HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desharnais, a really good 2nd line center?

Old
05-15-2012, 01:40 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

vCash: 500
Desharnais, a really good 2nd line center?

Leaf fan coming in peace.

I'm one of the GMs taking part in the annual TML HFboards fantasy draft game. In this game we basically draft and trade to create a team of 22 men. Judges select the winner based on which team they think has the best chance to win the cup this year. This means potential doesnt matter in this draft. Also, injured players are judged based on their performances from the previous year. Only players who played this year in the NHL can be selected. Also since its a 30-team draft teams will be pretty close to actual NHL calibre teams (that means its not realistic that someone would be able to gather a team full of all-stars).

Anyway, getting to the point. I selected David Desharnais with one of my picks to be my 2nd line center. I really like the pick. Now i'm getting flak because other GMs don't believe he is a capable 2nd line center. Can Hab fans give me a good scouting report on Desharnais and what they think about him in the role of 2nd line center?

Here is what other GMs had to say in the draft:

Quote:
I still dont think Desharnais is a #2
Quote:
I can say that though i don't like Deharnais as a #2C
Here is my lineup so far (if you want to give me an opinion on my team as a whole as well, i'd appreciate it):

Ray Whitney - Henrik Sedin - Jeff Carter
James Van Riemsdyk - David Desharnais - Kyle Okposo
Alex Steen - Chris Kelly - ________
_________ - Paul Gaustad - ________

Brian Campbell - Victor Hedman
Sheldon Souray - Michael Sauer
Shane O'Brien - __________

Miikka Kiprusoff

First and foremost your opinions on Desharnais. Please and Thank you.

GoHardSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:44 PM
SeriousHabs

Last year, Desharnais came to this forum and he distributed something like 24 tons of crow for many of us to eat. I had a lot. He was the 20th C for points last season. If his teamates can stay healty, I think he should surpass his 61pts total.

EDIT: He has more points than Toews and Getzlaf, so of course he is at least a 2C

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post

I'm one of the GMs taking part in the annual TML HFboards fantasy draft game. In this game we basically draft and trade to create a team of 22 men. Judges select the winner based on which team they think has the best chance to win the cup this year. This means potential doesnt matter in this draft. Also, injured players are judged based on their performances from the previous year. Only players who played this year in the NHL can be selected. Also since its a 30-team draft teams will be pretty close to actual NHL calibre teams (that means its not realistic that someone would be able to gather a team full of all-stars).

Anyway, getting to the point. I selected David Desharnais with one of my picks to be my 2nd line center. I really like the pick. Now i'm getting flak because other GMs don't believe he is a capable 2nd line center. Can Hab fans give me a good scouting report on Desharnais and what they think about him in the role of 2nd line center?

Here is my lineup so far (if you want to give me an opinion on my team as a whole as well, i'd appreciate it):

Miikka Kiprusoff

For all the flack he's taken for being small and not very good defensively, DD always seems to get the job done and never shies away from traffic. I was one of his detractors at the beginning of the season, but he won me over as the year went on.
He has very good hands and very underrated hockey sense. His vision and passing are probably his best attributes. You made a bold move taking him as your #2 (depending on who was available). It just might pay off for you!

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
He finished top 20 in center points in his first full year.

Not sure what else needs to be said. His compete level is high, his hockey IQ is high and he's doing his thing.

In his first NHL season(half a year) he had .51 PPG. He improved in his first FULL year and he'll likely stabilize or get better as he's done at every single level.

Cole was on a major slump until he paired with DD.

Pacioretty called him "one of the best players on the habs in a long time".

There's not much else to say.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Desharnais, based on his last season (personally I think he will only get better) is definitely a good second line center offensively speaking. 60 pts for a second line center is very good production.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Desharnais is a good offensive producer on a team whose other two top 9 centermen are more focused on defensive play which frees him up for a pure scoring role. For the point counting surface statistics that these kinds of GM games tend to focus on he's an excellent pickup for a second centerman.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:54 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
For all the flack he's taken for being small and not very good defensively, DD always seems to get the job done and never shies away from traffic. I was one of his detractors at the beginning of the season, but he won me over as the year went on.
He has very good hands and very underrated hockey sense. His vision and passing are probably his best attributes. You made a bold move taking him as your #2 (depending on who was available). It just might pay off for you!
I whole agree with you. About the bolded part I think he was always undeserving of that reputation. Sure he won't massacre people with bodychecks obviously but he's always at the right place at the right time and works hard all the time.

This guys' maturity and work ethics is top notch, I'm 100% certain he'll do at least as good next year.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I whole agree with you. About the bolded part I think he was always undeserving of that reputation. Sure he won't massacre people with bodychecks obviously but he's always at the right place at the right time and works hard all the time.

