HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread | Offseason Recon: Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
backhandsauce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Rumors? What rumors? I haven't heard anything other than pipe dreams from HF posters.
If they trade #1 for Staal I'd be rattled. He isn't 80 point potential.

Suter, I would take in a heart beat. So would 29 other teams.

Let's say we do sign Suter. I really think we would need a guy to accomidate him like Weber did in Nashville. Garrison is a poor mans Weber, he could be a nice option to ride shot gunn with Suter.

Suter-Garrison
Whitney-N.Schultz
Petry-Smid

That is a solid top 6.

I'm liking Prust but I'm thinking he gets north of 3 a year.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Requesting imput as research for possible proposal.

I'm always saying after Girardi Rangers have no lefty major D prospects, all righty.

Martin Gernat + Martin Marincin are tall, with upside.
Could balance that out for NY with them alongside NY prospects like Noreau and Ceresniak

So without any of us going crazy what is your guess as to projection for these guys and what do you REALISTICALLY want for them now?

Thanks in advance for feedback.
I'd trade them both for a Top-4 defenseman right now. Otherwise, we're hurting for defensemen help and we're banking on the pipeline to produce one in the next 3-4 years. Between these two and Klefbom, they are out best shot.

So unless we're getting Staal or MDZ, I think we're better off keeping them and hoping for one of them to pan out.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
If they trade #1 for Staal I'd be rattled. He isn't 80 point potential.

Suter, I would take in a heart beat. So would 29 other teams.

Let's say we do sign Suter. I really think we would need a guy to accomidate him like Weber did in Nashville. Garrison is a poor mans Weber, he could be a nice option to ride shot gunn with Suter.

Suter-Garrison
Whitney-N.Schultz
Petry-Smid

That is a solid top 6.

I'm liking Prust but I'm thinking he gets north of 3 a year.
Not sold on Garrison, having a banner year going into free agency needs to be treated with caution.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:49 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I'd trade them both for a Top-4 defenseman right now. Otherwise, we're hurting for defensemen help and we're banking on the pipeline to produce one in the next 3-4 years. Between these two and Klefbom, they are out best shot.

So unless we're getting Staal or MDZ, I think we're better off keeping them and hoping for one of them to pan out.
I hear you. Thinking some established D for potential D with upside could work.
However, Staal is returning to form as top shutdown D in the league, who could be #1 on many clubs. Del Zotto is closer, but he's only 4th because of how great are McD + Girardi + Staal ahead of him; many places he's a 1 or 2.

My thinking is, for a big deal, more like Stralman (closer to a real 4th) or Bickel (a 5th) + additional value. Maybe Stralman + Bickel + Biron (who helps as stopgap in G and can tutor your up and coming prospects) + a 3rd for your 2nd.

Or something smaller...

Old
05-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Hemsky4PM

Big no on Garrison. Not sold at all. He probably gets Souray or Wisniewski money too. No thanks. Suter would only sign here on a MASSIVE overpay. I'm talking Brian Campbell overpay. Again, no thanks.

Wait for a trade using Gagner/Paajarvi/Hemsky as the piece going the other way. Draft Yakupov and don't over-think it.

I really think we need to target 2 second pairing guys this off-season, don't waste time with the Suter sweepstakes or the obvious overpays (Garrison, Carle, Wideman).

I'm talking Michal Rozsival, Jonny Oduya, Francis Boullion (getting old though), Chris Campoli, Kent Huskins, etc.

2 guys who can step in and simply be better than two of our current guys (namely Sutton, Potter and Peckham).

Old
05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
joestevens29

After thinking for awhile I wonder if there is even a rollback? If the players are to agree to a smaller chunk of the pie going forward they could very well fight for no rollback on their current contracts.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

What do you guys think it would take to get another top 10 pick? I'd be interested to see trades that you would be willing to put together. Whether you are pursing Murray, Dumba, Galchenyuk, Reinhart or whoever.

I'm tempted albeit reluctant to dangle assets like Gagner, Paajarvi, and Hemsky to see what kind of return we can get.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Lessy

Quote:
However, Staal is returning to form as top shutdown D in the league, who could be #1 on many clubs. Del Zotto is closer, but he's only 4th because of how great are McD + Girardi + Staal ahead of him; many places he's a 1 or 2.

My thinking is, for a big deal, more like Stralman (closer to a real 4th) or Bickel (a 5th) + additional value. Maybe Stralman + Bickel + Biron (who helps as stopgap in G and can tutor your up and coming prospects) + a 3rd for your 2nd.

Or something smaller...
I think the Oilers might have interest in Dubinsky simply because he's a big gritty versatile forward; something the Oilers don't have. They do have a bunch of D prospects with good upside that may be expendable. Obviously the Oilers would have to add to Marincin/Gernat to get Dubinsky but the Rangers might look to move him to create cap room as he hasn't exactly been a good year. This opens up a move for the Oilers to move Gagner for immediate defensive help.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Dubinsky-Hemsky

Old
05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
czar99

For the record I'm against trading PRV unless it's something substantial coming back. I was against all the trade talk around Smid a year or two ago and I'm against trading PRV in the same fashion. PRV is going to develop into a nice player for the Oilers just like Smid has turned into a nice player as well.

Last edited by czar99: 05-15-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Cause I can ;)
Old
05-15-2012, 02:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
What do you guys think it would take to get another top 10 pick? I'd be interested to see trades that you would be willing to put together. Whether you are pursing Murray, Dumba, Galchenyuk, Reinhart or whoever.

I'm tempted albeit reluctant to dangle assets like Gagner, Paajarvi, and Hemsky to see what kind of return we can get.
I don't think it's going to be easy this year. Teams are going to have very different top 10's imo and someone is going to get a player they have ranked a lot higher a lot later than expected.

After the past couple years of seeing a guy like Fowler drop and then Couturier, if I'm a GM i'm not moving my first unless it's a huge overpayment.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Not sold on Garrison, having a banner year going into free agency needs to be treated with caution.
Totally agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Big no on Garrison. Not sold at all. He probably gets Souray or Wisniewski money too. No thanks. Suter would only sign here on a MASSIVE overpay. I'm talking Brian Campbell overpay. Again, no thanks.
Agreed that he will probably get something stupid like this and never come close to living up to the contract.

Quote:

I have no interest in getting more magic beans. If anything, we should be moving guys like Gagner and PRV for experienced players, not complete unknows.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:21 PM
belair

Quote:
Requesting imput as research for possible proposal.

I'm always saying after Girardi Rangers have no lefty major D prospects, all righty.

Martin Gernat + Martin Marincin are tall, with upside.
Could balance that out for NY with them alongside NY prospects like Noreau and Ceresniak

So without any of us going crazy what is your guess as to projection for these guys and what do you REALISTICALLY want for them now?

Thanks in advance for feedback.
Isn't Girardi a righty?

McDonaugh, Del Zotto and Staal are your lefties. And I think the Martins are a few years away from competing for those positions.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
For the record I'm against trading PRV unless it's something substantial coming back. I was against all the trade talk around Smid a year or two ago and I'm against trading PRV in the same fashion. PRV is going to develop into a nice player for the Oilers just like Smidgen has turned into a nice player as well.
I agree 100%. I'm startled at how quickly he has totally fallen out of favor with so many people.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I agree 100%. I'm startled at how quickly he has totally fallen out of favor with so many people.
Not to mention switching the guy to Centre or...(gulp)...Defense.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Fourier

Quote:

I would ask, why trade these guys for a top-4 dman when the team already has 4. But I see from the rest of your post that you are looking at Staal and MDZ. I think this illustrates an issue that I have always had. The scope of what consitutes a top-4 dman in the NHL is huge.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No kidding. Take a look at a big body like Kopitar and how effective he is even though he's not throwing his body around all the time. Obviously Paajarvii's got skill and he's displayed how he can use that one-timer of his for the Barons, so give him some time to learn how to use his body at the NHL level and he's gonna do some damage. He was playing in the SEL as a teenager before his body developped so he's not used to having an advantage size-wise.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Koto

Quote:

Or something smaller...
Not interested in that offer, would rather keep our D prospects and hope a couple develop into good players. Stralman or bickel arent going to solve any problems for us.

Quote:

It would take a lot, i mean flat out i dont think you could get anything prior to 7/8, does trading one of those guys for a 10 really help us that much? I suppose i'd trade gagner for that if we could upgrade on him internally/UFA.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Soundwave

I can see the Oilers being interested in Anton Stralman.

