HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What does a Bronze medal in hockey mean to you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
  #26
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I would say:

Olympics > Stanley Cup >>>>>>>> World Jrs. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> World Hockey Championships

Would put Olympics over the Stanley Cup because it would be for the entire country, and not just one region. I like sharing the glory.
First time in my life... I mean canadian admits Olympics...are...better...bigger...

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
  #27
Oyabun
Registered User
 
Oyabun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I'd rather win bronze than lose the gold and get the silver.. but that's just me. Losing the final game of the season is a total bummer.
I kinda agree with this. However, even if you get the silver, The feeling leading up to the final is greater than the feeling you get when the team wins the bronze.

But yeah, winning a bronze beats losing a gold.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:17 PM
  #28
zorz
Registered User
 
zorz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Winning Bronze in Canada just means you're the 2nd place loser...

Having said that, if we're talking about the World Championships... none of the medals there really mean anything to us. The games are being played when the most important hockey tournament in the world is on. Bronze at the World Championships means very very little.... Gold doesn't mean that much more to be honest.

Stanley Cup >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Olympic Games >>>>>>>> World Jrs >>>>>>>>> World Hockey Championships.

And that's just the way it is.
for me:

Olympics >>> World Hockey Championships >>>>>> World Jrs. >>>>>>>>>>>> Stanley Cup

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:19 PM
  #29
Oyabun
Registered User
 
Oyabun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
First time in my life... I mean canadian admits Olympics...are...better...bigger...
I just wish we could have one single thread that wasn't invaded by Canadians that has to take the time out of their day to go visit the World Hockey Championship forum just to proclaim that the tournament does not matter to them.


Rarely do you see people give this much attention into something that has no worth to them.

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
  #30
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddletown View Post
Yeah, but I'm not sure that's so different in Europe compared to NA. Who got the silver in the 2010 World Cup (football) final?. I don't remember...
As for the bronze game? Who what where?

Who got silver in the 2008 Euros? Don't remember.

There's not even a bronze game in the UEFA Champion's league or in any of the national football cups that I know of.

Of course if I was a fan of some team that got a bronze, I'd be ecstatic and remember it for many many years.
And that's it. You get the recognition at the time. I remember Sweden were 3rd in 1994, I remember Turks were 3rd (soccer). But to be honest I don't exactly remember who has won gold in WC (ice hockey) 5 or 6 years ago. But did you remember Slovakia was 4th on olympics it or Swiss and Germany were 4th? Yeah, it was exceptional. It's big deal in those countries and they get recognition all around the world for a while.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
  #31
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
First time in my life... I mean canadian admits Olympics...are...better...bigger...
Coming from Vancouver, I would say that the Olympics were awesome back in 2010.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
  #32
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,785
vCash: 1100
Zilch.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:24 PM
  #33
doakacola*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Lets get real here people a game between the following could be played for a bucket of pizz and the teams will give 100%.

USA-Canada
USA-Russia
Russia-Canada

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
  #34
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Lets get real here people a game between the following could be played for a bucket of pizz and the teams will give 100%.

USA-Canada
USA-Russia
Russia-Canada
You can easily add Czech-Slovaks, Sweden-Soumi, heck, even Slovaks-Hungary

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:34 PM
  #35
SirKillalot
Registered User
 
SirKillalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 390
Olympics >>>> Stanley Cup >>>>>> World Championships(unless Norway wins of course, then it's ahead of SC. World jr. isn't even on the map. That's a kids tournament where most of the time only two teams have a chance.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:36 PM
  #36
the chef
Just you know why...
 
the chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
Winning the Bronze makes you the second best loser.
Wouldn't it be that winning the bronze medal makes you the second/third (if you want to throw the winner in there as well) worst loser

the chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
  #37
doakacola*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Begbee how about Russia-Czech? It puts the lie to teams not caring 100%. Fans also.
I would still be "pumped" about the US playing Canada or Russia for the Bronze.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:46 PM
  #38
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Begbee how about Russia-Czech? It puts the lie to teams not caring 100%. Fans also.
I would still be "pumped" about the US playing Canada or Russia for the Bronze.
There is definitely more rivarliers. Czech - Russia is obviously big game. I don't know maybe Norway-Sweden is big too. Or France-Germany. What I know Latvia - Russia is big game for Latvia.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:49 PM
  #39
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I would say:

Olympics > Stanley Cup >>>>>>>> World Jrs. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> World Hockey Championships

Would put Olympics over the Stanley Cup because it would be for the entire country, and not just one region. I like sharing the glory.
If you had to choose between your team winning the Stanley Cup and Canada winning Gold at the Olympics... which are you picking?

I was at both the Gold Medal game and Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.... if you thought it was a party after the Gold Medal game, this town would have had 10X the celebration had the Canucks actually won the Cup.

Don't get me wrong, winning Gold was nice. Being there was great.... but I'd trade it all in a heartbeat for one Stanley Cup win.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:51 PM
  #40
Mr Kanadensisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Mr. Kannada,

I understand what you r saying, its valid.