This guys' maturity and work ethics is top notch, I'm 100% certain he'll do at least as good next year.
He's not bad defensively, but its not a strength of his. He is just average for a top 6 center

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Bullsmith

Desharnais is a points producer. He may not play full #2 center duties in all capacities, but he's likely to put up the points. Guy's offensive vision, decision making, touch and compete level are truly outstanding. If he weren't so damn small he'd be a star. As it is he reminds me of Mike Riberio but with size issues instead of character/toughness ones. He's got the tools to be a king on the PP if he starts getting more time there. Still, he had what might turn out to be a career year, as did at least one of his linemates.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post

Miikka Kiprusoff

DD is a unique player, and one most of us would not be surprised to see us lead us in total points next season. He's a pure offensive scoring line center best suited to be surrounded in the top 6 by a big defensively strong center and big skilled wingers with skill. he has a real chance at 70+ points next year as he is still getting better...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

This

I don't get how ppl even say he is bad defensively, the guy was +10 on a bad team, I believe 2nd on the team on faceoff.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
le_sean

I'd give him another year to judge his worth. He played very well but he did do that with two huge offensive wingers. I'd like to see how much he could produce without them.

He has produced at every level though, so I do expect him to continue playing well.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
This

I don't get how ppl even say he is bad defensively, the guy was +10 on a bad team, I believe 2nd on the team on faceoff.
I agree, though there is no doubt he's best suited to have the insurance of a big defensively strong center in the top 6 as well, we all remember how he was abused by Eric Staal... (just simply overmatched)

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
This

Lol. Using +/- to determine defensive ability is pretty lulz.

I think on a cup contending team, DD will be the ideal 3rd line 'easy opposition' center, like Briere was in Philly. Also needs to be used a ton on the PP as his vision really is quite great. For our team, he's more than an adequate second line center.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Rexor

Just a quick question regarding his name's pronounciation:

Initially, I was pretty sure it should be pronounced as DE-SHAR-NE, however, I realized that even French-language media pronounce it as DE-AR-NE. Now I don't know much about the French I took (24 lessons and forgot most of it) but is this some peculiarity of Quebec French? Because I cannot recall any international French word with "SH" pronounced this way but maybe I'm wrong... can anyone shed some light on this?

Sorry for the OT, didn't think it was a new thread worthy.

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:27 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Lol. Using +/- to determine defensive ability is pretty lulz.

I think on a cup contending team, DD will be the ideal 3rd line 'easy opposition' center, like Briere was in Philly. Also needs to be used a ton on the PP as his vision really is quite great. For our team, he's more than an adequate second line center.
I guess that using +/- isn't always ideal, but its still a good inductor. DD has always been good defensive before coming to the NHL, in the AHL, he played the PK, and did play some PK time in MTL, a lot more in his first year. And on top of that , neither Patches nor Cole are great defensively, and at no point was that line every horrible in its own end at any point of the season.

Also I don't buy that he is a 3rd line. IMO he is a good 2nd line on a team with a legit 1st line Centre, IMO for it two work in MTL, Plek needs to return to his 65-70 point form, and Eller must also find a way to get in the 40-45 point, which is harder seeing how he doesn't get PP time. And also, he put up 61 point playing vs every teams top D pairings, its not like he was doing it vs bottom 2 pairings.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:34 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

He's not your classical 2nd line center, who is a guy who has 50+ point potential and is your best defensive center.

But he's definitely a top 6 centerman in this league based on last season, we'll have to see how he follows that up this year though.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post

Initially, I was pretty sure it should be pronounced as DE-SHAR-NE, however, I realized that even French-language media pronounce it as DE-AR-NE. Now I don't know much about the French I took (24 lessons and forgot most of it) but is this some peculiarity of Quebec French? Because I cannot recall any international French word with "SH" pronounced this way but maybe I'm wrong... can anyone shed some light on this?

The way it's pronounced on RDS, or at least how I, an anglo hear it is.

Day-Har-nay.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
patsbury

Quote:

See it like that: DES-HARNAIS, like if you are saying the word "harnais" (harness) to the plural.

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:

Think of it as two words, Des Harnais. The S belongs with the De as a plural form of the.

Sorry to repeat Patsbury, I didn't see your post before replying.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Andros777

Unlike most of the other short players in the league, he really can create the offense.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He finished top 20 in center points in his first full year.

Not sure what else needs to be said. His compete level is high, his hockey IQ is high and he's doing his thing.

In his first NHL season(half a year) he had .51 PPG. He improved in his first FULL year and he'll likely stabilize or get better as he's done at every single level.

Cole was on a major slump until he paired with DD.

Pacioretty called him "one of the best players on the habs in a long time".

There's not much else to say.
Actually Pacioretty said that DD was the best centreman he's ever played with.

Cole also always has great things to say about him.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:

Think of it as a composed last name, like Van Riemsdyk or El Moubarak. It is essentially Des Harnais, but in French we usually combine the names. Think of Mario Lemieux (not Le Mieux) or Louis Leblanc (not Le Blanc).

Desjardins -> Des Jardins = some gardens, or of the gardens.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Rexor

Thanks everybody, another mystery solved.

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
The way it's pronounced on RDS, or at least how I, an anglo hear it is.

Day-Har-nay.
This is the closest example to the correct pronunciation. The "nay" part is wrong but there's no english sounding equivalent.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote