HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What does a Bronze medal in hockey mean to you?

Old
05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Canada has won Olympic gold twice in the last 10 years. (And numerous times before that).

AFAIK the Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup.

People always dream/want that which they donīt (or cannot) have, such is the nature of humans.
Actually, before Canada won in 2002, we hadn't won Olympic gold in 50 something years. The Olympics were on when the NHL/AHL were still playing and the NHL wasn't taking any breaks, so the Canadians never got to send a decent team. It wasn't until the NHL agreed to take a break for the Olympics that we got to see our best players and started winning Gold Medals again.

And I can assure you that there are many fans that have been alive when their team won the Stanley Cup that would still take another Stanley Cup over the Olympics.

My boss is a Habs fan and he laughs at me as a Canucks fans with his billion championships the Habs have won.... he'd STILL rather see the Habs win another than Canada win at the Olympics.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Listen, you can sit here and argue with me all you want. It's obviously you've never seen first hand how important the Stanley Cup is over here. Don't get me wrong, the Olympics were great. I had the opportunity to be at EVERY hockey game that was played at the Olympics (I worked there) and had a great time. I take nothing away from the Olympic Hockey tournament for what it is....

.... but you apparently haven't ever seen first hand how important the Stanley Cup is to Canadians. You ask any Maple Leafs fan if they could win a Stanley Cup in 2014 or the Gold Medal.... I DOUBT you find any who say they'd rather win at the Olympics. Ask Flames fans... Canuck Fans... Jets fans...

I know how Europeans can't understand why we don't take the international tournaments more seriously... we just don't.

The Olympics are important to Canadians, at least since it's become best on best, and we don't know if that will be the case in Sochi. The World Championships are a complete joke. They're played when the MOST important tournament for hockey is on, when many of the best players in the world aren't even able to compete. How can you say it's the WORLD championships when the WORLDS best players can't even play?!!?

They should change the name of the World Championships to "Championship for players whose teams sucked in the NHL so we are giving them something else to keep playing for" because the reality is that's all it is.

I don't know about the fans but almost every player in canada rates olympic win bigger than stanley cup.

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:33 PM
begbeee

As I know Olympic Gold is something which every human being in any sport is dreaming of....except of canadians hockey players. OK, I get it.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
I don't know about the fans but almost every player in canada rates olympic win bigger than stanley cup.
Really, I'd like to see proof of this because I've heard exactly the opposite. Show me some evidence that the majority of Canadian Players think the Olympics are more important now than the Stanley Cup.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:38 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Bronze for a team like Norway and Canada is great (in the last few years). For Russia, Sweden for example it would be OK, but generally dissapointing.
I had to laugh.

Anyway, bronze doesn't mean anything to me personally. When you play for a bronze medal at any level you want to win just because you have to play the game anyway, but as a fan... who cares.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:38 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Using that logic you could say that you'd rather have a crappy tournament, lose every game, except your last one in the relegation round and finish 8th as opposed to winning every game except the final and finish 2nd. I'd rather have the second option.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say but we were obviously talking about final and bronze games.. not the relegation. I thought everyone understood that, especially you who started the topic.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
As I know Olympic Gold is something which every human being in any sport is dreaming of....except of canadians hockey players. OK, I get it.
Why is it so hard to understand?

It would be the same thing as if Canadians suddenly decided to say "Ya know what, we're going to create a new tournament called 'The World Championships of Soccer (Football)" but we're going to have it at the same time as all the other important championships..... and if the countries who are the best at it don't like it.... too bad"

And then go on to play this tournament that the best players in the world could NEVER play in.... for like 80 years. And we still kept calling it the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS. But Soccer (Football) nations like England, Brazil, etc could never really compete in it because their far more important (To them anyways) championship matches were on at that time.

How do you think the citizens of England would think of this new tournamnet if they saw that none of the top Football (soccer) countries were ever really able to compete in it?

Do you think the English and Brazilians would take this new World Soccer Championships seriously? Highly unlikely.

Get it? Good.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Bronze for a team like Norway and Canada is great (in the last few years). For Russia, Sweden for example it would be OK, but generally dissapointing.
Sneaky troll attempt.

Man, Bronze would've been "great" in the 2010 Olympics... I wish Canada could at least reach the semi-finals to have a shot at Bronze in that tournament. Oh, wait...

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
I'm not sure what you are trying to say but we were obviously talking about final and bronze games.. not the relegation. I thought everyone understood that, especially you who started the topic.
sorry, my bad, i replied to the wrong post

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
that is not true, I don't think I've heard one canadian player say that

Old
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
There hasn't ever been a player thats said that. But why let facts get in the way of a good story.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
I have though.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
I have though.
we're not including the womens team

Old
05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
I have though.
Really? Well in your quote you said ALMOST EVERY CANADIAN PLAYER viewed the Olympics as being more important.

Now, since you said ALMOST all of them, it shouldn't be hard for you to name one....

.... name ONE and show me where you got the quote from otherwise it's just another made up argument like the "I don't know about the fans but almost every player in canada rates olympic win bigger than stanley cup."