However if u lost to say Sweden and faced the US or say Russia in SOCHI, u don't think that
game isn't considered big still?
it wouldn't be big to me, but it would be to some people

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
  #41
Icebear
Registered User
 
Icebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Norwegian mountains
Country: Norway
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
I'd like to hear people's opinions on what winning a bronze medal means to them and why.
A lot. It would mean that Hockey will be taken more seriously in Norway. It will mean more money, more ice-rinks and more recruitment in the future.

Icebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
  #42
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
If you had to choose between your team winning the Stanley Cup and Canada winning Gold at the Olympics... which are you picking?

I was at both the Gold Medal game and Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.... if you thought it was a party after the Gold Medal game, this town would have had 10X the celebration had the Canucks actually won the Cup.

Don't get me wrong, winning Gold was nice. Being there was great.... but I'd trade it all in a heartbeat for one Stanley Cup win.
Actually we don't know this. There is no evidence since no canadian team won SC since Olympics are played with best-on-best format.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
  #43
Mr Kanadensisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
I just wish we could have one single thread that wasn't invaded by Canadians that has to take the time out of their day to go visit the World Hockey Championship forum just to proclaim that the tournament does not matter to them.


Rarely do you see people give this much attention into something that has no worth to them.
I thought I posted this in the International Tournaments forum. Why are all you Europeans annoying us with this WC stuff?

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
  #44
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Actually we don't know this. There is no evidence since no canadian team won SC since Olympics are played with best-on-best format.
Actually we do have evidence since on a number of occassions polls have been done through the Sports media here in Vancouver as to which is more important to win and overwhelmingly the Stanley Cup people wanted more. The results weren't even close. And I think the poll done on Team1040 resulted in something like 80% of people saying they would trade in the Gold Medal in an instant to win the Stanley Cup.

I know for many people over on the other side of the pond they don't get just how much more important the Stanley Cup is to Canadians.... but it just is and it's not even close.

I don't know a single person here in Vancouver that wouldn't trade away the Gold Medal to win the Stanley Cup. And the poster I was talking to above who is from Vancouver is the first time in my life I've ever heard anyone say they'd rather have a Hockey Gold Medal than a Stanley Cup championship....

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
  #45
Mr Kanadensisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Actually we don't know this. There is no evidence since no canadian team won SC since Olympics are played with best-on-best format.
it is much harder for a canadian nhl team to win the sc than it is for Canada to win the gold

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
  #46
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,223
vCash: 500
When you get bronze, not only didn't you get the gold but you didn't even make the gold medal match! No good!

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:10 PM
  #47
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Actually we don't know this. There is no evidence since no canadian team won SC since Olympics are played with best-on-best format.
And actually if you want further evidence. Go post a poll in each of the Canadian hockey teams forums and ask which they would rather win in 2014 if they could only choose one.

I'd be shocked if you got more than 10% of the vote for Olympic Gold.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:14 PM
  #48
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,986
vCash: 500
So voting in polls is argument now? Election polls are 100% right, yes?
Voting for an action is not the same as respective act.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
  #49
slovakiasnextone
Registered User
 
slovakiasnextone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Actually we do have evidence since on a number of occassions polls have been done through the Sports media here in Vancouver as to which is more important to win and overwhelmingly the Stanley Cup people wanted more. The results weren't even close. And I think the poll done on Team1040 resulted in something like 80% of people saying they would trade in the Gold Medal in an instant to win the Stanley Cup.

I know for many people over on the other side of the pond they don't get just how much more important the Stanley Cup is to Canadians.... but it just is and it's not even close.

I don't know a single person here in Vancouver that wouldn't trade away the Gold Medal to win the Stanley Cup. And the poster I was talking to above who is from Vancouver is the first time in my life I've ever heard anyone say they'd rather have a Hockey Gold Medal than a Stanley Cup championship....
Canada has won Olympic gold twice in the last 10 years. (And numerous times before that).

AFAIK the Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup.

People always dream/want that which they don´t (or cannot) have, such is the nature of humans.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
  #50
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013
 
Uhmkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
So voting in polls is argument now? Election polls are 100% right, yes?
Voting for an action is not the same as respective act.
Listen, you can sit here and argue with me all you want. It's obviously you've never seen first hand how important the Stanley Cup is over here. Don't get me wrong, the Olympics were great. I had the opportunity to be at EVERY hockey game that was played at the Olympics (I worked there) and had a great time. I take nothing away from the Olympic Hockey tournament for what it is....

.... but you apparently haven't ever seen first hand how important the Stanley Cup is to Canadians. You ask any Maple Leafs fan if they could win a Stanley Cup in 2014 or the Gold Medal.... I DOUBT you find any who say they'd rather win at the Olympics. Ask Flames fans... Canuck Fans... Jets fans...

I know how Europeans can't understand why we don't take the international tournaments more seriously... we just don't.

The Olympics are important to Canadians, at least since it's become best on best, and we don't know if that will be the case in Sochi. The World Championships are a complete joke. They're played when the MOST important tournament for hockey is on, when many of the best players in the world aren't even able to compete. How can you say it's the WORLD championships when the WORLDS best players can't even play?!!?

They should change the name of the World Championships to "Championship for players whose teams sucked in the NHL so we are giving them something else to keep playing for" because the reality is that's all it is.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.