HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tangradi's next contract

Old
05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Superstar Shane

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
It's only if you want to obtain his RFA rights. It's the value of qualifying offer. You don't have to sign him for that price.
You do know that a player has the option of, you know, signing his qualifying offer, right?

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Put him with Sid. Kids got potential you can tell by the way he was playing towards the end of the year.
nope

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Tangradi isn't a member of The Dan Bylsma Country Club. Only veterans are allowed.
Craig Adams is the VP.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Pretty much. It's interesting to me that the only rookies that ever get any shot with Dan are defensemen.

IF you are a forward, you might as well just not sign and wait to be a UFA and go somewhere else it seems. I know I am being overly dramatic with that last statement but it seriously looks like that at times. Any time Tangradi does anything positive, it seems like he's punished for it by not taking another shift for a long freakin' time.

As far as his contract stuff, I think around the same price for 1 more year.
that's because playing 5 d the majority of the game is much harder than playing with 11 forwards. you really can't keep the D on the bench. and then they looked good so they got minutes. the forwards get less time to show if they are good or not.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Put him with Sid. Kids got potential you can tell by the way he was playing towards the end of the year.
Matt Cooke played well with Sid...anyone would play well with Sid

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Honour Over Glory

If Jeffrey can improve his skating, so can Tangradi. What I would like to see from Tangradi is better conditioning. He's a big guy, that's all you hear...but he doesn't use his size to punish people or create more room for himself, unless he's in the AHL and even then, it's not consistently enough.

If he heads to Gary Roberts' Gym with Neal and whomever else from the Pens that goes and changes Tangradi's lifestyle from eating to working out and Eric continues to work on his skating, there is no telling how improved he could be when September rolls around. That's about 5 months away. IF any of us were to commit ourselves to training for 5months, you'd be astonished with the results.

The only thing that truly angers me is the way Dan handles rookies, maybe he doesn't see it as well, it wouldn't just be Dan's fault though. Ray Shero is HIS boss, if his boss can't see it, it's a bigger issue than just the coach being a hard ass with rookies.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
They looked real good together in the limited shifts they had at the tail end of this last year. Kunitz-Sid-Tangradi

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
that's because playing 5 d the majority of the game is much harder than playing with 11 forwards. you really can't keep the D on the bench. and then they looked good so they got minutes. the forwards get less time to show if they are good or not.
As a defenseman most of my ice hockey playing life, trust me...I get that. But he seems to be willing to give young defensemen more important minutes than he would a forward that has put together a few solid shifts.

It takes Craig Adams 1 mediocre shift to be in the top 6 for a couple of shifts, Tangradi can have 5 good shifts in a row and he's stuck trying to make magic happen with Vitale and Asham/Adams.

It takes more than a few shifts in a game to build chemistry, we all know this, coaches definitely know this...if Dan ever tried to play him with someone like Staal who I think would suit his style better, in practices and in games, I think we'd see the guy actually blossom into something valuable to the team.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
As a defenseman most of my ice hockey playing life, trust me...I get that. But he seems to be willing to give young defensemen more important minutes than he would a forward that has put together a few solid shifts.

It takes Craig Adams 1 mediocre shift to be in the top 6 for a couple of shifts, Tangradi can have 5 good shifts in a row and he's stuck trying to make magic happen with Vitale and Asham/Adams.
no I don't disagree with you. Dan definitely loves his vet forwards. I don't know if he sees himself in guys like Adams and Park or what but he just can't help himself. But as it stands it would be stupid to plan on him being in the top 6. If he gets a 3rd/4th line spot and proves that he's better than another winger then put him up there, but he shouldn't start the year above the 3rd line.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Pretty much. It's interesting to me that the only rookies that ever get any shot with Dan are defensemen.

IF you are a forward, you might as well just not sign and wait to be a UFA and go somewhere else it seems. I know I am being overly dramatic with that last statement but it seriously looks like that at times. Any time Tangradi does anything positive, it seems like he's punished for it by not taking another shift for a long freakin' time.

As far as his contract stuff, I think around the same price for 1 more year.
If Adams were at camp in '05, then Sid would have been sent back to juniors.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
What? his entire life? in the AHL ??

Colin Mcdonald played in top-6 too, let's bring him up and put him on Sid's wing.

Tangradi is slow, he can't keep the tempo with Sid.

Will you go with the same logic for Jeffrey as well?

Do you know why Sid played with wingers like Dupuis, Sullivan or Kunitz? Because of SPEED !!!
Except when actually watching it in a game situation, you see that's not even remotely true.

He shouldn't be playing with Sid next year (at the start at least), but to say he can't keep up just isn't true based on previous examples.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub View Post
You do know that a player has the option of, you know, signing his qualifying offer, right?
Sure, as any other offers in the NHL. But what's your point?

I was arguing the guy who said, he should be signed for 726,000.. I said he doesn't have to be signed for that..it's the minimum if GM wants to keep RFA rights. Sure thing, the player can reject it.

Shero didn't offer the qualifying offer to Kennedy. He turned into UFA, but still signed the contract later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Except when actually watching it in a game situation, you see that's not even remotely true.

He shouldn't be playing with Sid next year (at the start at least), but to say he can't keep up just isn't true based on previous examples.
For me, Sid's winger's biggest asset should be the speed. Like Duper's, Kunitz's, Sully's,... Tangradi is nowhere near, speed-wise, to those players.

I just don't understand why are we even talking about Sid's winger if we've got one in Tangradi.

Some people have not been okay with top-4 role for Despres, but are fine with Tangradi's top-6 role. I don't get it. That's laughable !

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:57 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
For me, Sid's winger's biggest asset should be the speed. Like Duper's, Kunitz's, Sully's,... Tangradi is nowhere near, speed-wise, to those players.

I just don't understand why are we even talking about Sid's winger if we've got one in Tangradi.

Some people have not been okay with top-4 role for Despres, but are fine with Tangradi's top-6 role. I don't get it. That's laughable !
You can talk about what you want in Sid's winger all you want, but the fact remains that when he's been put on a line with Crosby, he's been able to keep up and play effective.

He's not ready to play there full time yet, but from actually watching him in games I have no worries about it if and when it does happen.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:57 PM
mpp9

Tangradi and Despres are on different development paths. What's laughable?

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

As far his contract goes, you can't really go with what his NHL salary was last year. He wasn't really in the NHL last year to make any of that money. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed for something similar to Vitale or Jeffrey considering he hasn't proven anything yet in the NHL to justify a contract in the $700K range. He has to know that the lower the cap hit, the better his chance is to find a permanent spot on this team in the near future.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Tangradi isn't a member of The Dan Bylsma Country Club. Only veterans are allowed.
He was called up 7 times in the past 2 years, played in 39 games and has 1 goal, yes 1 goal and 4 assists in those games. How on earth has he not been given a chance? How on earth could you consider putting him anywhere except the 4th line with his lack of output? Finally in his last 2 call-ups he has started to figure things out when it comes to playing the game in the NHL. Now he needs to find the net, but he needs to earn his time. So, enough of the crap about him not getting a chance. It is just pure garbage.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:15 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
He was called up 7 times in the past 2 years, played in 39 games and has 1 goal, yes 1 goal and 4 assists in those games. How on earth has he not been given a chance? How on earth could you consider putting him anywhere except the 4th line with his lack of output?
Because 90% of that ice time was spent with either Craig Adams, Joe Vitale, Arron Asham, Mike Rupp, Richard Park or Eric Godard

steelcityassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
He was called up 7 times in the past 2 years, played in 39 games and has 1 goal, yes 1 goal and 4 assists in those games. How on earth has he not been given a chance? How on earth could you consider putting him anywhere except the 4th line with his lack of output? Finally in his last 2 call-ups he has started to figure things out when it comes to playing the game in the NHL. Now he needs to find the net, but he needs to earn his time. So, enough of the crap about him not getting a chance. It is just pure garbage.
In pretty much all of those call-ups, he was getting 4th line duty with very very very minimal top 6 time.

