HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rule change on shot blocking?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
  #101
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Hey, while we're having this conversation, lets make another rule. No more poke checks by goalies. They arent allowed to play the puck unless its been shot.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
  #102
DanZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Not a skill play? Ha-ha-ha! You're funny.
A sliding block does take some timing, but besides that, what else does it take? Throwing your body in front of a puck is not hard, especially the go-down-on-one-knee move and wait for the shot to hit you... It takes guts, but hardly any skill

DanZ is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
  #103
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
No one wanted a rule change after Washington beat Boston. How come?
Cause Washington didn't shutout the Devils.

Muh is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
  #104
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Washington tried that, and there were no shooting lanes. Did we watch the same series? How many times did they pass back and forth along the point, for minutes at a time, because there was no shooting lanes, or room to even attempt taking a shot without risking an odd man rush?

Torts found a way to beat the system, and has the right guys to do it. The league will react accordingly if the SCF ratings are in the gutter, despite having a NY/LA final.
they arent beating the system blocking shots is legal

Dactyl is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  #105
Uncle Sam
Registered User
 
Uncle Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: America
Country: United States
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
OP, get in front of a shot before you say its a no skill play. Don't see how commitment and dedication to the team is ruining the game.

Uncle Sam is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  #106
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,420
vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Washington tried that, and there were no shooting lanes. Did we watch the same series? How many times did they pass back and forth along the point, for minutes at a time, because there was no shooting lanes, or room to even attempt taking a shot without risking an odd man rush?

Torts found a way to beat the system, and has the right guys to do it. The league will react accordingly if the SCF ratings are in the gutter, despite having a NY/LA final.
So we should be forced to give teams shooting lanes? Find one yourself. How come Washington kept scoring above Lundqvist's glove? If the blocking shots ruins hockey, how come we lost six playoff games so far?

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:19 PM
  #107
Skrimpy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
...and lets draw lines on the ice where d-men arent allowed to stop. $#!/, let's not have D men at all.

Skrimpy is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  #108
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
OP, get in front of a shot before you say its a no skill play. Don't see how commitment and dedication to the team is ruining the game.
because the devils didnt score

Dactyl is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  #109
defense447713
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Washington tried that, and there were no shooting lanes. Did we watch the same series? How many times did they pass back and forth along the point, for minutes at a time, because there was no shooting lanes, or room to even attempt taking a shot without risking an odd man rush?

Torts found a way to beat the system, and has the right guys to do it. The league will react accordingly if the SCF ratings are in the gutter, despite having a NY/LA final.
clogging up the shooting lanes is one of the most important aspects of d-zone coverage. Just because the rangers are executing it better then any team doesnt mean there is a flaw in the system.

defense447713 is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
  #110
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
right after the NFL makes batting down a pass illegal. I mean, wouldn't football be way more offensive and therefore "fun" to watch if qb's could connect on deep passes without any defensive players being able to interfere?

or the NBA makes blocking a shot illegal. Basketball would see a serious uptick in scoring, and therefore the game would be more "fun" to watch, right?

or any other sport tries to create more points by taking away a fundamental of defense.

If you're advocating making a "shot blocking" rule, then you're probably a fan of a team that doesn't have a mind-set, or players willing, to throw themselves in front of shots. As a fan of a team that does it willingly al the time, it's amazing to watch. Forcing offensive players to make a strong play and find a good lane.

The Capitals blocked WAY more shots then the NYR in the last series, a nd I didn't see a single post from NYR fans crying about how hard it was to generate offense.

SlingshotVv is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
  #111
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
serious question for the OP...if you guys scored last night would you still be on this rant or is this just because lundy stopped the 21 shots that got to him

Dactyl is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
  #112
LetsG0Devils
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
No, it doesn't. None of us are saying it isn't boring. We are getting defensive because it must be a massive coincidence that now people decide to complain. Where were the complaints last year? How come no one complained about Washington blocking even more shots than the Rangers?
I honestly think if the Devils were facing The Capitals right now and played us the way they did you, it'd be brought up.

Then again, I dunno if they'd play us the way they played you, because they were playing you the same way you played them.

Also, it's not really until you're in the spotlight before people notice these things.

I do think it'd be a dumb rule though.

LetsG0Devils is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:23 PM
  #113
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
A sliding block does take some timing, but besides that, what else does it take? Throwing your body in front of a puck is not hard, especially the go-down-on-one-knee move and wait for the shot to hit you... It takes guts, but hardly any skill
Throwing a hit in the corner doesn't take skill either. Intercepting a pass coming through where you happen to be standing doesn't take a ton of skill. Butterfly goalies getting set prior to a shot and having the angle played well isn't as skillful as a goalie throwing himself all over the crease making kick saves.