What would be the asking price?

Perhaps Omark + a 3rd?

Sign him plus Bryan Allen to a 3 year deal and it could address some issues for us

Smid Whitney
Allen Petry
Schultz Stralman

Last edited by Soundwave: 05-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I would ask, why trade these guys for a top-4 dman when the team already has 4. But I see from the rest of your post that you are looking at Staal and MDZ. I think this illustrates an issue that I have always had. The scope of what consitutes a top-4 dman in the NHL is huge.
I'm assuming you see Petry, Smid, Whitney, and Schultz as Top-4 defensemen?

I don't disagree, but I'd like some Whitney insurance incase his mobility doesn't return after an offseason of strengthening.

Also, when it comes to defenseman, you can never have enough good defensemen IMO. Especially when you look at that group and none of them can be classified as a top pairing guy you can throw out there to munch minutes.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Fourier

Quote:
I'm assuming you see Petry, Smid, Whitney, and Schultz as Top-4 defensemen?

I don't disagree, but I'd like some Whitney insurance incase his mobility doesn't return after an offseason of strengthening.

Also, when it comes to defenseman, you can never have enough good defensemen IMO. Especially when you look at that group and none of them can be classified as a top pairing guy you can throw out there to munch minutes.
Whitney does not have to improve much to be a top 4 defensemen on most teams. If his mobility returns he is much better than that. Of course we still need to see what Petry has in him, but if he simply stays where he finished last year he also is a top 4 dman. Smid and Schultz I think are clear.

I have no problem with adding depth but I do think you need to be careful in trading away players that have the potential to be much better than the run of the mill defender. I say this even if I do also acknowledge that the odds of them reaching that potential might not be great.

Marincin and Gernat both have substantial upside. They are very big guys who can skate and handle the puck. Marincin has some excellent qualities to his two way game and Gernat has very good offensive instinct and skills. But with all young defenders only time will tell what you really have.

Why trade these guys if the return is probably going to be no better than you could normally expect to get on the FA market? Certainly you are not getting Staal or MDZ for even both of these guys. From a team like NY you are looking at a Stralman-level defender. If you want someone better you either have to take another prospect or a guy like Schenn who has had a bad year and hope that he bounces back.

At this stage in the rebuild it makes sense for the Oilers to be more aggressive in trying to improve there defense by FA or by trading some of there excess forwards. If they sign Schultz then they really need one guy. If not they need to add two vets. I would guess that they can get these guys for much less than the cost of half of there top backend prospects.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:13 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
No kidding. Take a look at a big body like Kopitar and how effective he is even though he's not throwing his body around all the time. Obviously Paajarvii's got skill and he's displayed how he can use that one-timer of his for the Barons, so give him some time to learn how to use his body at the NHL level and he's gonna do some damage. He was playing in the SEL as a teenager before his body developped so he's not used to having an advantage size-wise.
Maybe, maybe not. Not all skilled players with size are able to put it all together.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:43 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I do not want to trade Marincin, Gernat or Klefa. I'd think about any of our other D prospects but I agree with Fourier.

Anyway I think the issue shouldn't be that we need another "top 4" d-man but simply that we need a PMD.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

This is something me and a couple of my buddies were talking about. San Jose seems to want a retooling of some sorts, so what do you guys think of a deal like this?

To EDM:
Logan Couture
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

To SJS:
1st Overall 2012 (Yakupov)
Sam Gagner
Linus Omark/3rd Round Pick

Gives us an amazing center combination, as well as gives us a true top-pairing two way defenseman. San Jose gets a player who can adequately replace Couture, and Yakupov + Thornton would be filthy.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Something i heard from a direct source saturday night. The washington capitals players were told in their exit interviews that there will significant changes for next season coaching/player wise. obviously hunter has left but i wonder who else from the caps we might be interested in, they do have some great talent it just isnt clicking together there.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Something i heard from a direct source saturday night. The washington capitals players were told in their exit interviews that there will significant changes for next season coaching/player wise. obviously hunter has left but i wonder who else from the caps we might be interested in, they do have some great talent it just isnt clicking together there.
Semin leaving would/will be huge. Green/Wideman could both be gone which would also be huge. Vokoun/Neuvrith, I'd think at least one is gone. Does Brooks Laich get dealt?

Closed Thread