HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

KK will not return to Bingo

Old
05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Frankly I'd like to see us go after someone like Nittymaki or Bacashihua. McKenna has already mentioned on his twitter that he'd welcome coming back. While I wouldn't mind McKenna for another year, if we could land Cash or Nittymaki, I say do it. Sure, Nittymaki has had a terrible year or two, but maybe he can rebound a little. I think those two goalies of those listed as UFA's have the most potential to keep Lehner properly challenged in the AHL.
Lehner just needs to play, he doesn't need another goaltender to challenge him, he needs the challenge of the NHL.

Sure conventional wisdom might suggest he is too young, needs more seasoning, but at the same time Murray has to be careful not to hold him back.

Lehner has shown he can play at the AHL level, he was the MVP of the Calder Cup. Add to this, his performance through camp last fall was the best of any Sens goaltender, yet he was demoted. His demotion was understandable if 'conventional wisdom' is how Murray wants to develop his players.

Lehner player 5 games for the Sens this past season, won 3 lost 2, had a SV% .935 and a GA 2.01. This kid can play at the NHL level now.

The old and tired rebuttal of, 'he needs to prove it consistently in Bingo' only applies if the objective is to break the kid's spirit, not to maximum his talent and development.

Regardless of individual opinions on how to handle Lehner, the upcoming training camp will be pivotable. If Lehner shows he is NHL ready, one of the top two goalies in camp, and the Sens demote him again, it could well be the last time.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Let's be honest, the goal was owned by Barry Brust up until the second round of the playoffs. Lehner came in and played well and we won a cup.

KK rode Brust because the team was winning with him during the regular season. I might suggest even to a fault. A litttle side note, Brust also had a better regular season in 2010/11 than Bishop, and where is Bishop now??

The Brust four leaf clover went missing in the first round against MCH, as his .861 SA% and GAA 4.00 for the four games he played. KK had no choice but to go to Lehner, considering Barry's .769 SA% and 6 GA in game four, leaving the B-Sens down 3-1.

Lehner won the next three straight in O/T, and that included a penalty shot save in O/T I believe. Fact is, without Robin the B-Sens don't even see the second round.

Lehner was a key component in winning the Calder, his MVP nomination was well deserved, and whether people agree, KK should have ridden him this year.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 05-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
They probably want a coach that is more similar in style to Maclean - and someone who will treat Lehner like a #1 Goalie and not a guy who is just fighting for the net.
If Lehner played like a #1 goalie there wouldnt be a problem.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:17 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Lehner just needs to play, he doesn't need another goaltender to challenge him, he needs the challenge of the NHL.

Sure conventional wisdom might suggest he is too young, needs more seasoning, but at the same time Murray has to be careful not to hold him back.

Lehner has shown he can play at the AHL level, he was the MVP of the Calder Cup. Add to this, his performance through camp last fall was the best of any Sens goaltender, yet he was demoted. His demotion was understandable if 'conventional wisdom' is how Murray wants to develop his players.

Lehner player 5 games for the Sens this past season, won 3 lost 2, had a SV% .935 and a GA 2.01. This kid can play at the NHL level now.

The old and tired rebuttal of, 'he needs to prove it consistently in Bingo' only applies if the objective is to break the kid's spirit, not to maximum his talent and development.

Regardless of individual opinions on how to handle Lehner, the upcoming training camp will be pivotable. If Lehner shows he is NHL ready, one of the top two goalies in camp, and the Sens demote him again, it could well be the last time.
Lehner has already been the best goalie at camp twice since being drafted so you make some interesting points.

2010:

Gaa:
Lehner - 1.01
Elliott - 3.24
Leclaire - 4.43

Sv%:
Lehner - .957
Elliott - .882
Leclaire - .856

2009:

Sv%:
Lehner - .926
Leclaire - .921
Elliott - .913
Brodeur - .900

And i made it out to a few of the practices those years and lehner looked the hardest to beat when taking shots.

So you make a good point that if he comes in for the third year outplaying the goalies without getting a job, he'd be pissed.

Could you imagine how karlsson or cowen would feel coming to camp and earning a spot 3 times and getting sent back. You could argue cowen had that happen to him once...last year. But could you imagine 3 times? Most players would be pissed and want out.

Imagine zibanejad coming in to camp and outproducing regin/spezza/turris/smith like lehner did to elliott/leclaire for 3 camps and never made the team. He'd want to be traded somewhere where he can make a team out of camp by playing better then everyone else. Which makes sense.

I know there's the whole "goalies take longer to develop" but that's not what will be going through lehner's head if he comes into camp and outplays his competition, yet get's sent down, again. He'll be thinking...i've been the best goalie at camp AGAIN and i don't make the team...i wanna go somewhere where they want me to play for them.

Last edited by jbeck5: 05-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.
jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Little late on this, but I'm bummed KK is leaving the Sens organization, however I understand his dilemma..MacLean has done such an outstanding job his 1st season in Ottawa KK had to see this as a major part of his decision..he has now back pedaled from wanting only a job in the NHL as head coach to now the door is open for an assit. under the right circumstances..

Good luck Kurt and thanks for winning the cup for Bingo..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Darren Dregers take:
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=395658

As for Kurt Kleinendorst, his departure from the Senators is perplexing. He's an excellent coach who consistently promoted NHL-ready players to Ottawa. Something stinks with this one, especially when you acknowledge his interest in continuing to coach elsewhere as Kleinendorst clearly stated when he met with media earlier this week.

"There are some good roles out there that I could see myself fitting into, but, some assistant positions are really kind of glorified puck pushers. I have no desire to be a glorified puck pusher. My first choice would be to be a head coach somewhere, and I would consider an assistant position, but only under the right circumstances," Kleinendorst said.

So it's a big loss for the Ottawa Senators who seem to have a tough time holding on to AHL head coaches, hmmmm?

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Didn't we lose the last two AHL head coaches cause we promoted them into positions in Ottawa?

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Didn't we lose the last two AHL head coaches cause we promoted them into positions in Ottawa?
Paddock (promoted)
Nachbaur (left to be closer to home)
Clouston (promoted)

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 11:27 AM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Paddock (promoted)
Nachbaur (left to be closer to home)
Clouston (promoted)
No kidding. Go eat another cheeseburger and get your facts straight Dreger.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Canuckman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
KK has been riding on the coattails of his calder cup run for too long! what has he done lately? Time to kick the bum out!
I'm not one who thinks that he was a good coach. Technically he coaches old school. I however would not blame the losing year solely on KK. Look at what support he got from Ottawa. This team was two players away from being competitive. The team needs players who are tought and talented.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 08:28 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
And then we brought Cameron back years later after he left Bingo

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
I cringed everytime I saw him on TV during games, what a goofball

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
sens83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Ha! THAT made me laugh!

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
koreaboy

there's nothing "perplexing" about it. KK saw the writing on the wall. we have what appears to be a very successful coach here at the beginning of what will likely be an extended run, and even if it's not, the owner is a big fan of cameron. i respect KK's decision. he wants to be an NHL head coach. he would have had to wait a long long time to do it here.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:15 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
there's nothing "perplexing" about it. KK saw the writing on the wall. we have what appears to be a very successful coach here at the beginning of what will likely be an extended run, and even if it's not, the owner is a big fan of cameron. i respect KK's decision. he wants to be an NHL head coach. he would have had to wait a long long time to do it here.
Presumably he would have been able to leave Bingo if an NHL offer had come along in the future, so it's more the timing that is strange. Even if his future isn't in this organization, why not stay until an NHL team comes for him?

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Speaking of Clouston he just got fired from Brandon. At least RDS just ran that story.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote