HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Big Joe to Leafs

Old
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loso View Post
Oh god, the playoff choker jokes would be too much...
You're kidding? JT isn't as bad as he reputation suggests and neither is Luongo.

I get the criticism but a 28 year old in grabovski doesn't even know what the NHL playoffs look like and JT is a choker? Jesus... If people want to complain, let them, but leafs will be stealing their playoff spot most likely.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I think it's pretty fair. I don't know if leafs should do it though. It only makes sense if JT is the 'final piece' but leafs have goaltending issues too. If say leafs acquire JT and Luongo, instant contenders IMO. Would I suggest it? Probably not. Build from within. Still, imagine JT and Kessel together. Hard to pass up.

Pretty much and I understand both point of views obviously.
I should clarify is not giving up the 5th pick Schenn or Kule my problem is I think only one of the 5th pick or Schenn needs to be there I think the 3rd asset can be replaced

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:29 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

We have one Tim Thomas thread to Toronto, and another Joe Thornton trade to Toronto. The Leafs finished 5th worst last season so maybe the OP could explain why he wants someone on the Leafs that'll cost an arm and a leg, and is approaching the twilight of his career. It's a really bad idea, unless Leafs fans love to wallow in mediocrity!

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:31 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Only significant asset i would be willing to part with is Luke Schenn. I'd add to him but nothing significant. Joe is reaching the end and its just far to short term. Dont get me wrong, fantastic player however the leafs team/cupboards are not stocked enough to afford overpaying for a 34 year old. If we trade for joe it will likely leave us with many other holes. The leafs are not close enough to contending to be able to capitalize on the small window joe thorton has to win a cup/carry a team to a cup. Hes a heft stop gap and only a team on the brink of contention can afford to pay the premium. Sharks fans are most likely not interested in Schenn and so be it.
our cupboards are getting pretty stocked IMO with this 5th pick whoever it ends up being + Kadri, Colborne, + Gardiner+b percey, + biggs + blacker + Scrivens + rynass

Our Cupboards are not nearly as bare as they once were

Old
05-15-2012, 03:31 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Joe Thornton, is a great centre one of the true number 1's in the league, but at 32, for how long? It would be a gamble on Burke's part Joe may not like the pressure in Toronto and may want out and not perform(see Tim Connolly, Kris Versteeg or Alex Steen or guys like Brad Richards who listened but only half heartedly)

This is why the 2012 first isn't available, they could work out something around a 1st rnd pick if the Leafs win a cup while he's still signed to San Jose paper, if the Leafs don't win a cup with him then the first comes off the table. If the Leafs re-sign him then a conditional 2nd and 3rd are handed over

He carries two more years on his contract at a cap hit of 7m another reason why the first is not available, in this San Jose would need to take back salary to be sure

Lombardi or Armstrong(1yr respectively) + Komisarek(2yrs left) + that conditional 1st or 2nd+3rd + any 2 of Blacker, D'amigo or Colborne

Joe would only be traded if he wants to leave or Wilson feels he can no longer win with the line-up the way it is

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Joke all they want, Joe's playoff stats aren't half as bad as many suggest.

Luongo "choked" his team all the way to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals last season. Ya he sucks

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:40 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
Joe Thornton, is a great centre one of the true number 1's in the league, but at 32, for how long? It would be a gamble on Burke's part Joe may not like the pressure in Toronto and may want out and not perform(see Tim Connolly, Kris Versteeg or Alex Steen or guys like Brad Richards who listened but only half heartedly)

This is why the 2012 first isn't available, they could work out something around a 1st rnd pick if the Leafs win a cup while he's still signed to San Jose paper, if the Leafs don't win a cup with him then the first comes off the table. If the Leafs re-sign him then a conditional 2nd and 3rd are handed over

He carries two more years on his contract at a cap hit of 7m another reason why the first is not available, in this San Jose would need to take back salary to be sure

Lombardi or Armstrong(1yr respectively) + Komisarek(2yrs left) + that conditional 1st or 2nd+3rd + any 2 of Blacker, D'amigo or Colborne

Joe would only be traded if he wants to leave or Wilson feels he can no longer win with the line-up the way it is
Joe Thornton blows all of the guys you listed out of the water. And he's done a lot of maturing and growing up since he left Boston.

I'm okay with taking back salary, but not two cap dumps and a conditional pick and two B prospects. Not happening.

Bottom line is, if the Sharks trade Joe, they need the potential for elite talent to be coming back. That's why Toronto's first this season has to be part of the deal. I know everyone likes to call Joe declining and whatever, but his style of play will be effective for 8-10 more years. He hasn't had injury issues in a long time and he doesn't rely on physical gifts that decline with age to play at an elite level.

If Joe is traded, it's for a Jeff Carter return and then some.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Younghockey94

The Leafs would love big Joe, he's exactly what this team needs. With that being said, I would give up anything for him except our 1st rounder this year. I think BB has every intention to draft with that pick, so trading it isn't even an option. But I would be fine with giving up anything else (Except Kessel or Phaneuf obviously).

Younghockey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
ak90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
5th overall, kulemin and schenn?

