HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Would you take Carle back?

View Poll Results: Would you like to re-sign carle?
Yes 38 23.60%
No 123 76.40%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
  #151
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Honestly go back to hockeybuzz then.
Never been on Hockeybuzz. Do you have anything relevant to contribute?

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
  #152
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Never been on Hockeybuzz. Do you have anything relevant to contribute?
Eh, I had my fun. I'll put you back on ignore and let everyone else handle you.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
  #153
Bort Sampson
Registered User
 
Bort Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammock District
Country: United States
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
They absolutely do play man to man at times in the defensive zone. I love guys like you. Offer something like this and can't back it up. Want to review highlights of games, and see how they play man to man?

What I'm asking for is some kind of proof.
No, they don't.

Just wow.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
  #154
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, I had my fun. I'll put you back on ignore and let everyone else handle you.
I would advise you do that also. Because you can't handle me. It's a losing proposition for you. I have the facts on my side.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
  #155
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
No, they don't.

Just wow.
Like I said. We can review game highlights and see how they play man to man. Are you ready to do so?

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
  #156
Bort Sampson
Registered User
 
Bort Sampson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hammock District
Country: United States
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Like I said. We can review game highlights and see how they play man to man. Are you ready to do so?
Go ahead?

I'm not going to be here to see it. I'm barely here anymore.

But I'll say this to anyone that comes here: when the Flyers put a defenseman in front of the net with no forwards around him (at 5-on-5), I win this argument automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I would advise you do that also. Because you can't handle me. It's a losing proposition for you. I have the facts on my side.
hahahahahahaha

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
  #157
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Go ahead?

I'm not going to be here to see it. I'm barely here anymore.

But I'll say this to anyone that comes here: when the Flyers put a defenseman in front of the net with no forwards around him (at 5-on-5), I win this argument automatically.



hahahahahahaha
But you say that you've played the game. There are many situations in Hockey that require different coverages. Some times it's combinations of coverages. Combinations of zone and man to man. Again, did you even read the article you linked on Byslma? He clearly talks about that.

I'm willing to look at game highlights and see what they play. What's the problem?

Why can't anyone provide any factual evidence to support the negative stance that some have on Carle. If anyone wants to have a legitimate unbiased conversation on Carle, I'm willing. He has his shortcomings like any player does. What's the problem?

Here's a game highlight of a goal scored against the Flyers where the coverage is clearly man to man. From the Devils series.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...PHI564&lang=en


Last edited by VanSciver: 05-15-2012 at 06:36 PM.
VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
  #158
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,649
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
If I don't know what I'm talking about, then it shouldn't be too hard to prove me wrong. So what's the problem?



I'm just looking for one article, or any kind of proof by any metric, any bit of factual evidence from any of the Carle detractors, that backs up their statements. Anything. If what they say is true, it has to be out there.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ee-agency-2012

http://thehockeyguys.net/matt-carle-vs-ryan-suter/

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...ne-impact.html

Now it's your turn.
You've quoted BSH, a website with a clear bias towards Carle who desperately twists any stat they can to support their view while ignoring anything that makes Carle look bad. BSH once compared him to Chara and Lidstrom. Hardly a good source, definitely no better than the general opinion formulated by the hivemind of the Flyers fanbase...the opinion that is, generally, that Carle is decent but flawed and definitely not worth a big cap hit. I mean, let's be real: they say Carle is the same as Suter. That's insanity. Anybody with a shred of sense knows Suter is better than Carle by a good margin.

Dustin Leed: Just ruined any credibility he might have by spewing stats without context to claim Carle is equal to Suter. Suter is more effective than Carle. When Carle was playing with Pronger, he looked worse than he did without him because he was routinely facing top competition and getting abused. Suter faces the same sort of competition with Weber and holds his own. That's without going into the fact that Corsi may not exactly be a reliable stat. It's one that I've stopped looking at long ago, and I believe someone posted an article a month ago that indicated that GMs don't take it into account. There's a reason that everyone in the hockey world is predicting that Suter will pull down a bigger contract than Carle; it's because Suter is much better than Carle. Dustin Leed isn't exactly a renowned hockey mind, either. You talk about using common sense; let's use some for a second: People say (in ARTICLES, nonetheless) that Suter may may 7 mil, while Carle might make 5mil. What does that tell you about their respective value? How can they be equal, if these ARTICLES have said such things??