This whole idea is nonsense. Let's remove all those things from the game.

Then make the nets as big as soccer, and allow for extra point shots after a goal, to really make the game more interesting.

SlingshotVv is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:23 PM
  #114
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
renney had them block shots too where were all of you when we were struggling to make the playoffs

Dactyl is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:23 PM
  #115
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
serious question for the OP...if you guys scored last night would you still be on this rant or is this just because lundy stopped the 21 shots that got to him
To be fair, I don't think OP intended this thread to turn into this. He isn't the poster everyone is replying to.

Muh is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
  #116
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
If the Devils employed the shot blocking system, Girardi wouldn't have scored that 1st goal of the game.

That would've changed the whole complexion of the game.

Why don't the Devils do it? Their forwards are pretty big and relatively mobile, so why not help the goalie out and take one for the team?

Kershaw is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
  #117
BomChikaBulin
Registered User
 
BomChikaBulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
I guess playing goalie results in a 60 minute poweplay.....

BomChikaBulin is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
  #118
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,790
vCash: 1220
I'm on my phone but if someone could post the nogodnomichaelscott.gif , that would be much appreciated.

5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
  #119
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
To be fair, I don't think OP intended this thread to turn into this. He isn't the poster everyone is replying to.
oh woops my mistake didnt realize that. sorry OP

Dactyl is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
  #120
NYDevil
Registered User
 
NYDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Yep of course they are going to change a rule because several teams give it there all, block shots and win because of their hard work

Please close this ridiculous thread
No one is calling to completely eliminate shot blocking. The question is if their may be a possible change in the rules on how you can block a shot.

NYDevil is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
  #121
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
If the Devils employed the shot blocking system, Girardi wouldn't have scored that 1st goal of the game.

That would've changed the whole complexion of the game.

Why don't the Devils do it? Their forwards are pretty big and relatively mobile, so why not help the goalie out and take one for the team?
Because Devil players are more interested in t.v. ratings then their team winning.

SlingshotVv is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:27 PM
  #122
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,420
vCash: 2810
The Canadiens must have been ****ing pissed when they found out players will start to come out of the box after they score instead of serving the full two minutes.

Kane One is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
  #123
EJS280
Registered User
 
EJS280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
The complaining about the Rangers shot blocking, including this thread, is some of the dumbest *****ing and moaning I have ever heard any fan of any sport do. I honestly do not understand it. You got guys risking their bodies (really their life even, if one of these 100 mph slappers catches a face or throat) and we have people complaining that it is ruining the game and making it boring. Thats ****ing stupid. Period.

1. If it's not a skill then anyone should be able to do it right? So tell the other 28 (Washington did it) to grow a sack and block some shots with their hands, arms, legs, skates, faces like NYR is.

2. In actuality it is a skill that takes practice and commitment, so sorry NY is one of the few committing to it.

I understand it can be extremely frustrating if you are on the opposition as on the flip side we are one of the worst teams at getting shots through, but take a step back and realize it was gladiatoresque what Girardi, McD, Callahan, Boyle, Fedotenko, etc. do every night.

Don't hate it, admire it.

EJS280 is online now  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
  #124
NYDevil
Registered User
 
NYDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
oh woops my mistake didnt realize that. sorry OP
It's fine and I started this thread because they where talking about it on NHL home Ice on SiriusXM. Just curious if their might be a rule change based on How you block the shot. No one is calling for a rule change to completely eliminate them.

NYDevil is offline  
Old
05-15-2012, 07:29 PM
  #125
RedBruin
Registered User
 
RedBruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
No, it doesn't. None of us are saying it isn't boring. We are getting defensive because it must be a massive coincidence that now people decide to complain. Where were the complaints last year? How come no one complained about Washington blocking even more shots than the Rangers?
Why would anyone complain last year. Two of the top offensive teams in the league played in the Cup finals.
I saw a lot of "complaints" about the Caps, but now that they're out there's little point continuing it.

Quote:
No one wanted a rule change after Washington beat Boston. How come?
I don't know. I don't have to know, I'm not making a point in favour of a rule change. Plenty of people had problems with their ultra-defensive style back then as well. If they were in the conference finals right now instead of the Rangers people would be all over them too. The team being successful while employing a strategy that's not appreciated will get more heat than the team employing the same strategy and not being successful with it, seems quite obvious to me. Some can state valid criticism and leave it at that while others overreact and demand rule changes, that's just the way it is. No need to get your knickers in a twist and scream conspiracy.

RedBruin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.