HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Almost Traded Dustin Brown

Old
05-15-2012, 09:52 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Post trade deadline Dustin Brown is like a completely different player than the one they had from October through February. It's like they traded that underwhelming Brown and acquired Wendel Clark.
Well put.

I personally don't buy the idea of DL trading Brown. I do think he offered him around with the notion that if someone dramatically overpaid to get him, DL would consider it, but I think DL was more interested in lketting the rumours out and hoping it would lite a fire under Brown's ass. We heard about the Carter/Nash talks for weeks, but Brown's name only came up right after we traded for Carter, just a few days before the deadline. It was immediate, intense and likely a shocker to Brown.

I imagine this off-season DL or DS will have a discussion with Brown about it and point out that there's no reason he can't play like this all the time, not just after his time in LA is possibly in jeopardy. Hopefully this lits a permanent fire under Brown.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Kingurentai

tldr all the responses, but if it were true I'm ok with it. As great as DB is playing right now, he needed that swift kick in the a** around the deadline.

As long as we get the end result we want is all that matters, and we got it tenfold.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
No, nothing is out of context. You agreed to the trade I posted.
Wow. In my post you re posted where do I agree to trading Brown? I said for the Kings to trade Brown it'd have to be Okposo and Nino or they wouldn't even listen. No where is there an agreement.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

The title of this thread should be : Dean Lombardi is a ****ing genius.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:17 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
Dustin Brown being traded would have been a kick in the balls...it would have been Luc being traded all over again for me. I dont know if i would be as excited as i am now for the Kings to be doing what they are if Brown wasnt leading the way.

This whole situation right now is just perfect, i couldnt be any happier or excited.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Clowe Me

Dean Lombardi offered the Sharks Brown, Frolov and Garon for Nabokov at the draft awhile back.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:22 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Dean Lombardi offered the Sharks Brown, Frolov and Garon for Nabokov at the draft awhile back.
Link?

Old
05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
KingsCourt

Thank God this never happened ...biggest non move every made by the kings

KingsCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

That sounds more like something the Sharks want for Nabokov. There was a similar rumor being floated around the 2006 draft when the Kings were in talks with Florida to acquire Roberto Luongo, but Lombardi wouldn't make a deal without Luongo signing a contract extension.

There was also the rumored trade that would have sent Frolov and Stoll to San Jose for Patrick Marleau in a three-way trade with Ottawa, with the Sharks receiving Heatley and sending Frolov and Stoll in exchange.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I was open to trading anyone except doughty and quick during the season and rightly so. Nobody saw this coming, not even DL. In talking about the turn around of brown and the entire team.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Never heard this one, but I know Blake was offered for Nabokov and Blake wouldn't waive his NTC. Just one more thing that endears him to all Kings fans.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
DL must have really hated frolov if this is true.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Wow. In my post you re posted where do I agree to trading Brown? I said for the Kings to trade Brown it'd have to be Okposo and Nino or they wouldn't even listen. No where is there an agreement.
I like where this battle could be going.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:04 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I read about a week ago it was Brown for Lucic but Boston backed out. Brown has been everything Kings fans wanted from a captain since the trade deadline. Some players need outside motivation to get to the next level and it was probably the first time Brown has received negative press since he's been a King. I used to watch King games and think-that's not a play Messier or Yzerman would have made. Now when I watch Brown I think that's a play Messier or Yzerman made. Just throwing Brown's name out there was probably the best move for his career and the results could be pretty amazing with 7 more wins.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Not exactly related, but a rumor nonetheless, and I didn't want to start a new thread about this given it's only Pierre LeBrun.

Quote:
Almeida (Texas)
Do you think Dean Lombardi will target Parise this summer?

Pierre LeBrun
(2:02 PM)
Yes
From a live online chat today.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43830

So take it for what it's worth. But I still like day dreaming at the line combinations.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Never liked Brown all that much before, love him right now.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Almeida (Texas)
Do you think Dean Lombardi will target Parise this summer?

Pierre LeBrun
(2:02 PM)
Yes
May be the worst kept secret in hockey. If you could even call it a secret.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Not exactly related, but a rumor nonetheless, and I didn't want to start a new thread about this given it's only Pierre LeBrun.

From a live online chat today.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43830

So take it for what it's worth. But I still like day dreaming at the line combinations.
Pretty much the standard answer for any team that has cash to spend.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
May be the worst kept secret in hockey. If you could even call it a secret.
Yeah, I misread it at first, which is why I posted it. I originally read it as "get" not "target." Guess I've been drinking too much before the game.

Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
This rumor reminds me of the Kopitar for Khabibulin rumor that was floated around and was laughed at. I would bet everything I own that Dean never offered that, and if for some reason it was discussed, it was because Dean inquired and the Sharks countered with that. Mainly because of the reason we are sitting here today with two Kings drafted goaltenders. Dean Lombardi's #1 mission statement when he first joined the team, like it was with the Sharks, which resonated the first half of his tenure here in LA, was to draft and develop LA's own starting goaltending talent. He was never serious about acquiring any #1's or elites around the league, other than maybe trading for a young Luongo at the very beginning and drafting a Bernier to have a long continuation, but he was mainly only interested in stopgap goaltenders that could get us to Bernier or someone else internally. There is no way that was offered from the Kings, that is like saying the Capitals were considering a deal of Clowe, Pavelski, and Niemi for Vokoun at the deadline.

I won't deny that Dean probably asked about Nabby, but to say that he offered the farm for him is ridiculous. I could see him offering Rob Blake or a small/moderate price for him as a stopgap and mentor for his young goaltenders, but never as a serious option of we are spending big for an elite goaltender to take us to glory. Dean wanted a young goaltender to develop for the core because he wanted the team to grow and always be in competition because of that starting talent, like Kipper in Calgary. They are always right on the bubble there because they have had a fantastic starter that guarantees them 35-40+ wins for almost a decade.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 05-15-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:20 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Parise is sought after by every team in the NHL. If you look at every team's "off-season plan", it all includes Parise.

I just don't get how Parise can fit in our lineup when we don't even have Quick or Voynov locked in long term. I just feel like if we add anymore high priced players, we're going to push out our homegrown talent when their contract is up.

Let's say Parise takes Penner and Stoll's contract. Okay, that leaves us with one hole that, let's just say, we plugin with a rookie. When Quick is up, we give him Gagne's contract and a some more, which again, takes away from the other spots that is already at the bottom of the payroll. Then we have no money for Voynov? Just doesn't make sense to me unless we get rid of Carter.

Last edited by KingPurpleDinosaur: 05-15-2012 at 02:25 PM.
KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Parise is sought after by every team in the NHL. If you look at every team's "off-season plan", it all includes Parise.

I just don't get how Parise can fit in our lineup when we don't even have Quick or Voynov locked in long term. I just feel like if we add anymore high priced players, we're going to push out our homegrown talent when their contract is up.

Let's say Parise takes Penner and Stoll's contract. Okay, that leaves us with one hole that, let's just say, we plugin with a rookie. When Quick is up, we give him Gagne's contract and a some more, which again, takes away from the other spots that is already at the bottom of the payroll. Then we have no money for Voynov? Just doesn't make sense to me unless we get rid of Carter.
The cap is reportedly rising to $69 million. I believe there was a link in a different thread on here with Paul Holmgren saying that. Assuming the Kings are playing to the cap limit, that's an aditional $4.7 million there. Stoll + Penner+ cap increase = $12 million. That's how Parise and Quick fit in. We'd still need to do some adjustments to fit in another forward likely, but it's not going to be as complicated as it may seem. Assuming of course LA spends to the cap limit.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

We have at least $10,054,773 in cap space next season, which will inevitably be more once the cap goes up again, as it is expected to take a sizable jump this offseason, not to mention all the collective bargaining agreement stuff. We would also have a bit more coming off the books the following season. So say we sign Parise to a $7.5 million contract. We would have somewhere around $8.5-11.5m or so window to sign Quick and the gang, depending on what we do with Scuderi. It would be extremely close and we may have to cut some players, but that is eventually the price we will have to pay.

It is impossible to have every one play for us and to keep or give all our young players raises. The core is signed outside of Quick, depth is depth, you make Quick fit in that bracket and then you make the adjustments you need to make it fit. We would retain most of the depth players that are playing stellar for us now. It all depends on the direction Dean wants to go, but at the very least, we can afford both Parise and Quick, while obviously keeping the core of Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Doughty, etc...

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

The cap will continue to grow. The rumor is that it will be close to $70 million next season, depending on if there is a CBA "roll-back". With the new TV contract and Winnipeg attendance, the cap will continue to grow.

If the cap was static, then I would agree with you, but it isn't and I don't see it dropping any time soon. The Kings don't have any unmovable contracts. Richards is the only contact with a NTC/NMC.

Dean hasn't lost anyone due to cap miss-management, I don't see that changing.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings don't have any unmovable contracts. Richards is the only contact with a NTC/NMC.
Is that true still? Teams can elect to not honor a NTC/NMC if they acquire the player before it kicks in like the Kings did with Richards. In fact, they can void it from the contract completely. Does anyone know if LA did that or not? I was told Columbus did it to Carter's deal.