The 3rd article is the only one that can be considered credible, and all it really says is "hey, Carle isn't terrible like some people say." That's unimpressive and doesn't do lots to prove your point; since you seem to argue that Carle has no flaws (since you debate anybody who suggests any part of his game is flawed), you're going to be hard pressed to find a believable, reliable article that proves you right. "He isn't terrrible" =/= "He is incredible."

This is Carle: He is average defensively on a good day; he can't be trusted to shut down top lines, but handles the rest reliably which is why he sees such minutes. He racks up assists by handing the puck to skilled forwards, but there are limits to his offensive ability. His lack of a strong shot that can have any sort of impact is an issue; the Flyers were sorely lacking a good point shot through the playoffs. He often looks lost on the point during PPs, and tying Coburn for goals in the regular season is less than impressive for a guy with such vaunted offensive ability.

The question is...do we REALLY want to tie 5ish million dollars to Carle, a guy who can't be a #1? Or do we want to let him walk, pay Suter, and move Timonen to a lower pairing? Timonen can do Carle's job better than Carle. Suter can possibly take over the top role. I'd rather use that money to fill the top role and move Timonen down to Carle's slot, than see if Timonen can spend another season as a #1 so Carle can make more money.


You also shouldn't buy too much into what Holmgren is saying. He said the same sort of things about Leino last year, and he isn't a Flyer anymore. GMs say lots of things. Also, just because an article says something doesn't make it irrefutable, undoubtable truth. Articles also say lots of things, lots of them end up not being right.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
  #159
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
And I think your going to find in the very near future, that Paul Holmgren does not agree with you.
What has Paul Holmgren ever won?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
  #160
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
You've quoted BSH, a website with a clear bias towards Carle who desperately twists any stat they can to support their view while ignoring anything that makes Carle look bad. BSH once compared him to Chara and Lidstrom. Hardly a good source, definitely no better than the general opinion formulated by the hivemind of the Flyers fanbase...the opinion that is, generally, that Carle is decent but flawed and definitely not worth a big cap hit. I mean, let's be real: they say Carle is the same as Suter. That's insanity. Anybody with a shred of sense knows Suter is better than Carle by a good margin.
It's an excellent source. Because the author clearly offers factual data to back up his opinion. He didn't twist a single stat. He offered reasonable deductions based on facts. Which clearly, you haven't. And the worse source is the Flyers fanbase. It's not a legitimate source by any means. For obvious reasons that are proven on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Dustin Leed: Just ruined any credibility he might have by spewing stats without context to claim Carle is equal to Suter. Suter is more effective than Carle. When Carle was playing with Pronger, he looked worse than he did without him because he was routinely facing top competition and getting abused. Suter faces the same sort of competition with Weber and holds his own. That's without going into the fact that Corsi may not exactly be a reliable stat. It's one that I've stopped looking at long ago, and I believe someone posted an article a month ago that indicated that GMs don't take it into account. There's a reason that everyone in the hockey world is predicting that Suter will pull down a bigger contract than Carle; it's because Suter is much better than Carle. Dustin Leed isn't exactly a renowned hockey mind, either.
Again the factual data says that Carle put up better numbers without Pronger then with him. One of the articles points out with facts how Carle put up some elite numbers, playing large amounts of time without Pronger. Suter is going to pull down a bigger contract then Carle is. Because he is a better player then Carle. But he is not much better. Both authors offer credible facts that back that up. You can make frivolous claims that Leed isn't exactly a renowned Hockey mind. But he's brough far more to the table then you have to make his point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
The 3rd article is the only one that can be considered credible, and all it really says is "hey, Carle isn't terrible like some people say." That's unimpressive and doesn't do lots to prove your point; since you seem to argue that Carle has no flaws (since you debate anybody who suggests any part of his game is flawed), you're going to be hard pressed to find a believable, reliable article that proves you right. "He isn't terrrible" =/= "He is incredible."
I have never once stated or argued that Carle has no flaws. That is an incorrect statement by you. And here is what the article really says, that you must have missed. The author talks about how Carle is perceived around the NHL. As does the other articles mention the same thing.

"In Philadelphia, Carles value often goes unrecognized. Some Flyers fans may see him as overrated, someone who commits turnovers and accomplishes little when hes not paired with Chris Pronger.

The fact is that is not how Carle is viewed around the NHL, where opposing general managers see him as an under-appreciated, cerebral skater who fluidly transitions from zone-to-zone with little effort. While not overly physical, Carle does not shy away from contact and he is durable. Hes missed just 2 games over the last 3 seasons.

Most noticeably, Carle is consistent nightly, strong positionally and steady with the puck on the power play."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
This is Carle: He is average defensively on a good day; he can't be trusted to shut down top lines, but handles the rest reliably which is why he sees such minutes. He racks up assists by handing the puck to skilled forwards, but there are limits to his offensive ability. His lack of a strong shot that can have any sort of impact is an issue; the Flyers were sorely lacking a good point shot through the playoffs. He often looks lost on the point during PPs, and tying Coburn for goals in the regular season is less than impressive.
None of what you say here can be backed up with facts. Read the bias here. Are the other defenseman on the team handling the puck to the same forwards? Or are they playing with a different team of forwards? How come the other defenseman aren't racking up assists? Your right, a weakness of Carle is that he doesn't shoot the puck particularly well. And he's not a great goal scorer from the back end. That is the biggest area where Suter is better then Carle. But you know how many PP goals Suter has in the last two Seasons? He has 4. Guess how many Carle has? And you incorrect that Carle looks lost on the PP. The 3rd article states how he is looked at in that area around the League. And if you want, we can break down the statistical data of Carle on the PP compared to other defenseman around the League. ready when you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
The question is...do we REALLY want to tie 5ish million dollars to Carle, a guy who can't be a #1? Or do we want to let him walk, pay Suter, and move Timonen to a lower pairing? Timonen can do Carle's job better than Carle. Suter can possibly take over the top role. I'd rather use that money to fill the top role and move Timonen down to Carle's slot, than see if Timonen can spend another season as a #1 so Carle can make more money.
Here's another fallacy that I read often. #1 defenseman make far more then 5M in Salary a year. So he wouldn't be paid anywhere near like a #1. Timonen has one year left. You have to question if Suter is worth what it would take to sign him. I would say no. He would be an upgrade over Carle. But how much of an upgrade. There are only a few areas where Suter is superior to Carle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
You also shouldn't buy too much into what Holmgren is saying. He said the same sort of things about Leino last year, and he isn't a Flyer anymore. GMs say lots of things. Also, just because an article says something doesn't make it irrefutable, undoubtable truth. Articles also say lots of things, lots of them end up not being right.
No what he was saying about Leino and Carle is different. Holmgren flat out basically said that the only reason Carle hasn't been signed yet is due to tagging issues. And that he doesn't see a problem getting it done. And Holmgren has obviously talked to the agent. It's not 100% a done deal, but when a GM says things like he has about Carle, it's almost a certainty.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
  #161
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
What has Paul Holmgren ever won?
What has any of the posters on here ever won. Holmgren has been a NHL player, Coach, Assistant GM, and GM.

I'm amazed more and more every day by the statements made on this website. I really am.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
  #162
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,607
vCash: 500
Can I just ask one question here, instead of using all these ****** corsi and fenwick stats, has anyone ever even watched Suter play in a game? I feel like all these arguments are being based off of just stats alone. Suter outplays Carle in every aspect of the game, I saw it about 30 times this year. I've seen the two players play a ton and can say just from watching, that Suter is a MUCH better hockey player then Carle. I don't even think Carle is a horrible defender, not a 5 millionish one though.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
  #163
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 33,649
vCash: 156
I said my piece, and I'm not changing my mind. Nothing you can say is going to alter my position on Carle, his abilities, or his worth to the team relative to signing Suter instead. I've based this opinion on years of watching him as a Flyer. You aren't going to change my mind because of a couple articles I disagree with, and all the condescension in the world won't fix that. My position is just as valid as yours, even though I know you will disagree haughtily because of something someone else said somewhere.

So, I've said what I have to say, and I'm done. I've been down this road before, and I know it's less productive and worthwhile than smashing my head open with a hammer and using the claw to tear my brain out.