Not a leafs fan but I consider that more than fair. Maybe even a little too much.
Pretty bad for the Sharks, Schenn is brutal.

ak90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
hockeyball

The 1st is a deal breaker, either it's part of the deal, or Big Joe isn't in the conversation. That's all there is to it, sorry.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The 1st is a deal breaker, either it's part of the deal, or Big Joe isn't in the conversation. That's all there is to it, sorry.
not that I'd do it but I think Burke would move Gardiner before the 5th pick

that said I'd rather move the 5th pick I hope Gardiner is as close to untouchable as humanly possible

Old
05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghockey94 View Post
The Leafs would love big Joe, he's exactly what this team needs. With that being said, I would give up anything for him except our 1st rounder this year. I think BB has every intention to draft with that pick, so trading it isn't even an option. But I would be fine with giving up anything else (Except Kessel or Phaneuf obviously).
i disagree I think that pick can be had for sure. It may not be moved but I doubt very much it is untouchable

Old
05-15-2012, 03:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
not that I'd do it but I think Burke would move Gardiner before the 5th pick

that said I'd rather move the 5th pick I hope Gardiner is as close to untouchable as humanly possible
I don't see Burke moving the 5th pick either. But if he wants Thornton (which I also am on the fence about), realistically that pick has to be going the other way, in addition to one or two of Kulimen/Kadri/Colborne.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
hockeyball

Remember, we could theoretically send the 17th back as well, but Thornton + 17th isn't going to be cheap.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
SJ isn't rebuilding. And the 2013 pick? If you're trading for JT, the 2012 pick would have to be included.

Think something like this: And even then I don't see what incentive there is for SJ to do this. They're NOT rebuilding and this doesn't help them win now.

2012 1st
Schenn
Kadri
Colborne
+
Not a Leaf fan by any means but that's an overpayment from the Leafs.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I don't see Burke moving the 5th pick either. But if he wants Thornton (which I also am on the fence about), realistically that pick has to be going the other way, in addition to one or two of Kulimen/Kadri/Colborne.
No I think he'd want Joe, Joe is exactly what we need Lupul-Thornton-Kessel would just be nasty and I don't think he'd have an issue moving Kulimen or Kadri I just think he'd want to find a way around moving the 5th mostly due to Joe's age.

I', not saying I think he's against moving the 5th cause I believe that can be had but I think if the 5th gets moved it's for a Jordan staal type or a Ryan Getzlaf type IF the ducks were dumb enough to move him which they aren''t.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
No I think he'd want Joe, Joe is exactly what we need Lupul-Thornton-Kessel would just be nasty and I don't think he'd have an issue moving Kulimen or Kadri I just think he'd want to find a way around moving the 5th mostly due to Joe's age.

I', not saying I think he's against moving the 5th cause I believe that can be had but I think if the 5th gets moved it's for a Jordan staal type or a Ryan Getzlaf type IF the ducks were dumb enough to move him which they aren''t.
Lupul-Thornton-Kessel would definitely challenge for the best line in the league. And since Grabovski would be taking the hard minutes, I'd confidently say that Joe could hit 90 points again.

But as for the pick, you aren't going to get a young #1C in his prime for that pick. Your best bet is to get a Thornton type that many would overlook due to his age and reputation, but who is actually a good fit and has plenty of years left in him.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Lupul-Thornton-Kessel would definitely challenge for the best line in the league. And since Grabovski would be taking the hard minutes, I'd confidently say that Joe could hit 90 points again.

But as for the pick, you aren't going to get a young #1C in his prime for that pick. Your best bet is to get a Thornton type that many would overlook due to his age and reputation, but who is actually a good fit and has plenty of years left in him.
well look at that a Leaf fan and a fan of…..well any team really having a civil conversation on HFboards

who would have thought? is this the dawn of a new era an era where Leaf fans and other fans can live in peace and harmony?

Nah that won't happen

Old
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
well look at that a Leaf fan and a fan of…..well any team really having a civil conversation on HFboards

who would have thought? is this the dawn of a new era an era where Leaf fans and other fans can live in peace and harmony?

Nah that won't happen
As if.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:25 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Can't see Toronto giving up what San Jose would want for Joe, he's going to be 33 years old to start next season. Still a great player but he doesn't fit in with the current age group or in the long term plans (only 2 more seasons and he's UFA).

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Can't see Toronto giving up what San Jose would want for Joe, he's going to be 33 years old to start next season. Still a great player but he doesn't fit in with the current age group or in the long term plans (only 2 more seasons and he's UFA).
he doesn't fit the age group of the current core no but that isn't really a bad thing. Every team needs a couple o vets you can'y win without a couple of vets Thornton could help fill that role

Old
05-15-2012, 04:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Joe is also from Ontario and he's shown willingness to put the team over his pay check, so I don't think the Leafs would have a huge problem re-signing him.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
he doesn't fit the age group of the current core no but that isn't really a bad thing. Every team needs a couple o vets you can'y win without a couple of vets Thornton could help fill that role
I agree but Burke's not giving up 5th overall ++ for 2 years of Joe who will be already 33 years old to start next season.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:33 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Haha at least they would be an upgrade on the regular season choker comments!

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Happy watching Joe wallow in despair while he finishes his days as a Shark.
At least the Sharks make the playoffs.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote