HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rule change on shot blocking?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
  #76
One7nine
Registered User
 
One7nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neptune, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
The only reason you say its ridiculous is your boys lost game 1. Where were you when Washington beat the briuns blocking shots? Your problem is that the team that is doing it the best, beat your boys in game 1. Maybe the Devils should learn how to block shots! Theres more to the game than goal scoring. That's what makes hockey, hockey. If you dont want anything else you should go watch the NBA.

I can't agree with this, I had a problem with it during the first round. I don't agree with a rule change though. I think it's another fad thing that teams will figure out and exploit and then it will be over.

One7nine is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
  #77
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
sorry for keeping the puck out of our net i didnt know you were suppose to get scored on

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
  #78
null33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One7nine View Post
Didn't Bob Gainey recommend that there be a rule that there has to be one skate blade on the ice while blocking shots?

NCAA already does this:

HR-68 RULE 6 / PLAYING RULES
PENALTY—Minor.
b. A defending player, except the goalkeeper, shall not be permitted to fall
on the puck, hold the puck or gather the puck into the body or hands
when the puck is within the goal crease.
PENALTY—Penalty shot/optional minor; an additional penalty shall not
be assessed.

c. If a player leaves the feet to play the puck and does not make contact with the opponent, play shall continue.

Note: This section is intended to restrict the diving or sliding type of body block. It is not intended to restrict a player who has fallen to the ice from playing the puck or to prevent a player from going down on one or both knees to block a shot.
Yet another judgement call for the refs to make?

No thanks.

null33 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
  #79
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Trapezoid.
the devils are not made of a team of who feel the urge to play the puck behind the net. if every player on the devils wasnt allowed to touch the puck behind the net that would be a conspiracy.

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
  #80
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDevil View Post
Serious question. Do you think their will be a change in the rules as a result of the Rangers shot blocking?
Ridonkulous

birddog* is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:04 PM
  #81
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Yet another judgement call for the refs to make?

No thanks.
could you imagine the *****ing that would be going on every game about a ref missing this

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:06 PM
  #82
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
I think they should.

The Rangers are ruining the sport by putting their health on the line for a hockey game. Blocked shots can be extremely dangerous and I think this is a dark moment in hockey history. Now the new generation players will play with spongy equipment and practicing to slide in front of pucks. Expect a sharp decline in hockey talent over the next 2 decades.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  #83
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
When the goalie covers 80% of the net, on his own, with his gigantic pads, and then you have 5guys blocking shots for him, what good is a screen?

There is literally nowhere to get the puck thru unless some freak bounce happens.

Thats really my issue. Maybe the NHL needs to size down padding again? Bigger nets? Its not just Lundqvist, either. So im not just picking on him. It is getting ridiculous, though.
Again... five players standing in front of a goalie makes it very hard for the goalie to see the puck. If the goalie can't see the puck, then move the puck around and get the players/goalie to move.

Or you know what? Just start shooting high. If five players are standing in front of the net, shooting hard and high might get a few players to think twice about getting in front of the puck and having their pretty faces shattered.

The better team either works around the strength of the opposition, or makes the opposition not play their game.

There are faults in the Rangers game as well. It's not an infallible system.

King'sPawn is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  #84
Devilshark
Registered Abuser
 
Devilshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
sorry for keeping the puck out of our net i didnt know you were suppose to get scored on
Its not a problem as long as the other team has an actual chance to do something about it. The rules currently protect defending players away from the puck. So if Ryan Callahan wants to stand still and be a human shield, he can do it and not be touched in the process. If 3 guys do it, its pretty much impossible to do anything about it without getting them to move, by their own accord or by force.


The latter option will just hand the other team a PP. Its a hockey catch 22, unless you have some serious puck luck.

Devilshark is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
  #85
Rexy
Registered User
 
Rexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
just when I think I've couldn't read any dumber rule change suggestions than I've already read.......

Rexy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
  #86
LetsG0Devils
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
So your counter-argument against a shot-blocking rule is to provide even more stats that show there's a ton of shot-blocking ?

I'm not in favour of such rule by the way. I don't see anything wrong with what the Rangers are doing. What I don't get is why Rangers fans are getting so defensive about it. It IS boring as hell to watch. Why would you care, your team keeps winning.
This pretty much sums up everything perfectly.

LetsG0Devils is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:10 PM
  #87
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Again... five players standing in front of a goalie makes it very hard for the goalie to see the puck. If the goalie can't see the puck, then move the puck around and get the players/goalie to move.

Or you know what? Just start shooting high. If five players are standing in front of the net, shooting hard and high might get a few players to think twice about getting in front of the puck and having their pretty faces shattered.

The better team either works around the strength of the opposition, or makes the opposition not play their game.

There are faults in the Rangers game as well. It's not an infallible system.
Players generally try to block a shot before the puck gets high. It's blocked right after it gets off the ice and hits them in the thigh.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:10 PM
  #88
RedBruin
Registered User
 
RedBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Did you read my other posts? People weren't complaining when the Caps blocked shots. Just because we are winning while doing it is why people are complaining.
This is nonsense. People are not complaining about it because YOUR team is winning, people are complaining because A team playing this hardcore-boring style is winning. Stop with this conspiracy crap. What do the Caps have to do with this topic, at all ? They're not the ones in the finals. If they were people would be all over them as well, go and actually read some of their GDTs.
And the Rangers fanboys defending it to death are just as ridiculous as those proposing rule changes just because a team defends well.
Again, nothing wrong with what the Rangers are doing but stop being such babies about the criticism.

RedBruin is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:10 PM
  #89
HagsSwag
Registered User
 
HagsSwag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Its not a problem as long as the other team has an actual chance to do something about it. The rules currently protect defending players away from the puck. So if Ryan Callahan wants to stand still and be a human shield, he can do it and not be touched in the process. If 3 guys do it, its pretty much impossible to do anything about it without getting them to move, by their own accord or by force.

Its called a pass to a player in open ice. Try it some time.

HagsSwag is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
  #90
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Right or wrong, the NHL doesn't want a team that scores only 222 goals in 82 goals having 51 wins, IMO.
The Blues had nearly that many wins and had far fewer goals.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
  #91
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsG0Devils View Post
This pretty much sums up everything perfectly.
No, it doesn't. None of us are saying it isn't boring. We are getting defensive because it must be a massive coincidence that now people decide to complain. Where were the complaints last year? How come no one complained about Washington blocking even more shots than the Rangers?

Screw You Rick Nash is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:13 PM
  #92
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
This is nonsense. People are not complaining about it because YOUR team is winning, people are complaining because A team playing this hardcore-boring style is winning. Stop with this conspiracy crap. What do the Caps have to do with this topic, at all ? They're not the ones in the finals. If they were people would be all over them as well, go and actually read some of their GDTs.
And the Rangers fanboys defending it to death are just as ridiculous as those proposing rule changes just because a team defends well.
Again, nothing wrong with what the Rangers are doing but stop being such babies about the criticism.
no this devil fan is complaining about our team because hank shut them out yesterday

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:13 PM
  #93
defense447713
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
rooting for the devils but loved the way the rangers sacrificed their bodies last night and have throughout the season. I think some fail to realize the courage it takes to get into a shooting lane and take one one of those off the body, especially considering they arent wearing a full face shield like in college. Also, the rangers d-zone coverage is terrific. They are always in lanes and take away time and space better then any team i have seen so far this playoff season. When you execute defensive zone coverage as well as the rangers, a high number of blocked shots will result.

defense447713 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:14 PM
  #94
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
This is nonsense. People are not complaining about it because YOUR team is winning, people are complaining because A team playing this hardcore-boring style is winning. Stop with this conspiracy crap. What do the Caps have to do with this topic, at all ? They're not the ones in the finals. If they were people would be all over them as well, go and actually read some of their GDTs.
And the Rangers fanboys defending it to death are just as ridiculous as those proposing rule changes just because a team defends well.
Again, nothing wrong with what the Rangers are doing but stop being such babies about the criticism.
No one wanted a rule change after Washington beat Boston. How come?

Screw You Rick Nash is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
  #95
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,258
vCash: 500
Yep of course they are going to change a rule because several teams give it there all, block shots and win because of their hard work

Please close this ridiculous thread

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
  #96
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Its not a problem as long as the other team has an actual chance to do something about it. The rules currently protect defending players away from the puck. So if Ryan Callahan wants to stand still and be a human shield, he can do it and not be touched in the process. If 3 guys do it, its pretty much impossible to do anything about it without getting them to move, by their own accord or by force.


The latter option will just hand the other team a PP. Its a hockey catch 22, unless you have some serious puck luck.
you can pass you know....3 guys guarding 1 is a terrible system....also you guys got 21 shots on hanks and some great chances he just shut you down

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
  #97
Victory*
We're Still In It
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,260
vCash: 500
Obviously not. Stop being ******** and think about your question. There's no way they remove a tactic teams use in which they sacrifice their bodies to gain an advantage. Isn't that what hockey is about? Even if it is proposed, no way it is passed, or else it would be the death of hockey.

Victory* is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
  #98
Devilshark
Registered Abuser
 
Devilshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagsSwag View Post
Its called a pass to a player in open ice. Try it some time.
Washington tried that, and there were no shooting lanes. Did we watch the same series? How many times did they pass back and forth along the point, for minutes at a time, because there was no shooting lanes, or room to even attempt taking a shot without risking an odd man rush?

Torts found a way to beat the system. You could put 5 Malkins out there against NYR and youll get the same result. The best way to beat it, is to copy it.

Devilshark is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:17 PM
  #99
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by defense447713 View Post
rooting for the devils but loved the way the rangers sacrificed their bodies last night and have throughout the season. I think some fail to realize the courage it takes to get into a shooting lane and take one one of those off the body, especially considering they arent wearing a full face shield like in college. Also, the rangers d-zone coverage is terrific. They are always in lanes and take away time and space better then any team i have seen so far this playoff season. When you execute defensive zone coverage as well as the rangers, a high number of blocked shots will result.
exactly you dont see the stars blocking many shots. there is the occasional star who does everything he can for his team but guys like gabs and richie arent shot blockers at all

Dactyl is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:17 PM
  #100
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Guys, I think Stamkos' wrist shot is too good, think they should make rule that allows him to only use a rotted wooden stick? It's not fair to the rest of the league.
Stamkos has the right of way but none of the goalies in the league are even allowed to turn.

The New Originals is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.