You can claim that what you say are facts. That doesn't make it any more true or valid than my opinion. Watch this: My opinion is fact, because other humans agree. See, I can do it too.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:04 PM
  #164
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
What has any of the posters on here ever won. Holmgren has been a NHL player, Coach, Assistant GM, and GM.
And he has won what?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I'm amazed more and more every day by the statements made on this website. I really am.
OK, I'll play. What have you ever won? What NHL team has ever paid you to analyze talent?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:06 PM
  #165
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Can I just ask one question here, instead of using all these ****** corsi and fenwick stats, has anyone ever even watched Suter play in a game? I feel like all these arguments are being based off of just stats alone. Suter outplays Carle in every aspect of the game, I saw it about 30 times this year. I've seen the two players play a ton and can say just from watching, that Suter is a MUCH better hockey player then Carle. I don't even think Carle is a horrible defender, not a 5 millionish one though.
Suter is an upgrade over Carle. But he is not a much better player then Carle is. Both players are comparable in a lot of areas. I feel Suter is better as a PP point man, has a better shot, and is slightly more physical. But not by a lot. Carle is a better shot blocker, better puck mover, and better at Even strength offensively. Both player are comparable defensively. Carle at 5M on a 4 year deal or so. Or Suter at 7+M a year, or a longer term deal front loaded to lower the Cap hit. I don't feel that Suter is the right player for that type of deal.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
  #166
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Suter is an upgrade over Carle. But he is not a much better player then Carle is. Both players are comparable in a lot of areas. I feel Suter is better as a PP point man, has a better shot, and is slightly more physical. But not by a lot. Carle is a better shot blocker, better puck mover, and better at Even strength offensively. Both player are comparable defensively. Carle at 5M on a 4 year deal or so. Or Suter at 7+M a year, or a longer term deal front loaded to lower the Cap hit. I don't feel that Suter is the right player for that type of deal.
So you want Salisbury Steak instead of Filet Mignon?

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:11 PM
  #167
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I said my piece, and I'm not changing my mind. Nothing you can say is going to alter my position on Carle, his abilities, or his worth to the team relative to signing Suter instead. I've based this opinion on years of watching him as a Flyer. You aren't going to change my mind because of a couple articles I disagree with, and all the condescension in the world won't fix that. My position is just as valid as yours, even though I know you will disagree haughtily because of something someone else said somewhere.

So, I've said what I have to say, and I'm done. I've been down this road before, and I know it's less productive and worthwhile than smashing my head open with a hammer and using the claw to tear my brain out.

You can claim that what you say are facts. That doesn't make it any more true or valid than my opinion. Watch this: My opinion is fact, because other humans agree. See, I can do it too.
I have zero interest in changing your mind. I could really care less about that. I'm simply trying to show that your opinion can't be backed up with facts to support it. I've offered information that contains factual evidence to support my opinion. You have not, and cannot. That's what clearly makes my opinion more valid then yours. I haven't offered other humans agreeing as facts. I've offered the actual facts in the articles I posted as facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
And he has won what?????



OK, I'll play. What have you ever won? What NHL team has ever paid you to analyze talent?
I never made any claims to winning anything or ever being paid to analyze talent. I don't see how what Holmgren has won is relevant. he clearly has the credentials to back up his opinion as a professional Hockey man. Who is paid to analyze talent.


Last edited by VanSciver: 05-15-2012 at 07:57 PM.
VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
  #168
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Suter is an upgrade over Carle. But he is not a much better player then Carle is. Both players are comparable in a lot of areas. I feel Suter is better as a PP point man, has a better shot, and is slightly more physical. But not by a lot. Carle is a better shot blocker, better puck mover, and better at Even strength offensively. Both player are comparable defensively. Carle at 5M on a 4 year deal or so. Or Suter at 7+M a year, or a longer term deal front loaded to lower the Cap hit. I don't feel that Suter is the right player for that type of deal.
Suter is plenty better down on the boards then Carle is. Suter uses his body and positioning better then I have ever seen Carle do. They aren't even defensively. I would take Suter defensively 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over Carle. Carle has problem with bigger forwards down low, I rarely see Suter struggle with anyone really behind the net. He is a rock back there. (I also know he makes mistakes, but all players do). Carle though makes extremely costly mistakes that kill the team.

On the contracts, Carle will get probably right under 5 million if he wants that "discount" to play for the Flyers. Suter will not get a 7 million cap hit because he has stated that he wants one contract for the rest of his career. He will have more years and a lower cap. I would expect him to be as high as 6.7 and as low as Duncan Kieth type contract. Which would make Suter the much more intelligent signing.

