HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils @ Rangers ECF Game 1

View Poll Results: Who are the top 3 stars of the game?
Chris Kreider 155 76.35%
Derek Stepan 3 1.48%
Ryan Callahan 1 0.49%
Brad Richards 1 0.49%
Marian Gaborik 2 0.99%
Artem Anisimov 23 11.33%
Carl Hagelin 3 1.48%
Ruslan Fedotenko 2 0.99%
Brandon Prust 1 0.49%
Mike Rupp 1 0.49%
John Mitchell 1 0.49%
Ryan McDonagh 128 63.05%
Dan Girardi 58 28.57%
Marc Staal 16 7.88%
Michael Del Zotto 10 4.93%
Stu Bickel 0 0%
Anton Stralman 1 0.49%
Henrik Lundqvist 187 92.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
While it was certainly a penalty, it didn't really have any impact on play. If I recall correctly, the Devil player wasn't even trying to play the puck at the moment MDZ closed his hand over it, and he then he moved it pretty quickly. A penalty? Yeah, if you go by the book it was a penalty, but it had no impact on play. I wouldn't want to see that called on either team.

Plus, Washington got away with covering the puck with their hands several times, so this is just payback.
Dude, it maybe had no immediate impact on that play (and it kinda did since the Devil couldn't get to the puck since DZ was covering it behind him...) but the Rangers go up the ice and score a goal right after. If I were a Devils fan, I'd be beyond pissed.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roberts View Post
Not a Rangers fan, but impressed with the turnaround in philosophy over the years. I wrote a blog post -- Not your older brother's New York Rangers -- about it.

Really intrigued about a potential LA-NYR finals. As bad as these playoffs have been with some of the bigger market teams getting knocked out, that finals has huge potential for the NHL, much more so than NJ-PHX. *shudders*
"Of course, if Lundqvist is the beating heart of the Rangers then Ryan Callahan is what keeps the blood pumping throughout."

So wouldn't that make Callahan the heart?

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Can someone explain what the alternative to blocking shots is? Allowing a lot of shots on goal and allowing a lot of goals? Would that satisfy the masses?
The answer is? Ott, Wash and NBC reporters (star player homers) have frustration that their boys didn't get more goals and win. It stems from the Buttman mentality that hockey is basketball and that the only way to win is put in pretty goals and have high flying offense. That's the beauty of hockey. There's so much more to it than points on the board. Sure, you need points to win the game but because it's truely a team sport and because momentum is king there is so much that goes into getting those points. All those things are just as exciting in their own right. When Buttman realizes it and markets the game that way (and invests in HD quality televising a little more), he's got a winner. Until then, it's the Ovie and Crosby show. Look at ESPN this morning. 1 of the 5 lead stories is about the Capitals. They're done. Why is it there? That should be an article about NYR, NJ, PHX or LA. Why not a nice piece about Shane Doan? He's probably on his last leg like Marty and finally has a shot a cup. This is the story they want. Not, "What do Ovechkin and the Caps do now?"...I have an answer. Play golf. Have a beer. Go put on some weight so you have to take it off in camp next fall. Great coverage!

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
"Of course, if Lundqvist is the beating heart of the Rangers then Ryan Callahan is what keeps the blood pumping throughout."

I lol'd.

I demand an explanation from a medical standpoint.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen North View Post
Torts: I wonder what would happen if we did that to their two whining stars over there; I wonder what would happen." = $20K fine

Marty: "Hopefully we'll be able to hurt a few guys getting one-timers in the foot or their head or something." = <crickets>

yeah. this is very unfortunate. We all agree the league is inconsistent at best.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Chris Roberts
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post

The right atrium.

Nah, I like to pretend I can use medical analogies.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Man, what a day this was. A 2 AM match is really killing me. I wasn't able to sleep before the match and ended up only getting 2 hours in before heading off to work this morning. I just got home and I am exhausted!

On the match: The whole rivalry panned out perfect and the vibe I got while watching was different. In 1994 I was still a young boy, 9 years old and had to follow matches through radio. It was back in the day before internet and it was difficult to fall in love with the sport and a team but it happened anyway. Last night was the start of most of the memorable series for me for a long time, I just know it!

First period was alright, both teams got chances and going into the first intermission tied was deserved on both parties. McDonagh was very important with the 2 defensive plays he had (1 one Parise, 1 on Kovalchuk).

Second period was not really poor by the Rangers, we just got outworked and outrun, no harm in that. It happens during a conference finals match. You cannot dictate 60 minutes at these stages of the play-offs.

The third period was phenomenal and for me the highlight of the play-offs thus far together with Game 5 of the Washington series. All fell into place and Kid Kreider had another blast. Man, how proud am I to cheer for such a player! Coming from the NCAA and jump into the line-up for the NHL play offs is not easy, but him playing like this? Man, what a revelation!

I am so happy right now and just hope we can pull through and take a 2-0 lead for once.

It's a great year and I am proud to be a Rangers fan! Staying up late and ruining my sleep and daily routine is difficult, but it's all worth it this season! Last I want to mention is you guys. For years I've been looking for people to talk to about hockey and this is such a diverse and fun group of people, it's a joy coming back every day and read all the honest things written on here. The messages I got from some of you guys through the months helping out were really an eye-opener.

The Rangers-core of HF is really awesome!

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
bigbluebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Lol on TSN, one of the analysts said "Current conference final standings: The Kings lead in the West, the King leads in the East."
lol. awesome. I'll take corny a** headlines when they benefit my team, ahaha.

Kings vs the King, I like it.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Cmox

I don't know where else to post this but I really think the Devil's PR stunt will backfire. People don't like to be told what to do let alone what to wear. It'll most likely bring out tons of trollloll's wearing blue.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Everything aside, you don't compliment the enemy during battle. After the series is over and the dust settles then you can exchange pleasantries.
But you also don't go out of you're way to say you want guys to get hurt or **** on your counterpart in tghe other net...but if they need that motivation for the Conf Finals so be it...much like Larry Robinson, who I have a ton of respect for, telling the Devils after the game that the Rangers were breaking out the champagne and cigars because they think they have the series won...

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebird View Post
lol. awesome. I'll take corny a** headlines when they benefit my team, ahaha.

Kings vs the King, I like it.
"one life , one love ,so there can only be one king" -Nas

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
much like Larry Robinson, who I have a ton of respect for, telling the Devils after the game that the Rangers were breaking out the champagne and cigars because they think they have the series won...
did we really react that way after beating the devils in game 1?...i didn't think so at all so i don't know where larry robinson came up with that....i think the rangers are too smart to fall into that mindset. and if this series is anything like the last 2 series the rangers have played I don't think they would "break out the champagne and cigars" after just a game 1 win

Petey Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Pucks View Post
did we really react that way after beating the devils in game 1?...i didn't think so at all so i don't know where larry robinson came up with that....i think the rangers are too smart to fall into that mindset. and if this series is anything like the last 2 series the rangers have played I don't think they would "break out the champagne and cigars" after just a game 1 win
I think he was commenting on the stick salute. Too bad he hasn't realized that Rangers do it after EVERY SINGLE WIN.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I think he was commenting on the stick salute. Too bad he hasn't realized that Rangers do it after EVERY SINGLE WIN.

if thats what it was...then what a dbag for saying that

Old
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Cmox

They're just trying to rile the team up. If I notice this then 100% certain the Rangers do as well.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Love seeing Fatso Uncle Daddy play his best and still lose.

I hope we sweep them.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:54 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Pucks View Post
Robinson was talking about the stick salute, if a coach has to resort to manufacturing outrage after Game 1 of the series then I think that say's alot about what Robsinons thinks of the character of the team...IMO

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:54 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Dude, it maybe had no immediate impact on that play (and it kinda did since the Devil couldn't get to the puck since DZ was covering it behind him...) but the Rangers go up the ice and score a goal right after. If I were a Devils fan, I'd be beyond pissed.
The goal was not the RESULT of that play. The Rangers still had to score that goal.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Cmox

Regarding the NJD no blue stuff:
A friend of mine is going to game 3 hes from NJ and is I guess rooting for the Devils(casual hockey fan). He said he's going to wear blue though, haha

Old
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonagh View Post
I can't believe some fans honestly 100% believe that the Rangers tampered with the ice purposely

I definitely think it's possible.

1) Poor ice favors the defensive team over the offensive team
2) Soft ice slows the puck down (favors defense)
3) Slow ice makes it difficult to complete passes (favors defense)
4) Soft ice is death to a forecheck (the Devils strength)

We know in the playoffs fast baseball teams will cut the grass low, and those playing against fast teams will let the grass grow higher.

We know in golf they do the same thing with the ruff, let it grow high if you're playing against bombers, cut it short if you are the bombers.

The ice last night at MSG was (IMO) the worst I've ever seen it. Why? No concert or basketball game, and it wasnt in the 80s or anything....... Add up all the above, and it's certainly at least possible the ice was that terrible on purpose. In any event, given in other sports the home teams do things with the surface to aid their advantage, I dont see why you think it's such an outrageous claim.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Robinson was talking about the stick salute, if a coach has to resort to manufacturing outrage after Game 1 of the series then I think that say's alot about what Robsinons thinks of the character of the team...IMO
you think larry thinks his team is struggling mentally enough to resort to fabricating things like " the rangers think they have this series won"....all things considered I thought the Devils played rather well in game 1 and robinson wouldn't really have a need to light a fire under the devils ***** yet....i could see if the devils dropped game 2 he would fabricate to motivate....maybe he thinks the earlier the better perhaps?

Old
05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Cmox

It was super humid last night.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Petey Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

We know in the playoffs fast baseball teams will cut the grass low, and those playing against fast teams will let the grass grow higher.

We know in golf they do the same thing with the ruff, let it grow high if you're playing against bombers, cut it short if you are the bombers.

The ice last night at MSG was (IMO) the worst I've ever seen it. Why? No concert or basketball game, and it wasnt in the 80s or anything....... Add up all the above, and it's certainly at least possible the ice was that terrible on purpose. In any event, given in other sports the home teams do things with the surface to aid their advantage, I dont see why you think it's such an outrageous claim.

c'mon man thats reaching....bad ice equals bad bounces for both teams hence both have bad misfortune...i don't think the rangers would want to purposely slow things down at the cost of having a few bad bounces go the devils way

Old
05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

Just like jersey purposely has the worst glass and boards in the NHL?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Agreed, but it looked to me like DZ was tripped which is why he was on the ice in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if the refs let the hand on the puck go because they knew they gave the devils a break not calling the trip.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote