HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais, a really good 2nd line center?

Old
05-15-2012, 03:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Actually Pacioretty said that DD was the best centreman he's ever played with.

Cole also always has great things to say about him.
"Lately Dave (Desharnais) has come up huge and that's why we won this game. Dave is probably the best player I've ever played with. He's proven that the more people doubt him, the better he is," Pacioretty said.

You're right, my bad. I could've sworn there was another part but can't find it.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

vCash: 500
Not to piss on Desharnais, who I love dearly, but Paccioretty saying "he's the best player I ever played with" doesn't mean much. It's not like Max has this huge history of playing with HOFmers.

That being said, he's a great 2nd line center, especially playing after a two-ways first line center who can handle the though assignments.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Not to piss on Desharnais, who I love dearly, but Paccioretty saying "he's the best player I ever played with" doesn't mean much. It's not like Max has this huge history of playing with HOFmers.

That being said, he's a great 2nd line center, especially playing after a two-ways first line center who can handle the though assignments.
And no one said max's opinion means DD is a superstar either. I think even with limited experience, it's good to hear about DD just the same.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Desharnais is a good second line center, but he has to be surrounded by other centers who can lessen his defensive responsibilities to a minimum.

His overall game will get better and it's not like he's a disaster defensively.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Your defense is horrible and should be your real concern

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
MXD

Really not a prototypical 2nd C (IMO, the prototypical 2nd C is Rod Brind'Amour, so...), but a very good 2nd C, and he's a guy that could really do DAMAGE if Sedin gets the toughest matchups (which he should get).

Desharnais got size problems, but he is actually faster than what suggested by most and is actually pretty decent along the boards. All in all, think of a manlier version of Mike Ribeiro.

On a 30 teams "league", DD is a low-end 1st C (with the right surroundings) or a high-end, albeit untypical, 2nd C. Good job setting him up with JVR and Okposo. The comments on the first page (re. Desharnais not being a good C) actually says much more on the knowledge level of their authors than about anything else.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Asamu

Here are some links about David Desharnais from the sport show l'Antichambre before starting the season 2011-2012.

I know that I've been linking these videos for a couple of months now but it took me some time to translate hehe. Subtitles are in English! And yes I'm a homer from Saguenay and I really want Parenteau with the CH: 2 Ex Sags in the same team!

Part 1
Part 2

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
Here are some links about David Desharnais from the sport show l'Antichambre before starting the season 2011-2012.

I know that I've been linking these videos for a couple of months now but it took me some time to translate hehe. Subtitles are in English! And yes I'm a homer from Saguenay and I really want Parenteau with the CH: 2 Ex Sags in the same team!

Part 1
Part 2
since people are tlaking about bad defence...look no further than PA Parenteau

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:31 PM
JohnLennon

I've got to say, I don't think Desharnais is very good defensively. That said, he more than makes up for it with his outstanding vision and great passing skills. I'd say you got a great pick with DD at second line center because he is arguably a first line center on many teams.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Drydenwasthebest

If you want to be surprised, go look at DD and Giroux' first two seasons and compare them. DD has the right chemistry with Pacioretty and Cole. DD is a top six center, especially between C&P. We do not need to replace DD, we need a big center to play with Bourque and Gionta so we can roll two top offensive lines. Keep DD and let him develop with C&P into our own version of Giroux.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:46 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
If you want to be surprised, go look at DD and Giroux' first two seasons and compare them. DD has the right chemistry with Pacioretty and Cole. DD is a top six center, especially between C&P. We do not need to replace DD, we need a big center to play with Bourque and Gionta so we can roll two top offensive lines. Keep DD and let him develop with C&P into our own version of Giroux.
That's a funny one ! We need two big and younger wingers to play with Pleks...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
That's a funny one ! We need two big and younger wingers to play with Pleks...
Actually, no. We need at least one big, physical center who can score and distribute the puck while being able and willing to crash the net. I love Plekanec, but two small centers are not going to bring us a Cup. We need one big center to support Gionta and get Bourque to shift his butt into gear. Adding another top LW is also a consideration, but the big center is the key.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

Yes, Max is playing with some pretty good players right now for USA. But that's not a slight to Desharnais. I just hope he comes in hungry next year.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
No Style Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
This is the closest example to the correct pronunciation. The "nay" part is wrong but there's no english sounding equivalent.
Actually, if you pronounce the English word net but without the -t at the end, you will get the right vowel sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mi...nrounded_vowel

No Style Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Protest the Hero

The positive part of his let's say average defensive play is that he won't be used to shutdown top lines from other teams. He'll usually get a favourable match up, except if he has Pacioretty and Cole on his line again they'll face the opponents top defensemen more often than not.