You also have to remember that Suter is what the Flyers exactly need, The PP shot is what this team is so sorely in search of since Pronger went down. A majority of fans I would say want him specifically for that reason alone. But saying Carle and Suter are in the same boat is foolish I think. Carle while is a very serviceable dman, Suter is an All-star that can take over the #1 role on his own. Carle isn't the number one on this team, he is the 3 behind a healthy Kimmo and Coburn. Suter on this team would be a bonafide #1 above the rest.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
  #169
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post

While not overly physical, Carle does not shy away from contact and he is durable. Hes missed just 2 games over the last 3 seasons.

Most noticeably, Carle is consistent nightly,

hahah i cant even beelvie you bothered to repost that first above statement..

Carle is easily one of the softest LEAST likely to make contact Dmen i've ever suffered throu watching on the flyers..

i swear to god the guy is afraid of human contact.. the only pressure he EVER applies in the corners (and you hardly ever even see that) is mostly stick work.. he simply is NOT a guy you can expect to see working the corners and forcing players to cough up pucks due to checks or agresive physical pressure.

soooooo many times during the season in GDT's all you read when Carle is in the corner (or avoiding if usualy) is people posting about how soft Carle is and a total lack of checking/using his body directly against the opposing player to stop/slow them...

but feel free to keep drinking that Carle kool-aid, matter not to me..im gunna enjoy reading the threads on teh day Carle is gone..

enjoy it immensely..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
  #170
Giroux 4 MVP
Girux #28
 
Giroux 4 MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
I came to this site for passionate hockey fans like myself, not aimless banter. Flyers do not play a man to man system, simple as that, why do u guys gotta go crazy on one another? Watch any flyers game this year and you will see no man to man.....

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
  #171
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Suter is plenty better down on the boards then Carle is. Suter uses his body and positioning better then I have ever seen Carle do. They aren't even defensively. I would take Suter defensively 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over Carle. Carle has problem with bigger forwards down low, I rarely see Suter struggle with anyone really behind the net. He is a rock back there. (I also know he makes mistakes, but all players do). Carle though makes extremely costly mistakes that kill the team.

On the contracts, Carle will get probably right under 5 million if he wants that "discount" to play for the Flyers. Suter will not get a 7 million cap hit because he has stated that he wants one contract for the rest of his career. He will have more years and a lower cap. I would expect him to be as high as 6.7 and as low as Duncan Kieth type contract. Which would make Suter the much more intelligent signing.

You also have to remember that Suter is what the Flyers exactly need, The PP shot is what this team is so sorely in search of since Pronger went down. A majority of fans I would say want him specifically for that reason alone. But saying Carle and Suter are in the same boat is foolish I think. Carle while is a very serviceable dman, Suter is an All-star that can take over the #1 role on his own. Carle isn't the number one on this team, he is the 3 behind a healthy Kimmo and Coburn. Suter on this team would be a bonafide #1 above the rest.
I disagree that Suter is the type of player that you should sign to a long term front loaded deal to lower the Cap hit. Not saying that he can't or won't get that type of deal. Because is he goes to Free Agency, teams will be bidding over him. As he is the best available UFA defenseman. I disagree that Suter is significantly better defensively. They are comparable. Suter is a little bigger, and I would give him the edge physically over Carle. Carle does not have problems with bigger forwards down low. For a smaller defenseman, he handles that quite well. But Carle is not a physical force by any means. And he makes some mistakes like any player, but they are rare. He is very consistent in his own end.
Carle is without a doubt a #2 NHL defenseman. He is a better all round player then Coburn is. I think it's a stretch to label Suter a #1. More like a very good #2.

I agree 100% that the Flyers need a big shot for the point. And that Suter upgrades the Flyers in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
hahah i cant even beelvie you bothered to repost that first above statement..