Just staring at how many times he's been called up vs watching the whole thing happen the last few years is different.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
You can talk about what you want in Sid's winger all you want, but the fact remains that when he's been put on a line with Crosby, he's been able to keep up and play effective.

He's not ready to play there full time yet, but from actually watching him in games I have no worries about it if and when it does happen.
We can talk about that over and over.

Thank God, the coach makes decisions and as it seems he doesn't see Tangradi as a top-6 player too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Tangradi and Despres are on different development paths. What's laughable?
Laughable is that some people want to put Tangradi into the top-6 but don't want to put Despres into the top-4. Or you think Tangradi is better prospect than Despres as well and deserves to play 17 minutes per game on Sid's wing?

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:23 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:

Thank God, the coach makes decisions and as it seems he doesn't see Tangradi as a top-6 player too.
I already said he's not a top 6 player yet. It's quite obvious. Yet again though, that doesn't mean he hasn't looked good playing with Crosby, and he doesn't have the speed to play with him.

Quote:
Laughable is that some people want to put Tangradi into the top-6 but don't want to put Despres into the top-4. Or you think Tangradi is better prospect than Despres as well and deserves to play 17 minutes per game on Sid's wing?
Name me one person who wants Tangradi in the top 6 starting next year.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Honour Over Glory

It always boggles my mind how other teams give their prospects more chances (forward ones) than the Pens do, you'd think the team that spends to the cap every year should be hoping some of their prospects actually do well with better minutes.

Also, I hate Craig Adams. He's a good guy, but Craig Adams the player...I have this intense hatred for him now.

I feel ashamed.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
mpp9

Quote:

Both could end up in significant roles by next spring, who knows. You're way off base but I'll leave it at that.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
Because 90% of that ice time was spent with either Craig Adams, Joe Vitale, Arron Asham, Mike Rupp, Richard Park or Eric Godard
Quote:
In pretty much all of those call-ups, he was getting 4th line duty with very very very minimal top 6 time.

Just staring at how many times he's been called up vs watching the whole thing happen the last few years is different.
I would say 80%. He did get some chances with the big boys. He has not proven in anyway shape or form that he can consistently score or really even score at all on this level. It will come, but it would be insane to just plug him in up on the top 6. Playing in the top 6 doesn't make you exempt from scoring by the way. Asham has 5 goals each season playing mostly 4th line duty and he only logged 44 and 64 games respectively. Rupp scored 9 goals and had 8 assists in a 4th line role. I am not buying this nonsense at all.

...and yes, if you watched it happen, you would understand why he has been positioned where he is at. He struggled mightily. Playing on the 4th line actually took some pressure off of him and helped his development. I am not starring at how many times he gets called up. I am using facts to back up what I already know. You are the second person to insult me with crap like that today. Cut it out.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
See HOG's comment, below...

Quote:

Quote:
It always boggles my mind how other teams give their prospects more chances (forward ones) than the Pens do, you'd think the team that spends to the cap every year should be hoping some of their prospects actually do well with better minutes.

Also, I hate Craig Adams. He's a good guy, but Craig Adams the player...I have this intense hatred for him now.

I feel ashamed.
Craig Adams - stealing spots from prospects since 2011

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:31 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
I would say 80%. He did get some chances with the big boys. He has not proven in anyway shape or form that he can consistently score or really even score at all on this level. It will come, but it would be insane to just plug him in up on the top 6. Playing in the top 6 doesn't make you exempt from scoring by the way. Asham has 5 goals each season playing mostly 4th line duty and he only logged 44 and 64 games respectively. Rupp scored 9 goals and had 8 assists in a 4th line role. I am not buying this nonsense at all.
I think it's a combination of who he was playing with, getting used to the speed of the NHL game, and worrying about making even the smallest mistake for fear of being benched that resulted in him not being very productive. Every single one of those things gets rectifiied with more NHL playing time.

You need a coach who trusts in your abilities and keeps putting you out there though.