and he gets nasty with me and threatens to block me in if I park in that space. Now mind you, I am with my 9yo son, and it's about 7:40PM. Well I told him to **** off, I wasn't paying an extra $20.00 when I have a space.

The problem is, now at the game I gotta worry about this jackass doing something to my car?!! WTF is going on over there?

Well I was able to calm my nerves and enjoy a great game and when we came out, my car was not blocked and everything was OK. So it was a pure shakedown by the attendant to get $20.00 out of me.

They have not heard the end of this.

05-15-2012, 01:43 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Well I was able to calm my nerves and enjoy a great game and when we came out, my car was not blocked and everything was OK. So it was a pure shakedown by the attendant to get $20.00 out of me.

They have not heard the end of this.
Next time call the cops, they're all Ranger fans

Old
05-15-2012, 03:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
I see what he is saying about matching up to the new 300s that were in place this year, but the entire 300s and 400s will have to be demolished because the sightlines have to change. New concrete is going to have to be poured just like it was in the lower bowl and new 300s last summer. It is going to matchup with the new 300s that are currently on the goal ends, but the sides will need drastic change
The new 300s at either end are built up on existing concrete. And there wasn't that much concrete poured this summer.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The new 300s at either end are built up on existing concrete. And there wasn't that much concrete poured this summer.
partially built up yes. there was plenty of new steel and concrete poured to build that though.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Yeah, it is. I once bought tickets from broadwayblue in his seats in the 300's and people just walk back and forth over there right in front. The only time I get out of my seat is before and after the game. During the 2.5 hours it takes to play a hockey game (including intermission), I'm always in my seat.
Yeah, I was in my seats the past two games and was talking about the renovations with the people I brought. These seats will be a lot better next season once they eliminate the walkway and raise/move forward the seats. We'll have less distractions and a better line of site and view of the near corner which is hard to see currently.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, I was in my seats the past two games and was talking about the renovations with the people I brought. These seats will be a lot better next season once they eliminate the walkway and raise/move forward the seats. We'll have less distractions and a better line of site and view of the near corner which is hard to see currently.
and you're going to pay through the nose for it too

Old
05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
and you're going to pay through the nose for it too
Nope...only $4 more per ticket. Actually the best value (as far as an annual increase is concerned) for my tenure as a subscriber...not counting the 10% decrease after Dolan's guarantee.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Did anyone notice last night half of the West Balcony was empty? Maybe it was shut down for something renovation related?

05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Did anyone notice last night half of the West Balcony was empty? Maybe it was shut down for something renovation related?
Was gonna comment on this and I believe the reason is that they reserved it for more press. I read the Devils did the same thing in 226 at the Rock for this round.

05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Was gonna comment on this and I believe the reason is that they reserved it for more press. I read the Devils did the same thing in 226 at the Rock for this round.
asked an usher and it was infact for the press

Old
05-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Was talking to a Union construction guy, and he said prior to game 7 they had meeting (not about MSG, just general Union meeting) and they (union) were rooting for Rangers to lose so the jobs can start. The plan was for them to be fully working by now. Do not know if new plan is more workers to expedite, later start of home season, or leaving things unfinished, but it is a concern.
This is cute.

Not sure what idiot you talked to but this makes no sense. You know there are different trades its not just "union construction" guys right?

Im a union Ironworker and a good amount of my friends were on the phase 1 renovation at msg and trust me not one of them gives a **** if the job starts sooner or later. If they are Ranger fans they want them to win and dont care about that. You act like the people who planned the job didnt count on this possibility? If they didnt they are morons and shouldnt be planning jobs.

Closed Thread