HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal style pizza in Toronto?

Old
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
1UP

vCash: 500
Shame you don't have a Chez Victor in Montréal, I REALLY like their burgers. They're awesome.

On the pizza subject. Whenever I've left Québec to go to another province or the states, I've always missed the pizza. Even the pizza from Stratos, which is pretty average, is an epic godsend when I come back home.

Man, we're awesome at food. That's a good thing to know

Also, this thread is bookmarked. So many awesome places to try next time I take my rusty old crap down the 40.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
dre2112

Has anyone had Buns Hamburgers? Someone I went to elementary school owns this place and apparently it gets rave reviews in local magazines and papers

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Has anyone had Buns Hamburgers? Someone I went to elementary school owns this place and apparently it gets rave reviews in local magazines and papers
There's one minutes from my apartment, but I've never bothered going.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Speaking of burgers, what are they waiting for to bring In-N-Out here?

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Speaking of burgers, what are they waiting for to bring In-N-Out here?
For it to not suck, I think. Might take a while.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:58 PM
AntonCH

Fuddrucker's FTW

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:39 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
buns is crap no offense to the elementary friend.

The people who like buns: a) never made a great burger themselves b) never ordered a great burger c) convenience factor when drunk / high

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
For it to not suck, I think. Might take a while.
It's gonna be crazy if it comes here. It's sooo good.

I finally tried Amelios pizza. 16.50$ + gas money for a small pizza but it was worth it. Excellent pizza.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
buns is crap no offense to the elementary friend.

The people who like buns: a) never made a great burger themselves b) never ordered a great burger c) convenience factor when drunk / high
Agree on all points. Amazing at 4AM and horrible at 4PM. Really simple recipe and very bland but they are always fresh so it's better than most fast food joints.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 11:34 PM
hockeyfan2k11

The pizza in Toronto isn't really that great. I just love how the pizza in Quebec puts the cheese on top.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can't be. Please tell me no. They were amazing for so long. When did it change?

Phew... okay, I'll go there and check it out.
Oh man, never eat at Luna's. Very dirty. I even remember something in the papers about their hygiene and food safety infractions.

I am no pizza expert, I don't eat out often and when I do it's usually not pizza, but since you're in the west island try Spano's pizza on st-charles, there's also one in DDO on sunnybrooke. Nice greek owned pizza shop, was never disappointed. Order the deluxe!

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Galchenyuk94

On another note, I just had my first decent fish n chips in Montreal since coming back from england and norhtern ireland. Brit and Chips on cotes des neiges (and theres one on mcgill too) is the only one ice tried that comes close. Anyone else have some suggestions for good ones?

I tried them at Gordon Ramsays restaurant (or ex restaurant) on Laurier thinking an englishman could get it right but they were soft, limp and to quote him, looked like a wet diaper.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 08:50 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
By the way what's a montreal style pizza?

There's a restaurant in ottawa that sells a montreal style pizza and the top is covered with crust.. hard to explain but there's crust on the bottom and on the top. Kind of like a pizza pocket.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
By the way what's a montreal style pizza?

There's a restaurant in ottawa that sells a montreal style pizza and the top is covered with crust.. hard to explain but there's crust on the bottom and on the top. Kind of like a pizza pocket.
That more common in NY.

Here is lotsa cheese on top

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
PricePkPatch

Man, I'm just back from Boustan.

I swear they put crack in their food. Everytime I eat there I get an irrational happy feeling..

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Oh man, never eat at Luna's. Very dirty. I even remember something in the papers about their hygiene and food safety infractions.

I am no pizza expert, I don't eat out often and when I do it's usually not pizza, but since you're in the west island try Spano's pizza on st-charles, there's also one in DDO on sunnybrooke. Nice greek owned pizza shop, was never disappointed. Order the deluxe!
After some of the suggestions in this thread I

1) Tried Giovanni's in Oakville. Not quite Montreal pizza but excellent by TO's standards.

2) I actually called Mama's on St. Charles and found out that they in fact are the former owners of Luna's and apparently still make the same pizza. So I'll definitely go there next time I'm in town.

3) As for Luna's... I still gotta try them again when I go back. Too much history with that place to give up on them. Makes me very sad to hear some of the comments here but a few years back I thought it was pretty good. Minor changes throughout the years, it's not as good as it was in the 80s but I still loved it. Really nice to hear that at least the folks who had the place in the 90s are out there...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:03 PM
AntonCH

Sadly, true Montreal style pizza is losing ground to the swill they call 2-1 pizza and the gawd awful imitators they spawned.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:22 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
On another note, I just had my first decent fish n chips in Montreal since coming back from england and norhtern ireland. Brit and Chips on cotes des neiges (and theres one on mcgill too) is the only one ice tried that comes close. Anyone else have some suggestions for good ones?

I tried them at Gordon Ramsays restaurant (or ex restaurant) on Laurier thinking an englishman could get it right but they were soft, limp and to quote him, looked like a wet diaper.
Don't know if it's still there but I had some good fish n chips on de L'Eglise in Verdun about 5 years ago. They had cod or halibut. Mmmm. Now I'm hungry again.

peate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
panayiotis

oh yeah

Quote:
Saputo forces all the pizza parlors to use their cheese ... no joke.
the joints got to pay a 300% mark up on cheese.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 11:55 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Sadly, true Montreal style pizza is losing ground to the swill they call 2-1 pizza and the gawd awful imitators they spawned.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
the joints got to pay a 300% mark up on cheese.
i hate the saputos... not only do they rip off owners, they screw the consumers

on top of it all, they build a sports franchise and locate them in the east end...but that's OT

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Clipitar

Quote:

I'd say comptoir21 on St-Viateur. Tried it a couple of times and it's really decent. Not exactly reminiscent of the ones I've had as a 7-year-old with my father on the southeast English shore, but you won't get the limp Ramsay garbage for sure.

May not be as good as that Brit & Chips joint though. I've definitely got to try it.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Mr. Steer

Mr. Steer

Mr. Steer
Seconded.

Became a classic for me several years back every time I go see a game live. Their meat is flawless. And gotta love that cheap "French vinaigrette" salad they serve right when you order.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:16 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Seconded.

Became a classic for me several years back every time I go see a game live. Their meat is flawless. And gotta love that cheap "French vinaigrette" salad they serve right when you order.
Can't say that I agree with your opinion of Mr. Steer. I went there once with a friend and had a small, fat, overly charred burger. My friend had the steak-flavored piece of fat.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
agreed

i hate the saputos... not only do they rip off owners, they screw the consumers

on top of it all, they build a sports franchise and locate them in the east end...but that's OT
At least they built something and didn't use our money to do so. He didn't have to invest and risk losing money in the MLS. Anyways if being in the East end was such a problem, in what 4-5 home games he wouldn't have got 50 000 people in attendance twice! You don't need to like the guy but he does help this city a lot more than you think and that's without talking about all donations he has made in hospitals in recent years

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
Can't say that I agree with your opinion of Mr. Steer. I went there once with a friend and had a small, fat, overly charred burger. My friend had the steak-flavored piece of fat.
Well, their burgers are 1/4 pounders "mini" burgers. That's their signature, though some may not like that style. I really find their ground meat delicious and never got it overly charred. Wouldn't order a steak there though, that's for sure.