You've been called out... I want to see you back this garbage up.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
First time in my life... I mean canadian admits Olympics...are...better...bigger...
Once professional players were back in the picture, the Olympics has been >= the SCF for me (though I might be biased as a Leafs fan, since I haven't had a horse in the race in a long time). When it was still amateur teams I didn't care as much because it wasn't truly a best-on-best competition. I don't really hold the WHC in high esteem for a similar reason, though I still enjoy watching it and I still want Canada to come home with gold. :p

To answer the original question, a Bronze is a disappointing consolation prize to me at the national level. Even though hockey is growing, and Canada is not an unstoppable juggernaut, I still have the expectation that we'll go all the way, since I still perceive hockey as "our game" more than any other sport. Bronze just means we didn't get Gold, but we got to end with whichever tournament we were in with a silver lining (heh). It's still disappointing.

When we finish out of the medal round, it's depression-inducing. I don't even want to talk about Torino.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Always better to win your last game of the season than to lose it. My team Jokerit won a bronze medal game for the first time in 14 years and it felt much better than to lose it.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
ak90210

Bronze Medal means the team shat the bed. Gold or nothing for Canada.

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Once professional players were back in the picture, the Olympics has been >= the SCF for me (though I might be biased as a Leafs fan, since I haven't had a horse in the race in a long time). When it was still amateur teams I didn't care as much because it wasn't truly a best-on-best competition.

To answer the original question, a Bronze is a disappointing consolation prize to me at the national level. Even though hockey is growing, and Canada is not an unstoppable juggernaut, I still have the expectation that we'll go all the way, since I still perceive hockey as "our game" more than any other sport. Bronze just means we didn't get Gold, but we got to end with whichever tournament we were in with a silver lining (heh). It's still disappointing.

When we finish out of the medal round, it's depression-inducing. I don't even want to talk about Torino.
Answer me this....

Toronto is playing in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals at the SAME TIME as Canada playing in the Gold Medal game. You're in the middle of nowhere with a crappy colour TV with a note on it that says "You can turn the TV but it will only allow you to select one channel and then it will stay forever frozen on that channel"

Do you pick CBC and watch Game 7
or
Do you pick TSN and watch the Olympic Games?

Old
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Answer me this....

Toronto is playing in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals at the SAME TIME as Canada playing in the Gold Medal game. You're in the middle of nowhere with a crappy colour TV with a note on it that says "You can turn the TV but it will only allow you to select one channel and then it will stay forever frozen on that channel"

or
As a Leafs fan, you bet your ass I'm watching CBC. Then I'm muting it, because Hughson/Healy/Simpson will probably be doing commentary and I can't stand them. I've waited far longer for a Cup win than an Olympic win, so, like I said, I might be biased. :p

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I had to laugh.

Anyway, bronze doesn't mean anything to me personally. When you play for a bronze medal at any level you want to win just because you have to play the game anyway, but as a fan... who cares.
Ye, of course I meant it as a joke

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
icing

Quote:
Answer me this....

or
I would say that can be applied on supporters outside NA too. An Olympic b on b final where Sweden plays is huge, but if my team played game 7 in the final of the swedish play offs at the same time, no Olympic final for me. If my team was not playing the final in the swedish play offs, then Olympic final it is.

icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Really? Well in your quote you said ALMOST EVERY CANADIAN PLAYER viewed the Olympics as being more important.

Now, since you said ALMOST all of them, it shouldn't be hard for you to name one....

.... name ONE and show me where you got the quote from otherwise it's just another made up argument like the "I don't know about the fans but almost every player in canada rates olympic win bigger than stanley cup."

You've been called out... I want to see you back this garbage up.
It was some TV program a while back where they asked this but don't remember what it was.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
I would say that can be applied on supporters outside NA too. An Olympic b on b final where Sweden plays is huge, but if my team played game 7 in the swedish play offs at the same time, no Olympic final for me. If my team was not playing the final in the swedish play offs, then Olympic final it is.
My point still stands then, particularly in Canada.

If your NHL hockey team is still playing and in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and team Canada is playing for Hockey Gold.... the overwhelming majority of people will watch their NHL team.

So it's safe to say that the Stanley Cup is more important to Canadians. Now obviously if their team isn't in one of those two championships, they may watch the other one, but when head to head, they'll watch their team in the Stanley Cup.

Now where is my Slovak friend... I've decided to start up the World Championships of Football in the parking lot at work. So far none of the other countries have shown up so I'm going to go score a goal and declare myself the winner. And since I'm Canadian, I guess Canada will be the World Football Champions...

The game will begin in about 5 minutes.

.... seems about as legit as the World Hockey Championships that are on during the Playoffs that REALLY count.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
It was some TV program a while back where they asked this but don't remember what it was.
SHOCKING that you couldn't find a source...

Old
05-15-2012, 03:37 PM
SirKillalot

Quote:
it is much harder for a canadian nhl team to win the sc than it is for Canada to win the gold
It's much harder for Norway to win Olympic gold than any canadian team winning the Stanley Cup.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote