HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who wants to buy some Handguns? (Off-Season Speculation Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Really? How so?

From where I see it, it's a good time to be an Avs fan. Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog, Johnson, Downie, Mueller, McGinn, Siemens, Elliot, Barrie, and Varlamov, all under 26. For references' sake, we have Couture, Wingels, Demers, Galiardi, Vlasic, and Desjardins in the same age group.
The problem for the Avs is chronic. They have always had issues drafting/developing dmen. They won by acquiring a blueline. IMO, several blueline pieces away and they probably have to remove the HC who is way too conservative/unimaginative.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Iron Chef

The Todd news is gaining steam quickly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Puck Daddy citing Kevin Kurz:

Kevin Kurz of Sharks Insider confirms that it's "become a virtual certainty McLellan will return" to San Jose next season, and throws scout Dirk Graham's name into the hopper for a potential assistant coach.

From Kevin Kurz:

It’s become a virtual certainty McLellan will return, based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The problem for the Avs is chronic. They have always had issues drafting/developing dmen. They won by acquiring a blueline. IMO, several blueline pieces away and they probably have to remove the HC who is way too conservative/unimaginative.
I have no difficulty believing that by the time the Avs are ready to contend, Sacco will be long gone. Also, I think Colorado is a dark horse for getting Suter. They're young and have a lot of time ahead of them, they have the cap space and the need, and he has Stastny and Johnson as US Olympian buddies.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
The Todd news is gaining steam quickly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Puck Daddy citing Kevin Kurz:

Kevin Kurz of Sharks Insider confirms that it's "become a virtual certainty McLellan will return" to San Jose next season, and throws scout Dirk Graham's name into the hopper for a potential assistant coach.

From Kevin Kurz:

It’s become a virtual certainty McLellan will return, based on conversations with people in and around the Sharks organization.
Dirk Milton Graham (born July 29, 1959 in Regina, Saskatchewan) is a retired Canadian professional forward who played for the Chicago Blackhawks and Minnesota North Stars in the National Hockey League. He was honored in 1991 as the Frank J. Selke Trophy winner for outstanding defensive play by a forward. Graham served as head coach of the Blackhawks briefly during the 1998–99 season before being relieved of his duties after 59 games. Graham played for over 10 NHL seasons, appearing in 772 games. He scored 219 goals and 270 assists with 917 penalty minnutes, In the playoffs, he played in 90 games with 17 goals and 27 assists.
In 1992, Graham captained the Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup Finals, but they got swept by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is currently a scout for the San Jose Sharks.

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Dirk_Graham

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
05-15-2012, 04:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Dirk Milton Graham (born July 29, 1959 in Regina, Saskatchewan) is a retired Canadian professional forward who played for the Chicago Blackhawks and Minnesota North Stars in the National Hockey League. He was honored in 1991 as the Frank J. Selke Trophy winner for outstanding defensive play by a forward. Graham served as head coach of the Blackhawks briefly during the 1998–99 season before being relieved of his duties after 59 games. Graham played for over 10 NHL seasons, appearing in 772 games. He scored 219 goals and 270 assists with 917 penalty minnutes, In the playoffs, he played in 90 games with 17 goals and 27 assists.
In 1992, Graham captained the Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup Finals, but they got swept by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is currently a scout for the San Jose Sharks.

http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Dirk_Graham
So the org thinks promoting a guy from within the organization would be a good idea? I think we need new blood.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
So the org thinks promoting a guy from within the organization would be a good idea? I think we need new blood.
Someone totally foreign could really throw a wrench in the gears. Getting someone from within the org that at least DW knows on a more personal and long term level might be the best solution.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Someone totally foreign could really throw a wrench in the gears. Getting someone from within the org that at least DW knows on a more personal and long term level might be the best solution.
I guess... But frankly we have no idea what this guy's strengths as an assistant coach would be. He won a Selke, so I guess he understands the value of good two-way play and maybe he could get control of the PK and lower liners.

I digress. I really have no idea what the **** I'm talking about.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Avs never had a lot of talented young defensmen in their system, but since Pracey took over as head scout we're seeing great improvements in that department with the arrival of Elliott (2011 WHL D-man of the year), Barrie (2010 WHL D-man of the year and 2011 runner up to Elliott), Siemens and Gaunce (who played great in the AHL this season) who all project as top 4 NHL defensmen.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I guess... But frankly we have no idea what this guy's strengths as an assistant coach would be. He won a Selke, so I guess he understands the value of good two-way play and maybe he could get control of the PK and lower liners.

I digress. I really have no idea what the **** I'm talking about.
Neither do I lol, but my guess would be that a personality conflict between coaches could be disastrous with the kind of stress levels in that kind of job.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

**** it, hire Easy as an AC.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:56 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Avs never had a lot of talented young defensmen in their system, but since Pracey took over as head scout we're seeing great improvements in that department with the arrival of Elliott (2011 WHL D-man of the year), Barrie (2010 WHL D-man of the year and 2011 runner up to Elliott), Siemens and Gaunce (who played great in the AHL this season) who all project as top 4 NHL defensmen.
I hope it works it out. Drafting is half the story, developing is the second half (where we have to wait and see). The Avs have always been good on finding/developing forwards. And years ago, very good on goalies (not anymore). I have done some work by the numbers on strengths and weaknesses of the various teams in drafting/developing.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I hope it works it out. Drafting is half the story, developing is the second half (where we have to wait and see). The Avs have always been good on finding/developing forwards. And years ago, very good on goalies (not anymore). I have done some work by the numbers on strengths and weaknesses of the various teams in drafting/developing.
Avs were never very good on goalies, the best they drafted before the lockout was Aebischer (unless you count Thomas who didn't get a proper chance in Colorado) and he was nothing to write home about. Right now they have a pretty good group of young talent in the pipeline with Pickard, Aittokallio, Patterson, Millan, Desjardins (if he's retained) etc.

I'm well aware that drafting is only half of the story and you really can't compare the pre lockout Avs draft and development records to that of the current FO group. Pre lockout Avs had only one thing on their mind and that was winning the SC, that led to some gross missmanagement of draft picks and prospects which led to the demise of the Avs as a contender after the lockout ended. The FO group that's in place now is doing a much much better job of managing their prospects and draft picks.

Old
05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Pinkfloyd

If we're talking former Red Wings as potential assistants, it could be one of Maltby or Draper.

Old
05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If we're talking former Red Wings as potential assistants, it could be one of Maltby or Draper.
I'm pretty sure they're being groomed as execs in the Detroit org like Yzerman. I don't see why they'd leave.

Old
05-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'm pretty sure they're being groomed as execs in the Detroit org like Yzerman. I don't see why they'd leave.
I don't think Draper would leave because he's special assistant to the GM. That sort of leads me to believe that he wants to be a GM but Maltby is a scout. That can lead down many paths including coaching at some point.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
The new area they opened up in the back of san pedro square? The food isso good there

Old
05-15-2012, 09:07 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Awful decision to keep McLellan. His system simply does not work against superior teams. Very often leaves huge holes and defense can't catch up. The PK is atrocious, and he used the same strategy all year. Stand around, no movement at all, passing lanes open, rely on Niemi to make the save and attempt to clear the rebound. Also uses too much dump and chase, he knows not many of his players can win puck battles, dumping it into the zone is often essentially a turnover. And the team his system worked worst against? The St. Louis Blues. What did he do to change it? Jack ****. That decision should have cost him his job, I hope this one costs DW his.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Avs were never very good on goalies, the best they drafted before the lockout was Aebischer (unless you count Thomas who didn't get a proper chance in Colorado) and he was nothing to write home about. Right now they have a pretty good group of young talent in the pipeline with Pickard, Aittokallio, Patterson, Millan, Desjardins (if he's retained) etc.

I'm well aware that drafting is only half of the story and you really can't compare the pre lockout Avs draft and development records to that of the current FO group. Pre lockout Avs had only one thing on their mind and that was winning the SC, that led to some gross missmanagement of draft picks and prospects which led to the demise of the Avs as a contender after the lockout ended. The FO group that's in place now is doing a much much better job of managing their prospects and draft picks.
Fernandez, Denis, etc. as well. I rated orgs on # of games played by their goalies drafted. At one point they were #2 in the league.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Rickety Cricket

I believe in you Todd

Old
05-15-2012, 09:51 PM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
There are not likely to be any 'sure thing' goalies available. You either take a risk on a reclamation project (Mason) or you give the best goalie you have in the system a shot and see what he can do (Stalock/Sateri).

Sticking with Niemi is pointless, he's not a bad goalie, but he's no better than Greiss, and costs a LOT more. My bet is it will be Stalock, but you really don't have a lot to lose at this point.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Awful decision to keep McLellan. His system simply does not work against superior teams. Very often leaves huge holes and defense can't catch up. The PK is atrocious, and he used the same strategy all year. Stand around, no movement at all, passing lanes open, rely on Niemi to make the save and attempt to clear the rebound. Also uses too much dump and chase, he knows not many of his players can win puck battles, dumping it into the zone is often essentially a turnover. And the team his system worked worst against? The St. Louis Blues. What did he do to change it? Jack ****. That decision should have cost him his job, I hope this one costs DW his.
And this.

Having mclellan stay better mean some serious changes with the AC's and some forced changes and adaptation of the system. No more bullsh1t excuses from Tmac about players just needing to "execute".

Really upset about this.

If we don't get rid of Tmac, can we at least please give Stalock & Greiss the net? Please Please Please.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

I'm not sure how it works but isn't the GM usually telling the HC "hey man you're assistants ****ing suck. ditch those guys and get some better people" usually a nice way of saying "**** up one more time and I swear to god you're on the street"?

Old
05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
From Kevin Kurz:

I hate this team

Old
05-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
**** it, hire Easy as an AC.
Easy would be the most confusing coach in history.

Easy: "*coach talk*"
Player: "what?"
Easy: " *two word sentence clarification*"
Player: "wait what"
Easy: "*some vague answer"
Player: "dude???" *ah **** it, I'm sure he meant crash the net*

Old
05-15-2012, 10:08 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Easy would be the most confusing coach in history.

Easy: "*coach talk*"
Player: "what?"
Easy: " *two word sentence clarification*"
Player: "wait what"
Easy: "*some vague answer"
Player: "dude???" *ah **** it, I'm sure he meant crash the net*
Marleau would play 30 minutes a night.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Marleau would play 30 minutes a night.
Thornton will play on the third line so the top wingers don't get lazy and uncreative.

Closed Thread