Carle is easily one of the softest LEAST likely to make contact Dmen i've ever suffered throu watching on the flyers..

i swear to god the guy is afraid of human contact.. the only pressure he EVER applies in the corners (and you hardly ever even see that) is mostly stick work.. he simply is NOT a guy you can expect to see working the corners and forcing players to cough up pucks due to checks or agresive physical pressure.

soooooo many times during the season in GDT's all you read when Carle is in the corner (or avoiding if usualy) is people posting about how soft Carle is and a total lack of checking/using his body directly against the opposing player to stop/slow them...

but feel free to keep drinking that Carle kool-aid, matter not to me..im gunna enjoy reading the threads on teh day Carle is gone..

enjoy it immensely..
Thanks for offering that fact filled commentary. I mean how could I possibly refute any of that? LOL

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:30 PM
  #172
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
I came to this site for passionate hockey fans like myself, not aimless banter. Flyers do not play a man to man system, simple as that, why do u guys gotta go crazy on one another? Watch any flyers game this year and you will see no man to man.....
Here's some man to man for you! LOL

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...PHI564&lang=en

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
  #173
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I disagree that Suter is the type of player that you should sign to a long term front loaded deal to lower the Cap hit. Not saying that he can't or won't get that type of deal. Because is he goes to Free Agency, teams will be bidding over him. As he is the best available UFA defenseman. I disagree that Suter is significantly better defensively. They are comparable. Suter is a little bigger, and I would give him the edge physically over Carle. Carle does not have problems with bigger forwards down low. For a smaller defenseman, he handles that quite well. But Carle is not a physical force by any means. And he makes some mistakes like any player, but they are rare. He is very consistent in his own end.
Carle is without a doubt a #2 NHL defenseman. He is a better all round player then Coburn is. I think it's a stretch to label Suter a #1. More like a very good #2.

I agree 100% that the Flyers need a big shot for the point. And that Suter upgrades the Flyers in that area.
This is where I believe we disagree, Carle can be argued for the #2 spot on the Flyers. Just my preference I would take Coburn over Carle. Even on another team Carle can be a #2 defender. Just Suter is a #1 on a lot of teams. You can't say that about Carle. I agree with you Carle is hated on a ton here, and I have did it in the past, but saying Suter is not a #1 is what I find just wrong to be honest.

It's good to agree to disagree, but I just think you either believe Suter isn't as good a defenseman he is or overrate Carle. I actually think its the former. I'm just making my points by using the knowledge I have from watching both players play a reasonable amount of games, and I come to the conclusion that Suter is a #1 and Carle is a #2/#3 defender.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
  #174
VanSciver
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
This is where I believe we disagree, Carle can be argued for the #2 spot on the Flyers. Just my preference I would take Coburn over Carle. Even on another team Carle can be a #2 defender. Just Suter is a #1 on a lot of teams. You can't say that about Carle. I agree with you Carle is hated on a ton here, and I have did it in the past, but saying Suter is not a #1 is what I find just wrong to be honest.

It's good to agree to disagree, but I just think you either believe Suter isn't as good a defenseman he is or overrate Carle. I actually think its the former. I'm just making my points by using the knowledge I have from watching both players play a reasonable amount of games, and I come to the conclusion that Suter is a #1 and Carle is a #2/#3 defender.
I think in terms of choosing Coburn or Carle, it's about the need you have. Are you looking an all around puck mover, who can provide offense, and play well in his own end, like Carle. Or are you looking for a more defensive stay at home physical type like Coburn. It's about what your looking for. And you need a mix of both to have a good team. If Suter was my #1, then I would want a Coburn type as a compliment to him, as a #2. Versus a Carle.
I would agree with you totally that Suter is closer to a #1 then Carle is. But I honestly feel both are really #2's. But I agree totally with another poster that adding that quality shot from the point is a definite need for the Flyers. And Carle doesn't have that.


Last edited by VanSciver: 05-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.
VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
  #175
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
I think in terms of choosing Coburn or Carle, it's about the need you have. Are you looking an all around puck mover, who can provide offense, and play well in his own end, like Carle. Or are you looking for a more defensive stay at home physical type like Coburn. It's about what your looking for. And you need a mix of both to have a good team. If Suter was my #1, then I would want a Coburn type as a compliment to him, as a #2. Versus a Carle.
I would agree with you totally that Suter is closer to a #1 then Carle is. But I honestly feel both are really #2's. But I agree totally with another poster that adding that quality shot from the point is a definite need for the Flyers. And Carle doesn't have that.
Lol I was the other poster that said that, it's one of the main reasons I covet him and want the Flyers to sign him. That shot is desperately needed.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.