His job is only to put up points, so you don't have to worry about him getting too much PK time, or being put into situations where it might be tough to put points on the board like Plekanec.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Actually, no. We need at least one big, physical center who can score and distribute the puck while being able and willing to crash the net. I love Plekanec, but two small centers are not going to bring us a Cup. We need one big center to support Gionta and get Bourque to shift his butt into gear. Adding another top LW is also a consideration, but the big center is the key.
Montreal needs better wingers, not centers, especially with Kostitsyn gone.

In case you forgot, aside from Plekanec, there's also a Lars Eller on the team, which could be a key piece of the Habs' future. He's a big center, can distribute the puck, not soft, is willing to go to the net and has been constantly developing and improving despite being misused most of the time last season. At one point, he centered the most effective line on the team with Kostitsyn and Moen. The coach kept tossing Eller from line to line, from one role to another. I wonder what he could have done with stable and quality line-mates like Pacioretty and Cole.

Back to the topic, Desharnais really proved his doubters wrong this year and I was no exception. It's unfortunate for the guy, because of his size, people will always have doubts whether he can repeat what he did the previous year. Just like small players like Briere, it'll take several good seasons under his belt before he gets the recognition of being a solid top two center in the league.

Desharnais' status is kind of like Grabovski in a way. It is natural for Leafs fans to feel that Grabovski is a legit top 6 center in the league. However, despite having produced numbers like one, a lot of hockey fans from other teams would not be happy having him as their second center.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's say an opposing forward has the puck and there's only one Hab in a position to to try to contain him before he reaches Price:

1) Desharnais
2) Plekanec
3) Eller

Would anyone choose Desharnais?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:55 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's say an opposing forward has the puck and there's only one Hab in a position to to try to contain him before he reaches Price:

1) Desharnais
2) Plekanec
3) Eller

Would anyone choose Desharnais?
Well, no. But just because he's the worst out of our top 3 centers defensively, that doesn't mean he's terrible.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:59 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well, no. But just because he's the worst out of our top 3 centers defensively, that doesn't mean he's terrible.
Yeah, what an odd hypothetical.

It's a good way to approach things, give Desharnais' line as limited defensive minutes as you possibly can.

Not because he's awful defensively, but because other players are better defensively AND he's easily the most skilled playmaker this team has.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:38 PM
briann
Rookie User

Plekanec is a really good 2nd line centre

briann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
jwolf

Day-ar-nay

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

I actually think Desharnais is very good with sneaking behind players and stripping them of the puck in offensive zone. He has a high battle level and he doesn't give up on a play.

He actually has more takeaways than giveaways. 48 blocked shots and actually one of the best FO % on the team.

I think he's underrated defensively. I would not put him in a defensively battle in the defensive zone. I would rather Eller out of the two. However, in an offensive zone puck battle, I think DD is much better. I was about to say he is superior to Eller in that regard but Boucher Scouting proves otherwise. However, Boucher Scouting suggests they are very similar in neutral zone puck battles.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

I have stop doubting DD a long time ago, I'm getting sick of that crow. You people should do the same. He's the real deal. I'm sure he will be a 2nd/3rd line center in this league for a long time, and I hope it will be with the Habs. One of the better quality you can have in Montreal is having hockey on your mind and that what DD is all about.

Reminds me so much about Saku. No drama, no ********, just hockey.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:

Cole Desharnais Pacioretty

First scoring line

Bourque Eller Gionta

Second scoring line

Leblanc Plekanec Moen

defensive high talented foward line

shall we go that way ?

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimer11 View Post
Actually, if you pronounce the English word net but without the -t at the end, you will get the right vowel sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mi...nrounded_vowel

And actually, you'll get even closer to the right vowel sound if you can properly pronounce the Japanese 'ne' (ネ in katakana).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote